Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I think the idea has legs, myself

This is the top-upvoted comment burying the expert urban planner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Wizard Master always has to throw a little edge lord political bait on it:

How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something being used to control us like cattle

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Imgur Bot posted:

Hey! It looks like you’ve shared this image from imgur.com! You are in trouble. Go to your room.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

redshirt posted:

Gell-Mann Amnesia sounds like a sweet 70's Prog Rock Band.

Gell-Mann and the Amnesiacs

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

Just in awe of us having a reasonable conversation without updoots or nested comments, fuckin wild hey.

I did nazi that coming.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Wizard Master always has to throw a little edge lord political bait on it:

How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something being used to control us like cattle

I believe urban folks should live in beecomb like tower hives, densely packed, generating their own heat and honey.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Judge Dredd hives should be built over a hair stylist and nail salon for mixed use optimization

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hate to say it but this is actually the ideal city layout:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

super sweet best pal posted:

Listening to it on YouTube and so far it's better than that awful Reelin' in the Years song of theirs that the boomer rock stations always play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwZ_u_UKb0Q

"She prays like a Roman with her eyes on fire" is one of my favorite lines in a song and I still couldn't tell you what the gently caress it's supposed to mean

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Heath posted:

"She prays like a Roman with her eyes on fire" is one of my favorite lines in a song and I still couldn't tell you what the gently caress it's supposed to mean
Cassandra inhaling fumes and giving out weird-rear end prophecies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Cassandra inhaling fumes and giving out weird-rear end prophecies.

She was Greek

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Roman fits the meter better. She's roman now

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Heath posted:

Roman fits the meter better. She's roman now

Fuckin Romans....

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

How are you able to pay this much attention to Reddit without a third party app

Gotta do something on my laptop while our CEO prattles on in a meeting about how we’re “at war with the competition” and “need a warrior mentality”.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Gotta do something on my laptop while our CEO prattles on in a meeting about how we’re “at war with the competition” and “need a warrior mentality”.

I hope your CEO is magically transported through time and space to wake up in the trenches of WWI.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

WE WILL TAKE THAT ISLAND OR WE WILL DIE!!!!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Judge Dredd hives should be built over a hair stylist and nail salon for mixed use optimization

this happened and it was called kowloon walled city

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

PortobelloPirate posted:

How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something that can actually gain some traction?

You get about 2 replies in before someone shouts "NIMBYS!!!!!!" and then the mods lock the thread due to threats.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The urban planning stuff is super interesting. If you're feeling up to it, you all should start an A/T thread on it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

The urban planning stuff is super interesting. If you're feeling up to it, you all should start an A/T thread on it

Relatedly, I think a lot about a space ship mission to Callisto, and many missions later, an orbit and surface presence on/above Callisto. Like, I think about this deeply and would love to discuss it in minutae.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Heath posted:

I thought it was a reference to the Roman Emperor Constantine, who had a vision of a flaming cross which led to his conversion. But I think that's giving too much credit to loving Steely Dan:

quote:

"Walter and I both love inventing slang. For example, in 'Josie', there's a street gang using a weapon called the 'battle apple'. It sounded better than any real weapon we could think of."

gently caress you, Steely Dan!!

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Caves of Altamira is a sick song but their lyrics are nonsense.

If you're into that, cool, but don't pretend they're sage or "sarcastic" (as every rock writer for some reason likes to say)

Rock criticism is so loving bad. I'd rather read a phone book. Boomer rock writers deluded 3 generations of people into thinking boomers invented everything in rock music and that people like Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan woke up one day and invented their entire genres, and weren't imitating their idols and adding their own takes. Jazz and folk music didn't exist before 1961 according to them.

Nobody look up Odetta or Woody Guthrie or Pete Seeger or the weavers or tbone Walker or buddy guy or Johnny guitar Watson and we can all get along.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 12, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lyrics will often disappoint you. Better not to know.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress steely dan and gently caress reddit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FutonForensic posted:

gently caress steely dan

That’s what it was made for after all

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

redshirt posted:

Lyrics will often disappoint you. Better not to know.

I find pretty much all lyrics to be embarrassingly bad schoolboy level poetry.

It’s great to listen to death metal, where it’s easier to consider the voice like any other instrument and ignore the lyrical meaning because you can’t work out what they’re growling much of the time anyway.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FutonForensic posted:

gently caress steely dan and gently caress reddit

This is the Steely Dan thread now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wooger posted:

It’s great to listen to death metal, where it’s easier to consider the voice like any other instrument and ignore the lyrical meaning because you can’t work out what they’re growling much of the time anyway.

I enjoy foreign music for this reason. I have little idea what they are saying, but their voice as an instrument can be awesome.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

wooger posted:

My favorite band is the Chili Peppers so I made peace with the idea that the lyrics are just another instrument that doesn’t have to be comprehensible to be good a long time ago.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Steely Dan is alright but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtovFI8etOg

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

I enjoy foreign music for this reason. I have little idea what they are saying, but their voice as an instrument can be awesome.

https://youtu.be/D3uJHTisUdE

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

The only functional use I’ve had for Reddit is similar to mega threads here - often the FAQ or sidebar of a “good” subreddit is a wealth of knowledge and resources for new hobbyists seeking broad overviews and then drilling down. Anything remotely related to the comments should be destroyed. Could Reddit just be a wiki instead of an echo chamber? The groupthink there was a big turn off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Poohs Packin posted:

I dont, but here is a webinar from MIT about how experts and those in technical fields can more effectively communicate.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/ideas-made-to-matter/curse-knowledge-why-experts-struggle-to-explain-their-work

Its made by nerds though and probably doesn't give any tips for how to not get dogpiled when stating convoluted, technical ideas like "people need houses", or "roads cost money".

In my experience it helps to start every post with "now listen there, bud...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JNCO BILOBA posted:

The only functional use I’ve had for Reddit is similar to mega threads here - often the FAQ or sidebar of a “good” subreddit is a wealth of knowledge and resources for new hobbyists seeking broad overviews and then drilling down. Anything remotely related to the comments should be destroyed. Could Reddit just be a wiki instead of an echo chamber? The groupthink there was a big turn off.

Somebody's never read the drama behind Wikipedia articles. The only thing making the sidebars good is the fact that the mods are the only ones maintaining them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Somebody's never read the drama behind Wikipedia articles. The only thing making the sidebars good is the fact that the mods are the only ones maintaining them.

God yes. Years ago I got sort of involved editing Wikipedia and holy poo poo are the behind the scenes a mess.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

VikingofRock posted:

Maybe I will this weekend.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

redshirt posted:

I feel this exact way and I'm having one of those weird "oh my god it's not just me" moments, so thanks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL. Those Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I would watch a battle bots style fight with wiki editors (nerds)