Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Skunkduster posted:

I'd second replacing that board. If you look at the end grain, you can see the "pith" or center of the log. Boards cut from the pith are most prone to warping. That is certainly a huge contributor to your cupping problem as well as whatever water has soaked into it over the years. If you can pick through the pile, look for boards with the straightest lines in the end grain. That bullseye endgrain on your board is what you want to avoid if possible.
I would have never thought about this but it makes sense now I've read it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tangy yet delightful posted:

Debated between posting ITT and the fix it fast thread, how fast is fast you know?

Anyway I've got a gutter run where the fascia board is coming away from the rafters at both ends, if the wood is original to the house it's 40+ years old, so I think that cutting some of the ends away and scabbing on fresh wood to nail/screw a new fascia board into would be the best solution before remounting the gutter (or installing a new gutter). Pics below, what advice can ya'll give me on this?

Having just gone through exactly this (though with no gutters), the end grain of your rafters is probably not as bad as you think. You could very possibly do a jackleg repair by just shooting some long screws through the existing fascia and into the rafter endgrain. Nails pull out of endgrain stupidly easy, and they they may just be pulling out because that board is so warped, not because the rafters are rotten. I was able to scab 2x4's on the backside (away from the street) of the rafters that weren't able to hold a screw (like 4 out of 50, and in many places the fascia was completely rotten and there had been no drip edge on my roof ever) and once they are painted they pretty much disappear.

If there's no drip edge on that fascia (I see it on the barge rafter), add some so the water off the roof definitely makes it into the gutter and not onto the fascia.

My fascia board was a 1x4 and I replaced it with KDAT. Not cheap, but its super nice being able to get it painted all 6 sides on the ground and just have to do some touch up off a ladder. With normal treated stuff you would need to wait a few weeks before painting.

Definitely the first step is take the gutters off and do some further investigating/exploratory surgery though.

E:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would have never thought about this but it makes sense now I've read it. Thanks!
To follow up on this, this is another reason to use KDAT pine. It is usually a higher grade (generally C/BTR) that has straighter grain and is much more likely to be quartersawn and won't have the pith in it because it is from bigger, older, slower grown trees and that makes for all around much more stable wood.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 11, 2023

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Skunkduster posted:

I'd second replacing that board. If you look at the end grain, you can see the "pith" or center of the log. Boards cut from the pith are most prone to warping. That is certainly a huge contributor to your cupping problem as well as whatever water has soaked into it over the years. If you can pick through the pile, look for boards with the straightest lines in the end grain. That bullseye endgrain on your board is what you want to avoid if possible.

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned galvanized, but linked to stainless. Is one more preferable to the other?

Stainless steel fasteners are better since the entire nail is corrosion resistant whereas galvanized just has a corrosion resistant coating , they just don’t make stainless gun nails … thats all. If you want you can use galvanized, any exterior finish nail of appropriate length will work

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Honestly I'd just use big screws if you're going to try and keep the existing board.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'd replace the fascia board. If any of the rafter ends are weak, sister blocks into them, and run at least 3" SS screws dipped in Liquid Nails to fasten the new fascia board. Screwing into end grain is not ideal, but short of strapping or flanging at each apex (not a realistic solution) your best bet is to be sure it never gets wet.

When I built my garage I used 3/4" plywood for fascia, and wrapped it in aluminum. I also boxed it in with a soffit, which doesn't appear to be ideal in your case.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 11, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

1. Remove gutter and fascia
2. Inspect the situation, possibly rafters aren't bad per Kaiser, I think at least I'll need a new fascia board for the one that's cupped (this run is long enough there's probably 4 or more fascia boards up there).
3. Buy wood and fasteners. Oh and some gutter hangers.
3a. Look into KDAT availability and pricing.
3b. Oh also buy some exterior paint.
3c. Do I need stainless steel screws mr. painterofcrap? Currently I have Saber Drive 3" Deck Screws with XL1500 COATING, is an exterior rated coated screw fine or do I need to seek out stainless only?
3d. Did you just splooge out some liquidnails from a caulking tube and then dip away?
4. From my framing book this appears to be exposed eaves construction so yeah boxing it with a soffit setup would be both work plus maybe visually look weird???
5. Scab, sister, wood things. Paint the PT wood after it's dry if I didn't get KDAT stuff.
6. Put the gutter back up before the rainy season, see if it needs some flashing (I guess if the shingles don't overhang enough into the gutter).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
In the process of starting to finish refinishing my kitchen cabinet doors I hung pegboard in my workshop. I've had it laying around for over a year. I had to rearrange the workshop to vacuum it in prep for finishing the doors, so I pulled the pegboard out from behind the shelves. Once I did that I either had to install it or put it back. I painted it white, screwed some standoffs to the wall, and made my wife help me put it up.

Victory! Of a sort. I'll probably start finishing the doors by thursday.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
AAARGH I went to the hardware store to buy 2 longer bolts. I tested the existing bolt on the size and thread tester, it checked out. Got home and...

they are too big. Hardware store is closed, gotta go back tomorrow

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Vim Fuego posted:

In the process of starting to finish refinishing my kitchen cabinet doors I hung pegboard in my workshop. I've had it laying around for over a year. I had to rearrange the workshop to vacuum it in prep for finishing the doors, so I pulled the pegboard out from behind the shelves. Once I did that I either had to install it or put it back. I painted it white, screwed some standoffs to the wall, and made my wife help me put it up.

Victory! Of a sort. I'll probably start finishing the doors by thursday.

My PO covered the garage with pegboard and I haven’t had much luck with it. Maybe I just have lovely peg holders but they don’t really hold up much of anything .. so I put sheeting over it and screwed wire scraps to the plywood and fashioned hooks out of them.

Works really well for me as they hold a surprising amount of weight and it’s infinitely customizable. Fashioning the hooks and getting everything sorted is surprisingly relaxing, too

Still a work in progress but finally I’m getting my tools in one easily accessible place and my workbench surfaces cleared

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

UKJeff posted:

My PO covered the garage with pegboard and I haven’t had much luck with it. Maybe I just have lovely peg holders but they don’t really hold up much of anything .. so I put sheeting over it and screwed wire scraps to the plywood and fashioned hooks out of them.

Works really well for me as they hold a surprising amount of weight and it’s infinitely customizable. Fashioning the hooks and getting everything sorted is surprisingly relaxing, too

Still a work in progress but finally I’m getting my tools in one easily accessible place and my workbench surfaces cleared

Is that a Japanese pull saw made by DeWalt? Didn't see that coming.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Most pegboard at big box stores is very thin. The proper stuff is online only. You want at least a full 1/4 inch thickness.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mutata posted:

Most pegboard at big box stores is very thin. The proper stuff is online only. You want at least a full 1/4 inch thickness.

You can make the poo poo stuff work by putting plywood behind it with a poo poo-ton of stand offs. I mean at that point you might as well just order the real thing, but it's a reasonable fix if you're just talking a few square feet for an odd corner and you've got the crap sitting around to do it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We make pretty decent use of the pegboard I put up in the basement, but there's always a 50/50 shot the hanger falls down when you take something off of it. Some things are worse than others, but it is enough of an annoyance to make something like what UKJeff or the Finnish priest guy has posted in the past look like a worthwhile project.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If the hangers are going to be there basically permanently just epoxy the fuckers in.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Some part of my brain protests about making something permanent on a board meant to be changeable, but that would allow more time for the actual projects using the tools....

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

VelociBacon posted:

Is that a Japanese pull saw made by DeWalt? Didn't see that coming.

It’s a Dewalt saw of unknown provenance that I bought once when I needed a handsaw but was away from home .. it is not very good and I do not recommend it :D

mutata posted:

I’ve seen aluminum pegboard type stuff where each slot is rated to 75lbs or something but it’s not cheap .. honestly, the pegboard isn’t really inexpensive either. Unlike the plywood + wire which literally makes use of scrap material

This has worked so well for me that even if I had the money I’m not sure I’d upgrade. Maybe if I had a professional shop where appearance mattered but for keeping my home tools off the workbench and organized, i cant ask For more, really.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve only had issues with single hole hooks and for those I put the little strap over them that takes up 3 holes, then there’s no issues.

Highly recommend getting wine drunk during a holiday and organizing it all while trying to avoid family.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Some part of my brain protests about making something permanent on a board meant to be changeable, but that would allow more time for the actual projects using the tools....

It’s meant to be customizable, big difference.

The idea is that you can set it up exactly like how you need it, not that you are rearranging your garage mis en place every month.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

The Dave posted:

I’ve only had issues with single hole hooks and for those I put the little strap over them that takes up 3 holes, then there’s no issues.

Highly recommend getting wine drunk during a holiday and organizing it all while trying to avoid family.

This is true, the screwdriver sixpack and the hammer hooks have never been an issue, it's always the little singles.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s meant to be customizable, big difference.

The idea is that you can set it up exactly like how you need it, not that you are rearranging your garage mis en place every month.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's rational, and am planning to secure at least the individual hooks now after discussing it. Everything has been in the same spot for years (except when the hook falls on the floor) and it would be :10bux: to replace one of the boards if it was epoxied and we did want to rearrange, but a small voice in the back of my head that I need to practice ignoring immediately pipes up with, "but that would be permanent!"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Or just cut the hook off and abandon it, unless it blocks your use of a hole you need.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Or just cut the hook off and abandon it, unless it blocks your use of a hole you need.

And if it does drill out the hole.

I'm willing to bet all the tools to fix this problem are conveniently located on or near the board in question, lol.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Pegboarding is the bikeshedding of the workshop

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

Pegboarding is the bikeshedding of the workshop

I'm pretty sure a pegboard is what's going on under your av.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a, uh, let's say an "aversion" to permanence. My father in law helped me put of pegboard on a wall in my garage a few months ago, so I've got a 20 foot x 4 foot expanse of pegboard. We threw a bunch of stuff there initially just to get it up there, but I find myself moving stuff around some as I get a better sense for how I actually use the space (which is also always up in the air, because all my work surfaces are wheeled carts that move around). So I appreciate the lack of permanence. Maybe after like a year I might decide I'm happy with things where they are. But really those clips are just perfect for actually securing things. My Menards pegboard kits don't come with them, but the ones from Home Depot do, so you just have to be mindful where you're buying.

Speaking of permanence, because of my ADHD I can easily forget what tool goes where, especially if I've pulled a few down or if it's been a while since I've taken it down. So I would like to eventually mark what tools go where so I don't forget. But that's permanent! So instead I'll agonize over some sturdy but removable marking system and then never do anything with it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I have a, uh, let's say an "aversion" to permanence. My father in law helped me put of pegboard on a wall in my garage a few months ago, so I've got a 20 foot x 4 foot expanse of pegboard. We threw a bunch of stuff there initially just to get it up there, but I find myself moving stuff around some as I get a better sense for how I actually use the space (which is also always up in the air, because all my work surfaces are wheeled carts that move around). So I appreciate the lack of permanence. Maybe after like a year I might decide I'm happy with things where they are. But really those clips are just perfect for actually securing things. My Menards pegboard kits don't come with them, but the ones from Home Depot do, so you just have to be mindful where you're buying.

Speaking of permanence, because of my ADHD I can easily forget what tool goes where, especially if I've pulled a few down or if it's been a while since I've taken it down. So I would like to eventually mark what tools go where so I don't forget. But that's permanent! So instead I'll agonize over some sturdy but removable marking system and then never do anything with it.

See, this guy gets it. Must be a Minnesota thing.

Also good to know about the clips being a Home Depot thing. I'm 99% sure I got two boxes of the Menards ones and have no idea what clips were being referred to.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My garage gets dirty, so I thoroughly enjoy things being put away in cabinets vs sitting out on peg board.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Blowjob Overtime posted:

See, this guy gets it. Must be a Minnesota thing.

Also good to know about the clips being a Home Depot thing. I'm 99% sure I got two boxes of the Menards ones and have no idea what clips were being referred to.

Check out some of the pictures on this to see what we're talking about, particularly the close ups of the hanging wrenches (it's a little tricky because they stupidly took the pictures of the black clips on black peg board) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Pegboard-Hook-Assortment-Kit-32-Piece-18029/202305509. Knowing what to look for, it's probably pretty easy to get like a 1000 pack of just the clips for $3 on Amazon, I've just never looked.

Verman posted:

My garage gets dirty, so I thoroughly enjoy things being put away in cabinets vs sitting out on peg board.

The joys of ADHD, if I can't see it, it may very well not exist. So having things out in the open has been nice.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verman posted:

Kind of the same. I just see them as a mess rather than organized versus having them behind a closed drawer. Even if in that drawer is just a pile of pliers that sometimes keep them from being opened.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Check out some of the pictures on this to see what we're talking about, particularly the close ups of the hanging wrenches (it's a little tricky because they stupidly took the pictures of the black clips on black peg board) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Steel-Pegboard-Hook-Assortment-Kit-32-Piece-18029/202305509. Knowing what to look for, it's probably pretty easy to get like a 1000 pack of just the clips for $3 on Amazon, I've just never looked.

It would be much better to buy a 3d printer, figure out how to make it work and print them yourself. Just so you know exactly where they came from and can customize them as necessary. At least to go along with this theme.

(I'm very guilty of this, just not in regards to pegboard)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Kind of the same. I just see them as a mess rather than organized versus having them behind a closed drawer. Even if in that drawer is just a pile of pliers that sometimes keep them from being opened.

My drawers are a white hot mess. I might have to knock some sanding dust off of a wrench if I reach for it on the board, but at least I have some loving idea where the thing is.

edit: like, pliers next to random nails next to mystery meat pocket knives and random blobs of steel wool and probably a screwdriver or five. Just a disorganized mess of whatever I needed to get off my bench and swept into whatever random drawer was nearest.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ope, 200 clips for $12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BBZ4KQ2/ref=twister_B08BC9Y9F8?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can make the poo poo stuff work by putting plywood behind it with a poo poo-ton of stand offs. I mean at that point you might as well just order the real thing, but it's a reasonable fix if you're just talking a few square feet for an odd corner and you've got the crap sitting around to do it.

My Home Depot only has the metal pegboards and they loving suck. All the hooks just fall out and the clips don't work for most of the types. I have a wooden one in the shed that came with the house and it works great. Where do you go to get "the real thing"?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

So instead I'll agonize over some sturdy but removable marking system and then never do anything with it.

Easy, get a brother label maker and go to town. I would get one that plugs in, they eat batteries like you wouldn't believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCEKCDA/ was $102 when I bought it. Comes with a nice case and everything. Buy some 1" and 1/2" black-on-white tape.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 12, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

My Home Depot only has the metal pegboards and they loving suck. All the hooks just fall out and the clips don't work for most of the types. I have a wooden one in the shed that came with the house and it works great. Where do you go to get "the real thing"?

I got mine at HD a few years back, but it wasn't an item they stocked at the store. Ordered it online delivered to the store.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Can someone talk to me about my dampers?

I have three in the basement: 1 next to the basement furnace, and 2 more next to the basement staircase. I am trying to figure out what damper controls what floor and I'm very confused. I closed them one at a time and have only been able to figure out minimal information:

- The 1st damper (closest to the staircase) seems to only control some side vents in the house, particularly the side vent on the bottom of the first floor hallway/staircase.

- The 2nd damper (next to the 1st) seems to control nothing!

- The 3rd damper (next to the furnace) seems to control only the vents in the second floor bedrooms.

Is this possible? I thought that it was typically one damper for all vents on a floor when there's multiple dampers. The other thing is that the dampers are able to be turned 180 degrees, not the 90 degrees that I see in all videos and online instructions. It seems like both vertical positions are the closed positions and the horizontal position is open, as expected. Basically, it's pretty cool on the first floor, kind of warm on the second, and too warm on the third. I'm trying to cut off cooling on the first and shove it all into the second and third floors.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am really getting old.

When I built my bench in 1997, I just went to Hechingers & bought a sheet of pegboard. All they had was 1/4" They make something thinner, now? How the gently caress is that supposed to work?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I actually also do have peg board in the shed for landscaping tools. Holds shovels especially well. I must have good hangers as they stay in place pretty well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about a big steel plate and magnet hooks and magnet baskets.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

My drawers are a white hot mess.
I'd suggest adding more fiber to your diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cheers maintenance. Absolute bangup fuckin job mates. Love it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=R8Z2tedtZF0