Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

mediaphage posted:

like i’m not saying they couldn’t but they’ve never mentioned any feature like this. bluetooth is off when the computer is off which is the issue here, and they’ve never said anything otherwise.

obviously if your mac is online or otherwise powered up and paired with an iphone you’ll be able to find it

It's not "off", like you think it is. For modern iDevices (iPhone, iPad), they have extra hardware and a very low power state that continues to advertise itself. I'm not familiar with the modern macbooks, but if the iphone and ipads have it, and its pretty much the same hardware in the laptop, why wouldn't it have it?

Unpowered, and battery depleted? Yeah, not being tracked. But in its ultra low, nearly off state? Its still beaconing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rawrbomb posted:

It's not "off", like you think it is. For modern iDevices (iPhone, iPad), they have extra hardware and a very low power state that continues to advertise itself. I'm not familiar with the modern macbooks, but if the iphone and ipads have it, and its pretty much the same hardware in the laptop, why wouldn't it have it?

Unpowered, and battery depleted? Yeah, not being tracked. But in its ultra low, nearly off state? Its still beaconing.

ah this appears to have been added in ios 15 so i’ll own that. interesting that you can’t use the icloud.com website if your device is powered off according to apple support.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
yeah, it's confusing so just to clear things up:

Find My (classic): device has to be connected to the internet and have a GPS location. easy, just send the location to your other device.
Find My (network): device is always chirping an ever-changing encrypted Bluetooth low energy packet, even when offline and sometimes when “off” (not all devices do the latter). if some other device sees this packet, it sends the location and packet to Apple, who can work out who to forward the packet to for decryption.
Find Nearby: UWB hardware on both devices can show you the direction and approximate distance to the device.

Find My (classic): available on any recent device that can connect to the internet.
Find My (network): available on pretty much any recent device (uhh…not the Apple TV remote?).
Find Nearby: maybe AirTag exclusive? (but in the upcoming OS updates the TV remote has a fake Find Nearby that only shows a rough distance, not direction, using Bluetooth signal strength and not UWB).

edit: now that i wrote that out, it would be handy if they expanded the fake Find Nearby that just needs Bluetooth to all the other devices too

jawbroken fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 10, 2023

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
None of this should be that surprising, this has all been part and parcel of the design down to the hardware going back at least to the Secure Enclave.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is the fan in a macbook pro necessary? I’m crosshopping between the air and pro. 2tb of storage and 16gb of ram are must-haves. Most intense thing I’ll do is run photoshop and illustrator simultaneously. I hate the touch bar of the 13 inch pro with a passion, but i don’t want to shell out an extra few hundred to get the 14 inch.

Any other qol losses by going with an m2 13 inch air?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is the fan in a macbook pro necessary? I’m crosshopping between the air and pro. 2tb of storage and 16gb of ram are must-haves. Most intense thing I’ll do is run photoshop and illustrator simultaneously. I hate the touch bar of the 13 inch pro with a passion, but i don’t want to shell out an extra few hundred to get the 14 inch.

You honestly would be fine with the air.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd be curious to know the current ratio of intel vs arm Macs in actual use. That's got to be data Apple has right? MacOS phones home every once in a while? Especially if it's iCloud signed in. Without iCloud its phoning home for updates auto updates has been disabled?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd be curious to know the current ratio of intel vs arm Macs in actual use. That's got to be data Apple has right? MacOS phones home every once in a while? Especially if it's iCloud signed in. Without iCloud its phoning home for updates auto updates has been disabled?

there’s probably reasonable numbers out there outside of apple because popular app devs will get that info by downloads alone i have to imagine

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Head Bee Guy posted:

Getting that much storage in an Air might push it close to the price of a MBP.

And, if you are doing some color-critical work, the better screen of the MBP will be useful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Have you tried pricing these out? At two tb of storage you’ll pay the same amount, possibly more for the Air if Apple’s pricing works out the same way it does between a high-spec M2 Pro Mac Mini and a high-spec M2 Max Mac Studio.

The 14” will have a better, high refresh display that the Air doesn’t get, as well as more GPU and CPU cores (more longevity down the road) and much better speakers.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Have you tried pricing these out? At two tb of storage you’ll pay the same amount, possibly more for the Air if Apple’s pricing works out the same way it does between a high-spec M2 Pro Mac Mini and a high-spec M2 Max Mac Studio.

The 14” will have a better, high refresh display that the Air doesn’t get, as well as more GPU and CPU cores (more longevity down the road) and much better speakers.

Edit: huh, at 2tb direct from Apple the Air is about $300 cheaper. If you were buying 512gb or even 1tb you could score a MBP from a licensed dealer with a sale and save a big chunk of money.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 11, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
shoot, didn’t mean to double post

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

2tb of storage and 16gb of ram are must-haves.

You're really going to pay the Apple tax for that much onboard storage. I know I'm going to want to spring for 1TB when I eventually upgrade and hate myself for it - $400 more to go from 1TB to 2TB is just so silly.

Only $2400 more for the 8TB upgrade. :aaaaa:

edit: Yeah, a 13" M2 MBA w/ 16GB of RAM and 2TB of storage is $2099 from Apple. Personally, I'd rather grab a $2199 1TB/16GB 14" M2 MBP for only $100 more and live with less storage and enjoy the much nicer display, more screen real estate, better cpu, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 11, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay yeah I didn’t see what you were filling the Air with. At that point you’re at MBP territory.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

One of my fav Tim Apple photos

"Mr. president the monitor stand is not included, no"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shaocaholica posted:

One of my fav Tim Apple photos

"Mr. president the monitor stand is not included, no"

It's funny too because the Mac Pro is already full equipped in that photo and just missing its exterior shell, though I guess the custom NVME/SSD and RAM could also be missing.

But the motherboard, component cover, and MPX modules free on the worktable are just... there for the photo, lol.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

every pr photos like that. there’s a great pic of me in the paper back home very carefully pipetting distilled water lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I know, it's just funny because they could have easily pulled one of the Vegas out in that photo, etc., and it'd have been more authentic.

The Pro Display XDR is such a nice monitor; it's too bad it costs as much as it does.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had an old 2013 macbook air I used for a browsing daily driver that died last week. I replaced it with a cheap 2017 model that I found on Ebay. As far as I can tell the form factor is identical. My question is that I replaced the battery on the 2013 model recently and was wondering if they are interchangeable. Figured I'd pull the battery out on the old one and use it in the new one down the road once it wears out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah I know, it's just funny because they could have easily pulled one of the Vegas out in that photo, etc., and it'd have been more authentic.

The Pro Display XDR is such a nice monitor; it's too bad it costs as much as it does.

maybe they’re just showing the motherboard, etc and not implying that it’ll go into the Mac Pro next to it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
“Mr President we would like you to assemble this Macintosh Professional”

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hot drat! A $400 upcharge for an extra tb is insane. A 1tb + 16gb ram M2 air is only like $1700, so I'll just scoop that or a refurbished version of it.

I was only really hesitant to grab an Air because they've historically had poor performance, although I suppose my experience was pre-M chip.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
16GB seems bad in 2023 when my 2009 has 8GB.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

“Mr President we would like you to assemble this Macintosh Professional”

I'd not at all be shocked for some reason if Trump turned out to be an introverted computer nerd.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hot drat! A $400 upcharge for an extra tb is insane. A 1tb + 16gb ram M2 air is only like $1700, so I'll just scoop that or a refurbished version of it.

I was only really hesitant to grab an Air because they've historically had poor performance, although I suppose my experience was pre-M chip.

tbh the airs have been fine - compared to the rest of the laptops with similar architectures - for a while imo

they’re just like fuckin incredible now is all

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

16GB seems bad in 2023 when my 2009 has 8GB.

Eh, I run an insane amount of background apps and I still have ~4GB of RAM to play with out of 16GB. I think the average user would get by just fine with 16GB, assuming they're not playing around with VMs or something.

This is after I closed out Firefox, which uses like 3GB of RAM (drat extensions):

(Bartender 4 to the rescue)

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 11, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My 8GB 2015 shows its age with frequency, but I figure that’s as much intel as it is anything

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was just coming here to ask similar stuff: I'm looking at getting the new M2 MBA to replace my aging 2015 MBP. I'm not terribly familiar with performance of the M chips when it comes to ram so I was wondering if I would be comfortable with the base 8gb. Frankly I'd mostly be using it for shitposting, video watching and MAYBE doing some work on Clip Studio Paint with it. Should I be fine more or less with that? I know our shop's 7 year old i7 iMac runs like poo poo with 8gb but with the newer architecture I've heard you don't need as much for light tasks. Yea? Nay?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I was just coming here to ask similar stuff: I'm looking at getting the new M2 MBA to replace my aging 2015 MBP. I'm not terribly familiar with performance of the M chips when it comes to ram so I was wondering if I would be comfortable with the base 8gb. Frankly I'd mostly be using it for shitposting, video watching and MAYBE doing some work on Clip Studio Paint with it. Should I be fine more or less with that? I know our shop's 7 year old i7 iMac runs like poo poo with 8gb but with the newer architecture I've heard you don't need as much for light tasks. Yea? Nay?

It depends on how many years you plan on keeping the Mac. Junk after AppleCare runs out? 8gb is fine. As long as the logic boards allow you? 16gb.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

It depends on how many years you plan on keeping the Mac. Junk after AppleCare runs out? 8gb is fine. As long as the logic boards allow you? 16gb.

Yeah I'm a 5-7 year per laptop guy. My iPad Pro gets more workouts when it comes to graphics app use. I'll still think about it. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly the 8gb model would be fine for your stated uses but it’s always worth trying to get an upgrade if you catch a sale. alternatively if you want to flip it in a couple three years esp if you get applecare you’d likely easily could and pick up the extra memory on the next go around

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I'm a 5-7 year per laptop guy. My iPad Pro gets more workouts when it comes to graphics app use. I'll still think about it. Thanks!

I’d go with 16gb. How much storage were you looking to get?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I upgraded from a 2015 MBP to an M2 Air myself, and would absolutely not go for less than 16GB for longevity’s sake. It’s up to you, and I know the $200 upcharge stings, but it will hold up under load and age much more nicely with the added RAM. It’s all the system will ever have, and there’s a difference between a system you buy for shitposting and general work and a machine that will do more if you feel motivated to explore that in the future. But it’s up to you, and both options are defensible.

If it were up to me I’d place the bottom cutoff for the Air at 16/512, but Apple’s clearly enjoying milking the low end, and jillions of people are happy there. To each their own.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d go with 16gb. How much storage were you looking to get?

I'm definitely getting the 512gb storage, which really fits my laptop needs more than anything else; the 256 or whatever it is is not enough at all. I still have almost 150gb of room left on my old MBP drive, most of the main files I have are at home, in the cloud, etc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I highly recommend getting the 16GB, if only for future-proofing. 8GB might work fine for you now, but are you willing to bet it will be enough for you to open multiple Chrome windows under macOS 17 in 2026?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Rando gaming question. My daughter loves playing Roblox and Minecraft on her tablet (an ancient rear end Kids Fire tablet) and wants a real computer to play on. I've been toying around with getting her an iMac instead of a PC just for ease of use and eventually switching around to the apple ecosystem in our house (I've been a PC guy my whole life and honestly am just too tired to worry about setting up a goddamned "gaming PC" for her and any other PC AIO is poo poo).

Do those games run fine on Mac? Are their any caveats?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm definitely getting the 512gb storage, which really fits my laptop needs more than anything else; the 256 or whatever it is is not enough at all. I still have almost 150gb of room left on my old MBP drive, most of the main files I have are at home, in the cloud, etc.

For the $1600 that a 16/512 Air costs you can get a 14” MacBook Pro with that same load out on sale from anywhere between $1500 and $1800 if you can afford to wait for the right sale.

The better onboard display, more capable GPU, ability to run two external displays instead of one, and better speakers make it a better bet IMO esp if you plan to longhaul it

BonoMan posted:

Rando gaming question. My daughter loves playing Roblox and Minecraft on her tablet (an ancient rear end Kids Fire tablet) and wants a real computer to play on. I've been toying around with getting her an iMac instead of a PC just for ease of use and eventually switching around to the apple ecosystem in our house (I've been a PC guy my whole life and honestly am just too tired to worry about setting up a goddamned "gaming PC" for her and any other PC AIO is poo poo).

Do those games run fine on Mac? Are their any caveats?

both games are rock solid on MacOS

Might be worth waiting a couple months for an M3 update tho.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 12, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok Comboomer posted:

For the $1600 that a 16/512 Air costs you can get a 14” MacBook Pro with that same load out on sale from anywhere between $1500 and $1800 if you can afford to wait for the right sale.

The better onboard display, more capable GPU, ability to run two external displays instead of one, and better speakers make it a better bet IMO esp if you plan to longhaul it

both games are rock solid on MacOS

Might be worth waiting a couple months for an M3 update tho.

Gah her birthday is in August! I can delay it though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Gah her birthday is in August! I can delay it though.

It’s Prime Day

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It’s Capitalism Day. Today is the day that Amazon and their competitors like BH/Adorama/Costco/Best Buy/etc all have a buttload of sales. So if you were in the market for a MBP, now would be a time to look