Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In 4 playthroughs, I only did the "help me stepson, I'm stuck in this hole in Liurnia, please grease me" part once. I don't know the order or trigger bit it's usually festival then lava bath for me always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
After the festival and Radahn, I think entering Volcano Manor will trigger his move to the lava from his Liurnia location. Many players by that point will have already explored Liurnia and gotten captured by the Raya Lucaria basement abductor virgin and transported to the Manor

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

After the festival and Radahn, I think entering Volcano Manor will trigger his move to the lava from his Liurnia location. Many players by that point will have already explored Liurnia and gotten captured by the Raya Lucaria basement abductor virgin and transported to the Manor
Just to add further clarity, I freed Alexander from Limgrave -> rushed Altus thru Liurnia -> took Rya’s hand to get to Volcano Manor -> ganked Radagon. Alex was stuck in Liurnia at that point.

In my imagination great jars just naturally spin attack when they’re thinking hard abt something (he is the new Siegmeyer, after all) and that’s how Alexander ends up stuck. Also possible that he can actually teleport.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Guillermus posted:

In 4 playthroughs, I only did the "help me stepson, I'm stuck in this hole in Liurnia, please grease me" part once. I don't know the order or trigger bit it's usually festival then lava bath for me always.

It’s a hard one to encounter naturally since the festival doesn’t start until either killing Rennala or entering Altus, so most people will have already explored Liurnia before killing Radahn.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I'm trying to get into Chelona's Rise to get Ranni's Dark Moon but I'm encountering that bug where the three spirit tortoises or whatever don't spawn properly. The only one I could find was the big flying one above the spirit spring, which I killed.

A bunch of people discussing solutions to the bug online said that jumping using that spring several times in a row caused the seal to open, even when they only killed one or two out of the three, but that does nothing for me. I've tried re-reading the gargoyle prompt, resting at the site of grace, and visiting the other two sites where the remaining two spirit tortoises should be numerous times and nothing has happened.

Is there anything else I can try at this point?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Esme posted:

It’s a hard one to encounter naturally since the festival doesn’t start until either killing Rennala or entering Altus, so most people will have already explored Liurnia before killing Radahn.
I don’t think defeating Rennala is sufficient to open the festival. It’s 100% getting to Altus as far as I can tell.

And I should know — I go through that every couple of weeks on average

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
In order to skip Alexander's "stuck in Liurnia" step, just visit Mt Gelmir / Volcano Manor once before killing Radahn. Talk to potbro after the Radahn fight, and he moves straight to his spot in Gelmir gettin' baked in those flames.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t think defeating Rennala is sufficient to open the festival. It’s 100% getting to Altus as far as I can tell.

And I should know — I go through that every couple of weeks on average

you can trigger it by progessing Ranni's questline a few steps. Once Sellen mentions the motion of the stars holding Ranni's fate, then the festival begins

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Is there a known bug with Ranni’s quest or am I just missing something? I gave her the finger slayer blade and exhausted her dialogue, but she never gave me the inverted statue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Kingfish posted:

Is there a known bug with Ranni’s quest or am I just missing something? I gave her the finger slayer blade and exhausted her dialogue, but she never gave me the inverted statue.

Don't you have to do that really bullshit obscure bit by first finding her doll and then finding the hidden options first?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm trying to get into Chelona's Rise to get Ranni's Dark Moon but I'm encountering that bug where the three spirit tortoises or whatever don't spawn properly. The only one I could find was the big flying one above the spirit spring, which I killed.

A bunch of people discussing solutions to the bug online said that jumping using that spring several times in a row caused the seal to open, even when they only killed one or two out of the three, but that does nothing for me. I've tried re-reading the gargoyle prompt, resting at the site of grace, and visiting the other two sites where the remaining two spirit tortoises should be numerous times and nothing has happened.

Is there anything else I can try at this point?

It's supposed to force you to run around and do all three without touching a grace or fast traveling, so try that if you haven't. Other than that yeah it would have to be bugged and screwed up. I've had the one around all the regular turtles fail to spawn before back in like 1.03

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

The Kingfish posted:

Did you just go straight for the blade before joining her crew? That's the only must do before that point. Is Blaidd still standing around Rahdan's battlefield?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Cavauro posted:

It's supposed to force you to run around and do all three without touching a grace or fast traveling, so try that if you haven't. Other than that yeah it would have to be bugged and screwed up. I've had the one around all the regular turtles fail to spawn before back in like 1.03

I was running around to all three spots without touching a grace, but only the floating one appeared. Managed to solve it in the end by sheer repetition, though I don't understand what triggered the other two to appear in the end; thankfully, once one appeared, the other did too.

Now to defeat Malenia using Dark Moon!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Just learned about the Living Jars' hidden refuge of Jarburg.

Of course it's named that. :dadjoke:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kind of annoying you have to track down more figurative farms for other respawning resources (fire fields, that mushroom rock north of the Crystalian grotto in Liurnia, etc.) I guess the only pots you can churn out easily given a corresponding shroom farm are holy pots (you get plenty of poisonbloom but need toxic shrooms for poison pots). At least give us some root resin!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’m still waiting for someone to explain what the deal is with the Reforged mod

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I unapologetically cheese difficult foes whenever I can. I don’t seek it out, but if they get stuck behind a rock due to pathing and I can shoot arrows at it with impunity I loving will. :colbert:

In fact, I see it as an earned right and obligation for how this game can treat you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Kind of annoying you have to track down more figurative farms for other respawning resources (fire fields, that mushroom rock north of the Crystalian grotto in Liurnia, etc.) I guess the only pots you can churn out easily given a corresponding shroom farm are holy pots (you get plenty of poisonbloom but need toxic shrooms for poison pots). At least give us some root resin!

I had good luck just making note of whenever I found a bunch of a resource in one spot. For root resin there's a couple trees a few meters SE? of the Warmaster's shack with 3-6 resin around them and a grace right there. For damage pots there's a bunch of smoldering butterfly spots and once you get the volcano pot recipe it's a lot easier as there are a few graces right next to volanic rock repsawns. Blood church in liurnia for bloodroses, Night's Sacred Ground up to the church for tear husks, Trees for the various sunflowers, etc etc

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m still waiting for someone to explain what the deal is with the Reforged mod

In short, it's a gameplay overhaul mod that doesn't change much about the critical path of the game so if you want "Elden Ring but slightly different" then it's worth checking out. The most impactful changes are probably the deflect system, the affinities, and (if you're broke-brained like me) the collect-a-thon book.

Deflections are essentially perfect blocks. If you block any attack that can be blocked within a few frames of it landing, you will take no damage (other than status) no matter the stats of what you're blocking with. A "perfect" deflect with even tighter timing will also not consume any stamina (and I think prevents status buildup) and gives you a short buff to damage. It's essentially Sekiro. As a balancing measure, if you run out of stamina while blocking you take a chunk of damage, I think 10-15% of max hp.

There are more affinities for things like rot, sleep, deathblight, as well as ones that give hp regen or bonus backstab damage. They also open up more damage types that scale with specific stats, like a Dex magic affinity or Strength holy. To help with early game builds, you can get a couple of one-use items that open up any affinity.

The book lets you get information on enemies you've fought and killed. This lets you see their stats in game, gives a small bonus to runes when you kill them, and completing a certain amount of the book gives items that can be redeemed for any item in the game at a special "shop". There are other ways to get these items such as starting a NG+ (which you can do right at the start of the game if you want) but they're pretty rare.

There's a ton of other features like a difficulty select, a minor "class" system, the ability to respawn every boss in the game, and also it's in active development so stuff is being added and changed all the time. I think the next major feature is weapon catalysts.

I'd say in general it's a little harder than vanilla ER as the difficulty curve has been changed up quite a bit, especially in NG+. If you get good at the deflect system it is much, much easier though, and you can tweak a lot of difficulty options in an in-game menu to make it as difficult or easy as you like.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One of my life's goals is to do a playthrough with one of those deflect mods and perfect parry a waterdowl dance

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
There's a difficulty mode in Reforged that forces this by doing things like removing iframes from dodges so that the only reliable way to reduce incoming damage is to deflect. There's a series of videos on YouTube doing all of the bosses in this mode, and it does indeed look extremely satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xm6YlBguIk

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I had good luck just making note of whenever I found a bunch of a resource in one spot. For root resin there's a couple trees a few meters SE? of the Warmaster's shack with 3-6 resin around them and a grace right there. For damage pots there's a bunch of smoldering butterfly spots and once you get the volcano pot recipe it's a lot easier as there are a few graces right next to volanic rock repsawns. Blood church in liurnia for bloodroses, Night's Sacred Ground up to the church for tear husks, Trees for the various sunflowers, etc etc

The only really tedious farming is for toxic mushrooms (I think there are 2-3 near the plague church?) and stuff for the more exotic pot variants — I can’t remember if there are grave violets at Jarburg, but human bone shard drops are absurdly scarce tbh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

The only really tedious farming is for toxic mushrooms (I think there are 2-3 near the plague church?) and stuff for the more exotic pot variants — I can’t remember if there are grave violets at Jarburg, but human bone shard drops are absurdly scarce tbh

Yeah there's some stuff that's awful and there's no way around it, basically anybody who has ever tried making a perfumer build, or even just thought it'd be fun to make the ironjar aromatic part of their tank build, can confirm that.

Wish there were more bell bearings in this regard

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fenrisulfr posted:

In short, it's a gameplay overhaul mod that doesn't change much about the critical path of the game so if you want "Elden Ring but slightly different" then it's worth checking out. The most impactful changes are probably the deflect system, the affinities, and (if you're broke-brained like me) the collect-a-thon book.

Deflections are essentially perfect blocks. If you block any attack that can be blocked within a few frames of it landing, you will take no damage (other than status) no matter the stats of what you're blocking with. A "perfect" deflect with even tighter timing will also not consume any stamina (and I think prevents status buildup) and gives you a short buff to damage. It's essentially Sekiro. As a balancing measure, if you run out of stamina while blocking you take a chunk of damage, I think 10-15% of max hp.

There are more affinities for things like rot, sleep, deathblight, as well as ones that give hp regen or bonus backstab damage. They also open up more damage types that scale with specific stats, like a Dex magic affinity or Strength holy. To help with early game builds, you can get a couple of one-use items that open up any affinity.

The book lets you get information on enemies you've fought and killed. This lets you see their stats in game, gives a small bonus to runes when you kill them, and completing a certain amount of the book gives items that can be redeemed for any item in the game at a special "shop". There are other ways to get these items such as starting a NG+ (which you can do right at the start of the game if you want) but they're pretty rare.

There's a ton of other features like a difficulty select, a minor "class" system, the ability to respawn every boss in the game, and also it's in active development so stuff is being added and changed all the time. I think the next major feature is weapon catalysts.

I'd say in general it's a little harder than vanilla ER as the difficulty curve has been changed up quite a bit, especially in NG+. If you get good at the deflect system it is much, much easier though, and you can tweak a lot of difficulty options in an in-game menu to make it as difficult or easy as you like.
Hmmm but I like the vanilla tanking capacity. Is it just something new for the thinner shields? Or does it also change the way metal / 100% physical shields work?

I’m curious but also expect there are extra hoops to jump through in order to avoid a multi ban

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Arent there a ton of toxic mushrooms underground? The place im thinking of is the area around the grace where you talk to doll Ranni.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No Dignity posted:

One of my life's goals is to do a playthrough with one of those deflect mods and perfect parry a waterdowl dance

Would that be some combination of Genichiro and Isshin from Sekiro? The move looks like that to me except more tracking and range.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hmmm but I like the vanilla tanking capacity. Is it just something new for the thinner shields? Or does it also change the way metal / 100% physical shields work?

I’m curious but also expect there are extra hoops to jump through in order to avoid a multi ban

It applies to all blocking so it makes "holding the block button" flat-out worse, yeah. The program that runs the mod also disables online mode, so the only thing you have to remember is to not load up your ERR save except when running Elden Ring through the mod launcher thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Would that be some combination of Genichiro and Isshin from Sekiro? The move looks like that to me except more tracking and range.

Yeah it's basically a juice up Spiral Cloud Passage/One Mind combo with ridiculous tracking

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I've decided that no matter what build I run I will always have some random weapon upgraded with sacred blade in my inventory to gently caress up skellingtons.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I've decided that no matter what build I run I will always have some random weapon upgraded with sacred blade in my inventory to gently caress up skellingtons.

It's a pretty useful utility to have, even if it's just on a little dagger. For the same reason, I keep the ceastus around for punching rock doods.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dyz posted:

Arent there a ton of toxic mushrooms underground? The place im thinking of is the area around the grace where you talk to doll Ranni.
I’ve only run into melted mushrooms (the kind that make soap / oil pots) underground. Toxic mushrooms are above ground in Caelid / Dragonbarrow.

If you’re grinding the Bloodborne gnomes around the beast temple in the early game (prior to graduating to frogman / cliffbird farming in Mohg’s domain) you can run into a few of them.

I generally thread a circuit from that bridge and wipe out the gnomes starting with the two just north of the grace point, looping around the high plateau to the east (basically cutting through the astrolabe and doubling back), coming back up the northern slope to kill off all the gnomes east of the temple, then crossing to kill the gnomes to the west (barring the one just outside the temple door).

At the far west point of the second “shelf”, at the foot of the tree just south of where two gnomes hang out, is one (1) toxic mushroom. Then when you charge down the first shelf west of the path (about level with / just below the height of the bridge), where the somber stone 9 scarab hangs out, there are two (2) more at the foot of the escarpment on the west side, where one of the gnomes patrols.

If you do that circuit a lot to grind out your early levels (it takes two golden drumsticks and nets you ~30k runes, maybe one drumstick if you’ve got a gnarly enough AoE cast), then you’ll build a nice stock of toxic mushrooms to fuel poison pot sprees as you go… or you could rush to the plague church, where about the same number of shrooms grow in the graveyard. Afaik that’s the tightest concentration of them that’s simplest to farm.

And sure, pots are plenty powerful (it’s easy to forget how powerful they can be) and there for you to use; Elden Ring is all about allowing you to try out strats as you like. But let’s be real, if you’re going through that trouble, why not just get yrself to 12 FAI and cheese unsuspecting enemies with the silent-but-deadly gas spell?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One of the things that I find really interesting abt Elden Ring is that witch-assassins in the setting are suggested to be DEX-FAI, not the DEX-INT equivalent you normally get in fantasy, and this lends itself to ER’s particular iteration of FROMSoft’s (Miyazaki’s?) preoccupation with noble regalia and high Gothic / extremely trad-cath iconography as masking derangements and cruelty, which do not taint or tarnish the holy from without, but are always already immanent from within holiness itself.

That’s something I’ve always loved about FROM’s soulslikes, the thing that its imitators never seem to understand or recognize enough to bite. It’s sort of concomitant in my mind with that famous anecdote abt Miyazaki rejecting a dragon design because it did not look “mournful” enough. Even if ER is more overtly political / class-conscious (by degrees) than its antecedents in how it conceptualizes “blessings” and “curses”, FROM still draws upon mythic associations called up by the figure of a ruin.

There’s something about ER’s association of gold with sickness that feels very close to vintage pulp, like the exotic Edwardian adventure fiction that informed Indiana Jones. There’s a “Curse of the Egyptian Pharaohs” vibe, very intentional, to the ruins and regalia. Curses in those stories aren’t really about punishing greedy theft from any specific dead person, imo, they’re more about plunderers failing to understand that treasure has been locked away so that it can no longer be actively coveted, and thus no longer poison the hearts of the living through being coveted. The tomb is a place of spiritual / existential disease; The more spectacular and fascinating a thing is, the more poisonous it becomes, like the false grail in The Last Crusade. Or for that matter, the eggs in Alien. Like Yharnam’s Church of Blood Ministration, everything the Golden Order touches somehow feels indescribably wrong.

All of which is to say that the most straightforward assassin character, relying on stealth, confusion, and status effects, is a kind of brigand-priest, and has the stats of one.

If only Holy damage were actually worth a drat, going full RP as an acolyte of the Black Knives would be an interesting build. I don’t want to have to spec my melee to fire for a decent FAI contribution in damage! The actual Black Knife does holy damage!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

The destined death effect of the black knife is so ruinous that you don't even need that much faith. Just spam the weapon art.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Just learned about the Living Jars' hidden refuge of Jarburg.

Of course it's named that. :dadjoke:

Unfortunately their leader is not called a jarl.

Potentate is pretty good though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Every time I see them / kill jars I feel like I am slaughtering Kool-Aid Man.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Here is a thought: Is Radagon blind? Despite learning sorcery from the most prominent sorcerer of his era (his wife Rennala), there are no sorceries associated with him. In fact the only spell associated with him is Radagon's Rings of Light, a GOF incantation.

Except...there is one type of sorcery associated with a faction of blind men, thorn sorceries, and it's the one type of sorcery that scales with faith only, not int. So maybe his origin is as one of those thorn guys that hang around the fire monks

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't pick up on it myself but I read a post claiming that the scar/soreseals imply Marika and Radagon were both blind, and like none of their depictions shows their eyes when they very eaily could, it seems a credible theory

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I want Miyazaki to direct a sequal to E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He sure acts like he can see me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They say love is blind, which I suppose is always factually true if you're loving yourself.