Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

NGL, I like the deer-in-the-headlights "what have I done" look more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i say swears online posted:

Wallace also said a big specific challenge they see with Ukraine is its ability to shut down runways being used by Russian planes. The long-range Storm Shadow missile that the UK has provided “is a deep-strike weapon, but it is not designed to destroy runways,” he said, so the UK is trying to find ways to help Ukrainian troops improve that capability.

This is an insane claim as Storm Shadow and SCALP are the conventional warhead versions of a cruise missile designed only to target runways with specialized cluster bomblets.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Comrade Koba posted:

wasn't the peace negotiations in april 2022 a sign that something like this might actually have worked if boris johnson hadn't paradropped in and blown the whole thing up?

I think they would have gotten further. If you read some of Zelenskyy's statements especially recently anything less than giving Ukraine anything less than annexed regions back is unacceptable. If you look at his comments at the NATO summit he's more upset that they aren't getting back these regions, than his country being completely sold out to the west.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think they would have gotten further. If you read some of Zelenskyy's statements especially recently anything less than giving Ukraine anything less than annexed regions back is unacceptable. If you look at his comments at the NATO summit he's more upset that they aren't getting back these regions, than his country being completely sold out to the west.

critically the annexed regions still include crimea in his rhetoric

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Biden is spending billions of dollars to lose the war in Ukraine.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/ch1w33th3d0g/status/1679005796611559424?s=20

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lmao

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

VoicesCanBe posted:

I'm fully aware this might be cope on my part since i also never thought Russia would invade in Feb. 2022 (i thought it was a terrible idea and still do), but given a lot of what we've learned after the fact I've started to believe the US "prediction" of invasion was pure luck.

Don't forget that months later US media quoted US officials as saying that the intel was fake, they made it up lol

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ahahahaha

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the z man's blackrock consultants were 100% right about making him grow a beard, he looks like a baby without one

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Don't forget that months later US media quoted US officials as saying that the intel was fake, they made it up lol

Wait seriously? They admitted it outright? Lmao

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Раньше всех. Ну почти. posted:

After June 24, companies associated with Yevgeny Prigozhin signed at least 9 contracts worth more than a billion rubles, RTVI found out.

The record-breaking customer was the Department of Education of Mytishchi near Moscow: for 705 million rubles, Prodfutservice will feed schoolchildren from 2023 to 2025.

Other customers include Moscow hospitals and schools, as well as the Artek children's camp.

The previous contracts with Prigozhin's companies will not be terminated either. RTVI was informed about this in the Moscow Department of Health and the Russian Foreign Ministry.
(from t.me/bbbreaking/160463, via tgsa)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SplitSoul posted:

Stoltenberg says Ukraine is closer to NATO ascension than ever before.

No they aren't lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

putin just bought Prigozhin out lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hahahahah

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putler is hiding the good news about Ukraine from us

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - When the war is finished Ukraine will definitely be invited to Nato and they will definitely become a member nation of the alliance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08ce64897eb1bd

24 min ago

The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, is holding a press conference at the Nato summit.

The first question he is asked is about the conditions Ukraine must meet in order to join Nato and whether, apart from security related ones, which have been more clearly defined, what the conditions are related to political reforms.

In response, Zelenskiy said: “We understand it’s all about the security [conditions].”

He added: “I believe we will be in Nato when the security situation is stabilised, and that means when the war is finished Ukraine will definitely be invited to Nato and we will definitely become a member nation of the alliance. I haven’t heard any other opinion today.”

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

No they aren't lol

It's technically true, the best kind of truth.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's not often Russia announces its offensive plans, so they probably have a good amount of certainty to capture Lyman.

https://twitter.com/DefensePolitics/status/1679156257050226688

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Brace, u wild for this one

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

No they aren't lol

.0000001 is a larger number than .0000000999

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

fizzy posted:

Good news for Ukraine - When the war is finished Ukraine will definitely be invited to Nato and they will definitely become a member nation of the alliance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08ce64897eb1bd

24 min ago

The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, is holding a press conference at the Nato summit.

The first question he is asked is about the conditions Ukraine must meet in order to join Nato and whether, apart from security related ones, which have been more clearly defined, what the conditions are related to political reforms.

In response, Zelenskiy said: “We understand it’s all about the security [conditions].”

He added: “I believe we will be in Nato when the security situation is stabilised, and that means when the war is finished Ukraine will definitely be invited to Nato and we will definitely become a member nation of the alliance. I haven’t heard any other opinion today.”

:thunk:

Wont be invited until the war is over. the war wont be over till ukraine reclaims crimea

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kinda feeling bad for the dude

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://nyheder-tv2-dk.translate.go...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

quote:

Lars Løkke Rasmussen says that the security commitments must last until Ukraine is a member of NATO.

The Nordic countries, including Denmark, give security commitments to Ukraine.

This is what Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen (S) says at a press conference together with Acting Defense Minister Troels Lund Poulsen (V) and Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen (M).

- Security commitments are being made for Ukraine, which are absolutely crucial for the country's security in the future. We are now reporting that the Nordic countries are also joining this cooperation and are also making security commitments for Ukraine, says Mette Frederiksen.

The announcement comes shortly after US President Joe Biden said at another press conference that the G7 countries will make "long-term, bilateral commitments" by providing security commitments to Ukraine.

- We will be available as long as it is required, says Biden.

The G7 grouping consists of the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United Kingdom, which are among the world's seven largest economies.

Mette Frederiksen is asked at the press conference what the security commitments entail from the Danish side.

- Our commitment is not only about weapon donations to Ukraine here and now. It is about ensuring that the war cannot return, that Russia cannot invade again, she says.

Mette Frederiksen elaborates that Ukraine, for example, must be rebuilt after the war, and here there are no investors who want to invest if some countries have not given a commitment.

- Russia has always hoped that we would run out of resources and energy. But the hope that Russia has is extinguished, says the Danish Prime Minister.

Joe Biden explains at his press conference that the security commitments of the G7 countries mean that they will provide lasting support to Ukraine while it defends its sovereignty and territorial integrity.

But it will also be expanded in the future so that Ukraine can defend itself against future Russian attacks after the war.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was present at the G7 press conference, where he expressed gratitude for the countries' declaration of security commitments.

However, the statement also states that the commitments come at the expense of Ukraine's commitment to reforms "to underline its commitments to democracy, the rule of law, respect for human rights and media freedoms".

At the same time, Ukraine must "put its economy on a sustainable path" and strengthen "democratic, civilian control of the military".

At the Danish press conference, Lars Løkke Rasmussen says that the security commitments must last until Ukraine is a member of NATO.

- And how long it takes depends on how long the war lasts, as Ukraine cannot become a member until the war is over, he says and adds:

- A bridge must be built between now and the time when Ukraine can become a member. The security commitments constitute that bridge.

The Minister for Foreign Affairs believes that the summit's decisions send an important – and necessary – signal to, among other things, the Danish population.

- It is also about us tying ourselves to the mast. Our greatest strength is also our weakness. We are democracies, so we can only provide support for which there is popular support, says Lars Løkke Rasmussen and continues:

- Therefore, it is important that we send a signal to our own population that we must support Ukraine.

The leaders of the NATO countries have gathered on Wednesday in the capital of Lithuania, Vilnius, for the second and last day of the NATO summit.

After an official meeting with the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskyj, NATO's Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, announced that NATO will invite Ukraine into the alliance as soon as certain conditions are met.

At the press conference, Zelenskyj expressed his understanding of the decision - and had thus put aside some of yesterday's anger.

On Tuesday, the president called it both "absurd" and "unprecedented" that NATO would not give Ukraine a time frame for membership.

On Wednesday, Zelenskyy stressed that the "optimal outcome" of the NATO summit had been for Ukraine to receive a direct invitation to join the defense alliance.

And without NATO membership, Ukraine needs security commitments from the G7 countries to be able to resist Russia, the Ukrainian president said earlier on Wednesday.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

fizzy posted:

Good news for Ukraine - UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak confirms that Ukraine will and should be a member of Nato.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08ce64897eb01b

29 min ago

Bloomberg asks if Sunak sees Ukraine joining Nato within a year of a ceasefire.

Sunak says: “What the summit represents is a very significant moment on the journey towards membership and when conditions allow, membership will happen.

“I think that is very clear from today’s summit that people’s view is Ukraine will and should be a member of Nato. That’s what you’ve heard loud and clear coming out of this summit.”

This whole NATO summit is a big engagement party, the whole NATO gang up together to dangle another big bone in front of Ukraine to make them continu to meat grind for the remaining of the season.

Even Erdogan is in on the con, and participates in the bone dangling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's not often Russia announces its offensive plans, so they probably have a good amount of certainty to capture Lyman.

https://twitter.com/DefensePolitics/status/1679156257050226688

The Josh Lyman Offensive

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1678703328971182082

Escalation!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to cross post this here since I know it will rustle some feathers, but

quote:

Question about cluster munitions being supplied by the usa. A panelist from a country who banned cluster muntioms said they believe the usa can do what it wants in regards to cluster munitions because the usa never signed the treaty banning such weapons. In their view as long as the usa is not part of the treaty and the weapons are only used on military targets then the conventions of war have not been violated and no crimes wild be committed.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ardennes posted:

.0000001 is a larger number than .0000000999

if the 9s are repeating it’s the same :twisted:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm going to cross post this here since I know it will rustle some feathers, but

So likewise Russia has committed no war crimes. Its a dumb ruling, but at least its consistent

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is just how international rules cringe order works

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

it's true and the take away should be you can do whatever the gently caress you like in war and the west should stop pretending it has the moral highground and talking about 'war crimes'. It doesn't really care. The logic that got the west to using cluster munitions can be used to justify anything, including biological, chemical and nuclear weapons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

that’s not how it works lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

that’s not how it works lol

it is now