Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

re: Thunderbird

I think it still has a 'show passwords' function in the settings somewhere that only asks if you are sure you want to see it. It doesn't take a brain genius to gently caress you over with access to those files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anything been done with Thunderbird or is it mainly security fixes now?

I think it recently got an updated UI.

It still looks like 5+ years old though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It still looks like 5+ years old though.

That is why I use it.

My point was more that any program can easily transfer a login session pretty far if it wants to.
Google doesn't stop mozilla allowing this out of laziness, they will not stop someone else doing the same maliciously.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Marques loves the ZenFone 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aK407STsGA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VictualSquid posted:

Google doesn't stop mozilla allowing this out of laziness,

How do you propose they stop this, what is the laziness here? If Thunderbird is allowing transfer of the signed token between devices, there's not a hell of a lot google can do other than ban the client altogether.

When it comes right down to it, an oauth token is not very different from an app password. Being automatic though, the thought is that the client would at least attempt to store this in a way that the user can't access or transfer out of the app.

If your client isn't secure (app or device) then you are hosed 3 ways from Sunday no matter what. Trusted devices are a tradeoff of convenience vs security, if they aren't actually TRUSTED then it all falls apart. It's not on Google if there's portability of signed auth tokens between devices if you trusted an app that allows that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 7, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can transfer a private SSH key from one install of Termux to another. Should it be banned because of that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can transfer a private SSH key from one install of Termux to another. Should it be banned because of that?

Right, I'm not even saying that Thunderbird's behavior here is explicitly bad and should never be allowed. I use Authy simply so I can have all my 2fa codes on all my devices easily. I keep my google account 2fa code in a separate app and I do backup and restore that to multiple devices as well. It's just that it's not something that Google can really police with respect to an email client.

Personally, I think Thunderbird should have an explicit password protected and encrypted credential backup and restore functionality. Hell, maybe it does, I don't think I've used Thunderbird for like 15 years. If all the stuff is transferred simply from copying the directory from one computer to another, that's a pretty shocking lapse in security on their part.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

bull3964 posted:

How do you propose they stop this, what is the laziness here? If Thunderbird is allowing transfer of the signed token between devices, there's not a hell of a lot google can do other than ban the client altogether.

When it comes right down to it, an oauth token is not very different from an app password. Being automatic though, the thought is that the client would at least attempt to store this in a way that the user can't access or transfer out of the app.

If your client isn't secure (app or device) then you are hosed 3 ways from Sunday no matter what. Trusted devices are a tradeoff of convenience vs security, if they aren't actually TRUSTED then it all falls apart. It's not on Google if there's portability of signed auth tokens between devices if you trusted an app that allows that.

Thunderbird is doing things out of laziness. And google is not stopping them.

Thunderbird has an option for an app password that I would have to enter to unlock the app, and presumably decrypt the passwords/tokens. But that does absolutely nothing if the device is compromised while I am using the app, which is the only remote scenario anyway. And what happened to ltt recently.

What would have helped ltt, but not prevented my laptop laziness would be something like location locking session tokens. Where I would to redo my 2fa if I logged in from a different geographic region/router/IP, might be user-settable.

Or at least send me a warning, I use my outlook account to pass through automated error mailing. They send me an email everytime when I had ipv6 hickups which fooled their systems into mistaking my location, or when I turn on a vpn.

I am believing more and more that 2fa for login is almost security theatre. Should be limited to action verification.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
You'd think companies would do something about this login token shite.

Anyway, anyone using Android 14 Beta on Pixel? Any nice new features or things of note?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anything been done with Thunderbird or is it mainly security fixes now?

They've taken over K-9 Mail to (slowly) turn it into an Android version of Thunderbird.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My Pixel 6 seems to have stopped recognizing data cables. When I plug it into my PC with a USB-C to USB-A data cable the phone starts to charge immediately but after a few seconds Windows gives a popup: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it". My car supports Android Auto but has developed a similar problem: when I plug in the phone it starts to charge but after a few seconds pops up a message complaining about the cable being used. I have tried this with 2 cables that were previously working fine for data transfer, like a couple weeks ago, so I'm thinking it's not a cable problem but either a software issue due to recent updates or a problem with the USB-C port. Any idea what I should do here?

e: I noticed I'd posted some related stuff about this earlier. I did have the data cable working for PC transfer and Android Auto for a while at least.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 9, 2023

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Might be to simple but maybe try cleaning out the usb-c port with some compressed air or a toothpick. Helps with a ton of connection issues.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

If it wasn’t for the software support it would be a perfect phone.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

e: didn't see the apps thread, moving there.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 9, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Zenphone 10 reviews are consistently positive and it looks to me like it checks all the right boxes and has no big flaws. I'd still recommend the P7 due to price and length of software support, but it's a surprisingly close call. I'm glad to see Asus is continuing to refine and improve their devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At least this year they are promising 4 years of security updates.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

At least this year they are promising 4 years of security updates.

Do they actually follow through on them? I've been kind of dismayed to see a fair amount of glowing reviews for the Motorola Razr+ that just take the software support promises at face value, which with Motorola is a really bad idea. Hopefully ASUS is better about that, but I have no clue.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do they actually follow through on them? I've been kind of dismayed to see a fair amount of glowing reviews for the Motorola Razr+ that just take the software support promises at face value, which with Motorola is a really bad idea. Hopefully ASUS is better about that, but I have no clue.

I was curious so I checked what the last few Razr phones have had for updates.

2019 - 9 to 11
2020 (5G) - 10 to 11
2022 - 12, planned upgrade to 13

So yeah I would be skeptical on any more than two major updates lol

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

amenenema posted:

Honestly I like it better - there was no "reminders" app so you just saw the items in Gcal or a web wrapper (if I remember correctly). This way you have the Tasks app and it sits as a sidebar in Gmail.com
Got switched over to Tasks today and it's fine, I just have to remember to always add today's date, even if it's just a note to myself, so I see them on the Calendar widget on the home screen where I'm used to. Funny thing is I installed and opened the Tasks app for the first time and there was a checklist of parts I was buying for a PC build probably 10+ years ago. I might not have even owned an Android phone back then.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/fairphone-3-gets-seven-years-of-updates-besting-every-other-android-oem

TLDR: Fairphone has extended support for the Fairphone 3 (released in 2019) to 2026. Qualcomm has long since dropped support so they're building everything themselves now. Google's 2019 offering Pixel 4 had support dropped for it last October, by comparison.

Pretty impressive stuff. I've had the FP on my radar for a while now and would strongly consider getting a newer offering if they can continue long term support like this.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Blurb3947 posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/fairphone-3-gets-seven-years-of-updates-besting-every-other-android-oem

TLDR: Fairphone has extended support for the Fairphone 3 (released in 2019) to 2026. Qualcomm has long since dropped support so they're building everything themselves now. Google's 2019 offering Pixel 4 had support dropped for it last October, by comparison.

Pretty impressive stuff. I've had the FP on my radar for a while now and would strongly consider getting a newer offering if they can continue long term support like this.

Hopefully the company is still around come 2026.

In all seriousness though, this should be the norm, even if realistically very few people will keep a phone that long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

quote:

While seven years of updates is incredible, the one thing you could ding Fairphone for is that the updates don't arrive at a regular cadence. The company actually skipped Android 12 to deliver Android 13 due to all that "build the BSP yourself" work. Monthly security updates probably don't arrive that regularly either. Still, Fairphone doing this with a fraction of the budget of larger companies shows that the usual excuses Android manufacturers make aren't valid. Any company could offer longer support if it wanted to; they're all just content forcing people to upgrade and creating e-waste.

This is an important point. Longer support is great, but it's limited utility if the cadence isn't frequent. Also, with Fairphone having sole responsibility for the BSP, how does that look from a security research perspective.

You have whitehats and internal security/QA folk trying to find vulnerabilities in current implementations of Qualcomm binaries. How big is the security team behind Fairphone's custom BSP? What's their bounty and disclosure process look like?

Don't get me wrong, this level of support is great and something we should see more of, but it's questionable the level of security coverage Fairphone is going to be able to realistically do.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I couldn't tell from that article what kinds of updates they've pledged for. Security only? Or security and new OS versions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like they have mostly been doing bimonthly security patch releases with some gaps around when they do major versions.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048139032-Fairphone-3-OS-Release-Notes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blurb3947 posted:

I was curious so I checked what the last few Razr phones have had for updates.

2019 - 9 to 11
2020 (5G) - 10 to 11
2022 - 12, planned upgrade to 13

So yeah I would be skeptical on any more than two major updates lol

Motorola is way worse than that - they renege on promised version upgrades, and regularly fall way behind on security updates even with only doing them every 2 months. Go back through a few of these reports from Computerworld to get an idea how incredibly bad their support is since being acquired by Lenovo: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3687640/android-13-upgrade-report-card.html

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'll never forgive Motorola for locking the Milestone bootloader so we had to shim load new kernels back then

loved that phone though..

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Can anyone recommend a good armband holder for a Pixel 6 pro? Need something to jog with.

Edit - I ended up getting a BUMOVE. Fingers crossed.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 11, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nothing Phone (2) was announced today. Pretty big price hike, but all flagship components now (though SD8+ Gen 1 vs Gen 2)

I don't think it's priced bad, but it's a tough sale against the Pixel 7 or OnePlus 11 which are both seeing significant discounts today.

Same camera sensor as the OnePlus 11 and early impressions are that it's well tuned so far.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 11, 2023

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Android Auto 10 beta is out. There's no changelog ;)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

magiccarpet posted:

Android Auto 10 beta is out. There's no changelog ;)

Does it have more games that are not duplicates of each other that I can play in a drive through yet

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I've got an odd problem with my phone, a pixel 4a, and my bluetooth headphones, jaybird somethings, that I've "solved" but the solution is not great and I'd appreciate any additional insights.

The phone is up-to-date with what has been available and I don't have any apps installed that, to my knowledge, would be doing strange things with the bluetooth settings. The only bluetooth related setting that I've changed (long ago) was manually adjusting the AVRCP version to be older so that I could connect to my car (and I tried changing it back to the default and that didn't fix the issue). My default assumption is that I have things that are old and a phone software update broke something.

Anyway, at some point the headphones no longer appear on the list of available bluetooth devices to connect. However, using the developer options and turning on a setting called "Enable pairing of bluetooth devices without names", which then causes the list of potentially connectable bluetooth devices to show as what looks to be MAC addresses (even devices that were properly showing up before, making things more confusing). Using that I can connect to the headphones by fumbling through the list of names and then they connect, show a name, and everything works fine.

The problem is I use another device with the headphones (that device does not have this issue), meaning that I have to have the phone forget the headphones so that they don't automatically pair with the phone . The other problem being that keeping the "connect without names" setting enabled all the time isn't really tenable. This also a difficult problem to search the web for as I mostly get results about regular bluetooth connection problems.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

Nothing Phone (2) was announced today. Pretty big price hike, but all flagship components now (though SD8+ Gen 1 vs Gen 2)

seems like an unforced error tbqh

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep Gen 1 seems like a nonstarter to me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

seems like an unforced error tbqh

Probably supply issues. Oppo and Samsung have likely gobbled up all the SD8 Gen 2 chips.

I don't think it's a huge deal to be honest, the difference between the SD8+ Gen 1 and SD8 Gen 2 is pretty trivial.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

like even if it wasn't a measurably worse soc, the nothing phone 2 should be aiming at enthusiasts to build a market that would act as a base to help it appeal to a mass audience, but what tech nerd is gonna buy a new phone with last year's chip

could it be a fine phone with an older soc? sure, but who is gonna wanna buy it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably enough for whatever sales they are expecting? Plenty bought it when it had a lower tier chip.

Moto did the same thing with the Razr+ as well. SD8+ Gen 1.

I think the only device in North America around that price point that has a SD8 Gen 2 is the OnePlus 11 and that's with Oppo behind them.

Should they have raised the price more and/or limited production to chase the SD8 Gen 2 with zero gain other than on the spec sheet?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Probably enough for whatever sales they are expecting? Plenty bought it when it had a lower tier chip.

Moto did the same thing with the Razr+ as well. SD8+ Gen 1.

I think the only device in North America around that price point that has a SD8 Gen 2 is the OnePlus 11 and that's with Oppo behind them.

Should they have raised the price more and/or limited production to chase the SD8 Gen 2 with zero gain other than on the spec sheet?

that's the point i'm making, is that they would have gain with the newer chip: more excitement and therefore more sales about their emerging product

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last few weeks, every time I use my Pixel Buds Pro, I get this notification. If I go into the settings, Hey Google detection is indeed off, but no matter how many times I switch it on, it's always off whenever I see this notification. Is this something with a known fix?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

that's the point i'm making, is that they would have gain with the newer chip: more excitement and therefore more sales about their emerging product

But you missed my point.

SD8 Gen 2 doesn't necessarily mean more units shipped if Qualcomm can't supply them with enough chips because other manufacturers bought all the capacity or if it required a further price hike, taking it out of some people's budget.

I also don't necessarily agree about who this phone is being built for. It's not the spec chasing tech crowd, it's for a crowd that wants a certain aesthetic.

For $599 it's a pretty nice package with only the OnePlus 11 and Pixel 7 being competitors (at MSRP). You do get a bit more with the OnePlus 11, but I think I would take Nothing OS over OxygenOS right now. The Pixel 7 takes a back seat in performance and battery life to both, but has the better camera experience and Pixel features. Choices are nice and I don't think the SoC is going to be make or break for most people. If they were really worried about moving more units, Verizon support would make the list before updating the SoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Most people buying phones don't know and don't care what's powering them.