Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And then Russo gives Jeff Jarrett's "Chosen One" gimmick to HHH

And then Vince cuts a promo after buying WCW about how he is h-h-hired? Wait is that really what happened, this Magic 8-Ball must be broken

And then Dr. Quarex starts a new page with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is the only good use of “escape to win”. You shouldn’t be able to just run for the hills or barely eke your way out, you should have to beat your opponent into mush and walk out freely.

The whole point is to lock people in a cage to settle things without interference or cowardice, why did it become such a norm to just race to escape as if that somehow blows off the feud? It sucks!
Dragongate does cage escape rules with flag retrieval at the top of the cage, with multi-man eliminations and apuestas stips. They're fun as hell. Some years they have insanely complicated rules which adds to the fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

"What if Dusty could stick to a budget" is something I've pondered more than once as a hinge point.

He would also have to not completely run out of ideas and start booking like poo poo too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also it wouldn't have mattered cause it was Crockett that spending money like mad too and he would of kept spending money to keep people signed and live a high life

Actually a big what if/sliding door question...What if Cable companies tell WWF to pound bricks when they had Survivor Series go against Starrcadde?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

"What if Dusty could stick to a budget" is something I've pondered more than once as a hinge point.

I always laugh to think about Dusty having JCP open up offices in either Dallas/FTW or Houston. Did JCP run either of those markets at that time? No. No, they did not. But Dusty had offices in Texas where he could pretend to be John Wayne or whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I always laugh to think about Dusty having JCP open up offices in either Dallas/FTW or Houston. Did JCP run either of those markets at that time? No. No, they did not. But Dusty had offices in Texas where he could pretend to be John Wayne or whatever.

I think blaming Dusty for those offices is a little silly. It was Jim Crockett's money, he was there in the Dallas office and wanted the company to seem less Southern.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
To a Yankee the idea of moving to Texas making you seem less Southern sounds positively hilarious, but I am sure there is some nuance there I cannot possibly understand.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dallas being in Oil country and being a major city meant companies and people people with money saw it as a big city and a place to do business which they wouldn't think about any of the Carolina cities in the 80's

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Dallas in the 80s was extremely bougie poo poo, the oil and real estate booms brought in a bunch of new-money guys who thought it would be America's next great metropolis. Being in Texas during the peak of Reaganomics certainly didn't hurt.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 12, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
JJ Dillon mentions in his book that in Florida Dusty had a tendency to book these big arena shows where he could main event and be the big name. They would tank the rest of the territory for months but he didn't care because he got to be the big star.

So what Eddie Graham would do whenever he got fed up with Dusty and his ego is he would call up Vince Sr or some of the other big promoters and go "listen, I gotta get rid of Dusty for a bit, can't you call him and tell him a story about how you really need him to come in and help your territory?"

and then a few months later he could bring Dusty back to Florida for a big pop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

I think blaming Dusty for those offices is a little silly. It was Jim Crockett's money, he was there in the Dallas office and wanted the company to seem less Southern.

David Crockett puts wanting Texas offices on Dusty because of his fondness for the place and that it was yet another very unneeded expense that JCP was wracking up at the time after the UWF purchase.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why does it feel like, maybe to me, Steve Austin as a wrestler doesn't seem to elicit the same comparisons for best wrestler if all time or top ten even? I know he was never the same as an in ring worker after his neck was broken but given his talent even after that as a brawler, his charisma and promo ability, and being the face of the company during its peak and not by being ordained but because he was that good and yet it feels like it's almost taken for granted. I'm trying to not prioritise workrate here as again injury meant he couldn't be Flair or Okada or Misawa but that's not the be all.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think part of it is because his peak is pretty brief and was spent wrestling The Undertaker.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Another factor is the constant hotshotting of the belts in that era. Austin never really had that signature long title reign that guys like Bruno, Hogan, Flair or even Roman today have enjoyed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Austin should have kept the belt despite everything Vince threw at him but instead he kept losing it and chasing it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Stone Cold is still one of my personal favourites at least. He was an excellent performer, and if it's good matches people want, I always recommend his stuff with HHH, Benoit and especially Angle from 2001. The Angle matches had the disadvantage of occurring during the Invasion, which might be why they get brushed over.

Edit: heck, I'd even argue that his WMX-7 match versus The Rock is great, overbooked finish and heel turn aside. Just two great performers doing a top-notch "WWF-style" match.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

his body was totally shot by the time he was a true Superstar but he's probably the best smoke and mirrors guy ever

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still think the Bret series is Austin's in-ring peak in WWF. Some people think their Survivor Series match is better than the more famous WM 13 epic.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Benne posted:

I still think the Bret series is Austin's in-ring peak in WWF. Some people think their Survivor Series match is better than the more famous WM 13 epic.

I agree. I'm not even entirely sure which is better but they're both very good.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What wrestling trainer do you guys feel is most responsible for churning out the best talent?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

On the topic of what-ifs, What if Raw hadn't moved to TNN in 2000? ECW doesn't get cancelled, maybe they don't go out of business, and a few months later WCW dies and they get an influx of talent that WWE didn't have room for, and are now the solid #2 organization. Also TNA wouldn't exist.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

ECW wasn't making money on the TNN deal and the two companies hated each other near the end. If TNN doesn't get WWF they probably just ride out the contract or just cancel ECW cause the ratings weren't good

And even if they still have TV they were so in debt due to poor management that they die anyway

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Dan posted:

On the topic of what-ifs, What if Raw hadn't moved to TNN in 2000? ECW doesn't get cancelled, maybe they don't go out of business, and a few months later WCW dies and they get an influx of talent that WWE didn't have room for, and are now the solid #2 organization. Also TNA wouldn't exist.

ECW probably still gets canceled because their ratings were so far below the network expectation and if they don't they probably still go out of business, but maybe Heyman keeps funding it. But they wouldn't have money to sign anyone, they'd need to cut costs to survive. TNA probably still starts in some form but the other WCW replacement attempts maybe don't get started with a distant #2 still in the market.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What wrestling trainer do you guys feel is most responsible for churning out the best talent?

Hart Dungeon (depends on era), Monster Factory (Larry Sharpe), NYWC/Mikey Whipweck all have fantastic pedigrees.

Harts get a ton of successful people from different eras, Sharpe trained a bunch of remarkable big men like Paul Wight, Bam Bam Bigelow, plus Raven, Chris Candido and D-Lo Brown, Mikey Whipweck trained all the SAT, Trent Baretta, Jay Lethal, Tony Nese, Zack Ryder, Willow Nightingale, and Alex Coughlin

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if verne gagne actually did what's claimed then he's probably the western GOAT. it's hard to beat both flair and steamboat as well as mr. perfect

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

ECW probably still gets canceled because their ratings were so far below the network expectation and if they don't they probably still go out of business, but maybe Heyman keeps funding it. But they wouldn't have money to sign anyone, they'd need to cut costs to survive. TNA probably still starts in some form but the other WCW replacement attempts maybe don't get started with a distant #2 still in the market.

I do wonder if ECW doesn't die does WWE keep supporting it in secret so they have someone to kill future competitors and also something that can use as developmental on the secret

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pat Buck has a pretty ridiculous list of names he's trained (MJF, Bowens, Caster, Statlander, Bear Country)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

From an absolute standpoint or a general quality standpoint?

Shawn Michaels has Bryan Danielson

The Monster Factory under Sharpe and Danny Cage have apparently turned out some huge names

Create-a-pro seems to be where the younger AEW dudes like Statlander, MJF, and Max Caster come from

edit: The Power Plant under Jody Hamilton apparently churned out the entire WCW 1990's low and mid card

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 12, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Hiro Matsuda

Trained Hulk Hogan, B. Brian Blair, Bob Orton Jr., Dick Slater, Hercules, Mike Graham, Paul Orndorff, Riki Choshu, Ron Simmons, Scott Casey, Scott Hall, Ted DiBiase and The Great Muta.

That's four hall of famers, three fringe possible hall of famers, and a bunch of solid hands.

Lid fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Johnny Rodz train a lot of notable talent?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

As for as someone who was the actual trainer and churned out elite talent in large volume, the answer pretty much has to be Diablo Velazco. From Jose Fernandez's Velasco bio at LuchaWiki:

In all reality, there's not much more to say about the career of Velazco as a professional wrestler. So what makes this man so special and why is he considered a legend?

In 1942, Velazco started a career as a wrestling trainer in Guadalajara, Jalisco in a local "Box y Lucha" gym, and a few years later, on June 20, 1959, he became the head trainer at the gym located at the newly created Arena Coliseo de Guadalajara. He also became a referee in the same arena.

Little did he know that after he retired, the list of the wrestlers he trained would be the longest and most illustrious of any trainer ever in the story of professional wrestling all over the world. And in all reality, this list most likely will never be topped.

Among those who were trained by Velazco were Atlantis, Alfonso, Apolo and César Dantés, Emilio Charles Sr. and Jr., El Dandy, Irma Aguilar and Irma González, Ringo and Cachorro Mendoza, Satánico, Perro Aguayo, Cavernario Galindo, Angel Blanco Sr. and Jr., Los Hermanos Dinamita (Cien Caras, Máscara Año 2000, Universo 2000), Tarzán López, Javier "Monarca" Cruz, Javier "Américo" Rocca, Gran Markus Jr., Bestia Salvaje, Corazón Salvaje, Mosco de la Merced, Zorro, Solar I & II, Rayo de Jalisco Sr. & Jr., Valentín Mayo, Arkángel de la Muerte, Oro, Plata, El Piloto Suicida, Rito Romero, Hiro Matsuda, Mano Negra, Black Man, Black Terry (Guerrero Maya), El Texano, El Gladiador, El Hijo del Gladiador, Bobby Bonales, Rolando Vera, Gory Guerrero, Alberto Muñoz (White Man), Pepe Vargas, Vic Amezcua, Tony Salazar (Ulises), Enrique Vera, Franco Colombo, Sangre India, Águila India, Gran Cochisse (Espectro de Ultratumba), Espectro Jr., El Supremo I, César Curiel, El Solitario, Mil Máscaras, Abismo Negro and his last major trainées, Shocker and Mr. Águila.

Basically almost anybody that was born in Guadalajara, or started his lucha libre career there, was trained by Velazco. Diablo's school had such a reputation that guys from everywhere would move to Guadalajara just to get trained by the man himself.

One of the longer-tenured Japanese trainers like Kotetsu Yamamoto would probably be up there, too. You can't really count Stu Hart because he often wasn't teaching pro wrestling to the guys who broke in through the Dungeon. Even among his kids, we know for sure that Bret was trained by the duo of Mr. Hito and Kazuo Sakurada, while Bruce (and others who broke in with him, like Rick Martel) were trained by luchador Frank "Carincero" Butcher.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 12, 2023

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Stu just wanted to stretch dudes in his basement.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who doesn't?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

One of the longer-tenured Japanese trainers like Kotetsu Yamamoto would probably be up there, too. You can't really count Stu Hart because he often wasn't teaching pro wrestling to the guys who broke in through the Dungeon. Even among his kids, we know for sure that Bret was trained by the duo of Mr. Hito and Kazuo Sakurada, while Bruce (and others who broke in with him, like Rick Martel) were trained by luchador Frank "Carincero" Butcher.

Going off Jericho and Storm's accounts it appears to be a fine tradition of being trained by the Harts but not actually trained by the Harts.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

davidbix posted:

Among those who were trained by Velazco:

I feel really bad that there is only one man on this list I actually know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZe6LvqQaVk

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think it was Len Denton (The Grappler) that had a story in his book about going to Stampede and Stu kept trying to get him into the basement for some "training", but he knew that Stu just wanted to stretch him so kept making various excuses to avoid it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Johnny Rodz train a lot of notable talent?

He trained a lot of the ECW guys from New York: Taz, the Dudleys, I think Tommy Dreamer as well. Rodz also trained Prince Nana.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

Going off Jericho and Storm's accounts it appears to be a fine tradition of being trained by the Harts but not actually trained by the Harts.
Well, that wasn't the Dungeon. That was Keith's version of the Hart Brothers Wrestling School. Not to be confused with Bruce and Ross's version.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
A lot of current women wrestlers got trained by Emi Sakura.

There's a, probably, non-complete list.
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=4629&page=14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ultimo Dragon has to be up there for modern trainers