Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ooof, you know they are going for the jugular when they cut to the toddler looking for the parents amongst the chaos.

Did anyone else also catch the moment when it appears that something is bursting out of the ground? It's very fast so it's easy to think it's from something hitting the ground, but it's definitely something coming from underground making the dirt explode upward. It's the shot immediately after the one where the train car slams into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Ooof, you know they are going for the jugular when they cut to the toddler looking for the parents amongst the chaos.

Did anyone else also catch the moment when it appears that something is bursting out of the ground? It's very fast so it's easy to think it's from something hitting the ground, but it's definitely something coming from underground making the dirt explode upward. It's the shot immediately after the one where the train car slams into the ground.

I think that's just the pavement breaking and a resultant spray of dirt from the crack

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Hell yeah.

I know it’s silly to get excited over a 45 second trailer that only shows about 2.5 seconds of Big G, but man oh man is this exciting.

I love the idea of setting this way back in the past, and making G mean and scary as hell. Watching this trailer makes me feel like a little boy again, when I watched the original Gojira and was just totally awed by it (and more than a little scared)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not much footage but it certainly seems like this godzilla is taking a few cues from Legendary Goji's physicality. I wonder how well articulated the suit is if they do intend to make this godzilla more aggressive in its movement.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s confirmed that this is all man-in-suit?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I like that G seems to be around 50 meters again from the looks of it- and they are straight up doing the train biting scene so I am ALL IN.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MrMojok posted:

It’s confirmed that this is all man-in-suit?

I don't think there's reason to believe there's any suit, is there? The Godzilla dream sequence this director did previously was all CG. What we saw on this teaser appears to be CG.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I like that G seems to be around 50 meters again from the looks of it- and they are straight up doing the train biting scene so I am ALL IN.

Haha yes.

And I think seeing this trailer has motivated me to get out the Gojira blu-ray. I haven’t watched it in a couple of years.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Looked bigger to me, that one shot is just his foot and ankle and it's huge. Look at the size of the claws.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I don't think there's reason to believe there's any suit, is there? The Godzilla dream sequence this director did previously was all CG. What we saw on this teaser appears to be CG.

I don’t know. I did find this post on a different site:

quote:

Now, given the Director, Takashi Yamazaki's works, it is highly likely to be a CGI Godzilla film, since he's a VFX Director as well who's previous romps with Godzilla include the opening sequence of Always Sunset on Third Street 2 and Godzilla: The Ride. Both of which have a very vintage Japanese look, which should give you an idea of how it might look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA9dahpeGlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1xXgMCtUw

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking of Godzilla x Kong, what are the popular theories on who the big bad will be? I'm not enough of a Zilla expert to list which options might be left, but I know they've already used up Rodan, Mothra, Ghidora, and MechaGodzilla, so what does that leave still on the board?

According to the leaked screenings there are two villains, a lizard called Shimu that's the first Titan and has frost powers, and the Scar King, which is like an evil King Kong I guess

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

According to the leaked screenings there are two villains, a lizard called Shimu that's the first Titan and has frost powers, and the Scar King, which is like an evil King Kong I guess

Here's more info. Obviously don't know if it's real and I read a few lines but not sure if I want everything spoiled. But maybe for these movies it doesn't matter.

https://cinemaphile.com/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-leaks-348190/

Not a huge fan of inventing new monsters of the week. Pretty wild they blew threw all of the most famous big bads and aren't going to dig deeper into the catalog. Maybe to save money licensing?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Violator posted:

Here's more info. Obviously don't know if it's real and I read a few lines but not sure if I want everything spoiled. But maybe for these movies it doesn't matter.

https://cinemaphile.com/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-leaks-348190/

Not a huge fan of inventing new monsters of the week. Pretty wild they blew threw all of the most famous big bads and aren't going to dig deeper into the catalog. Maybe to save money licensing?

This is exactly what the problem is. They are licensing the kauji on a per film basis, so they didn't want to pay for this one. Which makes sense. GvK was meant to be the last bow for the franchise as it had underperformed and the Godzilla deal was at an end. Then that made a good amount of money due to the pandemic and Legendary pressed forward but with a reduced budget.

That said the Muto's are great and so are the Skull Crawler so maybe they can strike gold again.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't mind new monsters at all, as long as they're well designed and have personality. After all, we all need new soft vinyl monsters to collect...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah TBH I want more new monsterverse kaiju rather than just repeating old toho legacy monsters.

Violator
May 15, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

That said the Muto's are great and so are the Skull Crawler so maybe they can strike gold again.

Very good point.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Haha yes.

And I think seeing this trailer has motivated me to get out the Gojira blu-ray. I haven’t watched it in a couple of years.

I also ended up watching Gojira today, partially because of the new trailer, and partially because I picked up the Showa boxset during Barnes & Nobel’s 4th of July sale and was itching for an excuse. Last time I watched it was a few years ago with my dad throwing the occasional wisecrack at it; certainly hit a bit differently (and more to its intended effect) watching alone and letting the film wash over me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yep. It helps a lot with that, watching the original non-Burr version.

The Americanized version, or whatever we want to call it, strips away some of the sheer horror of the original, especially a lot of parallels between G and the atomic bombs, where in the original Japanese film it’s basically straight text.

I saw the Americanized version when I was a kid, and that was all I saw until I was in my 30s, I think?

Man, the original Gojira just hits a lot differently.

e: I’ll add on to this post to say that the setting and timeframe give some very interesting story ideas.

This would be during the postwar US occupation of Japan. Did US atomic bombs awaken Godzilla, or create him?

Do the Japanese, already having had two atomic bombs dropped on them, also blame the Americans for Godzilla?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 12, 2023

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in late November so I definitely am gonna see it in the theater.

Since nobody posted it here
Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlceGpbGgvE

I'm actually going in early November. It'll be my first trip to Japan but I'm tempted to go even though I don't really speak Japanese. Just seems cool to make it to a new Toho Godzilla when it's brand new.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BehemothMode/status/1679147268191002626?t=hvsEsNQUSF2XyOTWHhD0Pw&s=19

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

THICC

They really did like G '14, eh? gently caress, can't wait for this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

minilla bearing hips

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone turned the FEET slider all the way up to 100

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm not really a fan of how huge the spines are but otherwise i'm into it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who let Quentin Tarantino into the art department

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mantis42 posted:

minilla bearing hips

:lol: New thread title please.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is also amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't seen feet that big since Giant Monsters All Out Attack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve seen chatter on twitter that people were complaining that Minus One Godzilla was identical to the Ride one but they look totally different to me?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there an up-to-date list of cities destroyed by Godzilla out there, with totals? I have an Age of Wonders 4 gimmick run to fluff up.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve seen chatter on twitter that people were complaining that Minus One Godzilla was identical to the Ride one but they look totally different to me?

The writer/director/FX guy for Minus One also made Godzilla The Ride- someone also pointed out that years ago there was a movie that had Godzilla in it as a 50s Showa era dream sequence. Basically each one looks similar, but it's more like his Godzilla has been refined each time.

I love the big spines (Millennium was my favorite Heisei Godzilla design and that was a big reason why) and his giant loving feet (Ultima is one of my favorite Godzilla designs of recent times).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1679285428979941377?t=HIfuBCgWZ--b4syl2gWgVQ&s=19

Gatdam that SH MonsterArts looks good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Time to open my wallet again. Goddamn.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Is there an up-to-date list of cities destroyed by Godzilla out there, with totals? I have an Age of Wonders 4 gimmick run to fluff up.

Just going chronologically, not indicating ones he's trashed multiple times:

Tokyo, Osaka, Sendai (offscreen), Nagoya, Yokohama, Fuji, Sapporo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Hong Kong, NYC, Nemuro, Yaizu, Honolulu, San Francisco, Boston, Pensacola.

I think that's it, some parts of Tokyo he's trashed aren't technically in the city limits but are part of the overall metro area.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you count Planet of the Monsters can you theoretically add "every single city on the planet across a several thousand year conquest" to the list?

That would also include Mechagodzilla City.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I kinda love this design

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vintersorg posted:

Time to open my wallet again. Goddamn.

I'd hold off personally, Hiya Toys has the license now for Toho Godzilla's and their Legendary monsters have put SHMA to shame for half the price.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm not really a fan of how huge the spines are but otherwise i'm into it.

Conversely I really like how big they are. This dude looks mean, just out and out malevolent

Like, Shin was creepy and weird and frightening, but in a kind of unknowable lovecraftian way, but this guy looks like a nasty violent rear end in a top hat

EDIT he looks like he's made out of barbed wire and shrapnel and slag. He looks like War.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

Conversely I really like how big they are. This dude looks mean, just out and out malevolent

Like, Shin was creepy and weird and frightening, but in a kind of unknowable lovecraftian way, but this guy looks like a nasty violent rear end in a top hat

EDIT he looks like he's made out of barbed wire and shrapnel and slag. He looks like War.

Large spines and mean face are the way to go.

I love Shin as much as anyone but the creature there was a creature just trying to survive.

This one looks like a creature who is pissed and is smashing Tokyo as a result.

Those large spines and pissed-off look means he’s there to do business, not as a friend to humanity.

Exactly as it should be.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
godzilla should go back to looking like a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MrMojok posted:

Large spines and mean face are the way to go.

I love Shin as much as anyone but the creature there was a creature just trying to survive.

This one looks like a creature who is pissed and is smashing Tokyo as a result.

Those large spines and pissed-off look means he’s there to do business, not as a friend to humanity.

Exactly as it should be.

Exactly, Shin looked like he was indifferent to humanity and that if we'd left him alone, the only destruction he'd cause would be from his traveling from one place to another. It was only when attacked that he really unleashed hell. This guy looks like he's thinking "murder" from the go.