Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

i unironically love how in the extended fiction the xeno is just a constant rake gag for The Company.

"okay the last eight times we tried to monetize the monsters as a bioweapon it ate everybody and destroyed the research compound. but me, i got the vision to make this happen. i have my mba and a weird looking future tie"

Not related to Aliens, but years ago I read famed recording engineer Steve Albini's article "The Problem With Music" that he wrote in the mid-1990s, and at one point he discusses record company A&R types (the people who seek out new artists to sign to record labels) and how the labels would usually hire guys who are around the same age as the artists they're trying to sign. He points out that they're often just as delusional as the bands they're approaching, and that they expect to be running things in a few years. Whenever I watch a movie (like Aliens) where there's some corporate idiot who keeps on repeating easily-avoidable mistakes in the hopes of advancing their career (like trying to capture live xenomorph specimens), I always think of that part of the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

These are fabulous but....where's Jonesy?

He’s not a model in the game, but he can scare the poo poo out of whoever encounters him bad enough to do morale damage :laffo:

He’s on the backside of certain encounter tokens, and one of the potential final missions is rescuing him :3:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Prey got an Emmy nomination for Best Television Movie.

Gang, we officially have a horse in this race.

e: also nominations for:

Best Direction For a Limited Series
Writing for a Limited Series or Movie

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 12, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Prey was not good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toxic Mental posted:

Prey was not good

Hard disagree.

At the very minimum, Prey clears the (IMO rather low) bar of being the second-best film in the franchise.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Prey was not good

Prey was too good to be a made-for-TV movie, but as a theatrical release probably wouldn’t have done so hot. As it stands, I loved it for how brutal it portrayed the Predator.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hard disagree.

At the very minimum, Prey clears the (IMO rather low) bar of being the second-best film in the franchise.

Predator
Predator 2
Predators (barely)
Then who cares

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why is Prey being bandied about in this thread about Aliens?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toxic Mental posted:

Predator
Predator 2
Predators (barely)
Then who cares

Predator
Prey
Predator 2
Predators

I will allow for a "gentleman can disagree" on places 2 through 4.

Then, yeah... who cares.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Why is Prey being bandied about in this thread about Aliens?

They're related. They even made two... well, maybe 1.5 movies with the Alien and the Predator! I could only see half of AvP2 because it was so dark.

Also acceptable chat:
Terminator
Starship Troopers
Robocop

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Outland

Blade Runner 2049

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cessna posted:

Outland

Blade Runner 2049

Outlander, with the crazy Jesus man.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cessna posted:

Outland

Blade Runner 2049

I don't know what the first one is and I haven't seen any Bladerunner yet. :(

But for real, I believe Terminator and Robocop have fought Aliens in the comics so it's actually canon.

Starship Troopers (the movie) is just great.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Batman and Superman have fought the Aliens and Predators. So we can talk about the DC universe here too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Batman with 12 hours to prepare before they come at night.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
don't forget Judge Dredd, which treats every crossover as canon

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How can you not like Prey?!?! I might even put it above the original film in my personal rankings (probably not though). I think it would have gone well in theatres; if only for the big callback line ("if it bleeds, we can kill it."), which 100% would send the audience into a cheering frenzy. It's just so perfectly deployed.

And yeah, the sheer brutality of the predator was spectacular.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 12, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bro

No

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't know what the first one is

It's a Western set at a mining colony, Sean Connery plays the sheriff. Both aesthetically and thematically it's a perfect fit with Alien.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mllaneza posted:

It's a Western set at a mining colony, Sean Connery plays the sheriff. Both aesthetically and thematically it's a perfect fit with Alien.

Wow, those screenshots are super Alienesque.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Speaker posted:

I think it would have gone well in theatres; if only for the big callback line ("if it bleeds, we can kill it."), which 100% would send the audience into a cheering frenzy. It's just so perfectly deployed.

Callbacks, references, and wink wink nudge nudge bullshit is the loving death of cinema.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nah, you're crazy. It can absolutely be done tastefully, and it absolutely was.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Outland is really, really good and it’s a fantastic slow burn if you know nothing about it going into the film

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Prey was not good

Hey everyone, get a load of this guy and how wrong he is.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Callbacks, references, and wink wink nudge nudge bullshit is the loving death of cinema.

See: the terminator slowly turning its head back after getting punched in Salvation. The Kyle Reese line was OK, I guess. Same with Prey. It wasn't super hamfisted, but still takes you out of the action for a second.

Same with the Predators score which felt like it was lifted cue for cue from the first movie. Be original!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mad Hamish posted:

Beaten, but Jonesy is an "encounter tile" in the game. There are two of them. We customized one and made it into a face hugger that works well as a house rule. The character has to immediately take one damage and go to Med Bay until another player gets there with a heal. Would recommend for people who want some added flavor and an added challenge.

game is real good

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I catch a sweet wave of traffic on a busy highway I will indeed sometimes say, "I'm in the pipe, 5 by 5".

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is Alien better than The Thing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Is Alien better than The Thing?

Yes, but it's close.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah, The Thing discussion is allowed too since it's fantastic.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Also, the Thing is in Aliens, Alien 3, and both original Predator movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Where is the Thing in Aliens?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah you're gonna have to explain these ones.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redshirt posted:

Where is the Thing in Aliens?

In plain sight. :tinfoil:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

In plain sight. :tinfoil:

BIshop!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

The Alien RPG has some cute easter-egg references to Outland.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pGioO2Aep8

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Outland is really, really good and it’s a fantastic slow burn if you know nothing about it going into the film

I think I read the Alan Dean Foster novelization in junior high or high school, but I never actually got around to watching the film itself. Until this evening. :c00lbert:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
prey is ok

i think the thing that annoyed me most was that the girl just walked around with her hair in her eyes the whole time

tie your hair back jeez louise, especially if you're gonna go jumping in swamps or fighting predators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
also go full apocalypto and do the whole movie in comanche cowards