Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

OK you're already hitting the classics with the AIP stuff, but don't forget to branch into the rest of Vincent Price's output. You need Dr. Phibes, you need Theatre of Blood, and you need The Monster Club, stat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I loved Predestination but don't like any of the Spierig Brothers other films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK you're already hitting the classics with the AIP stuff, but don't forget to branch into the rest of Vincent Price's output. You need Dr. Phibes, you need Theatre of Blood, and you need The Monster Club, stat!

Hammer has a similar feel to it as well where it's never really scary but it's just a comfortable vibe with some all-time great scenery chewing actors. One of my favorite Hammer films that I don't see mentioned very often is Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hammer films are a great horror comfort films.

Though I only have the four best Christopher Lee Dracula films, and also his Mummy film.

Another good bunch of horror comfort films for me is this big box set I have of all the old 1930s and 40s Universal horror flicks.

I guess because it reminds me of when I was a kid, and I used to love to watch them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not really horror (maybe psychological horror?) but if I'm in the mood for something tense, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane generally works for me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I adore Phibes but I've never seen the sequel, is it worth a watch? Theatre of Blood is another I've been wanting to see but never have so that goes to the top of the list!

Basebf555 posted:

Hammer has a similar feel to it as well where it's never really scary but it's just a comfortable vibe with some all-time great scenery chewing actors. One of my favorite Hammer films that I don't see mentioned very often is Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg.
Absolutely, I love the skeleton bros on their skeleton horses

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 12, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My comfort horror movies are usually ones with a particular atmosphere and element of tenderness to them, or are just plain fun. Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator immediately come to mind because I could watch Herbert do Weird Little Guy poo poo for hours and his tender homoeroticism with Dan is something I'm all about, Nightbreed (Director's Cut) builds a beautiful world that I can get lost in and because it's so dense I can watch it over and over, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is both hilarious and sweet, Mandy and Beyond The Black Rainbow are both engaging and gorgeous and I just love to lose myself in their slow rhythms...

I also love some fun slashers. Jason X is a go-to goofball flick, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is that perfect blend of weird, imaginative, and inspired with some great social commentary. There's also Perfect Blue which is certainly terrifying and upsetting but the art and direction are so thrilling and sumptuous and I love everything Satoshi Kon has ever made.

I could go on but I'll close by saying I have watched Wild Zero five times since I first saw it in 2022 and I'm sure I'm going to watch it many, many times more. Everything about it hits me in the pleasure center just right. Loud music, great humor, zombies, low-budget-all-heart filmmaking, and the greatest love story ever told.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I adore Phibes but I've never seen the sequel, is it worth a watch? Theatre of Blood is another I've been wanting to see but never have so that goes to the top of the list!

The Phibes sequel is definitely worth a watch. The story and the kills aren't as good overall, but they give Phibes a voicebox that allows Price to properly deliver his big monologues, which for me was a big improvement.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

I am always down for watching Hellraiser, mainly the first 4 plus the new remake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Army of Darkness-

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hammer films are easily my comfort horror. If I want a relaxing day I just chill out and watch Hammer horror from the 60s and 70s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hammer did some fun non-horror stuff too. Like there's a Hammer Robin Hood movie where Peter Cushing plays the Sheriff of Nottingham, can't really go wrong with that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Hammer pirate movies are pretty good too!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles goes HARD

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cosigning the Hammer pirate movies and Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles. I still gotta see that Robin Hood.

I also always forget that One Million Years B.C. is a Hammer movie, fun flick.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Sure you've mentioned Hammer, but nobody's mentioned Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter yet? That, next to Phibes, is top-tier horror comfort movie for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Idq-SDBOA

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I need comfort I know who I'm going to call

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

House by the Cemetery, Scarecrows, The Gate

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Also, on the subject of comfort horror one of my GOAT has to be Zombi 2. I used to drift off to bed to the film countless nights due to the relaxing music and atmosphere of the first half (some cops getting eaten by a boat zombie but they knew what they signed up for)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zombi 2 is great comfort horror, it's basically a vacation movie

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Housebound is very much my comfort horror. I've yet to have a mood or day so bad that that one doesn't pull me out of a nosedive just a little bit.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Return of the Living Dead is easily the film I’ve put on the most just “because” and I could watch it 500 more times. So that’s prolly my comfort film. Frankenhooker is a close second.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

My first choice for comfort is probably Child's Play 3, specifically when paired with take-out Chinese food. It's like the perfect melding of mediocrity, and for some reason I find that comforting.

Second choice is Killer Klowns from Outer Space, pretty much whenever.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like the final destination movies for comfort horror. They're dumb but well made and they go down smooth

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It may be a controversial take but I feel like The Exorcist and The Exorcist 3 are comfort films but only during the winter months. Horror movies should be enjoyed seasonally.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Thing as horror comfort food for me. it's just straight up fun

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tremors is mine. poo poo was on TV like 6 times a day in the 90s. Lots of memories of eating pizza and watching Tremors as a kid.

Child's Play 3 is oddly also one of mine for the same reason. SyFy loved Chucky.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My comfort horror movies are usually ones with a particular atmosphere and element of tenderness to them, or are just plain fun. Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator immediately come to mind because I could watch Herbert do Weird Little Guy poo poo for hours and his tender homoeroticism with Dan is something I'm all about, Nightbreed (Director's Cut) builds a beautiful world that I can get lost in and because it's so dense I can watch it over and over, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is both hilarious and sweet, Mandy and Beyond The Black Rainbow are both engaging and gorgeous and I just love to lose myself in their slow rhythms...

I also love some fun slashers. Jason X is a go-to goofball flick, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is that perfect blend of weird, imaginative, and inspired with some great social commentary. There's also Perfect Blue which is certainly terrifying and upsetting but the art and direction are so thrilling and sumptuous and I love everything Satoshi Kon has ever made.

I could go on but I'll close by saying I have watched Wild Zero five times since I first saw it in 2022 and I'm sure I'm going to watch it many, many times more. Everything about it hits me in the pleasure center just right. Loud music, great humor, zombies, low-budget-all-heart filmmaking, and the greatest love story ever told.

That loving band Guitar Wolf are responsible for one of the most insane gigs I’ve ever been to, way back in the mid 2000’s when I was back packing in Australia I saw them at a hotel in Melbourne, the lead guy let some fat dude take his guitar, the fat dude just strummed one power chord whilst guitar wolf did their thing then the lead guy took his guitar back and proceeded to beat the fat dude in the face with it.
I’m pretty sure I’ve got a VHS of wild zero around here somewhere.

My comfort movie…….honestly any of the Friday or Nightmare movies, they are all such easy watches and I know them so well I don’t need to concentrate to hard on them.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I like the final destination movies for comfort horror. They're dumb but well made and they go down smooth

I'm the same, when I'm looking to zone out I'll put on these and other late 90s/early 2000s mindless schlock like 13 Ghosts or House on Haunted Hill. There's something fun about the overwrought drama and bad decisions that comes standard in every character. The Saw series works too.

If I want to watch something to feel better my go-tos are Evil Dead 2, Dawn of the Dead, and Night of the Demons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Horror thread, I need your help!

I'm trying to track down copies (either physical or, preferably, digital) of Koji Shiraishi's two Ada films (Part One and Part Two). Anyone have a line on these?

Included in this link

Snooze Cruise posted:

here, i can't message you for some reason

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Does The Happiness of the Katakuris count as horror? Id say so, although its as much comedy musical...Def one of my top 5 favorite films period and an all-time comfort film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puen3HM_5l4

It also has some all time bangers

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Ooh, comfort horror? Good question.

My non-goon partner goes with: Silence of the Lambs, (Kubrik's) The Shining, and Room 237
Mine are: Aliens and either Elm St 4/Friday 7

I'd maybe put Evil Dead 2 on there, but maybe that's just because I watched Evil Dead Rises last night. Not bad; I was surprised at how much I liked it. Sure, it's not perfect and I got some criticisms, but not enough to say I wasted time on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had a hard time thinking of a comfort horror. Its not that I cant find horror chill, its just when i want to veg out I throw on like Always Sunny, or the Office, or something i can just white noise my brain to chill.

But I do have some horror films I always throw on when I see em. The best one though for me is Red Eye. I loving love that movie, and whenever I see it on any streaming service I throw it on immediately. I love the vibe, and the tension. And American Psycho. It cracks me up.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Comfort horror for me is Hammer or other stuff from that era of British horror. If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

top 3 comfort horrors:
1) Salo
2) Martyrs
3) Begotten

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

Comfort horror for me is Hammer or other stuff from that era of British horror. If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

That's why for me Horror of Dracula is probably the ultimate Hammer film, you have Peter Cushing in his drawing room wearing like a deep red velvet dinner jacket listening to a recording of Peter Cushing discussing vampire lore.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

I am always down for watching Hellraiser

Yeah I always come back to OG Hellraiser. Aside from the fact that it's generally great, the fact that the musical score kills it, as well as the Frank and Julia characters being so memorable, make it infinitely rewatchable for me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Flying Zamboni posted:

If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

Same, especially if there's a deathly serious scene where someone figures out that the mysterious new count in town is actually Dracula

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

btw for Poe Cycle-heads: one of the other Datlow-edited film-centric horror anthologies has a story by Kim Newman called “Illimitable Dominion”, which is funny and which you’ll probably like

edit: if your library can’t find it, apparently it was performed on this ep of a horror fiction pcast https://talestoterrify.com/episodes/tales-to-terrify-no-25-kim-newman/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Comfort Horror (movies i put on all the time just to soak up the vibes):

Beyond the Black Rainbow
Take Shelter
Twin Peaks season 3