Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Iron man would be red with gold accents

I think that's just a phenomenally ugly truck with a custom body kit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wesleywillis posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is that supposed to be?
I've seen punisher skull jeep front ends posted here in AI before.
Is that like an Iron man front end ford or something?
(I don't really know my marvel/superhero lore).

You're looking at toxic masculinity literally manifest. That's it, there is nothing else to it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You would think all the poo poo on the front of it would stifle airflow and cause it to overheat, especially in Florida.

It's actually a tesserect doing 4-dimensional cooling.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I haven't seen the rest of the photos, but the Ryobi theme is definitely on point.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If you're gonna drive something stupid, might as well go hog-wild.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You would think all the poo poo on the front of it would stifle airflow and cause it to overheat, especially in Florida.

You'd think it would do a stoppie under hard braking with all that weight on the front end. I'm assuming it's actually steel, 1/8" at least, of course. Because otherwise it's just poser poo poo, and what bro-trucker would do that?

wesleywillis posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is that supposed to be?
I've seen punisher skull jeep front ends posted here in AI before.
Is that like an Iron man front end ford or something?
(I don't really know my marvel/superhero lore).

It's a pretend military vehicle.
edit: mil-spec cosplay, if you will.

KakerMix posted:

You're looking at toxic masculinity literally manifest. That's it, there is nothing else to it.

Same thing.

The Door Frame posted:

You wish trucks were that cheap

Why won't you tell me the price of that truck Ford dealer?

Why won't you tell me a price Ford?

Actual content that I had to be talked out of buying from the same classifieds

$3500 is such a reasonable price, how many opportunities am I going to get one of these...

Where did you get those pictures? That doesn't look like any website I've ever seen. Weirdly low-res.
(:haw:)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Packard straight eight 5.2L flat head speedster :circlefap:

Modern build/recreation, handmade aluminum body on shortened chassis

Note the chain driven distributor

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:stwoon:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I miss grabbing a buy n sell from the gas station as a kid

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

That’s how I’d look at it too but oddly enough the only two people I know who would like that are women

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Packard straight eight 5.2L flat head speedster :circlefap:

Modern build/recreation, handmade aluminum body on shortened chassis

Note the chain driven distributor

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Snowy posted:

That’s how I’d look at it too but oddly enough the only two people I know who would like that are women

Toxic masculinity isn't a men-only thing though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beats the hell out of yet another model A chassis rat rod, #356,289, I suppose

Looks like it comes with all the relevant rolling chassis gear, minus the steering box for some reason

Edit: the shock absorber for the front suspension is built into the upper A arm

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 9, 2023

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hadlock posted:

Edit: the shock absorber for the front suspension is built into the upper A arm

That’s how MGs worked through 1980. There’s still a great lever shock rebuilder in Wisconsin who makes them better than new —different damper rates and modern sealed bearings compared to the originals that were designed to slowly leak out.

http://www.nosimport.com/Lever-shocks-remanufactured/mg-b-lever-shocks?product_id=1284

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KakerMix posted:

Toxic masculinity isn't a men-only thing though.

If you're a woman it's called "poisonous butchality" :pseudo:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dear thread, I never thought this would happen to me, but in my area somebody is selling a car and I'm really tempted:

1991 Toyota Corolla
132,000 km
$1000

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

That would clean up spectacularly!

Do it!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dear thread, I never thought this would happen to me, but in my area somebody is selling a car and I'm really tempted:

1991 Toyota Corolla
132,000 km
$1000

It's an automatic, but for $1k, I was going to ask for a source until I reread and saw km instead of mi

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Beats the hell out of yet another model A chassis rat rod, #356,289, I suppose

Man, they really wanted that rear axle to stay together. That's a lot of bolts.

The Door Frame posted:

It's an automatic, but for $1k, I was going to ask for a source until I reread and saw km instead of mi

I figured the "Newfoundland" license plate would be a dead giveaway. :P

Also, how short are the people that currently own that? My knees hurt just looking at the front seat position.
edit: buy it, though!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Man, they really wanted that rear axle to stay together. That's a lot of bolts.

Well as Ernest Hives said, "I suppose [...] we are a little better at putting our mistakes right than most of the other people." 74 years later and that diff seal is still holding :sweatdrop:

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Hmmm, this is looking pretty tempting

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

another loser posted:

Hmmm, this is looking pretty tempting

Would

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Think I've worn down the wife enough to make a trip to check it out tonight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Well as Ernest Hives said, "I suppose [...] we are a little better at putting our mistakes right than most of the other people." 74 years later and that diff seal is still holding :sweatdrop:

Oh, no doubt that's the RR way. The diff on the '70s-'80s models is like a 10.5" ring gear in an IRS. The dude that build the "zero fucks given" V8 RX-7 build a drift car out of one and learned how large it was when welding it up for drifting.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

evobatman posted:

That would clean up spectacularly!

Do it!

This is as clean as it would ever get

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

1991 Toyota Corolla
132,000 km
$1000

$1000 gets you nothing nowdays.

That said, look at the underside and make sure it isn't just the carpet holding the floor together.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

$1000 gets you nothing nowdays.

That said, look at the underside and make sure it isn't just the carpet holding the floor together.

Sage advice.

I also noticed in the photos that the headliner is falling off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buy it, replace the necessary braking system parts, put a quart of oil in it and rev the tits off it while doing jumps

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Buy it, replace the necessary braking system parts, put a quart of oil in it and rev the tits off it while doing jumps

If that's the same three speed that Toyota was still using in 2002 somehow, "rev the tits off of it" just means drive modern freeway speeds.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
true story I have a 97 and the first time I drove it on the highway I thought it was missing a gear or something

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
This is right up the road from my house...

I'm guessing it's 90% Crown Vic so parts would be cheap. I have no reason to buy this other than it's my style. I have an '07 Legacy now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than not being a beautiful couch on wheels. Someone talk me out of this.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

This is right up the road from my house...

I'm guessing it's 90% Crown Vic so parts would be cheap. I have no reason to buy this other than it's my style. I have an '07 Legacy now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it other than not being a beautiful couch on wheels. Someone talk me out of this.

If you're caught up on bills and your kids don't currently need shoes, I can't imagine a better pairing between you and this car for the $3000 they'd probably let it go for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NoWake posted:

If you're caught up on bills and your kids don't currently need shoes, I can't imagine a better pairing between you and this car for the $3000 they'd probably let it go for.
Yeah.

I get a decent first impression from a company that took 2 minutes to clean the car, type up the ad with reasonable info and stick it in the window. I suspect it's probably been maintained with fluid changes and better maintenance than 90% of vehicles with 1/4 the mileage since it appears to have almost made it to the moon and back and looks as good as it does.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ah yes we typically run our vehicles to four hundred thousand miles because after that they turn to dust.

I mean, it seems like an interesting choice. Not the most fun car, should be a comfortable car that I'd drive with a low level anxiety due to the wear.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd have to assume it's due for an engine rebuild even if those were a lot of easy miles.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The seller is a bus/limo service so i'd imagine everything was serviced well over the years. With that kind of mileage the engine would have been replaced or rebuilt at some point right? Heads at the VERY least. I don't know of any regular engine in any car that will go 430k with the OG internals intact. I've been making some calls about selling a few things. If the planets align and it's still there once I gather $3k, and it drives Ok I'll buy it. Who knows, I might fall in love with the thing and sell my Subaru. Or I could throw a stereo in it and flip it to someone at work and pocket a few hundred bucks. Or it does a blues brothers the moment I hand over the cash.

Also, I got a pic of the interior and VIN...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The seller is a bus/limo service so i'd imagine everything was serviced well over the years. With that kind of mileage the engine would have been replaced or rebuilt at some point right? Heads at the VERY least. I don't know of any regular engine in any car that will go 430k with the OG internals intact. I've been making some calls about selling a few things. If the planets align and it's still there once I gather $3k, and it drives Ok I'll buy it. Who knows, I might fall in love with the thing and sell my Subaru. Or I could throw a stereo in it and flip it to someone at work and pocket a few hundred bucks. Or it does a blues brothers the moment I hand over the cash.

I'm pretty sure that the million mile Volvo did it without replacing or rebuilding the engine, and I know for a fact that the million mile Tundra did it on the stock transmission, too: https://www.motortrend.com/features/million-mile-tundra-the-tear-down/

quote:

Tearing down would confirm their suspicions. From the piston heads, valve stems, crankshaft journals, and the block itself, the engine was in impeccable condition. Examining the parts in person was quite amazing. There was very little carbon buildup on the valve stems, the cross hatching was still visible on the cylinder walls, and the crankshaft journals had no visible wear marks. The only real blemish found was one slight mark on a bearing.

"We remeasured the head, the block, and cams in our lab," said Connie Roberts, Toyota quality manager. "Nothing was abnormal. It wasn't within specifications, but after a million miles it isn't going to be. The biggest surprise to me was the bearings. They are probably the cleanest I've ever seen come out of an engine. "

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would assume if an engine had been rebuilt or replaced the seller would mention that but sellers are often dumb so who knows.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I have a Town Car of that same year, but with ~70k miles. From what I can tell, it was owned by an old person who spent some time driving/parking by braile before they stopped driving, and then the car sat for some number of years.

I love my big mobile couch. It's not fast but it's not SLOW, and all of the issues I've had with it can be traced back to either sitting for a long period of time, or parking-by-braile. It's like driving a couch and it corners like a spanish treasure galleon. It gets crap gas mileage, but I really like it.

One issue with these cars is the clearcoat will most likely start peeling off, mine started about two years ago, one year after I bought it and started parking it outside. If the clearcoat on that one isn't peeling, it's been parked inside and probably been kept fairly clean.
The transmission might be another thing to look at, but the ad says it was replaced so maybe it's fine.
The engines in these cars are the Ford 4.6, which uses a timing chain. It could possibly be stretched or need chain guides, but it shouldn't have the kind of catastrophic failure a timing belt might.

They do share a lot of parts with a Crown Vic. 2003's and later were the final version, with slightly upgraded suspension and maybe some other better bits compared to previous years. I'd like to find a Police Interceptor Crown Victoria (P71 in the vin number) and swap the limited slip rearend from that into my Lincoln, but I don't know that I ever will. High mileage like that on these cars isn't that unusual, you can find ex-fleet/taxi/police cars with similar mileage. They're pretty solid, last of the body-on-frame dinosaurs.

Pretty color too, mine is a boring white. The price seems extremely reasonable, used cars have gotten expensive but most people aren't looking at old grandpa boats like that. I'd say you should go take it for a test drive and see what you think, do some figure-8's in a parking lot to see if the body roll bothers you (one coworker of mine says he gets seasick when riding in my car).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I'd have to assume it's due for an engine rebuild even if those were a lot of easy miles.

Depending on the climate, it's probably got a poo poo ton of idle hours, too.

The ford mod motors get a bad rap for their common glaring failures, but i can't think of a passenger vehicle engine out there that has moved more people/stuff more distance.

I don't think there's an engine out there that more people have been personally been transported by, at least in North America.

a 400k mile ford would still give me pause. Even if the engine and trans are solid, all the switch gear and stuff, ugh.