Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

job destroyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

I keep hearing that about the labor market and it’s probably on me for foolishly earning a master’s degree in history but it sure as gently caress does not feel particularly hot right now. everything is as bad or worse as it was in 2018 when I was first job searching only on top of everything else a new round of austerity has gutted all the local universities. it’s really hard to reconcile all this stuff about low unemployment with the depressing reality that myself and people like me are more likely to die in the gutter than revive the mythologized middle class

Under no circumstances should you ever go into academia.

Like, I'm pretty sure game development offers a better quality of life at this point.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Huh I wonder if anything happened over the last three or so years that might have taken millions of people out of the labor pool?

Looking to the past is communism. Mods???

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I was laid off from a decent university job in may and have been pursuing private sector work, I never want to go back to academia. the institutional collapse has so much inertia basic systems no longer function at all, I had six supervisors in four years because all dean level positions have become revolving doors for mendacious, acquisitive liberal scum with no actual scholarly interests and all the actual scholars are terminally precarious adjuncts. it’s a trend that probably will not change until the system more or less completely collapses

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frog Act posted:

yeah I was laid off from a decent university job in may and have been pursuing private sector work, I never want to go back to academia. the institutional collapse has so much inertia basic systems no longer function at all, I had six supervisors in four years because all dean level positions have become revolving doors for mendacious, acquisitive liberal scum with no actual scholarly interests and all the actual scholars are terminally precarious adjuncts. it’s a trend that probably will not change until the system more or less completely collapses

lol

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

Like, I'm pretty sure game development offers a better quality of life at this point.

https://twitter.com/takesAEGIS/status/1678481056520101889

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If I had to tell a teenager in the 2040's what America thought of itself in the early 2000's I'd have them watch Traffic, Crash, and Babel. And to let them know what it was actually like living through those times I'd have them watch Starship Troopers

Add Southland tales after starship troopers too

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

The Catholic Church rose to prominence by taking the place of the shrinking Roman state in aid to orphans, widows, poverty and disaster relief. It was the largest driver of Christianization, creating a Maoist dual power within Roman society.

can you recc a book or books on this...

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Frog Act posted:

if you spent less time learning six dollar words like mendacious and more time violently beating the poo poo out of administrators this never would've happened

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Six dollar word? Goddamn nothing's safe from inflation

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

if you spent less time learning six dollar words like mendacious and more time violently beating the poo poo out of administrators this never would've happened

it's true, he'd have been fired with cause immediately

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Biplane posted:

Libraries round these parts have heavily restricted access to ebooks, if at all, to protect small businesses like major international publishing houses. I was able to search my local library online to see if they had a physical copy at least (they did not)

try searching worldcat.org and entering your zip code afterwards.

itll show you public libraries near you that possess that book. you can request it from your local via interlibrary loan. go to your library, find someone, and ask for an ILL form. you might want to write down the oclc number of the title you want, so the ILL person can find it easily (worldcat will tell you what this number is). they will literally ship the book to your local branch and notify you, all you have to do is go pick it up when its ready. some libraries (lovely ONES!!!) charge a small fee for ILL fulfillments, but a dollar or two beats paying $20+.

literally everybody should know about worldcat, it should be part of library 101 in high schools and colleges, and yet nobody does

:capitalism:

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Halisnacks posted:

If librairies hadn’t already been invented, there is no way they could have been created for the first time now.

100%

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah according to the church, attendance minus Yule and poo poo like that is less than 1%. Lmao just convert them into Hesburgers already.

are you trying to get finland invaded by the united states of america? because this would absolutely do it, and ted cruz would be the architect

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

It's the Pinellas Plant in St. Petersburg, Florida. Wikipedia doesn't even give it the dignity of its own article, it's just mentioned in the notes on an article about the current thing on the property: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-Rainey_Star_Center

I'd just "update it" as suggested but there actually aren't many good sources online to reference, what I've been able to figure out has been from reading through the enormous docket of the EPA cleanup, because they had to interview people and figure out what processes were being used so they knew how to clean the fuckin' thing up. The only other mention I've found that gets what they did there correct is in this self-published book about nuclear weapons I bought a little while ago (mostly because it was 2000 pages long and contained eye-watering amounts of detail about every declassified aspect of every nuclear weapon America has ever done). Even in that book he only mentions it offhand while talking about the development of the stuff they made there and doesn't go into any more detail, though at least he provides a picture of the actual devices that I've found real helpful. Neither of those are really great wikipedia sources.

The one non-environmental-cleanup-related wikipedia cite goes to the current website of the property, here: http://www.young-raineystarcenter.org/about-us/ which doesn't really say anything other than "it made nuclear weapons components". The WSJ link is just an aggregation of superfund data, and it's also... kinda wrong? Like here:

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/waste-lands/site/364-pinellas-plant-general-electric-co/

So "radioisotope-powered" would imply something like an RTG used on spacecraft, but that's not what they did there. From deep in the EPA interviews and from the one book that mentions it, the thing they did was build the electronic neutron initiators, which are basically tiny fusion reactors that generate a burst of neutrons right as the primary reaches critical mass, to ensure it fires at exactly the point when its most dense. In fact, they built every single neutron initiator used in every single American nuclear weapon manufactured over the course of 50 loving years, right up to the 90's.

My ultimate goal would be to write, at the very least some kinda article, maybe even a little book about the place, and then maybe that can be cited on wikipedia. It's very weird to me that the factory in charge of making the tiny fusion reactor that blows up nuclear bombs is so hard to find any information about, and today the most visible thing at the site is... the DMV.

so i'm gonna need the title of uli's self-published "history of american nukes" (please)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Consolidated Ed posted:

so i'm gonna need the title of uli's self-published "history of american nukes" (please)

Shame Boy posted:

Volume 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HTD9YKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volume 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1718121369/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few notes:

- The ebook version doesn't include the actually pretty valuable pictures for some reason, so prolly don't get that (which I did initially like an idiot, then went back and bought the physical books)
- The dude desperately needs the services of an editor. There's plenty of obvious mistakes, including entire pages that are just duplicated here and there. Ultimately most of the book is fine, the dude's pretty smart and literate so he gets away with not having an editor most of the time, but it's not anywhere near up to the quality of like, an actual proper textbook and it shows.
- The story of why he chose to write the book is pretty funny, apparently he was at a museum and the guide couldn't answer his questions and that frustrated him enough to spend the next ten years just digging up all the publicly-accessible information he could on every aspect of American nuclear weapon design.
- Okay I guess it's only 1200 pages across both volumes, but they're big pages. The thing is like phonebook-sized.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Frosted Flake posted:

It was mostly this. There are some books on the "politics" of sacrifice. In Greece, for example, sacrificing livestock was essentially throwing a BBQ for the working class and could build support for members of the ruling class in return. The coalition that opposed Pericles were popular because of their observance of sacrifice. Yes, piety, sure, but also they were the ones working class shlubs associated with pit beef, and got their votes in return.

this makes so much loving sense

solidarity thru bbq, thru the ages

sign me the gently caress up

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Shame Boy posted:

Eh plenty of stuff sure but like, the Saturn V really didn't have much military potential or even transferrable technologies. I know we like being cynical as all hell (and for good reason) but c'mon we walked on the loving moon and even in the deepest of cold war rah rah bullshit tensions the plaque we left still says "from the planet earth" and not "from America" and idk, that's something at least :sigh:

Next one we leave is gonna be an ad for FritoLay, isn't it

confederate monument, or something with a billionaire's name on it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

aegis is a great name

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

ty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Consolidated Ed posted:

are you trying to get finland invaded by the united states of america? because this would absolutely do it, and ted cruz would be the architect

They did.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Milosh posted:

Danny McBride is the only person in entertainment that genuinely understands the South.

there was squidbillies until unknown hinson decided to voice his opinion about dolly parton

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I keep hearing that about the labor market and it’s probably on me for foolishly earning a master’s degree in history but it sure as gently caress does not feel particularly hot right now. everything is as bad or worse as it was in 2018 when I was first job searching only on top of everything else a new round of austerity has gutted all the local universities. it’s really hard to reconcile all this stuff about low unemployment with the depressing reality that myself and people like me are more likely to die in the gutter than revive the mythologized middle class

Have you tried lower paying service industry jobs?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/suumitshah/status/1678460567000850450

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
drat musk was right about ai, pretty hosed up it forced this man at gunpoint to fire all of his staff, pocket the profits and make his customers less satisfied

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Sega does what Nintendont

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Too late i believe in dead internet theory so talking with AI chatbots is just the normal world

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gonna lol when this company has to rehire everyone because their chatbot devolves into an incomprehensible string of racial slurs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

drat musk was right about ai, pretty hosed up it forced this man at gunpoint to fire all of his staff, pocket the profits and make his customers less satisfied

You see, because to save money they already only hired barely competent people and rotated them out the moment they asked for a raise, customer satisfaction was low anyway. The secret sauce with using AI is to get your product/service to be so low quality to begin with that using AI would be an improvement.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao the very next tweet is great too

https://twitter.com/suumitshah/status/1678460569844588547

New idea: profitability (??? am I even saying that right)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/suumitshah/status/1678460601670967307

You, uh... you don't know what that song's about do you.

Also as far as I can tell his only metric for success he ever mentions is "the bot closed a bunch of tickets by itself" which, uhhhh

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That was the only metric he cared about when there were employees. The point of the call center was just to have a relief valve for customers to scream at someone.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

And now they scream at software with no mouth.

spacemang_spliff posted:

gonna lol when this company has to rehire everyone because their chatbot devolves into an incomprehensible string of racial slurs
Because this isn't how chatGPT works, unless you feed input back into its training data. Which would take time and money, so lol.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Six dollar word? Goddamn nothing's safe from inflation

They just call them Thickwords now because even regular fast words cost like 6 bucks anymore.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Our new ad campaign is our pistachios gently caress, but not their usual partners.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Also as far as I can tell his only metric for success he ever mentions is "the bot closed a bunch of tickets by itself" which, uhhhh

We used to outsource our poo poo* support to a foreign company on site, but had to switch to domestic because they would just send "Please close incident BR" messages on all available channels literally every ½ hour. One by one everyone just blocked them all because actual work would've been impossible otherwise.

Stage 1: Incident has just been opened. "Please close incident BR N.N." forever.
Stage 2: Incident has been worked on, but nothing has been tested. "Please close incident BR N.N." forever.
Stage 3: Incident has been tested. Every test fails. "Please close incident BR N.N." forever.
Stage 4: Nothing for two weeks.
Stage 5: "I am having trouble finding your office. Which floor are you on? BR M.M." (They're all at head office, of course. I'm ~200 km to the West. My address is in my SIG.)

You get what you ask for and the bean-counters always ask for results.

*) Why did I even bother to try to obfuscate, everyone who knows what it is will know what it is.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Coolness Averted posted:

Our new ad campaign is our pistachios gently caress, but not their usual partners.

swinging is poly but for prudes

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tokin opposition posted:

swinging is poly but for prudes

If pistachios are the swingers of nuts, what are the polycule nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

number go down