Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Has anything ever been review bombed for a good reason, I get the impression that whole angry mob throwing petulant spiteful fit is more of a conservative gamer gator type thing, but I'm also not tracking review bombs, just hear about the dumbest ones. There are definitely shithead criminal pest devs out there people rightfully hate, but I feel like the reaction to that is to avoid their games and inform others about who they would support by buying the game whenever it comes up in discussions.

heartbeat had a pretty serious dip but I think it was balanced out by the usual suspects cheering it on instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Am I misremembering or wasn't there some kinda labor dustup involving the Skullgirls publisher/devteam or something?

Like a few years ago?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

so either something just changed without my input on my steam account or they just altered something with user reviews, because the Skullgirls review bombing thing from a couple weeks back changed pretty dramatically:

there were like 25,000 negative reviews almost entirely from people who had never played the game ever since the recent patch, and now they're not showing up.

Honestly seems like the easiest way to handle it.

Stops the Streisand Effect, clickbait sites get their performative outrage pound of flesh, lets the toddlers have their tanty, and poo poo goes back to normal after a week.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Valve has been quietly doing that for years now. Sometimes the review bombing is justified (e.g. a recent patch makes the game completely unplayable) but most of the time it's for dumb poo poo like this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn't there some kinda labor dustup involving the Skullgirls publisher/devteam or something?

Like a few years ago?

Some relevant Kotaku headlines, from the second half of 2020, chronicling roughly in order the saga of one Mike Zaimont:

"Multiple People Accuse Skullgirls Developer Of Making Inappropriate Sexual Comments"

"Workers Leave Skullgirls Developer Over Studio Head’s Behavior"

"Skullgirls Development Will Continue Without Embattled Lead Designer"

"Skullgirls Developer Lays Off Everyone Who Hadn't Already Quit"

"Former Skullgirls Developers Establish New Co-Op Game Studio"

From skimming these, it looks like the publisher, Autumn Games, who actually owns the Skullgirls franchise, cut ties with the original studio, which was controlled by the guy these articles were about, and formed a new team to work on the game out of the people who had left it as a result of this.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like a few years ago?

Studio head got outed as a creep iirc and fired everyone rather than leave, but he’s also no longer involved. The game’s being maintained by a totally different team now, who I think originally just did the console port.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

Has anything ever been review bombed for a good reason, I get the impression that whole angry mob throwing petulant spiteful fit is more of a conservative gamer gator type thing, but I'm also not tracking review bombs, just hear about the dumbest ones. There are definitely shithead criminal pest devs out there people rightfully hate, but I feel like the reaction to that is to avoid their games and inform others about who they would support by buying the game whenever it comes up in discussions.
you might be on to something, here's someone who wrote up a like 3 page review linking multiple other things he typed up about the skullgirls censorship

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

haveblue posted:

"Multiple People Accuse Skullgirls Developer Of Making Inappropriate Sexual Comments"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

you might be on to something, here's someone who wrote up a like 3 page review linking multiple other things he typed up about the skullgirls censorship

Ah yes, the sound of the city, a stranger you accidentally made eye contact with following you for five blocks alternately mumbling & shouting what appeared to be an ongoing lecture series about their radical theories of everything

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad Valve cleaned up that dumb drama. Steam users will die on the most stupid of hills, in this case it was supporting being able to see panties worn by child characters, and keeping the nazi/fascist images in the game.

The less said about my review crusade against Ticket to Ride, the better. I am not proud of the lows I sunk to back then.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

lol imagine writing a steam review

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

lol imagine writing a steam review

Imagine not, shirking your civic duty. I bet you never paid for Winrar, keep roms after 24 hours and don't like and subscribe either

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

They removed the Russian Announcer because it was voiced by Mike Z, ex-developer ousted for being a sex pest

"anti-censorship" crowd pick a good hill to die on challenge

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Imagine not, shirking your civic duty. I bet you never paid for Winrar, keep roms after 24 hours and don't like and subscribe either

By cutting and pasting your roms to a different drive every morning you can keep them forever

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MMF Freeway posted:

This is an intentional obfuscation. People don't like to be in "bronze" but being a "crusader" is fine

typically games solve this by naming the stupid sub-50th-percentile rank for idiots "silver" or "gold" and then making up a bunch of horseshit names like emerald or diamond or apex predator for the actual high ones
it should be illegal to have gold in your ranking system and not make it the highest rank

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

All of this is true. :smug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ramie posted:

They removed the Russian Announcer because it was voiced by Mike Z, ex-developer ousted for being a sex pest

"anti-censorship" crowd pick a good hill to die on challenge
they didn't oust him, he refused to leave and blew up his own studio, everyone left and were hired by the people who own the skullgirls license, essentially reforming the old studio into a new one.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

i use 7zip op

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i never like or subscribe either. i give as little as possible to the algorithm

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if any video tells you to like and subscribe, turn it off

and mail a glitter bomb to the creator

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Kerrzhe posted:

i never like or subscribe either. i give as little as possible to the algorithm

Gotta stay unpredictable in case of the AI uprising.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

they didn't oust him, he refused to leave and blew up his own studio, everyone left and were hired by the people who own the skullgirls license, essentially reforming the old studio into a new one.

the rare "you can't fire me, you quit"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every time I hear something else new about Skullgirls it's always something pervy or fashy lol

haveblue posted:

Was that ever a thing? I recall MS being pretty stringent about not having achievements that highlighted failure or produced negative emotions. Maybe other platforms like Steam are free-er about that, or they loosened up over the years

The only ones I can think of are a few games that acknowledge you having died a bunch, and Portal 2 with a couple for stepping into extremely obvious deathtraps that are more funny than mean

There were never any worth negative points, but there were 0 point ones early on that weren't meant to be rewards

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 12, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1679227783149486082?t=ozm7AWkhSGbcw8JDkoJDdQ&s=19

Tomba!!!

E: GEX!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1679228260201410560?t=qJ64tKXSAFgPz8z1KfKFdQ&s=19

E2: Clocked Tower?!
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1679227897913942016?t=w1mmlVjjC6poYLnEOWvGbA&s=19

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 12, 2023

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Tomba owns hard so I'm excited for that. I should play the 2nd one someday.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What the gently caress is a Tomba

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oh my loving god

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1679223621468712963?t=zuAeP0GaGHma--Fngd090w&s=19

Wtf is Limited Run doing today lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBy4j1eOZXY

PAL Tombi op was better

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-QqqZv7Vs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My favourite IPs from 20+ years ago...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gex revival was supposed to stay a joke... no... put it back...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Gex revival was supposed to stay a joke... no... put it back...

Ş̶̦̻̣̟͋H̴̨͈͇̠͖͉̙̤͓̭̦̜̉̂̄̉̀͂͐͘͜͝͝A̶͙̳̝̩̫̘̠̹̪̤͓̱̻͋͊͜K̸̝͈̙̤͖͖̩͉̊͌͒̊̒̏̄̇̐̆̕Á̵̡͕̣̪͍͇̰̎͌́͂̊ ̸̡̡͇̳̘̪̙̙̞̰̼̄́͊̒̽͊̆͠B̵̥̳͚͙͈̾̿R̷̨̧̼͕͕̥͙̲͇̹̯̋̿͑̽̈́̾͂̎̕̕͘̚͜Ȁ̵̩̣̦͎̦Ḩ̴̤̰͈̘̣͜͠

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's tail time

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Draga posted:

Tomba owns hard so I'm excited for that. I should play the 2nd one someday.

It’s honestly nowhere near as good as the first one, but still a fun little game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
TOMBA IS BACK AND IM GONNA GO PUNCH A PIG AND THROW BIPOLAR FLOWERS

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Alright now give me Ristar

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Easy Mode actively mocking you for selecting it is acceptable as long as Hard Mode is equally as mocking, like calling it "Who Are You Trying To Impress Mode" or something

this is the only acceptable use of easy mode mockery and I cannot think of a single game that does it

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Not even a big Shantae fan but this is so cool. Wild they're even making a GBA cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1679224347846688768

A WAND OF GAMELON-LIKE?!