Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

prom candy posted:

For PRs how do you handle a scenario where you have a bunch of tickets that are pretty closely related? Like for example today I have to add a screen which is a list of things and then there are a few extra tickets for simple things that you can do with each list item. My preference would be to batch these all into a single PR because otherwise I'm going to wind up waiting around for approval between each one, because one step is dependent on another. Would you just stack like 3-4 tickets into a single PR if the changes are simple enough? The reason they're 3-4 tickets is because when we get into it QA and Design Review it's annoying to have one larger ticket getting kicked back and forth and keeping track of the requested changes.

If you go back to the point of PRs being a risk reduction (of bugs, misunderstandings, miscommunication, and siloed knowledge) then it’s really about what is easiest to review/understand.

If you can do it in one hit go for it? Or if you’re making peoples jobs easier with a few that match your tickets do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, it depends on the team and how they prefer to work. You should be able to just hold off on moving a ticket to Done until all the relevant PRs are in.

Unless you have some weird poo poo tying PRs to tickets and bugs in which case godspeed.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Pollyanna posted:

But me filing tickets, bugs, and blockers is the only way my manager sees that I’m doing any work at all!!! (despite me constantly updating the team at standup with my current status :mad:)

If I don’t make tickets clearly I don’t exist.

I don't exist except for my personal velocity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now you’re thinking like a manager!

Okay sorry that was kinda lovely. I’m bitter.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Now you're thinking like an IPA!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm not in my 20's anymore, I can't day drink like I used to, don't give me more reasons to :colbert:

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Pollyanna posted:

Now you’re thinking like a manager!

Okay sorry that was kinda lovely. I’m bitter.

I was and/or still am a director. Kinda a crap career path, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lyesh posted:

loving seriously.

also the attitude that a bunch of current best practices aren't going to end up being considered "dumb poo poo that we did five years ago because we didn't know better"

or on a longer-term scale how stuff like OOP was considered the wave of the future for years and years. yet now there are places where inheritance is a swear-word.

Those places sound terrible. OOP is a tool in the toolbox, and I'm sorry that they apparently had to write Enterprise Java.

CPColin posted:

Now you're thinking like an IPA!

Now you're thinking like a micro brewery!

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

oop isn't inheritance though. you were always supposed to be not using inheritance simply as a way to share similar looking code. it's been like 2 decades since that was widely decried as a horrible idea.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

12 rats tied together posted:

oop isn't inheritance though. you were always supposed to be not using inheritance simply as a way to share similar looking code. it's been like 2 decades since that was widely decried as a horrible idea.

Yeah, I think there's good reason as much as people are getting popular decrying OOP, not a lot is being written in modern functional languages. Inheritance is a footgun, and there's plenty of bad patterns in OOP, but the idea of 'Thing has Attributes and can do things' really makes a lot of sense.

It's one of the things I like about Python: if I want to write some totally atomic functions that take in a small number of arguments and spits out stateless results? Hell yeah brother, that's great, here's a module to put them in. No weird class wrappers needed, just throw 'em in a file. If I need to hold data in a structured way, I've got dataclasses, nice and simple; and if I want to put some stuff together for reuse by a bunch of functions? Well good news, that's easy to do too.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

it's one of the core concepts that are part of OOP, and it was all over the place in the 90s and early 2000s. You couldn't kick a rock without hitting a language designed in that timeframe that encourages its use. loving Perl has it. PERL! C++ even went in on multiple inheritence and just said "gently caress your diamond problem i'm gonna do it anyway."

now we have languages like Rust that don't even have it, and a lot of stuff like react heavily favors composition (reasonably!)

Anyway, my point is that it's not uncommon in this industry for stuff to go from ubiquitous to widely villified, so it's good to be chill about calling other people out for being dumb when they disagree over best practices. Not that that's an excuse for cowboy poo poo where someone just ignores what the rest of the team agrees on or anything like that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Names can name no lasting name.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I guess nobody told Ruby on Rails developers because we were all mostly using it heavily in the 2010s. Not to mention the absolutely awful poo poo that Rails still encourages like "concerns." I don't think "inheritance sucks" as a concept started to make it to Ruby developers until almost 2020.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

"decried" is a strong word. the classes would teach it as "favor composition over inheritance", and they'd teach you the liskov substitution principle.

but i totally agree with you

in real life i've seen poo poo like:

quote:

patientgrid extends comparisongridbase extends patientgridbase extends gridbaseextended extends gridbase

and it honestly makes you long for goto.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would simply write good code instead of bad.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

:hmmyes:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bongo Bill posted:

This only works if there was such a thing. The truth is all code is bad.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wait, has goto been deprecated?

Am I not supposed to be using goto?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ryanrs posted:

Wait, has goto been deprecated?

Am I not supposed to be using goto?

Who amongst us has not broken Computer Law a time or two?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Drake no: Goto
Drake yes: longjmp

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
10 PRINT "PENUS" : GOTO 10

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ehh, this "Dijkstra" guy seems like a bit of a crank. I bet this whole "structured programming" fad won't last more than a year or so, it'll be all forgotten by 1970.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never saw a goto in C until I started looking at Linux kernel code.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I've ever professionally used a language which has a goto statement at all.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
goto is perfectly fine for error handling in C.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jabor posted:

Ehh, this "Dijkstra" guy seems like a bit of a crank. I bet this whole "structured programming" fad won't last more than a year or so, it'll be all forgotten by 1970.

Boy, this new Witcher season is really meta.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

chglcu posted:

goto is perfectly fine for error handling in C.

This is true. The unsaid part is that C is not a good language to use in 2023 :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CPColin posted:

10 PRINT "PENUS" : GOTO 10

I've been coding since I was 9 and this is my only experience with GOTO. It's the right tool for the right job.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So despite shopping around for a new team, I’m actually working on the feedback I got from my manager. It has a kernel of truth: I’m not great at project management. Specifically, I have a habit of not clearly communicating blockers and speedbumps in feature delivery. I also suck at analyzing them and recommending changes to the team for avoiding similar problems in the future. :(

I’m working on two things: a miniature post-mortem of my most recently delivered feature (which took longer than expected) and a running progress report, or “pre-mortem”, of my current feature (which has already run into blockers and slowdown). I know that I want to capture the following:

- Blockers I run into
- Speedbumps and other things that slowed me down
- Takeaways and recommended improvements from the previous two items and from my experience delivering it

But I don’t really how to do this. It’d help a lot if there was a template or example I could follow for both the post- and pre-mortem. Anyone here keep a document like this for whatever project they’re working on, and are willing to share their example as well as their daily process?

General advice on keeping me and my work clear, visible, and accountable is also greatly appreciated.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think the majority of our devs are doing post-mortems on issues that didn't make it in the last sprint. Like I've got multiple to complete :rip:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xarn posted:

This is true. The unsaid part is that C is not a good language to use in 2023 :v:

Those are some serious fighting words in appdev

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For small post-mortems, I’d look to Scrum and the three questions. What went right, what went wrong, and what are we going change. It’s a quick exercise, and keeping track the answers in a giant Google doc will reveal patterns.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was just asked to refer 1-2 potential clients for sales purposes.

Really fighting the urge to ask what my commission would be (I know what the answer is, but sometimes rocking the boat is fun :black101:)

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 12, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you said embedded then sure, why would you write a new generic application in C???

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only C I’ve ever written has gone onto Arduinos and microcontrollers for DIY eurorack modules, and I forget if that poo poo isn’t actually CPP.

lifg posted:

For small post-mortems, I’d look to Scrum and the three questions. What went right, what went wrong, and what are we going change. It’s a quick exercise, and keeping track the answers in a giant Google doc will reveal patterns.

Yeah, that was my starting point for today’s document. I’m just sticking to the last two and breaking it into “poo poo we need to on someone else for” and “poo poo that took me forever and/or was a pain in the rear end”. I hope they’ll be happy with it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
C is the only language I actually enjoy using these days. It’s nice and performant without being an over-complicated mess like C++.

I write games though. Don’t think I’d want to do app development in it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

chglcu posted:

C is the only language I actually enjoy using these days. It’s nice and performant without being an over-complicated mess like C++.

Video games can involve some very complex, high level logic and architecture. How do you handle that with C, and how does that differ from app development’s requirements?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm also curious, do you do your own engine kind of stuff? I was reading about how the dev for HROT wrote his own engine for that in Pascal and it gives me some serious impostor syndrome because most of what I do is UI mockup garbage (i.e. not even functional half the time)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

chglcu posted:

Games were what I hand in mind, I just said appdev to cover my bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
There are times when I really wish my app dev life was just WPF on top of C...somehow.

I love C#. My default starting point for any new project is, 'why SHOULDN'T this be C#?' and I pretty much always come back with C# as the answer, but C# can get really, really complicated. Not C++ complicated thank god (or at least not in the same ways), but the tangled web you are allowed to weave with it's bottomless feature set is quite a thing, and C# 12 is just gonna make that poo poo worse. Every new version comes with really cool features that I love to think about and toy with, but the second you apply them at scale on a code base being touched by dozens, it makes it really hard to figure out what the hell is going on. The balance here that I think is not being struck on the project development side is, 'powerful new features that enable a highly extensible code base' vs 'the practicality of training people on this code base'. When you ultra seniors are allowed to architect, this massive pool of features lets you over-engineer like crazy, and then training up new people becomes very challenging.

Basically, what I'm saying is that we should just go back to goto everywhere, obv.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 12, 2023