Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

I know this seems really obvious, and it is to most people, but I guess not to syntaxfunction. Unlocking poo poo in games can be fun if the game is designed to be fun, but it's never designed to be fun when microtransactions are involved.

I made a second post saying that so yeah. I dunno how many people didn't read but again, lamenting how much things changed with microtransactions and DLC, namaste.

I refuse to buy microtransactions and if a game is pay or excessive grind it means I don't play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

QuarkJets posted:

I really did, the late game was just really disappointing - disappointing enough that I wouldn't buy the sequel if it had the same problem

I mean they added stuff at the end for people who want to grind. It sounds like that wasn't you. Didn't the game do right by you after all?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't know what part this post is worse, thinking I'd want a SF2 skin (I want baggy pants!) or that you think the garbage mode isn't garbage because it's silly. Like they took the cool idea of mix and match fighters, and decided to shove in bad RPG mechanics and hope people will be fooled into thinking silly = fun. It's garbage. Like that's the issue the silliness is good, the mix and match fighting stuff is good, the open world, tedious cutscenes, rpg trash is bad. So overall it's bad.

Edit: A little? I'm not sure how long it'd take but I am pretty sure it'd be measured in hours. It's not super important it's a "I kind of want that" and why the gently caress shouldn't I have it? I should have it. It should just be a thing in the game but instead it isn't because they know people will pay.

I think I'm okay with rewards for accomplishments. Less so rewards for just playing a game. Absolutely not fine with rewards requiring me to play a different game so that I can play the game I want to play with them.

I found World Tour genuinely enjoyable. Not as good as SF6 proper, obviously, but a decent enough time, especially for onboarding new or lapsed players. But I'll grant you that there's almost no reason the alternative costumes couldn't just be selectable, I can't really defend it.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I took a week off between jobs and I decided to try out a bunch of games that I even passively thought of

I beat XCOM 2 vanilla and then XCOM 2 WOTC, both with heaps of mods and that was fun

So then I decided to try gears tactics because I was coming off of XCOM's style and it's fine, BUT it led me to trying Gears of War 5 and so far it's actually kind of fun! I haven't played anything else in the series except years ago when a roommate had an Xbox and we co op played gow 1 and 2.

Pretty fun if you're in the mood but the characters in GOW 5 actually have decent writing which I was very surprised to see, because what I remember is giant hyper masculine shootymans in the first few games

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Also the prior discussion about add ons and dlc and GaaS went overboard, it's just for game devs + companies to keep people paying and playing as long as possible.

More $$$ = better because games are not only not immune to the omnipresent pressure of capitalism but in fact are a great grease to keep the wheels turning and that's about as complex as that situation gets

Edit but it worked on me for Hades, I got it from gamepass and ended up buying it and played for a billion hours and I'm not even a huge rougelike player. Same with mk11, got it from gamepass but ended up buying the dlc because yeah maybe I do want to play as robocop

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 11, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

itry posted:

Can't you just cheat-engine all of that stuff?

Well there are mods, one of which lets me play nude Zangief. I shouldn't have to mod a game for something that should just be in the game. Oh and they are so generous give one alt color the rest cost money.

Disco Pope posted:

I found World Tour genuinely enjoyable. Not as good as SF6 proper, obviously, but a decent enough time, especially for onboarding new or lapsed players. But I'll grant you that there's almost no reason the alternative costumes couldn't just be selectable, I can't really defend it.

A lot of people enjoy the bad genre that is open world RPG so that isn't surprising. As a practically new player, no it was poo poo for onboarding me. Turns out when you waste your time "teaching" me dumb bullshit that has nothing to do with actual fighting mechanics I'm going to go elsewhere. Well I already went elsewhere because it was obviously not the place to learn the game.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 11, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

Well there are mods that let me play nude Zangief I shouldn't have to mod a game for something that should just be in the game. Oh and they are so generous give one alt color the rest cost money.

No, you shouldn't have to. But if you can/want to give yourself free in-game currency (zenny's?), then why not go ahead? I stay away from these kind of games (because they're bad), so I don't actually know if you can or not.

Edit: Unless zenny cosmetics only work in world mode, in which case... ugh. Just look at this mess of currencies https://gamerant.com/sf6-street-fighter-6-currency-explained-fighter-coin-drive-ticket-zenny-kudos-guide/

itry fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

George posted:

I mean they added stuff at the end for people who want to grind. It sounds like that wasn't you. Didn't the game do right by you after all?

I'm talking about the final dungeon of the vanilla game, The Darkest Dungeon, in the game at release. I don't know anything about the DLCs, you mean to say that they added even more grinding to the already miserable endgame experience? lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Well there are mods, one of which lets me play nude Zangief I shouldn't have to mod a game for

Why would I want to mod a video game for something that I see in the mirror every morning

Be like me, buy a nude zangief pinup for your wall

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I downloaded a mod for FF7r to make Cloud Nude, had a boner and no boner option but you had to commit to one or the other. Watching Cloud deftly dodge slamming bone into ladders when he climbed up and down ladders was hilarious the first few times, but after a while you have to wonder why this wasn't the game by default. It really goes a long way making Cloud like an ancient Greek hero in a myth, a modern day Heracles

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I downloaded a mod for FF7r to make Cloud Nude, had a boner and no boner option but you had to commit to one or the other. Watching Cloud deftly dodge slamming bone into ladders when he climbed up and down ladders was hilarious the first few times, but after a while you have to wonder why this wasn't the game by default. It really goes a long way making Cloud like an ancient Greek hero in a myth, a modern day Heracles

:chloe:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

yeah fr

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Heracles nuts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I liked Darkest Dungeon a lot up until the "end game" when it became super fuckin grindy for no reason, usually I like to finish games but as soon as it was like "you have to finish the final dungeon multiple times and any character that enters the final dungeon can never enter it again" I noped out right then and there. I'm guessing Darkest Dungeon 2 is probably like that too but can anyone confirm or deny? The original game was oozing with atmosphere and was pretty fun but I kind of don't want to bother if it's just going to turn into another grindfest

I haven't played it yet but I've heard Darkest Dungeon 2 is a very different kind of game, so it might not have the same kind of issues. (Instead it sounds like it has some other ones.) DD2 is more of a roguelite where a full run takes like 2-3 hours rather than the long-term build-up of DD1, and then there's meta-progression for future runs.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I know a big part of the story is Team Fortress 2. Prior to that, achievements were very much an XBox thing, and something that I couldn't see the allure of.

TF2 had all sorts of fun achievements, for doing almost like mini games. They were all very wittily named, too. The amount of attention to detail made them feel like a mini expansion. They also unlocked new weapons. (at first, just for the medic, they were doing them class by class). Importantly the new stuff was just side grades, if you didn't manage to pull off three of the whacky scenarios, you didn't get them, but no biggie, they were only 'different' not better.

Pretty much the only response valve got was "let us pay for them instead". They'd been pretty adamant they didn't want to sell them, but people just hated the idea that there was stuff gated to them so much, that they prefferred to just pay for it, and valve relented.

This sounds so typical now, but at the time, it was bizarre. Valve kind of tried to go a bit of another direction. Since they had a store now, they let anyone submit custom skins / maps etc, and gave them a cut if people bought them. I have a friend who basically retired at 23 off of a few hats he did for this. But that aspect of it clearly didn't catch on in quite the same way.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

!Klams posted:

I know a big part of the story is Team Fortress 2. Prior to that, achievements were very much an XBox thing, and something that I couldn't see the allure of.

TF2 had all sorts of fun achievements, for doing almost like mini games. They were all very wittily named, too. The amount of attention to detail made them feel like a mini expansion. They also unlocked new weapons. (at first, just for the medic, they were doing them class by class). Importantly the new stuff was just side grades, if you didn't manage to pull off three of the whacky scenarios, you didn't get them, but no biggie, they were only 'different' not better.

Pretty much the only response valve got was "let us pay for them instead". They'd been pretty adamant they didn't want to sell them, but people just hated the idea that there was stuff gated to them so much, that they prefferred to just pay for it, and valve relented.

This sounds so typical now, but at the time, it was bizarre. Valve kind of tried to go a bit of another direction. Since they had a store now, they let anyone submit custom skins / maps etc, and gave them a cut if people bought them. I have a friend who basically retired at 23 off of a few hats he did for this. But that aspect of it clearly didn't catch on in quite the same way.

Uh they also got the response of people using unlockers and specially made maps to farm the achievements. So yeah turns out many people thought it was poo poo. Turns out when you add unlockables to a mutiplayer FPS that's fun people don't actually want to "earn" them. Those achievements weren't' challenges they were "play the game a lot" or maybe "play the game in a manner you don't really want to". They did matter, these were often times side grades but not always and even if they were the items enabled a new ways to play.

I had already played a bunch before that and them telling me "play more and you'll get stuff" is manipulative. I try to play games because I'm having fun not because I'm trying to unlock future fun.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Uh they also got the response of people using unlockers and specially made maps to farm the achievements. So yeah turns out many people thought it was poo poo. Turns out when you add unlockables to a mutiplayer FPS that's fun people don't actually want to "earn" them. Those achievements weren't' challenges they were "play the game a lot" or maybe "play the game in a manner you don't really want to". They did matter, these were often times side grades but not always and even if they were the items enabled a new ways to play.

I had already played a bunch before that and them telling me "play more and you'll get stuff" is manipulative. I try to play games because I'm having fun not because I'm trying to unlock future fun.

lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION IN C APITALISM LOLOLOLOLOL!OL!O!>11l1o1l1ol11lo1l1oll . JUST A GAME LOLOLOOLLLAAAAWWWL.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 12, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Duck and Cover posted:

NO ETHICAL CONSUMPTION IN C APITALISM LOLOLOLOLOL!OL!O!>11l1o1l1ol11lo1l1oll . JUST A GAME LOLOLOOLLLAAAAWWWL.

I like how this is the result after edit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vic posted:

I like how this is the result after edit.

Had to add the just game line. I assure you the first draft was hostile I don't think I posted that one though.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Did it really take that long to earn the alternative weapons in TF2? I know some of the cosmetic items could be super rare but it seemed like everyone had their hands on the new weapons shortly after they added them. I stopped playing right around that time though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that's the normal thing to do with a game. you play it for a bit, you see what it has to offer, then you uninstall. if you play TF2 these days it should be because you just got it recently and wanted to try it out.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Duck and Cover posted:

R u okay?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Devils Affricate posted:

Did it really take that long to earn the alternative weapons in TF2? I know some of the cosmetic items could be super rare but it seemed like everyone had their hands on the new weapons shortly after they added them. I stopped playing right around that time though.

That's because we loaded onto servers with a custom map designed explicitly to let us get the achievements with minimal effort. They were freaking everywhere because weapons unlocked by individual players in fps multiplayer modes was dumb then, is dumb now, and will always be dumb.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

R u okay?

I'd be more okay if you weren't questioning how okay I am. I AM 100% OKAY EVERYTHING IS 100% GOOD AND YOU ARE THE WEIRD ONE FOR THINKING OTHERWISE.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Very well then. :dogstare:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
TF2 is evergreen. as long as you protect your medic, queue casual, and do the warrior's nod known as the taunt for every dom or revenge killcam regardless of context, who cares? it's as good as it ever was, maybe better even

video game opinon: speaking as a dude with something like bachelor's degree of medic hours where I used to be a real sweaty tryhard, gently caress it, i'm matching time between being a team player and ubering the sniper to see if we can do it, and gently caress it, it's some of the best fun i've ever had. the modern TF2 payload match is a perfect mix of real team playing and memeing, and i would have it no other way

e: another unpopular TF2 opinion: it's really funny when people complain about getting owned by someone with a pocket medic. that's my pocket soldier because he mastered the art of blasting when needed and spamming voice commands at perfect moments. i slam my heals, ubers, and crits at everyone who needs it, but i'm not playing to not win, winning the match is part of the fun

some dweeb complaining on voice chat "med u suck why no heal me" when i'm on zero deaths and 20 ubers and our team rolled the other in 4 minutes is also part of the fun of tf2

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 12, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

TF2 is evergreen. as long as you protect your medic, queue casual, and do the warrior's nod known as the taunt for every dom or revenge killcam regardless of context, who cares? it's as good as it ever was, maybe better even

video game opinon: speaking as a dude with something like bachelor's degree of medic hours where I used to be a real sweaty tryhard, gently caress it, i'm matching time between being a team player and ubering the sniper to see if we can do it, and gently caress it, it's some of the best fun i've ever had. the modern TF2 payload match is a perfect mix of real team playing and memeing, and i would have it no other way

e: another unpopular TF2 opinion: it's really funny when people complain about getting owned by someone with a pocket medic. that's my pocket soldier because he mastered the art of blasting when needed and spamming voice commands at perfect moments. i slam my heals, ubers, and crits at everyone who needs it, but i'm not playing to not win, winning the match is part of the fun

some dweeb complaining on voice chat "med u suck why no heal me" when i'm on zero deaths and 20 ubers and our team rolled the other in 4 minutes is also part of the fun of tf2

no, the real fun of tf2 is joining an attack/defend game and realizing that your team, as attacker, has 4 snipers and 3 spies out of 10 players

George
Nov 27, 2004

That's what Overwatch hosed up: I don't want to esprots, I want to gently caress around in a chosen corner of my favorite map playing an edge case build.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh dear you seem to think a medic players opinion is worth something. Games would be so much better without medics.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've never had fun playing multiplayer FPS games for the same reason I've never had fun playing fighting games, skill disparity swings things so much that one side always effortlessly wins while the other side barely gets to play. Neither side of that is entertaining to be on and I'm not going to put 10k+ hours into these things to find the ~100 other players in the world who are at the exact same skill level as me.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh dear you seem to think a medic players opinion is worth something. Games would be so much better without medics.

Those of us with bad aim need to feel helpful :radcat:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I haven't read this thread in like six years.

All JRPGs are trash.

There is no "RPG" part of them - they are literally pressing A during an extended cut scene.

I can forgive a game a linear story if it's good one but they are all terrible carbon copy bullshit. In this JRPG you play a white, male orphan who is also the chosen one. You meet a rag-tag group of friends along the way, and at least two of the female characters will be thousand-year-old demons in eight-year-old bodies and every one of them will want to sex you. But you will be kawaii oblivious to them throwing themselves at you because you're just so gosh-darn pure.

I can forgive a lovely story if the gameplay is engaging but they are all the same turn-based poo poo. The biggest decision you make in most of them is whether to cast fire 1 or fire 2. Sometimes, they'll try desperately to claw their way into the 21st century with a kind of blended real-time meter that fills up before reverting back to turn-based, but it's not fooling anybody. You will have no way to impact your character stats or abilities.

I can forgive a lovely story and bland gameplay if the game world lets me make decisions or at least have an open world. But none of them do that - you can't even decide to make Whitey McChosenBoy use a bow instead of the requisite sword. Most of these games are just cutscenes interspersed with pressing A a few times - literally, watch this, then walk ten feet and talk to another NPC for another cut scene. It's like they know it's boring and they need to make sure the player is still awake. Just lean into it - it's all linear anyway - and make a single 20-minute cut scene so I can skip this poo poo all at once instead of having to walk from NPC A to NPC B seventeen times.

I've been recommended probably hundreds of these things over the years and I continue to hate them. "Oh, but you haven't played THIS one!" And I'm the dumdum who gives in once a year and says "...okay, I'll try Persona 5 / Final Fantasy X / Trails of Whatever / etc" and I get the thing on sale and, yep, Whitey McChosenBoy and I just don't get along.

What I mean to say here is I'm pretty stupid.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've never had fun playing multiplayer FPS games for the same reason I've never had fun playing fighting games, skill disparity swings things so much that one side always effortlessly wins while the other side barely gets to play. Neither side of that is entertaining to be on and I'm not going to put 10k+ hours into these things to find the ~100 other players in the world who are at the exact same skill level as me.

I mean... you'll get owned in checkers by a pro too it doesn't matter what game it is.

Matchmaking is a common feature in these kinda games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FPS were actually a whole lot more fun before matchmaking because the problem of one team steamrolling another was less pronounced when teams were literally random instead of poorly matchmade, and you'd just use autobalance or team randomizers every round and people weren't so serious about it all, and if the matchup was bad you could just quit and go to a different server without a leaver penalty.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Thursday Next posted:

I haven't read this thread in like six years.

All JRPGs are trash.

There is no "RPG" part of them - they are literally pressing A during an extended cut scene.

I can forgive a game a linear story if it's good one but they are all terrible carbon copy bullshit. In this JRPG you play a white, male orphan who is also the chosen one. You meet a rag-tag group of friends along the way, and at least two of the female characters will be thousand-year-old demons in eight-year-old bodies and every one of them will want to sex you. But you will be kawaii oblivious to them throwing themselves at you because you're just so gosh-darn pure.

I can forgive a lovely story if the gameplay is engaging but they are all the same turn-based poo poo. The biggest decision you make in most of them is whether to cast fire 1 or fire 2. Sometimes, they'll try desperately to claw their way into the 21st century with a kind of blended real-time meter that fills up before reverting back to turn-based, but it's not fooling anybody. You will have no way to impact your character stats or abilities.

I can forgive a lovely story and bland gameplay if the game world lets me make decisions or at least have an open world. But none of them do that - you can't even decide to make Whitey McChosenBoy use a bow instead of the requisite sword. Most of these games are just cutscenes interspersed with pressing A a few times - literally, watch this, then walk ten feet and talk to another NPC for another cut scene. It's like they know it's boring and they need to make sure the player is still awake. Just lean into it - it's all linear anyway - and make a single 20-minute cut scene so I can skip this poo poo all at once instead of having to walk from NPC A to NPC B seventeen times.

I've been recommended probably hundreds of these things over the years and I continue to hate them. "Oh, but you haven't played THIS one!" And I'm the dumdum who gives in once a year and says "...okay, I'll try Persona 5 / Final Fantasy X / Trails of Whatever / etc" and I get the thing on sale and, yep, Whitey McChosenBoy and I just don't get along.

What I mean to say here is I'm pretty stupid.

Eh, I thought Elden Ring was fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know about the 1000-year-old in the 8-year-old's body part but JRPGs usually feature a cast of characters who are too smart to want to gently caress the white male protagonist who's too stupid and hosed up to notice either way. Or they're already basically married.

I play final fantasies, the best JRPGs, pretty much exclusively. I think I played Star Ocean 2 a long time ago

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

neato burrito posted:

Those of us with bad aim need to feel helpful :radcat:

Yeah but they make them overpowered, and there aren't enough people willing to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Healers in shooters doesn't make any sense anyways. The only good healer was/is Lucio from Overwatch