Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Borderlands 1 did that too, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is up with AMD not releasing any official drivers for the Z1 and 7840U chips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHoO5Q4m208

That seems kinda weird right?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
In the halls of shader shame, let us not forget the optional tick box for Duke Nukem Forever that applied modern-for-2011 effects as one awful gloopy shader. Chromatic aberration, blurry depth of field, and SSAO, just a horrifying botch as implemented. I remember someone out there made a patch that “fixed” it by scanning that portion of memory within the EXE and blocked those portions of the shader from executing, but that’s Doom DeHacked levels of attacking something broken at release.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the #1 spot in the postprocessing hall of shame has to be for games which attempted to simulate bloom without rendering HDR internally, so they just blew out everything white regardless of brightness

looking at you oblivion

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

repiv posted:

the #1 spot in the postprocessing hall of shame has to be for games which attempted to simulate bloom without rendering HDR internally, so they just blew out everything white regardless of brightness

looking at you oblivion

Pretty sure Valve did this back in the day with the Half-Life 2 bloom stuff they introduced in Lost Coast. Looked awful.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure Valve did this back in the day with the Half-Life 2 bloom stuff they introduced in Lost Coast. Looked awful.

Lost Coast was cool

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lost coast was one of the first releases to have HDR lighting, they just got a bit over enthusiastic with the bloom strength

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Did lost coast have actual HDR? I thought it was faked. Who the hell had a monitor that supported HDR back then?

Maybe I should download it again real quick and check it out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

looking at you oblivion

I have fond memories of enabling bloom in Fallout 3 and it overheating my laptop to the point of causing the textures to glitch out

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did lost coast have actual HDR? I thought it was faked. Who the hell had a monitor that supported HDR back then?

nobody did, nor can games of that era output HDR to a HDR monitor now that they do exist, but rendering HDR internally is desirable for accuracy even if it's squished down to SDR for display

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Mark my words, in 15-20 years, on the off chance society somehow hasn't collapsed by then, we'll be looking back at the smeared temporally accumulated and interpolated mess of today's games with the same disdain we have for the blurry brownness that was that first crop of games with "HDR".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

nobody did, nor can games of that era output HDR to a HDR monitor now that they do exist, but rendering HDR internally is desirable for accuracy even if it's squished down to SDR for display

yeah i remember the big selling points were stuff like the global illumination seeming to change when you stepped indoors/outdoors to mimic the human eye adjusting to the light change, stuff like that. it was "hdr" in the sense of being higher than what else was there, not actual HDR monitor support.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

repiv posted:

yeah that poo poo was awful

shooters have thankfully stopped doing that as far as i'm aware, the only place i notice it nowadays is them blurring the near part of your weapon model when you aim down sights, which is fine

for realism it should focus on the distant stuff and blur out both your sights I think?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

looking at you oblivion

playing around with oblivion graphics extenders made me realize how versatile the bloom effect is, and that it can look good when used appropriately

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MarcusSA posted:

What is up with AMD not releasing any official drivers for the Z1 and 7840U chips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHoO5Q4m208

That seems kinda weird right?

Maybe Z1 is weird since it’s a specialty embedded gaming chip, but there’s no possible way they don’t release drivers for the 7840U.

Even with the Z1 it’s weird that they wouldn’t be, but that’s how it used to be for everything. Even with the original Zen1 APUs you were at the tender mercy of the laptop vendor to package the updates for you, and finally people bitched enough that AMD put them onto the mainline release. So like, as little as 5 years ago that was still a thing.

Most likely it’s just a release timing problem and it’ll show up in a month or two. Just like RDNA2 fell behind while they were going all-hands-on-deck for the RDNA3 drivers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The traditional way to get drivers for your ATIAMD mobile GPU was from some random guy that hacked the dev id list and did other “tweaks”.

edit: for example

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 12, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

steckles posted:

Mark my words, in 15-20 years, on the off chance society somehow hasn't collapsed by then, we'll be looking back at the smeared temporally accumulated and interpolated mess of today's games with the same disdain we have for the blurry brownness that was that first crop of games with "HDR".

never go full /r/fuckTAA folks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The traditional way to get drivers for your ATIAMD mobile GPU was from some random guy that hacked the dev id list and did other “tweaks”.

lmao I remember those drivers

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

steckles posted:

Nah. Games now are doing a markedly better job of showing detail than they ever did before. We're years into the era of details being smaller than one pixel. Throw that stuff in a conventional renderer with no supersampling and it would look horrid.

The only games that will actually look bad when you go back to run them will be the ones capped to low frame rates. Even quite bad spatiotemporal aliasing is barely noticeable if you are running 500 FPS.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arivia posted:

yeah i remember the big selling points were stuff like the global illumination seeming to change when you stepped indoors/outdoors to mimic the human eye adjusting to the light change, stuff like that. it was "hdr" in the sense of being higher than what else was there, not actual HDR monitor support.

I loved that poo poo in Halo 3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

likewise DOF should be used extremely sparingly during gameplay, it's mainly a tool for scripted sequences

Though games with fixed perspectives can get away with using depth of field. Talking about HD 2D games, the Link's Awakening remake, etc.

Arivia posted:

it was "hdr" in the sense of being higher than what else was there, not actual HDR monitor support.

It was the same HDR as it is today, but done internally in the game engine before being tone-mapped to SDR for output. In HDR rendering, luminance is assigned an absolute value, and it's just a better and more accurate way of rendering things when you want fine control over the luminance of any scene, and it's helpful to simulate many camera effects.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 12, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What do you mean by an absolute value? As in "this thing would be throwing X lumens if it were a real object"?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Arrath posted:

I loved that poo poo in Halo 3.

Halo 3 had two frame buffers (one high dynamic range and one low dynamic range) just for this effect, it's why it had such a low resolution but really vivid colors. Among the other games of the piss filter era, Halo 3 really stood out.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

What do you mean by an absolute value? As in "this thing would be throwing X lumens if it were a real object"?
Not absolute units, but the scale needs to be able to represent the full dynamic range of actual scenes, like how the sun is like a thousand times brighter than a light bulb. Difficult to do on a 0-255 scale, before HDR pipelines you'd get highlights clipping all the time and light sources needing to be weak enough that they don't blow out every scene.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 12, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Pretty much. In modern display terms, that's exactly how it works. Content is mastered to exact luminance levels, and every properly calibrated HDR display should in theory display that content at the same luminance level. Though in practice this gets muddied by displays with different capabilities and the different ways they handle tone mapping.

Inside the game engine's render pipeline, the biggest effect is the much greater range of luminance they have available. They don't have to fake bloom effects and camera exposure poo poo in an unconvincing manner, they can just say "the luminance inside this tunnel is 1 nit and outside the tunnel is 2000 nits" (though they'll probably use some other value than nits) and then the end of the tunnel will be blindingly bright until you reach it and the camera exposure shifts.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Yeah hdr in games was originally a term for using internal lighting values beyond the range of a monitor, then converting. Most still were not using say lumens or nits. That didn't start happening till pbr

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

1060 6gb out, 6700 XT in :pcgaming:

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Jesus Christ memory unlocked right there

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Nah. Games now are doing a markedly better job of showing detail than they ever did before. We're years into the era of details being smaller than one pixel. Throw that stuff in a conventional renderer with no supersampling and it would look horrid.

The only games that will actually look bad when you go back to run them will be the ones capped to low frame rates. Even quite bad spatiotemporal aliasing is barely noticeable if you are running 500 FPS.
I am only being a little hyperbolic. Modern TAA is of course effective at combatting moiré, but the root cause of that is the unsophisticated handling of geometry that exists in today's games. Like what nanite has done for mesh decimation and getting closer to the ideal of two triangles per pixel, I think we've only just scratched the surface of what's possible with new algorithms and engine design. Of course stuff like temporally accumulated RT and GI, where the lighting follows it's own idea of time completely, is something we'll never fix just by adding up more frames.

Plus I think people will just naturally become less tolerant of ghosting and weird artifacts once the shininess of real time path tracing and more-triangles-than-pixels wears off. Like, nobody actually wants those things, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think this was posted, but there is a Prime deal on a RX 7900XTX for $899.00 and it comes with a copy of Starfield

https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-prime-day-deal-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-better-than-geforce-rtx-4080

It's a PowerColor which I have never heard of though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FlamingLiberal posted:

PowerColor has been making Radeon boards since the GPUs were made by ATI. Actually, before the first Radeon branded card was made in the late 90s/early 2000s and AMD itself was busy launching the original K6, lol. They are generally considered fine/good in AMD board-land (with some awesome cards mixed in, mostly in their RedDevil line)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 13, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think this was posted, but there is a Prime deal on a RX 7900XTX for $899.00 and it comes with a copy of Starfield

https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-prime-day-deal-amd-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-better-than-geforce-rtx-4080

Powercolor has been around for almost 3 decades. der8auer recently did a tour of their factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3uh7s3Scuo

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I ordered a Red Devil 7900 XTX from Amazon this morning, should get delivered tomorrow. Gonna be a little cramped in my Meshify C tho. I kinda want to get a E-ATX Torrent...

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 13, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The 6700 XT deal from yesterday is a PowerColor - the temps are good and the noise under load doesn't make me mad or sad, and for being a budget card it feels nicely built (the metal backplate helps there)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

DoombatINC posted:

The 6700 XT deal from yesterday is a PowerColor - the temps are good and the noise under load doesn't make me mad or sad, and for being a budget card it feels nicely built (the metal backplate helps there)
I ordered this myself today, seemed like a great deal. That was before I even realized it comes with the extra fancy edition of Starfield with early access.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kramjacks posted:

I ordered a Red Devil 7900 XTX from Amazon this morning, should get delivered tomorrow. Gonna be a little cramped in my Meshify C tho. I kinda want to get a E-ATX Torrent...

If you are wanting a challenge and possible aesthetic nightmare, you could always do a custom loop with an external radiator. Use quick disconnects to make it quick and easy to separate can help make maintenance and moving it easier, too.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Kibner posted:

If you are wanting a challenge and possible aesthetic nightmare, you could always do a custom loop with an external radiator. Use quick disconnects to make it quick and easy to separate can help make maintenance and moving it easier, too.

I did that years ago with a Titan-X, had the CPU on the same loop. Worked great, but I decided that it was just too much trouble and too much cost to bother with again.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kramjacks posted:

I did that years ago with a Titan-X, had the CPU on the same loop. Worked great, but I decided that it was just too much trouble and too much cost to bother with again.

I did it just recently as my first attempt at liquid cooling of any kind. Lol

It's been working pretty well and those lian li SL infinity fans make it look pretty. I still need to 3d print some custom brackets for USB, sata power, and dp out to really make it clean looking, though. Working in the meshlicious case.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the oculink stuff is pretty neat
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1679114769251328000?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It continually feels weird that AMD still has Saphire and Powercolor kicking around while NVIDIA, is, well NVIDIA.