Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It is a really good record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

big black turnout posted:

What the gently caress is aja

Not much, what's aja with you?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Scrolling reddit as an Urban Planner is indeed very very frustrating.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Heath posted:

I can't find the down vote button!!

Hi! I'm punctuation_bot! Don't worry - you're not in trouble! But try to avoid excessive punctuation, like doubling up exclamation marks.

Make sure to upvote this / give me gold if you found me helpful!!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

Scrolling reddit as an Urban Planner is indeed very very frustrating.

I think everyone who thinks Reddit is good and/or smart and has good info pretty much never go to subreddits for topics they already know a lot about.

It's like, "oh, Reddit gave me good info on lawn mowers, batteries, and lighting!" and then they go into the subreddit for their profession and think "why is everyone so loving dumb here?!"

It's a very human thing, kind of beautiful in a way.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Imagine testing an audio system with anything other then Way Cool by the Freestyle Fellowship?

Like, what are you even testing for?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the frontpage (at least on r/all) has really quieted down since the 3rd party app ban?
How are you able to pay this much attention to Reddit without a third party app

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

aja is also a weird case as guys who install their own private mains transformers to their house to get better quality electricity for their colossal audiophile bass tomb (surprise!) are also not actually into music and love to test their new $30K cabling with aja because they can't think of any other music to put on

This is not an exaggeration. I spent a few months working for one of those AV companies that runs sound and video systems for conventions at hotels. Our boss threw a BBQ one day and invited us over. He has this big system with a really over priced CD player (this was 1995ish) and just kept talking and talking about the album as it was playing and all the specs on his system and all the tweaking he'd done it make it sound whatever.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
4’33 is the only thing worth testing a sound system with.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Hi! I'm punctuation_bot! Don't worry - you're not in trouble! But try to avoid excessive punctuation, like doubling up exclamation marks.

How do I downvote and take gold away?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Code Jockey posted:

Good bot

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The regular /r/guitar subreddit is so funny. Mods are absolutely tyrannical and will band people almost at random for asking regular beginner questions, or for making a post that resembles a joke in any way. I just can't imagine what kind of person would mod like that, like what kind of person they are in real life. Its like the most pathetic iron fist ever, the most eyerolling display of "power" I've ever seen.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

I think everyone who thinks Reddit is good and/or smart and has good info pretty much never go to subreddits for topics they already know a lot about.

It's like, "Oh, Reddit gave me good info on lawn mowers, batteries, and lighting!" and then they go into the subreddit for their profession and think "why is everyone so loving dumb here?!"

Disagree. Its particularly difficult as a planner because it bleeds into local politics, transport, property, architecture, etc.

The average person may not think they know much about mechanical engineering, aviation, or antique rugs, but a whole lot of people think they have the magical solution to fix whatever their particular bugbear is about [insert city], without even a rudimentary understanding of public economics or civil infrastructure.

90% of local city subs are full of rampant NIMBYs and naysayers. They're just there to complain, and it's completely pointless to engage people.

Also, if your cite any sort of credentials Redditors who disagree have a tendency to dive into your post history and get super creepy.

I had a pretty mild opinion on an initiative in my hometown and some guy followed me around the sub citing the fact that I don't live in the country anymore.

Reddit is rear end.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Reddit doesn't know what the gently caress they're talking about, you only get that impression if you don't know anything about the topic.

If you're, say, a composer, you go to a compositions subreddit and you see all the bullshit people say and you know they're full of poo poo, and pointing out they are is pointless. But if you don't know poo poo about composing then it might come off as real knowledge, purely based on naivety.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah I was only disagreeing that it's "kind of beautiful in a way". My particular profession bleeds into so much public life that people are just wrong everywhere and not in niche places.

Its especially apparent in local subs which have been cited as one of the good and active parts of reddit.

If I were a hex nut expert or something I probably wouldn't find the whole site as insufferable, just r/hexnuts or whatever.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I meant the human experience of eventually realising Reddit is full of poo poo is kind of beautiful. Not the rest of it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Thank God lol

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Just in awe of us having a reasonable conversation without updoots or nested comments, fuckin wild hey.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Just in awe of us having a reasonable conversation without updoots or nested comments, fuckin wild hey.

Hello there

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Hello there

Do you like Star Trek?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Do you like Star Trek?

Yes and no! I love DS9 and TNG, feel middling about VOY, TOS is so old but it's the source, Enterprise was....

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Heath posted:

It is a really good record

Listening to it on YouTube and so far it's better than that awful Reelin' in the Years song of theirs that the boomer rock stations always play.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Yes and no! I love DS9 and TNG, feel middling about VOY, TOS is so old but it's the source, Enterprise was....

Yeah same. Any planning initiatives or property developments in your town you want to complain about?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Yeah same. Any planning initiatives or property developments in your town you want to complain about?

Hoo boy don't get me started. They've been working on the main road for 3 years now, it goes on and on, and they've put this speed curbing embankment which has the town chattering.

You?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

It's like, "oh, Reddit gave me good info on lawn mowers, batteries, and lighting!" and then they go into the subreddit for their profession and think "why is everyone so loving dumb here?!"

Sometimes known as Gell-Mann Amnesia

quote:

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

That is the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I'd point out it does not operate in other arenas of life. In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. In court, there is the legal doctrine of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus, which means untruthful in one part, untruthful in all. But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. When, in fact, it almost certainly isn't. The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

people just wanna complain about toll fees, not endure some guy saying they have eight masters degrees and dropping 19 paragraphs about why they're wrong

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

people just wanna complain about toll fees, not endure some guy saying they have eight masters degrees and dropping 19 paragraphs about why they're wrong

"The customer is always right" :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gell-Mann Amnesia sounds like a sweet 70's Prog Rock Band.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

The largest sub that I have yet to find a substitute for is /r/worldbuilding. Yes, there's a lot of mediocre writing on there, but there's also a lot that's inspirational for my own project, and I like seeing what others are working on. The decent alternatives are:

• Discord, most of which is filled with 13-year-olds spamming their super cool OCs and other bullshit, and moves too fast with too little topic permanence for any useful long-form discussion on a topic.
  • StackExchange, which takes "must be hard science fiction even if it's a fantasy setting" to new levels (to the point of thread closure or removal if you haven't already worked out all the underlying science of a subject, regardless if what it is) and is oriented around a format of questions I actively dislike.
  • We technically have a single worldbuilding thread in trad games here, but it's oriented solely towards trad game usage and it sees single digit posts a month tops
  • The various alternatives to Reddit have all had worldbuilding communities pop up... that, last I checked about a week ago, had about 3-digit users and the same activity level as the trad games thread.

None of those have anywhere close to the user base for that 10% from Sturgeon's Law to be visible, and none of them have a similarly broad purview in terms of acceptable subject matter. So basically the only thing I log into Reddit for now is that sub.

Most other subs I can find substitutes for, they just tend to be run by and consist of even shittier people than your average redditor (see for a great example: any car forum if you're not a gearhead yourself and just need some help). And/or they've moved to Discord which is terrible for a long term knowledge base. (Looking at you, Warhammer 30k.)

A bit late but you could try sufficient velocity. I mostly read the CYOAs there but there's a bunch of writing stuff too. It's not just scifi stuff :shrug:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes, and this is the problem.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Hoo boy don't get me started. They've been working on the main road for 3 years now, it goes on and on, and they've put this speed curbing embankment which has the town chattering.

You?

The regional train system is spending billions to tunnel under the river instead of creating greater connectivity on the outer network. Fares remain exorbitantantly high and the whole system still operates at a deficit.

Meanwhile our mayors office just called public housing "Stalinist".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

The regional train system is spending billions to tunnel under the river instead of creating greater connectivity on the outer network. Fares remain exorbitantantly high and the whole system still operates at a deficit.

Meanwhile our mayors office just called public housing "Stalinist".

Excellent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

Yes, and this is the problem.

I can see why you struggle with the reception you get lol

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 12, 2023

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

I can see why you struggle with the reception you get lol

You really edited this like 3 times until you landed on this zinger, hey.

What part didn't you understand? I'll try to break it down for you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah I'm good, thanks

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Poohs Packin posted:

You really edited this like 3 times until you landed on this zinger, hey.

What part didn't you understand? I'll try to break it down for you.

He doesn’t want to hear it but I’d like it in fine detail if you have a few hours.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I dont, but here is a webinar from MIT about how experts and those in technical fields can more effectively communicate.

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/ideas-made-to-matter/curse-knowledge-why-experts-struggle-to-explain-their-work

Its made by nerds though and probably doesn't give any tips for how to not get dogpiled when stating convoluted, technical ideas like "people need houses", or "roads cost money".

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023
How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something that can actually gain some traction?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think the idea has legs, myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

PortobelloPirate posted:

How do you feel about the recent push for more walkable cities? Do you think this is a fad or something that can actually gain some traction?

pitching this to pencilhands and wizard master, hoping to get them in a bidding war against each other