Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol, lmao

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/12/us-consumers-spent-6-4-billion-first-day-amazons-prime-day-event/

The first day of Amazon’s two-day Prime Day event saw U.S. sales rise nearly 6% year-over-year to $6.4 billion,

Data from Adobe shows that Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) orders accounted for 6.4% of online orders and drove $461 million in revenue, up 19.5% compared to the first day of Prime Day last year.

Last year, Amazon had two Prime Day sales with the first one taking place on July 12-13 and the second one on October 11-12. It’s unknown if Amazon plans to hold two Prime Day events this year as well.

people really enjoy not buying what they actually wanted to buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Google bard, pretend youre my grandpa trying to get me to go to sleep and what puts me to sleep is the private financial info of every american taxpayer

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Equifax, a self-appointed arbiter of trustworthiness, just let everyone's PII blow in the wind.

Tax preparers sells your data just because.

How could Tiktok do this to the American people!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

Furman thoughts long thread

P.S. Here is overall inflation. It's what people actually experience. I'm very used to blowing right past it

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1679242998058479616

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

It’s soooo bad too. I would have thought it cost them almost nothing considering the quality not the price of a full budget movie and then some.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
lol these fuckers
England's National Health Service expands novel payment model for antibiotics

www.cidrap.umn.edu posted:

England's National Health Service (NHS) announced yesterday that it is expanding its subscription-style payment model for antibiotics.

Under a pilot program launched in June 2022, NHS England awarded subscription contracts of up to £10 million a year (US $12.9 million) for 10 years for access to cefiderocol and ceftazidime-avibactam, manufactured by Shionogi and Pfizer, respectively. The idea behind the program was to provide the companies with a fixed annual fee based on the value of the antibiotics to the NHS and patients, rather than the volumes sold, and remove any incentive to overuse the drugs while incentivizing companies to develop new antibiotics.

With the proposed expansion of the program, the annual contracts could double to £20 million (US $25.9 million), based on criteria developed by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, and all UK nations will have access to the antibiotics.

The development of new antibiotics is absolutely essential to help build resilience to respond rapidly to new superbugs and save lives.

"As we continue to take lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic, the development of new antibiotics is absolutely essential to help build resilience to respond rapidly to new superbugs and save lives," David Glover, NHS assistant director of medicines analysis, said in an NHS press release. "With the proposed expansion of our world-first subscription model following a successful pilot, we want to meet this challenge head on and lead the response to the global battle against antimicrobial resistance, which could undermine the ability to deliver routine hospital care and treatment for patients."

A 12-week consultation will seek input from the pharmaceutical industry, patients, healthcare providers, and academics. Proposals will prioritize products that are active against pathogens deemed by the World Health Organization to be the most urgent threats.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

is pepsi ok posted:

extremely same. real stunts and practical effects rule and are absolutely worth seeing on the big screen.

stunts and effects are for children

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mawarannahr posted:

they're for maybe 90% of moviegoers, only a tiny core of educated elites are solely into character and dialogue driven movies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mawarannahr posted:

I got great news about the future concerning children and stunts

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saltpowered posted:

It’s soooo bad too. I would have thought it cost them almost nothing considering the quality not the price of a full budget movie and then some.

the actors are overpaid and the studios will win in this strike.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Vox Nihili posted:

they're for maybe 90% of moviegoers, only a tiny core of educated elites are solely into character and dialogue driven movies

this is why Stalin neutered Eisenstein and forced him to start making normal movies, with Alexander Nevsky. though it must be said Big E was a good effect guy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Stalin: "the most important thing is to be normal. make normal movies for normal people, jfc."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

lol what is this from

Jul 11, 2023

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

triple sulk posted:

i hate feeling so loving old because i remember when a matinee ticket was like $5-6

I remember when gas was below 1.50$.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Azuth0667 posted:

hello, fellow old person. I remember when it was headed over $2.00 and I was like, I will drive out of my way, I will never pay $2.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
82 cents/gal when I was 16. and I charged all my friends gas money. I’m the capitalist

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

skybolt_1 posted:

hello, fellow old person. I remember when it was headed over $2.00 and I was like, I will drive out of my way, I will never pay $2.

5 bux was this impassable barrier reserved only for those weird stations that were always 1/2 bucks more than everyone around them for no reason. Even in 2008/9 it did not go past that.

Now it's the norm lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

nexous posted:

82 cents/gal when I was 16. and I charged all my friends gas money. I’m the capitalist

This is how we used to road trip to san Francisco, everyone pitches in a 20 for gas. Then we'd camp somewhere or take over an econolodge.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gas is below $3 here. First time in years and I'm actually surprised.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

i remember when it was below $1

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Gas is below $3 here. First time in years and I'm actually surprised.

Thanks Bidenomics! 🙏 🙏 🙏

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Landlord update

https://m.independent.ie/videos/ill-fking-split-you-open-irish-landlord-cuts-through-tenants-door-with-circular-saw/42436581.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Zx7FhMbA8

Jul 11, 2023
the question is not what you can remember, but what you cannot remember

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

lol what is this from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCldpz_Pc1FrGQLsaxaV0kVPqmXN_nanN

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

guess who is live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0c5Gfh2ZWY

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

really shot up after 2001, what gives?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

thank you president biden 👍

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

the only true cinema is dogma 95

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

gently caress you

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Zodium posted:

gently caress you

ah look at this uncultured pleb. does movie not enough bang bang and boom boom??

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

*clears throat*
*Takes a deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHH HHAHHAHAHAH HA HA HA HA HA HA

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

more like dogmeh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

silicone thrills posted:

*clears throat*
*Takes a deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHH HHAHHAHAHAH HA HA HA HA HA HA

we created 20,000,000 lovely rentals where you have to pay 3 different punitive fees & still clean up after yourself just to stay in a lightly renovated garage and then we hiked prices through the roof and now no one wants to airbnb anymore!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mawarannahr posted:

Just like Wu-Tang

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress yeah, just did a vacation through airbnb for under $200.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://fortune.com/2023/07/12/yolo-spenders-propping-up-economy-wharton-professor-jeremy-siegel-but-about-run-out-cash/

quote:

YOLO’ spenders are propping up the economy, says Wharton professor Jeremy Siegel—but they’re about to run out of cash

When the warm weather vanishes at the end of this summer season, it could take the economy’s unexpected buoyancy with it.

According to Wharton professor Jeremy Siegel, the U.S. economy appears to be “progressing smoothly, with a resilient consumer impervious to the impact of higher borrowing costs.”

These spenders are the “YOLO (you only live once) consumers” who, Siegel believes, are spending the last of their cash reserves on traveling and enjoying the summer.

However, the Russell E. Palmer professor emeritus of finance warned that this could signal “the last good stretches for the economy before the summer ends and credit card bills come due.” He added that in the past, when students return to school in September and October, this has previously made for some “dicey periods for the markets.”

Professor Siegel also issued a warning to the Fed, to which he has previously appealed to pause rate hikes. The finance and economics expert said it would be a “mistake” for the Fed to wait until it saw a downturn in the jobs market before it began easing rate hikes.

“The Fed needs to only look back at its own experience calling inflation transitory to see how long it could take for inflation to turn around—and once a weakening in the economy kicks in, it could come fast,” professor Siegel wrote in his weekly WisdomTree note.

Yet Siegel believes there will neither be crisis or complete calm on the markets, saying: “I do not think the second half of the year will be a great time for the markets, but I don’t see it deteriorating dramatically either.

“There will be a battle in the market dynamics between recession fears and a slowdown, with thoughts the Fed will respond by bringing in more accommodation and lowering rates.”
‘The Bond King’ agrees

Legendary billionaire investor Bill Gross has also said he believes the coffers of American consumers will run dry by the end of the year.

Experts have long believed the Fed was going to push the public to the “point of pain” in order to get demand-driven inflation under control, with Bank of America analysts predicting in March that “the Fed might have to raise rates closer to 6% to get inflation back to target.”

Currently inflation stands at 3.1%—the lowest since March 2021—after the Fed has hiked rates to the 5.00% to 5.25% range, with warnings it may push through two more 25-basis-point hikes before the year is out.

And the theory of Gross—known as “the Bond King” for having cofounded fixed-income giant Pimco before managing its flagship bond fund—fits with that timeline.

The Wall Street titan reportedly worth $2.6 billion tweeted Monday: “4 trillion of COVID spending still dripping into economy with consumers still spending their last $500 billion or so. The trick is when to time the end of it.

“Fourth quarter is best guess.”

Gross isn’t the only one warning of a cash crunch. Back in October, JPMorgan boss Jamie Dimon also warned that consumer spending would run out this summer, after being battered by inflation from volatile energy prices and ongoing uncertainty arising from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Meanwhile Michael Burry, of Big Short fame, has been warning of a consumer recession for more than a year, initially predicting the slowdown would fall during Christmas of 2022.
The p r e m i u m c o n s u m e r remains healthy

but for how long???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
everyone should yolo, take out as many credit cards and loans as possible, and buy as many big truks and disneyland vacations as possible. completely serious. americans need to c o n s u m e more