Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It seriously bums me out seeing parents post poo poo like 'my kid is going to camp for the first time and I want to get them a smartphone For Emergencies what should I get them' you give the counselor your number and let the kid be in the woods for a few weeks! God drat!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

This album doesn’t get the respect it deserved

For real. I fuckin love Year Zero

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

It seriously bums me out seeing parents post poo poo like 'my kid is going to camp for the first time and I want to get them a smartphone For Emergencies what should I get them' you give the counselor your number and let the kid be in the woods for a few weeks! God drat!!

Well the idea of an incel going to a summer camp and killing everyone there with a gun wasn't really a consideration back in the day.

They would use a machete :haw:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grendels Dad posted:

They don't. If an emergency happens, school handles communication. That is something that parents and children have great difficulty learning, which makes it all the more important.

Ok fair point. But what if they just really need their phones for something?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're kind of arguing cross purposes, before you keep going in circles you should probably see eye to eye on what rights kids have in school

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

This reminded me of this macro for some reason

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
When I was growing up, the thing was parents arguing computers (desktops) in classrooms were awful and pointless because they grew up without computers in classrooms. Now my generation is arguing smartphones in classrooms are awful and pointless because we didn’t have them while growing up.

We sneakily played Doom and SimCity, they sneakily watch TikTok. I’m sure their kids will have some new technology for parents to lose their minds about.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

HPanda posted:

We sneakily played Doom and SimCity, they sneakily watch TikTok. I’m sure their kids will have some new technology for parents to lose their minds about.

One thing you don't factor in is communication and surveilance. In the past school year, I had to deal with some really tiresome parents who rushed to school because their little children called them sobbing after a fight during the break. Problem being, the kids are utterly unable to assess such situations, they loving suck at communicating and will never learn to deal with conflicts as long as their parents are just the literal push of a button away.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Grendels Dad posted:

One thing you don't factor in is communication and surveilance. In the past school year, I had to deal with some really tiresome parents who rushed to school because their little children called them sobbing after a fight during the break. Problem being, the kids are utterly unable to assess such situations, they loving suck at communicating and will never learn to deal with conflicts as long as their parents are just the literal push of a button away.

they should keep getting beaten up yeah! Make it extremely clear no one will help and their only options are to kill or die! Its healthy!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Constantly checking on your kids ill prepares them for adulthood when absolutely not a single solitary person gives a poo poo whether you live or die

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

Constantly checking on your kids ill prepares them for adulthood when absolutely not a single solitary person gives a poo poo whether you live or die

Feels wrong to say but we should all be

more like oldpainless.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

they should keep getting beaten up yeah! Make it extremely clear no one will help and their only options are to kill or die! Its healthy!

gently caress off with this.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

projecthalaxy posted:

There's probably a middle ground between never letting your kids learn to fend for themselves whatsoever and allowing them to be ground into paste but unfortunately we as a society haven't discovered it yet

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Schools famously have no adults in them so parents must always be called in when there's a problem

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kit Walker posted:

There's probably a middle ground between never letting your kids learn to fend for themselves whatsoever and allowing them to be ground into paste but unfortunately we as a society haven't discovered it yet

There’s still places in the US where a public school Principal can spank your kid as punishment.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

oldpainless posted:

My :tito: upbringing must be coming through, but agreed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

What are they doing with that info

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Grendels Dad posted:

gently caress off with this.

Is exactly what your colleagues told me when I complained about being sexually assaulted in junior high, yes. To be fair, the "also you're not allowed to tell your parents is new."

I should have realized you were the real victim though. So tiresome!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

HPanda posted:

When I was growing up, the thing was parents arguing computers (desktops) in classrooms were awful and pointless because they grew up without computers in classrooms. Now my generation is arguing smartphones in classrooms are awful and pointless because we didn’t have them while growing up.

These two things are not even remotely the same. Computer literacy is a basic requirement in nearly every job that exists and is an incredibly important life skill. Kids know how to use their phones and will know how to use their phones just as well even if they're denied them during school hours.

Also in my school at least there was a constant running battle between the IT nerds and the staff to get Counter Strike/Warcraft installed and working on the PCs while the staff played whack-a-mole, it was definitely a learning experience

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is exactly what your colleagues told me when I complained about being sexually assaulted in junior high, yes. To be fair, the "also you're not allowed to tell your parents is new."

"A fight" doesn't have to mean "beaten up" or "sexually assaulted" and you should very well know that instead of trying to slippery slope their argument based on your own personal poo poo experience

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grassy Knowles posted:

Well, checking your file, we are mostly laughing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
We can make it so that school shootings stop happening or we can accept that wanting to have your cellphone at the place you perceive as most likely to die/be harmed in as a child is reasonable and should be encouraged.

I agree that the way to show someone they can receive support from you is not to remove access to all other forms of it.

And I’m speaking as an old who is confused by kids having smart phones when most had to go to the library to use a computer in her day.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

zedprime posted:

Well drat what are y’all expecting of a woman

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zedprime posted:

It's definitely been reduced for quick sale.

Uh, in the womb I mean? Because obviously they're a woman.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

These two things are not even remotely the same. Computer literacy is a basic requirement in nearly every job that exists and is an incredibly important life skill. Kids know how to use their phones and will know how to use their phones just as well even if they're denied them during school hours.

This is the exact argument every generation. Meanwhile, schools now are integrating tablets (basically just big smartphones) into their instruction and seeing big returns. Just like we saw big returns integrating computers. Computer literacy is massively important now, yes, but a very large chunk of the population did not think so in the early days of personal computers showing up.

We can either fight against integrating what the kids are using in their everyday life or we can strengthen instruction using the tools familiar to them. I was teaching for 15 years before changing careers, and my very first class was teaching English Composition in a computer lab. Knew from day 1 that trying to fight against what students want to use is a losing battle. Better to redirect what they use to productive learning.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh gently caress, you got me good! I'm sorry for the awful poo poo you went through, but you still pursue a boneheaded line of argument, and can gently caress off all over again as trying to paint it as me trying to have an easier job.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Cataloging it in Small John's Almanac.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My child’s school thought they could charge parents a $15 fee to have their cell phones returned if it got taken up during school

If my kid gets their cell phone taken up because they were dicking around with it against the rules they’re going to be grounded from it anyway. What made the school think they could hold someone’s private property and demand a ransom for it is beyond me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my suspicion is that they would like $15, op. that's probably one of the drivers

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

HPanda posted:

We can either fight against integrating what the kids are using in their everyday life or we can strengthen instruction using the tools familiar to them. I was teaching for 15 years before changing careers, and my very first class was teaching English Composition in a computer lab. Knew from day 1 that trying to fight against what students want to use is a losing battle. Better to redirect what they use to productive learning.

Absolutely, to your last point, but there's still a difference between kids using tablets and other tech to support their learning, and kids having a phone in their pockets to gently caress around with/film people in the classroom. I was at school in the last generation before iPhones so we all had phones but as they weren't much good for anything apart from playing snake unless you were a rich kid, classroom distraction wasn't really an issue. I teach mainly adults now in smaller groups so if they're looking at their phone I just ask them if it's something important and let them deal with it if so and otherwise just pause until they get the point. I get that this wouldn't be as easy in normal classroom sizes though.

Ideally there wouldn't need to be a heavy handed approach, because teachers have enough poo poo to deal with without having to fight with kids over making them hand over their personal possessions. Lessons should be engaging enough that kids don't feel the need to gently caress about and kids should be able to not look at their phones for the length of a class. This is all pie in the sky poo poo though, I can see schools that are sick of this poo poo having blanket classroom bans on phones and I can unfortunately also see the largely USA-specific safety issues of wanting to be able to get a hold of your kid at any time.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Isn't there like scientific proof that people remember things written on paper way better than electronically

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Not proof so much as evidence, but that evidence is from people who grew up mostly writing things down. The intentionality in writing something may have something to do with it, but who knows really?

I am personally pro-writing and I think everyone should keep a paper notebook but I can't say it is definitively better for anyone but myself

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

For fucks sakes, the level of bad faith arguments in here is astounding.

HPanda posted:

There is a huge difference between the old IBM you used to play Quake on and a cellphone. Did you keep that tower and CRT in your pocket? Did you use it to ignore everything in every class? The problem with cellphones in classrooms is much more than "I'm old and don't understand these wacky kids and their bleep bloop machines". Your teacher in 1993 may have never had a computer in their life and don't understand the utility or importance of them, but I bet 99.99% of all current teachers have had a cellphone for a long rear end time.

projecthalaxy posted:

That's awful, but that's not been caused by a lack of cellphones, but by bad people. I'm sorry you had a bad set of teachers, and I can understand why you might not like them to this day. But most of us just want to teach, and cellphones are the absolutely the biggest ubiquitous distraction classrooms have dealt with ever.

oldpainless posted:

Ok fair point. But what if they just really need their phones for something?

The biggest response to any of these, "but, but, but what if" counter arguments is that hardly anywhere that's regulated phones has simply regulated their usage in the classroom, not whether students can bring the phone to school. The kids still have their phones either on them or in a little cubby/pouch in the room. Mommy can still text little billy to remind him that he has an appointment after school and will be picked up. In the case of an emergency they're still in the room with the kids. If they need them for those "21st century skills" like googling word-for-word the questions asked on an assignment and then copying the preview of the first result, they almost all have school issued laptops these days.

I don't mean to be salty in the funny pics thread, but I was on my school's committee for implementing basic usage restrictions last year and I had to deal with every one of these little arguments over and over and over again from armchair experts with no classroom experience, insane helicopter parents, and students grasping at any excuse to make sure their dopamine delivery device never leaves their grasp.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Killingyouguy! posted:

Isn't there like scientific proof that people remember things written on paper way better than electronically

Probably. I know I'll quickly forget most of what I read in this thread but I can still clearly remember my dad's suicide note and that was three whole weeks ago.

holttho
May 21, 2007

The argument of "back in my day, we didn't _________ in schools" is as old as time. A hundred or so years ago when cheap pencil+erasers were first starting to get to be common place, people lamented that kids would no longer know how to take care of their slates and chalks. Rewind a few thousand years and the Ancient Greeks disapproved of writing anything down in the process of learning, because if you don't commit it to memory from day one, can you really even say that you know it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

lovin' these funny pictures