Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

also you can login to gw2efficiency, link up your api key, and the legendary crafting page is pretty helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You don't have to log in, you can just stick your API key in there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What do y'all do when you play this game?

Other than clear dailies, I find myself looking for map metas but prefer Silverwastes over other map metas even though the enemies are annoying and nobody rebuilds the walls

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I've spent a bit of time chasing down odd achievements that I don't have, I'm loosely accumulating stuff that I might use to make Warbringer, or maybe one of the SoO leggy things, and the odd meta.

Playing a bit less than usual, but I've just finished a bunch of legendary projects and got the meta cheev for most of the EoD zones, so was expecting to fall off a bit

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm pretty much exclusively pugging group content while I slowly unlock legendaries. Raids if I haven't done them this week, strikes and fractals if I have or want something a bit more chill.

Also waiting for balance to settle a bit post-expansion so I can sort out which characters I want to use for various roles.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My playtime has plummeted over the last few months. But when I do play, I look for a fun meta usually from EoD to play through. That or I hop into some T1 fractals for fun instanced content without any pressure. There's always T1 groups (and T4 obviously) so it's not hard to find 4 friends to pal around with.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mostly just doing whatever daily or weekly meta/treasure chest/group boss/merchant/gatherable make gold number go up fastest, I can do the one-and-done stuff like story and achievements anytime but the daily stuff you can only do, well, once daily, and the rewards add up so you'll have a giant stockpile of junk available for when you do decide to craft those legendaries.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are you going to need to craft the new legendaries? I thought they were going to be achievement based like the amulet, which is the only one I'm the least bit close to finishing because it doesn't require crafting anything.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Got news of another expansion (!!) and realized I haven't logged in for months the other day and have been doing a lot of EoD achievements. I really like them! Kaineng and Echovald become much better maps if you spend some time in them getting to know the area and lore of the place (although the decision not to put the NKC teleporters on the minimap remains baffling). Just a few left to finish and then I can see if I have the stomach for finishing up more fishing achievements and canach coins while trying to get that last piece of wvw armor done before pve armor comes out. Also apparently I'm 4/6 done with legendary runes and kinda cautious to see what's going to be announced on the 18th regarding those given the relic changes (which I really like btw, having some of those cool rune effects tied to certain stats was a bummer). Making weird builds that specialize in things for no real reason is one of my favorite things to do in this game so I'm excited for all the possibilities that and the new weapons will open up.

Zeg posted:

It's been well over a year now since I played and I just learned about a new expansion about to come out. Hopefully some cool changes come with the expansion.

All that said, I am excited to make some new friends and work on my Astralaria! I'm on part 3, The Mechanism. If anyone else has done this and has any tips or advice, it'd be really appreciated. I have some bookmarks and a hella compressed youtube video of a lady talking about her own Astralaria journey. I don't remember it every doing me wrong, so, yeah! Also, my Guardian is out in the middle of nowhere in a mega snowy place picking berries(?). Not sure what that was about, but I clearly had plans after seeing all my alts with some exotics and weapons/specs filled out. Should I leave him there until I've picked all the berries? I guess I was about to do the same with alts too, honestly not sure there.

I low key wish I understood "how" to play this game a little better than I do. Ever since its release, I just wander around doing... nothing until I get an achievement or find content that requires other people which forces me to swap tracks to doing something new.

This is my Revenant. I played a little too much GW1 and Ritualist was my jam. I'm very proud of my cat!

Astralaria rules. Good choice. :buddy:

And honestly you're playing this game right imo. Logging back in after being away for months and years and being like what was I working on here is always interesting.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

binge crotching posted:

Are you going to need to craft the new legendaries? I thought they were going to be achievement based like the amulet, which is the only one I'm the least bit close to finishing because it doesn't require crafting anything.

All 3 existing legendary armour sets require crafting, and more or less the same materials. This new set will almost certainly be the same. You get your first set of precursor gear from an achievement for the raid set, so there might be a similar fast track for the first set for the open world armour too.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Levelling crafting isn't really a big investment honestly, I wouldn't be turned off it. Following the guides on https://gw2crafts.net/ it takes like an hour or two and costs like 60 gold to max any given crafting discipline. It's pretty negligible in a project the size of a legendary, and once you've maxed it you've maxed it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
As a mostly solo player how is EoD?
Does the story get any better? It felt very
... uneven at the end

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Actuarial Fables posted:

Given the history of CA's buffs, I feel that it's not too weird for there to be a rotation or a need to constantly duck into CA (used to be to maintain the GotL unique buff, then to maintain might, now it's both might and alacrity). The length of time you are in CA just for buffs, though, is definitely weird.

One fun thing is that since quickness affects the channeled 4 and 5 and also how fast you can spam 1, keeping alacrity up on fights where you might stay away from the group (flak kiting on sab) and out of range of your quickness person is just that much more difficult.

The one thing I was really hoping for with the overhaul was an alacrity damage druid option, but I don't know if the 33% buff will be enough. You give up damaging CA skills, and condition equipment doesn't have a "diviners" equivalent so you have to find some way to get enough boon duration, and the more time you spend in CA giving people boons, the more your astral force drains and you're not the healer so you actually have to work to get your force filled back up.

e. Here's a random idea I had for the alacrity trait:
Give X seconds of alacrity around you when entering(/exiting?) CA. CA skills give X seconds of alacrity.

For me, an Alac rotation could make sense if other classes had to put in similar effort to achieve their goals.

An Analogy:
If the goal is to get to the top of the building, Druids are forced to walk up the stairs, while other classes (Mechanist, Firebrand, Bladesworn, Deadeye, etc.) can take the elevator/escalator.

For example: post-patch, I played my Alac DPS Mechanist and applied Alac without even thinking about it. I made sure the Mech stood on top of me/the squad, and the character has approx. 62% boon duration with buffs. I'm (slightly) embarrassed to admit that even with auto-casting my Mech command skills, Alacrity uptime was fine in strike missions. No one noticed any gaps in Alacrity downtime. With Druid, there are times you're just boned and can't easily access CA form, and praying that your Alacrity won't fall off.

Isn't that, you know, kind of a massive red flag?

I like your idea for the Alacrity trait - that could be a step in the right direction. Or what if particular weapon skills/combos, like our Staff skill 5 + 3 combo applied Alacrity? Or casting Warhorn skill 5?

Better question, when did Guild Wars 2 become Boon Wars 2? Can't we just click a button and move on with our lives. :) Why do boons have to become the focal point of all these conversations? I'm just as tired of it as the next person, but it's a necessity in the end game.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 12, 2023

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Boons have always been strong, but I suspect the average player is running into groups that want proper comps more often due to EoD pushing people into Strikes and the Dragon's End dps check.

The current boon angst memes are probably the result of a couple different complaints people have with this latest balance patch (bad base durations, Blood Magic nerfs, the 'utility spam' debate) all getting associated with its overall goal of finishing distributing Alacrity and Quickness to every class.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

SlothBear posted:

Got news of another expansion (!!) and realized I haven't logged in for months the other day and have been doing a lot of EoD achievements. I really like them! Kaineng and Echovald become much better maps if you spend some time in them getting to know the area and lore of the place (although the decision not to put the NKC teleporters on the minimap remains baffling). Just a few left to finish and then I can see if I have the stomach for finishing up more fishing achievements and canach coins while trying to get that last piece of wvw armor done before pve armor comes out. Also apparently I'm 4/6 done with legendary runes and kinda cautious to see what's going to be announced on the 18th regarding those given the relic changes (which I really like btw, having some of those cool rune effects tied to certain stats was a bummer). Making weird builds that specialize in things for no real reason is one of my favorite things to do in this game so I'm excited for all the possibilities that and the new weapons will open up.

Astralaria rules. Good choice. :buddy:

And honestly you're playing this game right imo. Logging back in after being away for months and years and being like what was I working on here is always interesting.

For sure, I hope to find others to tag along with for stuff. I saw there were things going on today, so I went to the yellow dots and fought Teq, but I didn't see anyone else there so I ended up leaving after a few minutes and then I went to some other place and gathered up some cauliflower where everyone else was. There is a lot to have to suddenly remember.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Maps are instanced, and have variable player count caps depending on the zones. The yellow dots would be guildmates, but they are shown cross-instance. They were likely in another instance of the map where people had gathered to fight Teq.

You can join any group member's instance by right-clicking on them in the group UI and selecting "Join in <zone name>". If the zone is full you'll get put into a queue.

World boss and meta event groups will generally advertise in LFG, so you can join the group and switch to their instance. Of course if their group is full, or not on the LFG you won't be able to easily join them. In this case you could probably have got the name of your guildmates in the map by hovering over them, then you could try to "/sqjoin <player name>" to join their squad - if they are in one, it is not full, and is not private. Then you could attempt to switch to their instance.

e: map instances are cross-server, but not cross-region. Guilds are cross-region. So for example, you could not join a player on the EU servers if you're on NA or vice-versa.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

why are those luxon weapons from the latest map so expensive? 3g for the regular and 30g for the energized...

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

CODChimera posted:

why are those luxon weapons from the latest map so expensive? 3g for the regular and 30g for the energized...

Because the latest map sucks and nobody wants to go there.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

..btt posted:

Maps are instanced, and have variable player count caps depending on the zones. The yellow dots would be guildmates, but they are shown cross-instance. They were likely in another instance of the map where people had gathered to fight Teq.

You can join any group member's instance by right-clicking on them in the group UI and selecting "Join in <zone name>". If the zone is full you'll get put into a queue.

World boss and meta event groups will generally advertise in LFG, so you can join the group and switch to their instance. Of course if their group is full, or not on the LFG you won't be able to easily join them. In this case you could probably have got the name of your guildmates in the map by hovering over them, then you could try to "/sqjoin <player name>" to join their squad - if they are in one, it is not full, and is not private. Then you could attempt to switch to their instance.

e: map instances are cross-server, but not cross-region. Guilds are cross-region. So for example, you could not join a player on the EU servers if you're on NA or vice-versa.

Yoo, that's amazing, thank you!

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ok I have a weird question, I have a ele-tempest that (haven't tested recently) had a skill or something where if I was knocked down/disabled it would trigger lightning on enemy (not the other way around, if my ele was knocked over, lightning would trigger on whatever was I guess my current target or last target idk). It was cool. I wanted to put that skill on my other ele and for the life of me I cannot find it any more. Did that get hosed up? Removed? Moved? I can't see anything anywhere on my current tempest build that even suggests it does this and I guess the only way I'd test is noodle about on maps where enemies knock me over. But I thought I'd ask before wasting my time if was canned. Or was a weird bug?? I mean it used to trigger often enough that I am pretty sure it was something I set specifically.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Zeg posted:

This is where I've left off on Astralaria. I feel like I've prepped a lot of work already, but I genuinely do not remember.

Go to gw2efficiency.com and put an api key in to link your account. It will give you a list of materials that you need to get to craft your item.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Tambaloneus posted:

Ok I have a weird question, I have a ele-tempest that (haven't tested recently) had a skill or something where if I was knocked down/disabled it would trigger lightning on enemy (not the other way around, if my ele was knocked over, lightning would trigger on whatever was I guess my current target or last target idk). It was cool. I wanted to put that skill on my other ele and for the life of me I cannot find it any more. Did that get hosed up? Removed? Moved? I can't see anything anywhere on my current tempest build that even suggests it does this and I guess the only way I'd test is noodle about on maps where enemies knock me over. But I thought I'd ask before wasting my time if was canned. Or was a weird bug?? I mean it used to trigger often enough that I am pretty sure it was something I set specifically.

Looks like it was replaced in 2018:
https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tempest_Defense

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Boons have always been strong, but I suspect the average player is running into groups that want proper comps more often due to EoD pushing people into Strikes and the Dragon's End dps check.

The current boon angst memes are probably the result of a couple different complaints people have with this latest balance patch (bad base durations, Blood Magic nerfs, the 'utility spam' debate) all getting associated with its overall goal of finishing distributing Alacrity and Quickness to every class.

Agreed, I don’t know what the solution is, but it’s plaguing the end game - in my experience.

Maybe allow the Jade bot’s offensive/defensive protocols into instances to help narrow the boon gap, that would give more accessibility to alac/quickness, and folks wouldn’t be so obsessed with achieving 100% boon uptime.

I say this because ironically, classes need quickness and alac on themselves just to achieve their full boon uptime in a squad.

The protocols would require some tuning, but it’s a start. Everyone might cry “power creep!” - But that’s already happening anyway, especially once all the weapons are unlocked.

I’m all about making the game accessible and inclusive and this whole boon thing needs to be put to bed. Isn’t releasing an expansion a perfect time to reset everything, and to go back to the drawing board?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I have a followup from my ranger question awhile ago - I eventually landed on condi druid in celestial gear and it appears to be invincible, now I don't have to wait around for other people to do champ bounty dailies

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

blatman posted:

I have a followup from my ranger question awhile ago - I eventually landed on condi druid in celestial gear and it appears to be invincible, now I don't have to wait around for other people to do champ bounty dailies

I tried this too and thought it was cool, druids are always my favorite in games. The CA animations are very cool, I wish the skills were more meaningful for dps instead of just triggering a couple bleeds. Also not a short bow fan but I might come back to it when they can use MH dagger and hammer.

More ranger talk, I came back after about 10 months and am so bummed they removed the cooldown reduction on disable for untamed. I know it made balancing the class hard but it made it the most fun and engaging solo spec in a long time. Now it just plays very slow and boring.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Have you tried condi druid since the latest patch? It's currently benching ~42k:

https://snowcrows.com/builds/ranger/druid/condition-druid

..btt posted:

Have you tried condi druid since the latest patch? It's currently benching ~42k:

https://snowcrows.com/builds/ranger/druid/condition-druid

Yeah that’s the build I tried, it feels like CA is mostly part of the rotation to get your buff up and apply a couple bleeds via the immobilize debuffs. My brain might just be broken and like to see strike damage on a skill when I use it. The damage is juicy though.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, understandable

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ort posted:

Yeah that’s the build I tried, it feels like CA is mostly part of the rotation to get your buff up and apply a couple bleeds via the immobilize debuffs. My brain might just be broken and like to see strike damage on a skill when I use it. The damage is juicy though.

Not seeing the strike damage or hit sounds is pretty difficult for me to get used to for damage druid, and a lot of the slow building for the bleeds on the pulsing immobilize skills is just odd. It's cool that CA3 does an immob and enemeies just stop in their tracks, but without a bit of damage or a hit sound it just feels ineffectual. Maybe if the added bleeds-on-immob/cc also showed up in the tool tips so it didn't feel like you accidentally brought your wvw immob druid build to pve.

Condition Soulbeast feels a lot better just because I'm hitting stuff all the time (and that I don't like main-hand axe as a condition weapon).

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Jedah posted:

I’m all about making the game accessible and inclusive and this whole boon thing needs to be put to bed. Isn’t releasing an expansion a perfect time to reset everything, and to go back to the drawing board?

The boon system being a generic thing that every class can contribute to in their own ways is one of the better and more elegant systems in GW2, and far preferable to something like FFXIV's two minute buff window.
As much as people complain about quickness and alacrity being a thing, requiring dedicated boon dps roles improves class variety by a huge amount. Otherwise, there's no room in endgame content for specs that aren't either 'the best possible healer / support' and 'the best possible power / condi dps'.
I don't think giving some boons away for free with something like the offensive / defensive protocol buffs really solves anything either, because then boon dps just runs less concentration, or you run the risk of people not running ANY dedicated boon dps builds and instead running full dps builds with an alac trait or whatever, like old RR condi renegade pairs, or that time people just ran eight banner bladesworn for full quickness uptime in full zerker gear. You could remove those boons (feels bad), or bake them into the skills (huge change with ramifications for every game mode, also homogenizes classes), and neither of those feel great.

That said I also have no idea why people were complaining this last balance patch killed class identity or murdered their favorite arc divider or whatever, so maybe I'm just out of touch :shrug:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main problem with boons, aside from how much power alacrity and quickness give that it's immediately apparent when you don't have 100% uptime, is that it varies wildly between classes on how they deliver these two vital boons, some will generate it passively and barely have to press anything or invest in boon duration gear, others need 100% boon duration and a nonestop 30 key combo that needs to be repeated the entire fight.

Stuff like might, fury, have always felt like they are in a good place since release with most dps builds able to sustain most of it for the team while hitting things.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thank you Ra Ra Rasputin, that was pretty much my sentiment, too.

That's why I used the analogy earlier between granting boons, and people trying to travel to the top of a building.

Some classes have to walk up the stairs, while others take the elevator. Their destination is the same, but the amount of effort they put in is vastly different. It is objectively bad when an Alac DPS Mechanist can auto-cast their Alac-granting skills and keep pace with a Druid's Alacrity output, and the Druid is working ten times as hard.

Not only is the Druid working ten times as hard, it's also removing choice and strategic decision making. Did you need to cast Glyph of the Stars in CA form, and suddenly save the team from a wipe? Whoops, you just blew your CA form on granting Alacrity, so now you've gotta wait for it to recharge before it's available.

But wait, it gets even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAZp5ncuNQ

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Most boons do need a bigger radius increase so everyone isn't forced into the same pixel as everyone else to be optimal.

Keep it nerfed in PvP if you got to for balance.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Oh absolutely! One of the things I liked most about the recent patch was killing all the old methods for boon application where you just slot in all of X skill type on your bar and mash them, like alac specter or quick scrapper, and replacing them with more flexible and unique methods that let you actually make utility skill choices. I still think firebrand and renegade got it right with dedicated buttons and traits for their boons-- you still have to compromise from the dps build, but not too much.
Tying alac to druid CA is a tricky one though, I have to wonder if they'll move it again. Druid is no stranger to blowing CA to generate boons (grace of the land has been a staple in some form forever) but this seems a little too restrictive, even if you ratcheted up the duration and radius.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Not seeing the strike damage or hit sounds is pretty difficult for me to get used to for damage druid, and a lot of the slow building for the bleeds on the pulsing immobilize skills is just odd. It's cool that CA3 does an immob and enemeies just stop in their tracks, but without a bit of damage or a hit sound it just feels ineffectual. Maybe if the added bleeds-on-immob/cc also showed up in the tool tips so it didn't feel like you accidentally brought your wvw immob druid build to pve.

Condition Soulbeast feels a lot better just because I'm hitting stuff all the time (and that I don't like main-hand axe as a condition weapon).

This is something that bothers me a bit about specter, too. The skills do damage but everything is delayed. Nearly everything related to specter is push button, long animation, effect. Scepter 3, shroud skills, even wells to a lesser extent. They all have a delay that feels way longer than any other class so the whole rotation feels off to me and makes the buttons feel “less good” to push.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jedah posted:

Thank you Ra Ra Rasputin, that was pretty much my sentiment, too.

That's why I used the analogy earlier between granting boons, and people trying to travel to the top of a building.

Some classes have to walk up the stairs, while others take the elevator. Their destination is the same, but the amount of effort they put in is vastly different. It is objectively bad when an Alac DPS Mechanist can auto-cast their Alac-granting skills and keep pace with a Druid's Alacrity output, and the Druid is working ten times as hard.

Not only is the Druid working ten times as hard, it's also removing choice and strategic decision making. Did you need to cast Glyph of the Stars in CA form, and suddenly save the team from a wipe? Whoops, you just blew your CA form on granting Alacrity, so now you've gotta wait for it to recharge before it's available.

But wait, it gets even worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAZp5ncuNQ

This is how I have always felt about ele. I have to play the piano to be slightly less or maybe just as effective then other classes that use a very minimal rotation? Or worse,a mechanist just using auto cast on their golem?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also the boon/condition/other effects UI needs serious overhaul

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

whydirt posted:

Also the boon/condition/other effects UI needs serious overhaul

I can't figure out what half the effects on me do because when I mouse over them to read, they keep shifting away when another effect ends. That's awful.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Unrelated to any of this, I'm looking for some pictures/gifs/mp4s/webms to add to the OP, specifically:

PvE - big meta events? random stuff? strikes/raids?
WvW - big fights? frogs?
sPvP - fun? really bad chat?

I need pictures/videos that show what they're all about. Something you look at and go "yeah, that's <game mode>".

For example, I look at this video and think "Yeah, that's what roaming in WvW means to me".
https://i.imgur.com/zlj6iIQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

sword