Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Full circle from Armstrong and Elswick building the IJN as Japan first started their navy.

I was thinking that, with the exception that the US is unwilling and unable to exapnd industrial capacity becausea space of waterfront property is worthmore as a cookie cutter condo to a landlord than as a shipyard that actually produces things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KomradeX posted:

I was thinking that, with the exception that the US is unwilling and unable to exapnd industrial capacity becausea space of waterfront property is worthmore as a cookie cutter condo to a landlord than as a shipyard that actually produces things

in many places yes and the same for marine terminals as well

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

KomradeX posted:

It's hard for me to imagine shipyards in Brooklyn. Like a totally alien conception of NYC.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

in some cases the shipyards are still manufacturing facilities, just not shipyards.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cat botherer posted:

It's hard for me to imagine shipyards in Brooklyn. Like a totally alien conception of NYC.

at one point nyc proper was the freight hub. there are folks still alive from that period.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

cat botherer posted:

Brooklyn Navy Yard

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

imagine the lower end of Manhattan. The entirety of the lower end on both sides, think everything south of the park. the whole thing was packed solid with piers for stick ships from like before the 20’s through the late forties. The customs house (that has an art museum in it now ) was like the center of customs tax revenues.

The financial / insurance center on Wall Street was to service all the marine transportation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They can turn it around though!

At least that bread looks delicious

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
hell I remember when the Chinese military used to be afraid of the Brooklyn Naval Yards

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Turtle Watch posted:

hell I remember when the Chinese military used to be afraid of the Brooklyn Naval Yards

hmm... reindeerflotilla

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNop81ykCjs

ruh roh

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

no lawnmower sounds 0/10

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

celadon posted:

why would you build ships to rebuild the us navy if it got exploded and you're like right next to china which makes all the things in the world, why not change sides to the one capable of material production

The war hasn't started just yet, maybe the USA could buy a navy from China?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this situation sums it up pretty well

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Things used to be made in New York, its how anyone that isnt a wealthy midwest failkid used to be able to afford to love herr

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Where are the self assembling quad copters?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Things used to be made in New York, its how anyone that isnt a wealthy midwest failkid used to be able to afford to love herr

That was before the city was purified and achieved its final form as a huge glowering pile of capital

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Future game designers will have a hell of a time modelling our society that both cut welfare and doesn’t produce anything.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

Future game designers will have a hell of a time modelling our society that both cut welfare and doesn’t produce anything.

Not really. Just tack on a capitalism brain poisoning modifier with various stages that eats economic output.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1677717779624112130

to provide defense against the chinese manhacks i propose equipping the troops with standardized crowbars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BeijingDai/status/1679087508213342209?t=zly1kErZGWDg6L0h8ACGlA&s=19

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

China knows how to make boats. The US has forgotten how to make boats

The mandate of heaven is clear

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

China knows how to make boats. The US has forgotten how to make boats

The mandate of heaven is clear

bar ran dunishly: yes, but here is why you’re wrong…

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Centrist Committee posted:

bar ran duning krugerishly: yes, but here is why you’re wrong…

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They will simply dragoon Korea and Japan into it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

They will simply dragoon Korea and Japan into it

Wargame: Red Dragoon

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The US will seize the shipyards and immediately sell them to a hedge fund.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Crow posted:

The US will seize the shipyards and immediately sell them to a hedge fund.

Don't be silly, there will be several cycles of consultant carrion-feeding before the remains are loaded with hundreds of millions in debt and then stripped for parts by a hedge fund.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Don't be silly, there will be several cycles of consultant carrion-feeding before the remains are loaded with hundreds of millions in debt and then stripped for parts by a hedge fund.

Did you read the report on Australian shipbuilding? I think I linked it to this thread. It says that, more or less verbatim, when explaining why Australia can barely paint their ships, let alone construct nuclear submarines.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Using a fabricated confrontation with China as a reason to sink Bain Capital's proboscis into the still functional heavy industry in SK and Japan would be pretty :discourse: ngl

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 71 days!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

Using a fabricated confrontation with China as a reason to sink Bain Capital's proboscis into the still functional heavy industry in SK and Japan would be pretty :discourse: ngl

Jul 11, 2023

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/07/chinese-company-wins-race-for-first-methane-fueled-rocket-to-orbit/

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 71 days!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
methalox sucks and is bad but the private space industry is obsessed with it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Huffing their own farts all the way into low earth orbit

Jul 11, 2023

atelier morgan posted:

methalox sucks and is bad but the private space industry is obsessed with it

why does methalox suck?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Did you read the report on Australian shipbuilding?

No!!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

71123 posted:

why does methalox suck?

because its cryogenic, like hydrolox, but absolutely nothing can beat hydrogen at its game because its the smallest possible atom. methane is a big stupid pile of carbons that is poo poo rear end awful by comparison, and if you need to use a big stupid pile of carbons (because you need something that isn't cryogenic) you can use kerolox, which is better

its all abloo bloo natural gas is 'green' and 'sustainable' which is a farce, but a farce with grant money and NGOs on the line

the space shuttle went up with hydrolox, the saturn v with kerolox, the chinese space program uses both, dipshits like space-x and blue origin are the only morons to touch methalox

e: if you need something stable you use a horror compound of hydrazine (udmh or mmh) and accept that it'll kill anything it touches

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Frosted Flake posted:

how are those supposed to be mutually exclusive?