Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

In re4make the description of hard mode is like "for those that have played RE4 before". well I've played RE4 a lot so I picked it and uhh no capcom this is not the same game, too hard!!!

not that RE4, this RE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I miss when the easy difficulties were named like "I'm a Widdle Baby Pwease Don't Huwwt Me." I thought it was funny.

i kinda hate that stuff

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

In re4make the description of hard mode is like "for those that have played RE4 before". well I've played RE4 a lot so I picked it and uhh no capcom this is not the same game, too hard!!!

Too hard? No such thing

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

i kinda hate that stuff

Ditto. Funny on its face but encourages really lovely attitudes. If I play on one I'll still call it baby mode though lol

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Easy Mode actively mocking you for selecting it is acceptable as long as Hard Mode is equally as mocking, like calling it "Who Are You Trying To Impress Mode" or something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whenever I play a ranked mode in a game I refer to it as climbing up MLG Mountain

Asterite34 posted:

Easy Mode actively mocking you for selecting it is acceptable as long as Hard Mode is equally as mocking, like calling it "Who Are You Trying To Impress Mode" or something

Easy and Hard mode should both lock the player out of the ending. Easy because they didn't earn it, and Hard because they didn't either

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

always have two difficulty settings: Filthy Casual and Sweaty Tryhard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

always have two difficulty settings: Filthy Casual and Sweaty Tryhard

Skill and Lag

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's always good when there's multiple difficulty modes and even better when the devs let you switch 'em on the fly so you aren't locked into something too easy/too hard

Wish there was a little check next to whichever mode the devs thought was the most "balanced" and thought about the most so I could just start there though. It should always just be Normal but sometimes I dunno

Always sort of annoyed when I find out that like entire enemy behavior patterns/attacks are only in Hard mode or something

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you playa game on anything less than hardest difficulty your cheevos should have an an asterisk and you should have to disclose your easy modery when criticizing the game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Always sort of annoyed when I find out that like entire enemy behavior patterns/attacks are only in Hard mode or something

i've always assumed that this is due to them having to intentionally strip away mechanics for a lower difficulty option after playtesting reveals that the average gamer isn't able to meet that level

i do kind of prefer hard being a different experience rather than it just being a simple numbers game, like how pillars of eternity's hard and PotD modes change encounter composition to make them drastically more challenging. there's one notorious fight in early PoE2 where it goes from you fighting a couple panthers and some lil baby wyrms to you having to fight a whole loving zoo on PotD complete with an actual drake, and that forces you to take a completely different approach to the fight

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sonic Frontier having an entire end boss phase only on Hard was weird. It was the only vaguely difficult part of the game though lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vermain posted:

they're understandably vague about it, but what they've said in the comments is that it attempts to calculate per-bone depth data using educated guesses and then display them via UE4 shaders. i'm assuming it uses something like lightness/saturation to try and predict depth, similar to the depth models that stuff like controlnet uses in stable diffusion, though likely with less computational power required thanks to it being pixel art

some programs like spine have been able to fake 3D reasonably well for 2D art for a while via mesh layouts and clever mathematical deformation, so i'm guessing this is the next evolution of that

It’s really neat conceptually but to be totally honest the results are…not great. My reaction to the video was “hey this is interesting but I would never want my game to look like this”.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

It’s really neat conceptually but to be totally honest the results are…not great. My reaction to the video was “hey this is interesting but I would never want my game to look like this”.

it's a nice proof of concept that i hope is iterated on eventually, but it still looks like it takes a lot of individual tinkering to make it look good

3D to pixel 2D is still probably your best bet if you're working under budgetary constraints and don't want to deal with the aggravation of hand-drawn art

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

if you playa game on anything less than hardest difficulty your cheevos should have an an asterisk and you should have to disclose your easy modery when criticizing the game.

I miss negative achievements that were worth nothing meant only to shame you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was that ever a thing? I recall MS being pretty stringent about not having achievements that highlighted failure or produced negative emotions. Maybe other platforms like Steam are free-er about that, or they loosened up over the years

The only ones I can think of are a few games that acknowledge you having died a bunch, and Portal 2 with a couple for stepping into extremely obvious deathtraps that are more funny than mean

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 12, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Was that ever a thing? I recall MS being pretty stringent about not having achievements that highlighted failure or produced negative emotions. Maybe other platforms like Steam are free-er about that, or they loosened up over the years

The only ones I can think of are a few games that acknowledge you having died a bunch, and Portal 2 with a couple for stepping into extremely obvious deathtraps that are more funny than mean

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

Negative point ones no, though you did get classic Cavia trolling in Bulletwitch with the first trophy you get giving you 9 points and then beating the game on the hardest difficulty giving you 1 point, forever cursing you with an uneven gamer score unless you got it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or unless you found another game that tried the same troll and unlocked very carefully

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I beat Yakuza 0

I cried a lot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dewgy posted:

for an indie fighter where the concept is literally "here is the equivalent of MSPaint or Photoshop for making a fighting game character, you can go from nothing to having a fully functional fighter entirely within this game's creator", it's pretty loving impressive even if they don't QUITE look flawless.

these are the trailers they put out a year ago for the starter characters, the mole guy that's in their more recent stuff looks a lot better. seems that during test demos at conventions, people were able to construct a fully playable character from scratch while at the booth, which is shockingly intuitive if true for someone to be able to walk up with zero info and whip something usable up in a pretty short amount of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdvZdTXtvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfWvTyac3SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUl1sDEcE74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFy-_6w6fA4

I don't think it's perfect, but it's very impressive from what looks like a dev team of like two or three people maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

verbal enema posted:

I beat Yakuza 0

I cried a lot

I didn't like Kiwami 1 quite as much overall, although it's still great

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I dont have any other Yakuza so is the next story step Kiwami?

Also aren't we getting the Fuedal Japan Yakuza sometime too?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Just finished Prey 2017. Started it on a whim on Thursday after watching my dad start playing it and it's the only thing I've played in the last 6 days.

Glad I finally gave it a go though, it's a fantastic game. The only other immersive sims I've tried before are Deus Ex HR and System Shock 2. Maybe I'll finally go back and finish them.

verbal enema posted:

There was the Like a Dragon Ishin remake that came out in February that you're probably thinking of.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nah I'm deffo thinking of the literal fuedal japan Yakuza

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh lol that's what it was my bad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Whenever you get around to the rest of the series:
- Play Kiwami on easy, as you'll avoid some damage sponge bosses. Mainline the story.
- Play Kiwami 2 asap.
- Has a similar :qq: ending to 0

Judgement and Lost Judgement are also REAL good, and doesn't deal with any Yak series characaters

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

verbal enema posted:

I beat Yakuza 0

I cried a lot

At the very end (after the end credits?) when the lady finds the repaired watch Majima left for her is such a beautiful moment, goddamn.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jerusalem posted:

At the very end (after the end credits?) when the lady finds the repaired watch Majima left for her is such a beautiful moment, goddamn.

Yeah that loving hurt

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

verbal enema posted:

Nah I'm deffo thinking of the literal fuedal japan Yakuza

There's is one but for the moment it's never been released outside Japan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so either something just changed without my input on my steam account or they just altered something with user reviews, because the Skullgirls review bombing thing from a couple weeks back changed pretty dramatically:

Captain Invictus posted:

Apparently Steam just made a pretty significant change to how community reviews are calculated, possibly due to the insane review-bombing of Skullgirls that happened a few weeks ago, leading to it going from overwhelmingly positive to overwhelmingly negative, with a 17% recent review positivity rating. the review bombing began because the devs edited some sprites to be less fanservicey, removed a piece of ingame art that was literally a dude molesting someone, removed armbands from the aesthetically-nazi faction, removed some art from the digital artbook, removed some clips from Big Band's storyline, and removed the Soviet Announcer voice.

The Big Band and Soviet Announcer thing I think were bad moves, with Big Band's thing it was apparently contextually about police brutality, and the soviet announcer was probably removed due to everything to do with Russia these days, but I don't think that means old Russian pastiches should be eliminated entirely.

the rest was a good move. but The Worst People In The World(gamers) got insanely mad and started dropping a crazy number of review bombs from almost entirely people who don't actually play the game, dropping it from about 96% positive to 17% positive.

Now, the rating is back to normal, with an asterisk denoting unusual review activity, shown here:

I haven't changed any settings so I'm guessing this is something new. but it's a good thing, because gently caress the incels getting super worked up over them adding skirt length to a character to cut down on the fanservice.

there were like 25,000 negative reviews almost entirely from people who had never played the game ever since the recent patch, and now they're not showing up.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Valve silently clean up review bombs once everyone has moved on to the next dumb drama.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1808664240333155775

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I just learned that existed today, literally never seen it before. not sure of a game I'm aware of that got review bombed like that on steam. well, good on them at least, it was absurd that shitheads managed to absolutely dumpster years of near-universal praise in a week's time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm glad Valve cleaned up that dumb drama. Steam users will die on the most stupid of hills, in this case it was supporting being able to see panties worn by child characters, and keeping the nazi/fascist images in the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Draga posted:

Glad I finally gave it a go though, it's a fantastic game. The only other immersive sims I've tried before are Deus Ex HR and System Shock 2. Maybe I'll finally go back and finish them.

play the original Deus Ex

forgive the terrible voice acting and enjoy what is still one of the best imsimms on the market

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Asterite34 posted:

This was very much the case for Devil May Cry games:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

big demon balls

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anything ever been review bombed for a good reason, I get the impression that whole angry mob throwing petulant spiteful fit is more of a conservative gamer gator type thing, but I'm also not tracking review bombs, just hear about the dumbest ones. There are definitely shithead criminal pest devs out there people rightfully hate, but I feel like the reaction to that is to avoid their games and inform others about who they would support by buying the game whenever it comes up in discussions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

play the original Deus Ex

forgive the terrible voice acting and enjoy what is still one of the best imsimms on the market

Also play the Dishonored games, which while not "pure" immersive sims are the previous games from the studio that made Prey and have very much the same sort of flavor with a more structured, mission-based flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad Valve cleaned up that dumb drama. Steam users will die on the most stupid of hills, in this case it was supporting being able to see panties worn by child characters, and keeping the nazi/fascist images in the game.
They live on those hills, might as well die on them