Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Pellisworth posted:

What's the quickest way to do WT1 alt leveling? Whispers dungeons? is it worth redoing the campaign or better to skip?

You and the bear tribe chieftain run the same dungeon repeatedly for several hours without completing the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vashro posted:

You and the bear tribe chieftain run the same dungeon repeatedly for several hours without completing the quest.

:chloe:

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Vashro posted:

Not gonna lie, id rather run the campaign then spam these sparsely populated dungeons

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There are challenges & titles for beating campaign sections on Hardcore, by the way.

Be advised that the Lillith campaign fight has an instant-death mechanic if you're on an area of the floor that disappears. Even if you're level 100 playing on WT1 against a Level 50 Lilith, it will RIP you

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Verviticus posted:

what experience did you expect other than this. this is diablo

i think there's two of us?

i drink them when im playing super high cause i need that extra timeframe to feel comfortable but ive never actually had one proc. barbarian is kinda hard to die on

i also go for the 5 second ‘immune’ bubble aspect so if i’m about to do something real dumb i wait for it to be of cooldown and then i have 500-900 armor from potion 200-500 armor from incense, anti death elixir, 4 dodges, 2 unstoppables, and hotkey bound scroll of escape.

i think getting to 100 on my hc rogue might be what i do first once i can bank the statutes/exploration on the 18th

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you have multiple cheat deaths, do they all proc & go on cooldown in the event of a single death?

I just noticed multiple icons in my Butcher Death Clip, and I had the Flame Shield passive & the Elixir of Cheat Death

Makes sense I guess, but I wish I hadn't wasted a perfectly good enchantment slot!

anecdotally i’ve seen people say the flame shield doesn’t always proc/prevent death and i saw but cannot again find a twitch clip that looked like a sorc getting one shot with it not proccing. i guess i wouldn’t feel super safe with just one it the other but maybe it was fixed in the last balance patch?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

The fact that the camera zooms out when you get on a mount makes it feel like it slows you down. Also having a limited number of dashes kind of feels stupid with how slow their base speed is.

Is there any hope that they might kill the always-online part of this game? I'm really sick of the modern trend of not allowing people to pause video games for basically no benefit whatsoever. They don't even have to kill always online for it but I'd assume that's why they leave out such a simple loving feature.

again console exclusive but if you don’t pay for xbox gold/game pass or the PS equivalent, you can still play the game and get to do so solo. not exactly the same since you still need to connect to servers but it would be solo

e: already covered, my b

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2023

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Is there any hope that they might kill the always-online part of this game? I'm really sick of the modern trend of not allowing people to pause video games for basically no benefit whatsoever. They don't even have to kill always online for it but I'd assume that's why they leave out such a simple loving feature.

I don't know why everybody is glossing over the actual important part of your question to tell you ways you can avoid other players. D3 lets you pause the game when playing solo and there's no excuse for D4 not retaining that functionality.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There are challenges & titles for beating campaign sections on Hardcore, by the way.

Be advised that the Lillith campaign fight has an instant-death mechanic if you're on an area of the floor that disappears. Even if you're level 100 playing on WT1 against a Level 50 Lilith, it will RIP you

Well clearly the answer here is that you should be paying attention, this isn't flawed design at all but player error.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

wemgo posted:

Not gonna lie, id rather run the campaign then spam these sparsely populated dungeons

They asked for the quickest way not the most fun.

harrygomm posted:

anecdotally i’ve seen people say the flame shield doesn’t always proc/prevent death and i saw but cannot again find a twitch clip that looked like a sorc getting one shot with it not proccing. i guess i wouldn’t feel super safe with just one it the other but maybe it was fixed in the last balance patch?

I heard the lillith's floor drop out is the only thing that can't be prevented

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vashro posted:

the fastest way is to skip the campaign, have a high level friend do both of the capstones for you and then start running as high a level of NM dungeon as possible and you stand in the entrance with an xp elixir on. the more friends the better

for solo, there’sa guy with a decent guide for the beat thing let me find it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I thought I heard that enemies only give bonus XP up to +3 character level (plus a modifier for WT1/2/3/4). Does standing in the doorway of a NM40 Dungeon get you to Level 50 any faster than standing in the doorway of a NM30 dungeon?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Vashro posted:

im curious is there something special about the dungeon or does the npc count for the party xp bonus or what

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A level 90 enemy gives a lot more XP per kill than a level 30 one.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought I heard that enemies only give bonus XP up to +3 character level (plus a modifier for WT1/2/3/4). Does standing in the doorway of a NM40 Dungeon get you to Level 50 any faster than standing in the doorway of a NM30 dungeon?

Yes

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im curious is there something special about the dungeon or does the npc count for the party xp bonus or what

The dungeon is relatively dense and always the same layout

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

So what was the source of the "No XP benefit for killing enemies more than +3 levels above player level" rumor?? Was that BS?

I definitely thought that (within the same world tier) you got the same amount of XP from killing a +3 level enemy as killing a +4, +10, +25 etc!

EDIT - as always, maxroll has a great explanation. There is an additional XP bonus of up to 25% if enemies are up to 3 levels higher than you. But the actual base amount of XP per kill is based on how much HP the enemy has, and an enemy's HP goes up every level. Neat!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 12, 2023

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I have not spoiled myself on items. I run a pure ice sorc and my eyes popped out of my head when I got the unique Iceheart Brais (enemies that die while frozen unleash a Frost Nova)

I already had the ice shard aspects that cause richochets and piercing. The whole screen constantly blows up with satisfying crunchy explosions.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
ignoring the click bait-yness, this guy shows a 4.5 hour solo 1-50 using that bear dungeon mentioned earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaAfxOJgp3E

also some of the guide writer type people are theorizing that resetting strongholds might be the most efficient way to level solo too, since they scale and can be reset quickly

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So what was the source of the "No XP benefit for killing enemies more than +3 levels above player level" rumor?? Was that BS?

I definitely thought that (within the same world tier) you got the same amount of XP from killing a +3 level enemy as killing a +4, +10, +25 etc!

No idea. I was clearing nm50s for my friend leveling an alt and it was noticeably faster than doing nm20s. Maybe just more enemies couldn’t possibly say

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT - as always, maxroll has a great explanation. There is an additional XP bonus of up to 25% if enemies are up to 3 levels higher than you. But the actual base amount of XP per kill is based on how much HP the enemy has, and an enemy's HP goes up every level. Neat!

i don’t have any hard evidence one way or the other but as i understand +3 to your level guarantees the extra 25% bonus XP. higher level mobs give more XP, but for most builds, it’s best to stick to exactly +3 because the extra XP gain of doing a NM60 instead of NM45 or whatever is more than offset by the extra time it would take to clear

if you’re able to oneshot packs at that difficulty though, you should keep going higher and higher level for more XP until your clear rate diminishes and then dial back one.

obviously character XP isn’t the end all, so sometimes it’s worth doing higher levels to get better gear/glyph XP too

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

harrygomm posted:

ignoring the click bait-yness, this guy shows a 4.5 hour solo 1-50 using that bear dungeon mentioned earlier

also some of the guide writer type people are theorizing that resetting strongholds might be the most efficient way to level solo too, since they scale and can be reset quickly

How do you reset a stronghold?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

harrygomm posted:

How do you reset a stronghold?
E: lol 100% beaten

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You can technically avoid the always online multiplayer requirement by not having a PlayStation plus subscription, but owning the game. You will still be able to play, but PvP, partying, trading, and basically every online feature (except seeing people randomly in town) will be disabled.

Otherwise, no.

Does that actually remove the internet requirement though, or simply disable all multiplayer aspects while still being online? :)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
do all the stronghold objectives except the last one. walk out of range of the sub zone the stronghold is in, walk back in

they were specifically talking about kor dragon or however it’s spelled. idk if that’s the most efficient or just an example

if you’ve already completed them 100% i don’t know if a way to reset it. they were talking in the context of new characters/seasons

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Magus42 posted:

Does that actually remove the internet requirement though, or simply disable all multiplayer aspects while still being online? :)

yeah this was how i misunderstood it too. still need internet connection, can’t pause, still have to connect to bnet services, still subject to DDOS etc. maybe if they do a port to switch again?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I love reading about min/max strats, endless laughs :allears:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
By Dull Mephistos...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

zoux posted:

I rode around a lot doing Whispers stuff and every single event I came across.
Yeah gambling is the best way to get all the class specific aspects, so I leveled up an alt by doing some whispers to get me up to the PvP zones monster level and then I did all the events in both. Also did all the events while running around getting altars and map although that is not going to be necessary anymore.

harrygomm posted:

do all the stronghold objectives except the last one. walk out of range of the sub zone the stronghold is in, walk back in

they were specifically talking about kor dragon or however it’s spelled. idk if that’s the most efficient or just an example

if you’ve already completed them 100% i don’t know if a way to reset it. they were talking in the context of new characters/seasons

They were talking about this in the wudjio pocast I linked before. It is probably going to be the next thing on the Blizz chopping block if it becomes popular, as if you pick the right stronghold you get a high density, charlevel+2 area with elites and all.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 12, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Here's some nitty gritty if anyone cares or is curious

- Every enemy has a unique, flat XP value, and it's higher for large/high HP enemies and lower for small/low HP enemies. This flat XP base goes up linearly every level. It does NOT go up if enemies gain more HP for some reason, such as Group Play or a NM Modifier of +30% max HP

- Elites give 2x to 7.7x bonus XP compared to their base monster, and their Minions give a 1.2x to 4.6x bonus compared to their base monster

- You get a bonus of +15%, or +20%, or +25% if enemies are +1, or +2, or +3 your level

- Penalty of -10% per level for each level below you (you get zero XP for enemies that are 10+ levels below you)

- WT2, WT3, and WT4 add a +20%, or +100%, or +200% XP modifier

- You can get +5% from drinking an elixir, +5% for being near another player, and +5% if you are near another player that is also in your party

- All bonuses stack additively, so the bonuses are more valuable at lower levels and less valuable at higher levels

TL:DR If your top priority is fast XP, kill enemies at +3

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

- Every enemy has a unique, flat XP value, and it's higher for large/high HP enemies and lower for small/low HP enemies. This flat XP base goes up linearly every level. It does NOT go up if enemies gain more HP for some reason, such as Group Play or a NM Modifier of +30% max HP

- Elites give 2x to 7.7x bonus XP compared to their base monster, and their Minions give a 1.2x to 4.6x bonus compared to their base monster

- You get a bonus of +15%, or +20%, or +25% if enemies are +1, or +2, or +3 your level

- Penalty of -10% per level for each level below you (you get zero XP for enemies that are 10+ levels below you)

- You can get +5% from drinking an elixir, +5% for being near another player, and +5% if you are near another player that is also in your party

- All bonuses stack additively, so the bonuses are more valuable at lower levels and less valuable at higher levels

This is interesting. Thank you.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Swilo posted:

I love reading about min/max strats, endless laughs :allears:

yeah when it comes down to it i find doing all that stuff just burns me out faster. i’ve just been plugging away at diablo since release just doing whatever to reach my goals and i’ll probably do the same in seasons. the idea of running a stronghold or dungeon 50 times in a row is just too broke brain for me any more. i think playing wow too much beat that out of me

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

so if i understand a higher level NMD would raise their HP/level in a way that would increase the XP provided but compared to the bonuses, the flat xp gain amount wouldn’t be worth it

also of note the “close to other players” bonus is a very small area out in the open world, the in a party area seems to be a bit bigger, but in an instance, it is shared xp with everyone in the zone regardless of how many screens apart

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i was talking with someone about the fury against fate sidequest earlier and got console users can’t do the 1 fps in background trick. first, was apparently not fixed in the latest patch that fixed a bunch of sidequest stuff. someone found a way to sort of emulate that for consoles.

some dude on reddit posted:

CONSOLE USERS WHO THINK THEY HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING: I found a solution on Reddit, a thread I can no longer find, with 100% fix rate for both pc and console, literally did it an hour ago on ps5. Just abandon Q, log off, set a load of stuff downloading/ streaming on the console and other devices, log back in , pick up the quest and go. The high ping fixes it for some unholy reason. Enjoy!

some other people said doing stuff like attaching your console to a hotspot and only allowing a 3G connection also can emulate it. haven’t personally tried it, too much work for one sidequest, but figured i’d throw it out there

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

harrygomm posted:

Cool. I've been playing an alt by mainly just knocking out aspects I don't already have and just using those dungeons for XP, but at some point I"ll want to just level up for a bit and I enjoy strongholds anyways

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

harrygomm posted:

yeah when it comes down to it i find doing all that stuff just burns me out faster. i’ve just been plugging away at diablo since release just doing whatever to reach my goals and i’ll probably do the same in seasons. the idea of running a stronghold or dungeon 50 times in a row is just too broke brain for me any more. i think playing wow too much beat that out of me

No doubt. I haven’t even finished the campaign lol. Gonna have to grind out the last bit of it here pretty soon before S1 though. Looking forward to trying something else and actually playing endgame.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have no doubt that you found all the correct public info but something is off because it’s almost twice as fast to level if we ramped up the dungeon level. We went from +~5 to +~30 and it flew

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Time posted:

I have no doubt that you found all the correct public info but something is off because it’s almost twice as fast to level if we ramped up the dungeon level. We went from +~5 to +~30 and it flew

i think it should be pretty obvious that if you jump the mobs 25 levels and kill them just as quickly, you'll level up faster and there's nothing in there that suggests you wouldnt?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Time posted:

You probably skimmed past this line.

“This flat XP base goes up linearly every level.”

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

American McGay posted:

You probably skimmed past this line.

“This flat XP base goes up linearly every level.”

Oh, I did for sure lol.

Then I guess the advice isn’t your level +3 it’s whatever you can kill fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU