Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Street parking is asking for the car to get beat on/stolen/etc. What’s garage parking go for in your area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Holy buckets what a deal (if you can manage the maintenance and have a place to work)

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Street parking is asking for the car to get beat on/stolen/etc. What’s garage parking go for in your area?

About $300 a space, somewhere in a 1/2 mile vicinity. I've done that before when I lived in a denser part of San Francisco.

I can perform some maintenance in a DIY garage about 50 miles away for about $180 a day, or possibly at a friend's garage 40 miles away. If I can't finish the work in 8 hours and need to store the car, the price goes up very quickly. It may turn out to be cheaper to get some major stuff done at a shop, if necessary. I was looking to get an NC Miata but that cost is 3x this Boxster, even considering these extras.

I like working on vehicles so this is temporary until I find a new place with a garage, but that might be a year from now. Those are all the reasons not to buy it, but I'm getting more ready to accept that. Thanks for the advice!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$5k boxster is impulse money. Worst case, you can part it out and still probably come out significantly ahead. Good score. Got pics?

I am a fan of the 96/86 gens, just because they really aren't *that bad* to work on, aren't totally computerized out the whazoo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

$5k boxster is impulse money. Worst case, you can part it out and still probably come out significantly ahead. Good score. Got pics?

I am a fan of the 96/86 gens, just because they really aren't *that bad* to work on, aren't totally computerized out the whazoo.

Someone without a shop to work in and street parking is going to part out a car? I've got a shop and _I_ don't have enough space to part out a car.

Looks like year 1 is a minimum of $8600 ($5k car + $300/mo garage) to keep this thing in a manner in which it won't be destroyed. If it's in any kind of reasonable shape that's not bad. But if it's a pit of deferred maintenance it could easily be another $15,000 of parts and labor to turn it into $14,000 car. You can consume a significant fraction of that budget on a replacement top alone.

And I mention the top because if it's garage kept now and hasn't had a new top in the last decade you can be nearly guaranteed that it will not survive living outside. Most only need one decent hard rain before the ECU that is conveniently located under the passenger's seat at the lowest point of the floor pan never works again.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

Motronic posted:

Looks like year 1 is a minimum of $8600 ($5k car + $300/mo garage) to keep this thing in a manner in which it won't be destroyed. If it's in any kind of reasonable shape that's not bad. But if it's a pit of deferred maintenance it could easily be another $15,000 of parts and labor to turn it into $14,000 car. You can consume a significant fraction of that budget on a replacement top alone.

The top should be fine and the person selling it works on Porsches as a hobbyist, I'm sure its been maintained pretty well except for normal wear on an older car. And the costs of a garage are definitely necessary if I buy a similar convertible. But the options are either take my chances with this Boxster or spend more to get less car in a Miata. I've owned one so I know what to expect, and would care less if a Miata got dinged since I could probably sell it to buy a nicer one when I move to a place with a garage. The Boxster has more potential to lost a lot of its $5k value, I think.

But this is why I haven't jumped on the opportunity yet, and I wanted to know if I was being an idiot for not taking the deal. Buying an equivalent Boxster from another seller would probably be double the price and I know the history with this one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

But this is why I haven't jumped on the opportunity yet, and I wanted to know if I was being an idiot for not taking the deal. Buying an equivalent Boxster from another seller would probably be double the price and I know the history with this one.

If the guy is keeping it in nice shape and you know that $5k is a steal. Providing you're willing to pay for garaging and know that it can easily cost your multiple thousands if something goes wrong, through no fault or omission of the current owner.

$5k is suspiciously low for a well sorted car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Sounds like a sweetheart deal.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

About $300 a space, somewhere in a 1/2 mile vicinity. I've done that before when I lived in a denser part of San Francisco.

I can perform some maintenance in a DIY garage about 50 miles away for about $180 a day, or possibly at a friend's garage 40 miles away. If I can't finish the work in 8 hours and need to store the car, the price goes up very quickly. It may turn out to be cheaper to get some major stuff done at a shop, if necessary. I was looking to get an NC Miata but that cost is 3x this Boxster, even considering these extras.

I like working on vehicles so this is temporary until I find a new place with a garage, but that might be a year from now. Those are all the reasons not to buy it, but I'm getting more ready to accept that. Thanks for the advice!

Lmao do not do this, that garage situation is legitimately untenable in every way, it honestly sounds like my worst nightmare.

Absolutely lease a base 718 and street park it and don't worry about it. If you can't swing that, wait until you have your own garage before you buy a 150k mile 986.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Motronic posted:

Someone without a shop to work in and street parking is going to part out a car? I've got a shop and _I_ don't have enough space to part out a car.

Hey buddy, do you expect me to actually ~read~ posts or something?

Yeah, parting out is not gonna happen without a place to store the hulk. But $5K is almost too hard to pass up, parking problem ignored.

If you have no place to put it/work on it (it WILL need maintenance, some of it is very time consuming), even free is a problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’d do a local garage at 300/space for now if you know you will be moving to a future place with a garage. 8600 for the car in good shape sounds very decent.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
honestly, at 5k I'd street park it and rip the piss out of it in the mean time. You could prob get a few k for it even if something goes wrong. So what's the real gamble? 2-3k?

Can you park it at your buddies house and rip it on the weekend?

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for all the feedback, my problems exist with any car I buy, and I can probably avoid a lot of maintenance with a newer, low-mileage Miata. But for a lot of reasons I'd rather have a Boxster. And what I'm hearing is that despite it all the consensus is that I should buy this Porsche.

no lube so what posted:

honestly, at 5k I'd street park it and rip the piss out of it in the mean time. You could prob get a few k for it even if something goes wrong. So what's the real gamble? 2-3k?

I was thinking of just street parking and ripping the piss out of it for this price, but factoring in damage from the street and possible vandalism it might be worth the garage spot.

I know I'm SOL working on it close to where I live and I need it to be running to get to a garage, or pay for storage and take a 3 hour round trip on public transportation. Otherwise I hope I can improvise

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why stop at paying $300 a month to garage your $5k car with 150k miles on it, there's probably upscale places you can pay $1200/mo or more!

Just buy the $5k/150k mile car, street park it, drive it. Buy a new roof in 10 years when this one rots or the Street Vandals cut into it to steal your 20 year old stock radio. I wouldn't overthink this $5k purchase too much, if you wash the car fairly regularly it'll probably be okay.

I've street parked my 69k mile NA Miata in Los Angeles for the last 5 years and so far it has yet to explode into flames or be carried off in the night but it's been fun to drive on the days I feel like topless motoring.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Don't Boxsters have hard tops available? OP can look into ebaying one of those.

e: lol $3k maybe not

e2: €500 if you can get to Darmstadt https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hardtop-fuer-porsche-boxster-typ-986-arktissilber-metallic/2483882910-223-4894

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 12, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why stop at paying $300 a month to garage your $5k car with 150k miles on it, there's probably upscale places you can pay $1200/mo or more!

Just buy the $5k/150k mile car, street park it, drive it. Buy a new roof in 10 years when this one rots or the Street Vandals cut into it to steal your 20 year old stock radio. I wouldn't overthink this $5k purchase too much, if you wash the car fairly regularly it'll probably be okay.

I've street parked my 69k mile NA Miata in Los Angeles for the last 5 years and so far it has yet to explode into flames or be carried off in the night but it's been fun to drive on the days I feel like topless motoring.

People aren’t likely to see a NA Miata and thing “rich rear end in a top hat, let me vandalize his car”

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People aren’t likely to see a NA Miata and thing “rich rear end in a top hat, let me vandalize his car”

Yes, it's exactly this.

I've had a friend of a friend make snide "must be nice to have that kind of money" type comments about my Cayenne as he pulls up in his 2020 4x4 Tundra. (which is worth easily over $40k I'm sure he paid close to 60 when new, and maybe the nearly two decade old Cayenne could fetch $10k)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A friend of mine lives a few blocks away from me, in a middle class but thoroughly decent area of town, and some turd swiped his VW logo off the front of his totally unremarkable Jetta wagon. Why? Assholes gotta rear end in a top hat I guess :iiam:

I imagine a street parked Porsche would have that emblem from the frunk pried off within 24-48 hours in all but the nicest or patrolled areas of town, and that would probably be the least damage to be expected.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I have given perhaps 75 seconds of thought to the possibility of vandalism occurring to my vehicle in the last 20 years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

I have given perhaps 75 seconds of thought to the possibility of vandalism occurring to my vehicle in the last 20 years.

Same, but I don't live in a city so it's largely not something that's likely to happen. If I were street parking in a city I would be thinking about it a lot. Especially if it was some place like SF.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003
It seems that even in the Scandinavian countries Porsches aren't safe from populist reprisals

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

People in SF do not see a 986 Boxster and think “rich.” That said, your car is absolutely going to be broken into immediately, and the bumpers will be scratched into oblivion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, it's almost like different things are likely to happen in different places.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I guess the guy who parks his R8 a few cars down must be keeping me safe. Whew.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Some day I will live in a place that doesn’t get wind/rain/snow/hail and will feel okay parking a nice car outside the entire year.

Although deep down I know I’m from the east coast and don’t deserve nice things.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Replace the Porsche badge with a Mazda one and street park the boxster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Although deep down I know I’m from the east coast and don’t deserve nice things.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Russian Bear posted:

Replace the Porsche badge with a Mazda one and street park the boxster.

lol

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
It's a good plan, tbh.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And now, as I beaver away on solving the airbag light on the '05 Cayenne (probably the TSB about a bad / corroded jones plug under the seat), I hit the gas and it felt like the transfer case was eating itself.

Spent a wonderful Sunday learning all about the Cardone driveshaft, featuring the weak center-link insulator!

another $400 after the $100 oil change! Yay! :homebrew:

Still have zero lights on the transfer case switch which is the other error light. Bad potentiometer? Corroded contacts? Who TF knows?

e: I'll probably order the servo unit off of Amazon in case it isn't just dirty contacts. $245.00

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Spent a wonderful Sunday learning all about the Cardone driveshaft, featuring the weak center-link insulator!

https://shop.eurowise.com/products/ewor30110

Mine just went on the way back from Maine. Had to nurse it home.

I've had these parts sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years now, knowing it was going to go soon. And I just never got around to installing it.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Just got home from ~2,500 miles over 2 weeks in the e91 and got a big grin backing the 986 out of the garage to drive it tomorrow.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Some nice symmetry going on there with the SUVs. Enjoy your drive!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

And I mention the top because if it's garage kept now and hasn't had a new top in the last decade you can be nearly guaranteed that it will not survive living outside. Most only need one decent hard rain before the ECU that is conveniently located under the passenger's seat at the lowest point of the floor pan never works again.

New top or not, the roof drains being clogged are often the culprit when it comes to soaked electronics. Easy enough to check if you know you need to do it.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

What kind of costs am I looking at if I buy a 996 with 150k miles on the clock? Interior looks to be well cared for. Need to ask about the IMS bearing?
3.4 996 Carrera 4 Coupe 2dr Petrol Tiptronic S AWD - £10,000 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305257789137
The aim is to store in a garage (once I have emptied it...)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well cared for interior other than that drivers seat?

If that drivers sport seat is as hosed as it looks do you want the cost of that factored in?

Cars that show questionably at low prices typically have don't have good surprises.
It's a cheap Porsche :siren:
It's a tip
The interior carpet looks crazy faded (I can't even tell what color that carpet was supposed to be?)
That front nose looks like it might be a questionable spray based on a couple of the photos.

The only thing I can see that looks rare is that I can't see a sunroof. I *think* that makes it a early build 996. That's quite sought after on coupes, pity it's an auto.

Costs could be anywhere from basic maintenance to replacing your cooling system, cam tensioners, IMS, to who knows what. it's a 25 year old car. The whole thing could, and probably is a basket case. Feel free to check it out I guess, but I'd be exceptionally leery. If you do see it get the VIN and run it and check the option codes under the frunk.

And don't forget to check what your insurance would cost. And remember they drink premium.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If the drivers seat looks like that in photos that entire interior is the typical 996 bargain basement poorly aging mess of rattle, squeaks, melted buttons and defects. That's probably part of why its so cheap.

Send it off to a Porsche mechanic to get a PPI, but I bet it's gonna come back with the entire sales price or more worth of problems.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

"Boy, am I glad I bought that cheap Porsche" is a sentence never uttered in the English language.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

Went shopping for a manual 997 and ended up with this 2017 4S instead.

Just put on 3k miles taking this to tail of the dragon and up blue ridge parkway in the smoky mountains. Mountain road cornering in this car is nuts, and really scary in the passenger seat. I guess the rear axle steering makes it feel a bit tilt-a-whirl.

About 6 hours from home on the way back, the check engine light comes on while I’m cruising on the highway, but it says I can keep driving. Just got the car back today and looks like they had to replace a pressure sensor for fuel tank ventilation. under CPO warranty praise allah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Didn’t know this before we got there but there are photographers stationed at some of the big corners around tail of the dragon, and they sell their pics online https://129photos.com/

The week before we got there, somebody flipped their Ferrari onto its roof.