Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah, keeping the nautical theming in translation was probably always going to cause problems—I don't think using port would have saved Koji much of a headache in the end, because even the most modern forms are still niche terms that are not self-explanatory in English.

e: Granted, my biggest problems with mechanics like that can't be solved by using left/right—I have to use the index finger/thumb trick to be sure, and even if that didn't take my hands off the metaphorical steering wheel, it takes long enough to kill me regardless.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Having done O11 quite a few times, I picked up a trick to save brainpower on Arbord Wave Cannon. You only need to calculate the first hit, then after you've dodged it, you just need to know if he's casting the same one as the first. If it's the same one, you're safe where you are, otherwise you need to swap sides.

-

It's really great any time you see A&O while wandering out in the world. A lot of the spots they can appear are kind of out of the way, where you don't have much reason to go to, so it tends to be a fun surprise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Chaos' skeleton is also shared with Sephirot.

Kheldarn posted:

It's because it's a Bonus Item for the ARR 2.0 Collector's Edition. It works exactly the same as the ARR 2.0 Pre-Order Moogle Cap: Increases Earned XP By 20% When Level 10 Or Below.

Yeah, I remember it boosting EXP. I'm just not sure why most of the gear is available in-game and then the last piece is a separate item that has to be gotten that way.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Even bereft of any other context, the kanji for left and right are very similar-looking: 右 and 左. Could the reading comprehension test just be part of the mechanic?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

W.T. Fits posted:

I went into the fight knowing that "Starboard is RIGHT! PORT is left!" from a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. Since the fight still used the term "starboard," I was able to deduce that "larboard" must mean "left," and was presumably an archaic term that fell out of use for one reason or another.

It was literally because it sounds too similar to starboard, so it was hard for sailors to distinguish them in the middle of a storm/battle/whatever.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
The Larboard/Starboard PTSD is real. Just watch any video of a raid doing a boss fight with a Left/Right Arena side AoE, and I can pretty much guarantee you that at some point someone well use Lar/Starboard as a callout only to get shouted down by the rest of the raid.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
The funniest part of startboard and larboard is that they are technically a hint to how the attack works. Starboard and Port don't actually mean right and left, they mean right and left in the direction the ship is facing.

Which tells you the attacks will change when they boss flips around... But the terms are niche enough most people just get confused!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'd like to take a moment to thank Sanguinia for showing off the Omega stuff. It didn't look too bad at first, and I was thinking I might do it, but the last part, from today's update, was more of the same stuff that turns me off for these kinds of things, and so I'll be skipping it. But it was nice to see the story.

Once again, thank you, Sanguinia!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I remember it boosting EXP. I'm just not sure why most of the gear is available in-game and then the last piece is a separate item that has to be gotten that way.

Because it was the only piece available at launch. CT didn't come until later, in a post-game patch. That's when they decided to add the rest of the Amano WOL armor to the game.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Staggy posted:

Which is more impressive: turning a stuffed toy into a nuanced, sympathetic character or doing the same for an ageless robot?

Both pale next to the true feat: making Cid into a nuanced, sympathetic character :v:

e: but for real I think one of the biggest accomplishments of the omega raid series is revisiting the previous CT and Alex raids via Cid and recasting them as part of a character arc he's undergone since 2.0. For a guy who's around pretty much all the time, the player hasn't been given many reasons to be invested in Cid beyond his divorce (a powerful meme, tbf), and it's fitting that in this raid series that is partly a tribute to FF as a whole series that the game's Cid finally comes into his own

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 12, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

That song during the Alpha run gets me every time. I put it on while reading the Sanguinea update, and started tearing up again.

Valentin posted:

Both pale next to the true feat: making Cid into a nuanced, sympathetic character :v:

e: but for real I think one of the biggest accomplishments of the omega raid series is revisiting the previous CT and Alex raids via Cid and recasting them as part of a character arc he's undergone since 2.0. For a guy who's around pretty much all the time, the player hasn't been given many reasons to be invested in Cid beyond his divorce (a powerful meme, tbf), and it's fitting that in this raid series that is partly a tribute to FF as a whole series that the game's Cid finally comes into his own
I think everybody likes Cid, but he is too often used as a MacGuffin, being The Inventor Guy.

Can't get somewhere you need to go to punch someone who needs punching? Turns out Cid was in the area, and he's got a new invention for you

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Until we solve the Goggle Issue, Cid is suspect to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I might be misremembering, but doesn't O11 end with Omega lamenting it didn't use more unavoidable Raid-wide damage?

Kheldarn posted:

Because it was the only piece available at launch. CT didn't come until later, in a post-game patch. That's when they decided to add the rest of the Amano WOL armor to the game.

Ah, well that explains it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder why there's no Ironworks chocobo barding.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The final Omega form is also basically Amano art in the purest form.

This was the original Amano art for FFXIV 1.0

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Mordiceius posted:

The final Omega form is also basically Amano art in the purest form.

Right as I was typing that up, glad I refreshed.

In the quest to discover what made a champion Omega trapped you in battle, threatened your friends, stole your form and copied your theme music.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah from here on out we start getting more Amano infused boss designs and they all slap incredibly hard.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh good! the ending Alpha adventure cutscene makes me cry even in text form!!!

there's good reason i had to buy one of these as soon as i was made aware of its existence!!!!!!!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If FFXIV was a single player game and the WoL always looked like Kheris instead of a customizable character, I am convinced Omega would've ended up looking something like this:

But possibly a bit more Amano-esuqe

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't Omega upside down in that image, so it's wrong?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't Omega upside down in that image, so it's wrong?

lmfao

I never caught that

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:thejoke: I'm pretty sure

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Omega is not upside down in that image.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm dying over here

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The text is presumably from Omega's PoV, meaning the labels are incorrect!

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
On the topic of "trial and errors mechanics" for Midgardsormr or frogmega for example, this is a trend in the modern fights of FFXIV (and especially normal/alliance raids) : they basically expect you to get hit full force the first time, laught it off because worst of all you generally only take a stack of vulnerability, and then not again as you should be able to understand what's going on.
They are usually doing a good job at this, but there are some times where deciphering the tell isn't as obvious, but all in all the dungeons, trials and single duties over the course of 3 or 4 expansions have taught the players how to deal with similar traps (and even more now that they unified some obscure markers in the old expansions).
As you saw for example, the weird beholder in deltascape 2.0 really doesn't success at that job.

Still, the ease of access to normal/alliance raids or optional trials and the limited skill level required to enjoy them works great to elevate the overall "know how things work quickly" of the playerbase. For endwalker I've been able to get into the raids at release day instead of several months later for the first time (I'm not usually subbed for patches) and it's an absolute hilarious clown fiesta with some wipes here and there, and when a mechanic clicks in your head, instead of just following the group, it's super satisfying.

Stormblood is also the start of "maybe you should look around the area" for both things that are going to crash into your face in 3 seconds and very cool scenic backgrounds (like your companions fighting in the doma castle or ala migho). Among the recent waves of WoW players trying XIV, a lot of them suffer from what is called by chat the "WoW brain" where they will angle their camera top and focus on the boss, while stuff is happening outside the area, missing cool lore or deadly traps.
Granted, when you're doing a boss fight for the first time you probably don't have the luxury to observe outside, but it's a good idea to try to check around more from Stormblood onwards.

Regarding the raid itself I loved it, for all the flaws I find in 4.0 the combat has always been a high point, and these fights are almost all a joy to do. Sigmascape 1.0 is probably one of my favourite fights in the game, while it's not really intensive in terms of mechanics, it oozes creativity and you're fighting a train how cool is that, even before factoring the FFVI fanservice.
The ending of the storyline is super touching and you can only have a big smile watching Alpha and Omega go on adventures of their own.

Also, and don't click seeing Omega's travel after what we know in Endwalker really brings a new taste of this tragic endeavour

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

dyslexicfaser posted:

That song during the Alpha run gets me every time. I put it on while reading the Sanguinea update, and started tearing up again.
Same. :'(

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Zanael posted:

On the topic of "trial and errors mechanics" for Midgardsormr or frogmega for example, this is a trend in the modern fights of FFXIV (and especially normal/alliance raids) : they basically expect you to get hit full force the first time, laught it off because worst of all you generally only take a stack of vulnerability, and then not again as you should be able to understand what's going on.
They are usually doing a good job at this, but there are some times where deciphering the tell isn't as obvious, but all in all the dungeons, trials and single duties over the course of 3 or 4 expansions have taught the players how to deal with similar traps (and even more now that they unified some obscure markers in the old expansions).
As you saw for example, the weird beholder in deltascape 2.0 really doesn't success at that job.

Still, the ease of access to normal/alliance raids or optional trials and the limited skill level required to enjoy them works great to elevate the overall "know how things work quickly" of the playerbase. For endwalker I've been able to get into the raids at release day instead of several months later for the first time (I'm not usually subbed for patches) and it's an absolute hilarious clown fiesta with some wipes here and there, and when a mechanic clicks in your head, instead of just following the group, it's super satisfying.
On the subject of easily understandable mechanics, someone on Reddit made a pretty fun image about designing mechanics in the vein of a pizza menu that really managed to put the genius of FF14's telegraphing into focus for me. You can basically take any combination of these and easily imagine what it'd look like in-game and what you'd need to do to resolve it. That's really good game design, if you ask me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can tell that Omega is a baddie we have to kill because it has Amano-Face, which to this game is like corruption in WoW.

The fact that Omega is a representative of somebody and that Midgardsormr thought that of all the places to go the place where it could have to deal with primals and momma light and occasional global hegemony is perhaps not a shining endorsement of everything else out there. While it isn't clear whether or not Omega is a typical member of it's society or perhaps the "Warrior of Light" among them, after this series people began ranking "Omega's People" as some cosmic level threat like the Beyonder or Galactus, given that just one MIA unit became connected to generations of atrocities involving captured primals and the Weapon program. And to think it wasn't even really trying except to find something that would enable it to leave.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wonderful update, Sang. And I agree that Kheris can use a break right now.

May I suggest a visit to the Azim Steppes? :namazu:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SirPhoebos posted:

Wonderful update, Sang. And I agree that Kheris can use a break right now.

May I suggest a visit to the Azim Steppes? :namazu:

Yes yes.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

You can tell that Omega is a baddie we have to kill because it has Amano-Face, which to this game is like corruption in WoW.

The fact that Omega is a representative of somebody and that Midgardsormr thought that of all the places to go the place where it could have to deal with primals and momma light and occasional global hegemony is perhaps not a shining endorsement of everything else out there. While it isn't clear whether or not Omega is a typical member of it's society or perhaps the "Warrior of Light" among them, after this series people began ranking "Omega's People" as some cosmic level threat like the Beyonder or Galactus, given that just one MIA unit became connected to generations of atrocities involving captured primals and the Weapon program. And to think it wasn't even really trying except to find something that would enable it to leave.

It’s also a little concerning that the stars Omega mentioned passing in its journey didn’t seem to be doing particularly well. Granted the ice world might be doing fine under the glaciers, and who even knows what a vortex star is really.

Anyway I forgot to mention that while I don’t know if Omega is entirely the first instance, eScape starts off a fun little trend of food based misheard lyrics. Granted, I hear “A drifting tender, come ride heroes ride” better than I hear “Chicken tenders are ready to fry,” which is more than I can say of the other notable instance I can think of.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

y'know i don't think i ever actually noticed the mention of "Sir" until reading this LP, even though i've played through those cutscenes multiple times. my eyes just glossed over it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ran Rannerson posted:

It’s also a little concerning that the stars Omega mentioned passing in its journey didn’t seem to be doing particularly well. Granted the ice world might be doing fine under the glaciers, and who even knows what a vortex star is really.

Anyway I forgot to mention that while I don’t know if Omega is entirely the first instance, eScape starts off a fun little trend of food based misheard lyrics. Granted, I hear “A drifting tender, come ride heroes ride” better than I hear “Chicken tenders are ready to fry,” which is more than I can say of the other notable instance I can think of.

Vortex star is probably something like Jupiter, stormy gas giant.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ran Rannerson posted:

I always heard "Ancient Acorns."

Also, tangentially related, my friend I was raiding with at the time would always use this as a callout in the fight, no points for guessing where.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gafbGVA_3sM

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If FFXIV was a single player game and the WoL always looked like Kheris instead of a customizable character, I am convinced Omega would've ended up looking something like this:

But possibly a bit more Amano-esuqe

Would Omega-M look like Cid?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also since we’re done with the Omega raids I can share this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnfP9qKAbk8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Like many others, I teared up during that lonely long run. I also kinda teared up (but in a happy way) at the ending of the questline, seeing Alpha run off for adventure and being his utterly adorable self.