Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Famethrowa posted:

wow didn't even consider the psychological effects of that sublime experience. maybe rural Midwestern dq's were just built different at that point in history....

The flamethrower burger I had traveling through Platteville, WI with college best friend (we even detoured to go to ‘the good dq in Platteville’) was specifically memorable in how bad it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

The flamethrower burger I had traveling through Platteville, WI with college best friend (we even detoured to go to ‘the good dq in Platteville’) was specifically memorable in how bad it was.

ah see the problem was you didn't go to Antioch IL over the border, you see. it's the Chicago smog that does the trick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't hate Americans.

But God do I hate the American Empire.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Famethrowa posted:

ah see the problem was you didn't go to Antioch IL over the border, you see. it's the Chicago smog that does the trick.

This understanding of chicago smog fits with my white castle experiences.

Also explains why beefaroo, being fueled by rockford smog, is awful.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also explains why beefaroo, being fueled by rockford smog, is awful.

You can insult Rockford all you want but I will not tolerate this insult to beefaroo!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Flying Zamboni posted:

You can insult Rockford all you want but I will not tolerate this insult to beefaroo!

I’ll say something nice: It’s better than Machine Shed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

and the dutch person who thinks tiktokers shouldn't make a living off it just seems like a right-winger who doesn't want people she dislikes making sustainable income off what they consider "bad", entertainers are still workers and should be able to make an income from their profession.
making money off of tiktok in particular seems exhausting

https://twitter.com/MuseWendi/status/1678515933633970178

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

This seems like a thing that would be put in the background of a modern Robocop to show how hosed poo poo's become.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

I always like to mention that for all the people trying to make content, an infinitesimal fraction will actually generate an income to live off. It's like an entire industry of high school theater kid equivalents all expecting to move out to LA and get a big role.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't hate Americans.

But God do I hate the American Empire.

This!!! but also I hate Americans

The 7th Guest posted:

Lmao I'm officially old what the gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StealthArcher posted:

This seems like a thing that would be put in the background of a modern Robocop to show how hosed poo poo's become.
this is literally the same post that was made in response to that same tweet in a different thread lol

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao I'm officially old what the gently caress
the explanation I saw is she's a human soundboard, you buy an emoji and send it to her and she performs that emoji and gets a cut of the sale.

it's stupid and dystopian but I'm sure she makes okay money from it

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

It's basically kitschy busking but done on-line instead of next to a tourist trap.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah, I don't think people should make a living off of TikTok not in the sense that they should be prevented from doing so, just in the sense that it's a bad idea...

Honestly, this gets into a larger, philosophical problem accompanying the rise of the content-driven business model of social media platforms and the rise of things like the digital marketing industry and the recent emergence of LLMs for text and image generation. This whole rise of online content creation as an industry has led us into a situation where the internet is being swamped by junk content, which makes it increasingly more difficult for small creators who are actually creating meaningful content to be seen. You can make your jokes about how accurately the ending of MGS2 predicted the future of information distribution on the internet, but that increasingly seems to be where we're heading.

It's just such a lovely feeling to have seen the early internet as this promising tool that small creators could use to get their work out to the masses without having to go through more traditional distribution channels only to see it become increasingly corporatized and monopolized by the same people who used to control those distribution networks. The creative industry is, I think, one of the best use-cases of how capitalist systems do not and cannot work as a universal means to improving society. Ultimately, creative work is something whose value isn't easily measured through supply and demand because the thing that adds value to a creative work is not some kind of mathematical value inherent in the object itself, but the much more subjective emotional experience that a work evokes in the viewer. But that, of course, is not something that can be easily squared with the worldview of the money-making owner class. They need to view everything of revenue and value and how they can make a number on a spreadsheet go up, and thus they impose these sort of capitalist systems of value onto art so it benefits them and them alone.

And that's led to this situation where art is no longer a personal experience, it's just content to be consumed. The end goal is not to create more meaningful experiences or connections between artist and viewer, it's about producing more content to be monetized and shoved down the viewer's throat. It's about metrics like "engagement" and extracting more imaginary dollars out of keeping the masses watching a never-ending cavalcade of media slurry. The message no longer matters, only that more content is produced to make a number go up on a spreadsheet.

I'm an artist, so my perspective is going to be a bit different from video content creators, but it's a very disheartening feeling that a tool that originally promised to give the freedom of distribution to creators has been warped into something that just produces more content at the expense of the people making it.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

Tiktok livestreams are pretty terrible, at least all the ones i keep running into are. and i'm always somewhat surprised how many are just camcorder livestreams of retro games. each time it happens i feel like i fell into a timewarp or something.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Wait, where else would you keep plastic bags? It’s the most logical place.

We never had Danish cookie tins at my house because my parents hate Christmas and don’t have friends. We used Chinese sewing baskets. :shobon:

Eta: what the gently caress this thread moves so fast. My favorite part of that TikTok clip is she appears to be making popcorn one kernel at a time with a hair iron?

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

duck trucker posted:

It's basically kitschy busking but done on-line instead of next to a tourist trap.

And I really appreciate it! At least on TikTok I, random person on the street, isn't getting annoyed at whatever the local buskers are doing, as I don't have to see it. It would be a better world if all buskers could get free internet access and then a TikTok-account to do their thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I was told growing up that putting bags under the sink and drinking ginger ale when you have a tummy ache were Korean things, it's only after looking at social media that I realized everyone is told that :sweatdrop:

All Frogs posted:

Tiktok livestreams are pretty terrible, at least all the ones i keep running into are. and i'm always somewhat surprised how many are just camcorder livestreams of retro games. each time it happens i feel like i fell into a timewarp or something.
There was a point where seemingly every TikTok live was a man peeling a raw(?) egg without breaking the membrane. Absolutely horrid.

On the other hand sometimes they stream the entire Mario movie.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

mycot posted:

I was told growing up that putting bags under the sink and drinking ginger ale when you have a tummy ache were Korean things, it's only after looking at social media that I realized everyone is told that :sweatdrop:

There was a point where seemingly every TikTok live was a man peeling a raw(?) egg without breaking the membrane. Absolutely horrid.

On the other hand sometimes they stream the entire Mario movie.

i've seen some of those on facebook, too. i don't get it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

All Frogs posted:

i've seen some of those on facebook, too. i don't get it?

People wanna see the Mario movie but they don’t wanna pay

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Grassy Knowles posted:

People wanna see the Mario movie but they don’t wanna pay

oh woops, i meant the egg thing lol. i get the mario thing.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

All Frogs posted:

oh woops, i meant the egg thing lol. i get the mario thing.

That is also the reason for the egg thing.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

SkeletonHero posted:

That is also the reason for the egg thing.

fair enough.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I knew it was time to turn off the youtubes last night when I started hearing "today's video is brought to you by Danfoss variable frequency drives for HVAC systems"

Wow, things have drifted from meal prep subscriptions and raid shadow legends.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

I knew it was time to turn off the youtubes last night when I started hearing "today's video is brought to you by Danfoss variable frequency drives for HVAC systems"

Wow, things have drifted from meal prep subscriptions and raid shadow legends.

Lmao I love when I get the contractor ads since it’s a job I did for one year a decade ago. Waste your money, fastenal

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've been inured to sponsorships ever since I saw the Faze Clan Totinos Fortnite Training Room in the Faze Clan Cashapp Compound. If hbomberguy starts his next video with an adread for Uncle Ronnie's Plumbing Shack of Mudburg, Kentucky I won't even notice at this point

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Georg has the best ads, with Big Money Salvia a distant second

If the advertisement algorithms were actually intelligent, they would look at my late night browsing and viewing, and serve me up ads for replacement vaporizer batteries. Instead, it thinks I'm in the market for a gas chromatograph and mass spectrometer.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 12, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It obviously varies depending on when you start watching online creators but does anyone feel like their subscribed creators all seem to lower their output at roughly the same time leading to it feeling like there's a mass collective burnout? Because I went through a bunch of my subscriptions and I was pretty shocked at how many channels I follow haven't uploaded in months.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

It obviously varies depending on when you start watching online creators but does anyone feel like their subscribed creators all seem to lower their output at roughly the same time leading to it feeling like there's a mass collective burnout? Because I went through a bunch of my subscriptions and I was pretty shocked at how many channels I follow haven't uploaded in months.

The common wisdom in Tube-space is that you need constant output to stay relevant. At least one video every week, maybe every two weeks if you're doing 30-plus minute videos. The problem is, it takes a lot longer than that to produce the good, well-considered stuff that most folks in this thread would find appealing. Burnout is inevitable.

I think a lot of folks have followed the same basic cycle of burning themselves to cinders, followed by apologizing profusely to their Patreon subscribers for the reduced output. There's also a non-zero number of folks who just up and vanish, probably because being a content creator is hell, and they had better opportunities to pursue elsewhere.

I just wish MrBtongue would come back.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Captain Invictus posted:

it's stupid and dystopian but I'm sure she makes okay money from it

she should get a real job lol

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fun hater posted:

ice cream reviewer is a real job

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It just seems to me like a lot of them up and stopped at the same time. Rather than a cascade of people burning out its like someone lit a match and threw it into a crowd of people douse in gasoline.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

They should pay more if they want employees

fun hater
May 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

They should pay more if they want employees

who. lol.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

americans are forced to work poverty wages or as tiktokers where they make fortunes i guess

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

It just seems to me like a lot of them up and stopped at the same time. Rather than a cascade of people burning out its like someone lit a match and threw it into a crowd of people douse in gasoline.

Changes in the algorithm can affect swaths of youtubers, removing their motivation in the short to long terms. lots of content categories are affected by seasonal variations, such as movie reviews at the start of the year or lulls in production of x/y/z products. I think those two factors combined can explain things happening in waves.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun hater posted:

americans are forced to work poverty wages or as tiktokers where they make fortunes i guess
lick. gang gang. yes yes yes, yes yes yes. gang gang.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now this is the kind of content I can go for:
https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1679195059097583618?t=56qTk_0j7ZOWIN9L7Dydlg&s=19

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fun hater posted:

"Guy who makes it big doing [fun activity] on the internet" is now a figure people aspire to, for better or worse.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it.
Money for nothin' and your checks for free.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Equeen posted:

New video from everyone’s favorite skull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBy93QX7ysE

This piece of poo poo talking up a big game when she arrived in Auckland, and then getting run right the gently caress out of town will never not be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

Changes in the algorithm can affect swaths of youtubers, removing their motivation in the short to long terms. lots of content categories are affected by seasonal variations, such as movie reviews at the start of the year or lulls in production of x/y/z products. I think those two factors combined can explain things happening in waves.

Chasing the algorithm seems a full time job. Even within the bounds of "I do a video game channel."