Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

Odd thing, just looking to make sure it's a repeatable issue. On the first page I include links to albums for all the gifs/mp4s I've made for each episode of Doctor Who so far, but I just discovered that if I'm not logged into imgur the albums now seem to throw back a 404 error (individual image links don't seem affected). Can somebody just confirm if the same thing happens to them if they click on it? The files are "hidden" in that they aren't searchable/commentable by random Internet users (why the gently caress anybody would open themselves up to that I have no idea) but imgur explicitly states this is an intended feature for people who want to link albums to specific places like SA, and I really, really, really, really do not want to unhide them so people can scream at each other about NFTs over a comment about a pretty horsey in one of the gifs or something.

Television Gifs
William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi | Jodie Whittaker

Hartnell, Smith, Capaldi, and Whittaker don't work for me, the rest work fine (except Pertwee gives a warning for "erotic or adult imagery" :pervert:)

EDIT: Davison doesn't seem to work either. And it looks like they might all give the warning, I guess the okay I gave to the Pertwee nudes was just carried over to the other ones.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well, when I clicked on the Pertwee link I got this

What sort of saucy Three gifs are you posting?
You get the same warning for Troughton, Baker, McGann and Tennant btw.

The full breakdown
Works fine: Colin, McCoy, Eccleston
404: Hartnell, Davison, Smith, Capaldi, Whitaker
:pervert::Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, McGann and Tennant

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 12, 2023

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The shower scene isn't even in there!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 11, Episode 6: Demons of the Punjab
Written by Vinay Patel, Directed by Jamie Childs

Umbreen posted:

It's perfect. This is us, forever. Our moment in time.

Demons of the Punjab has a lot of problems. It's an over-packed episode that tries to include too much and doesn't give any of them time to breathe. The writing is at times painfully earnest with characters just outright stating their feelings. The acting from some of the non-principals shares that same painfully over-earnest presentation, with a very "writerly" feel that looks good on paper but doesn't come across so well in performance. Characters act and react in ways that feel over-the-top to some things and oddly underplayed for others, with the ridiculous and also world-shattering revelations they discover about alien life and the danger they're in just seemingly been forgotten. This too relates to the odd tension between the need for the fantastical and the grounded, a combination that Doctor Who has struggled with particularly in the revival with the need for every episode to feature some kind of sci-fi element to its plots beyond simply the Doctor being a time traveler. The very laudable decision to put a spotlight on The Partition of India suffers as a result, diluting the impact and making it feel almost like an afterthought right up until the moment it suddenly isn't. Plus, of course, in an episode all about Yaz's family, Yaz once again feels like the least developed of the three companions, with Bradley Walsh's Graham seemingly getting more important/key scenes than she does. Yes, there are a lot of problems with this episode, a lot of real issues that stand out and can't be ignored.

It's also just a genuinely great episode of Doctor Who, and one I regularly praise and will continue to do so, because it's a drat good watch.

https://i.imgur.com/mpzIpqF.mp4

This is only the second episode of season 11 to have another writer other than Chris Chibnall on the episode, and first episode to have ONLY another writer other than Chibnall on it. In that sense it already stands out strong because regardless of your opinion on the quality or otherwise of Chibnall's writing, this is at least something entirely new. Vinay Patel, writer of Murdered by My Father, doesn't shy away from shining a light on upsetting topics, and it's great to see the show living up to the spirit of its original intended dual purpose of entertainment AND education by trying to touch on a depressing and painful part of world history: The Partition of India.

I have to admit to being woefully ill-educated about the subject, which was never touched upon in history lessons in school where I grew up. Perhaps it was different in other parts of the world, but for me growing up the general timeline of events was that Britain "lost" India in the late 1940s, something something something something, there is a large migrant population of Asians in Britain today. If anything, coverage of the event seemed to more focus on how it affected Lord Mountbatten personally as the last Viceroy of India, and even then more as a minor footnote in his history dwarfed by the focus on his assassination in Ireland in the late 1970s. But the Partition was an enormous event that impacted millions and millions of people, lead to a gigantic and hurried migration, an estimated million people killed, and stoked religious and ethnic tensions that remain in place to this very day. It was an Alexander the Great solution to a Gordian Knot, the simplistic idea that everything would be solved if you just (and this itself is an oversimplification of what happened) took all the Hindus and all the Muslims and gave them their own country and there, everybody is happy forever!

Manish posted:

Pakistan is being created for Muslims. Hindus have India. We both feel safe.

In terms of structure the episode is book-ended in a clever and emotionally satisfying way. It opens with Yaz attending the birthday party of her grandmother (Nani) Umbreen, and in that brief little section we get a wonderful slice of life of the Khan family: dad (Hakim) is checked out reading the paper outside of taking a brief interest in repairing something before retreating back to the safety of his chair, Nani not so subtly undercuts her daughter (Najia) while doting on her grandchildren but also openly playing favorites (Yaz's delighted smirk towards her sister - Sonya - when named the favorite is a delight!), and we get a natural explanation of the family history that makes sense in terms of Umbreen's adult granddaughter hungry to know a bit more about a family history that her Nani seems reluctant to elaborate on, particularly in regards to a broken watch she gifts to Yaz with the explicit instruction that it NEVER be repaired.

So of course she immediately races to the Doctor, because here's the solution to her dilemma: she can just go and see the truth for herself! The Doctor of course is reluctant, a reluctance that makes sense and stands alone in her explanation of the dangers of stepping too close to your own past but also works well in the context of viewer meta-knowledge: Father's Day showed us just how dangerous this could be, and how you couldn't necessarily rely on your human companion to allow logic to rule over emotion in the moment (more on that in regards to the Doctor later). But she's also the Doctor, she likes helping, she likes Yaz, and she can't resist working out the problem when she discovers that all Yaz has to go on is a broken watch and that Umbreen lived somewhere in Lahore, which doesn't exactly narrow things down. Here to with the benefit of hindsight (this write-up is written after Jodie Whittaker's time as the Doctor had ended) we see how these early episodes were still struggling with defining the expected traits of this particular Doctor. A focus on engineering/problem solving that seemed like it would be at the forefront of her character rather quickly fades away but is present in parts in this episode, as she works away on repairing the TARDIS here at the start or later when she jury-rigs a chemical analysis of the alien dust she discovers.

So she brings them to the Punjab, but not to Lahore, and one of the other key aspects of this episode is introduced: things aren't always as they seem. Given a ride by a Hindu man named Prem who seems a little exasperated by learning they are connected to Umbreen, when Yaz meets the young version of her grandmother nothing matches up with the history she has been given. This is not Lahore, and the man Umbreen is about to marry is NOT her grandfather, is not even a Muslim, but is this complete stranger Prem. That alone could (and arguably should) have been the entire plot of the episode, and I believe it would have been all the stronger for it. Yaz discovering this hidden history and struggling with the conflicting desires to help her Nani hold onto a love she clearly deeply felt but knowing it would cost the future love she would have, not to mention Yaz's own existence, a factor that worries the Doctor but is almost entirely ignored by/irrelevant to Yaz's desire to help other people find happiness. The tension and horror of seeing how the Partition tore this love apart, destroyed Prem's family, cost Manish everything, left Umbreen and her mother fleeing like so many millions of others from their own homes. It could have been fantastic. But this is Doctor Who, and Sydney Newman's dictate that the show alternate the weird science fiction with education on history has long since been overturned... so of course there are aliens too!

https://i.imgur.com/GnNizr0.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/CSUtzhb.mp4

The Doctor gets flashes of thoughts/images/visions of "demons" in her head. The local holy man who was going to perform the ceremony is found dead, the "demons" standing over him. The Doctor, Ryan and Prem track them down to their ship and discover a cannister full of alien dust that appears to contain images of the slain man. Prem reveals he has seen the "demons" before, suggesting that they may be linked to him/his family when he explains he found them standing over the dead body of his older brother Kunal while they were serving in the British Army in Singapore during the war. Umbreen's mother has been open in her statements that Prem's family is "cursed" and not afraid to voice her misgivings about the upcoming marriage when she could find a "good Muslim man" for Umbreen instead, showcasing just how deeply the tension between the two groups lay. The demons themselves confront the Doctor, warning her that if she does not leave with her companions then "we will stand over your corpses", and so she reacts as the Doctor always will to a threat: by immediately charging headfirst into it! She steals the transmat locks that have been keeping people from stumbling onto their "hive"and reverse engineers them to block the demons themselves from coming anywhere near Prem and Umbreen's homes. She steals the cannister of "dust" to examine it further for the information the demons (now identified as Thijarians, an ancient race of assassins rarely seen and never actually encountered by the Doctor before, which is a convenient way of introducing new aliens!) won't give her, creating time to think and plan. Included among all this is a lovely little bit between the Doctor and Yaz where the latter points out that the Doctor has constantly been harping on not interfering, with the Doctor kind of shrugging and noting that "the alien assassins started it!".

Here is where the story really feels the conflict between the fantastical science fiction elements and the mundane horror of actual history though. Learning that the Doctor has brought the homestead 12-18 hours where the "demons" can't reach them, Umbreen declares that this will allow the marriage to take place as planned. The idea here is to show Umbreen's stubborn streak, which is still evident in her decades later in Sheffield, but it creates a weird disconnect where the next chunk of the episode follows the group broken up by gender to celebrate with the bridge and groom respectively, with the aliens seemingly entirely forgotten or just dismissed as irrelevant so everybody can talk through the (frankly more interesting) hopes and fears they have for the marriage, for themselves, and for their country which has been unexpectedly (except for Manish) suddenly divided into two with Umbreen and her mother now considered Pakistanis while Prem and Manish remain Indians.

Manish makes for a fascinating character, and part of where Vinay Patel's writing really shines, because his character remains consistent across the episode even when his actions appear inconsistent. There is a depressing sense of realism to his revealed fanaticism, and how he shifts from a friendly, understanding and even loving desire for the safety of Umbreen and her mother to open contempt and a willingness to kill or allow others to kill to achieve the goals he has been convinced will finally resolve long held grievances. Interestingly (and again, depressingly accurate) his hate was seemingly born out of the mistreatment and high-handed approach of the British to his countrymen, and yet its focus has been turned on the Muslim population of his own countrymen. He appears to hold no active malice towards Graham or the Doctor outside of warnings they should take their opportunity to leave, because he has been radicalized to a point where he has successfully "other-ed" people he has known his entire life. When Umbreen later openly praises the hard work and dedication he put into working the land to help them all while Kunal and Prem were serving in the war, he sneers that he did it for his family and not them, but it's clear that Umbreen IS his family, a fact he now hates himself for and has tried to prevent becoming a reality. That same family he is supposedly fighting for he actively ends by calling in local Hindu men and standing with them against Prem at the climax of the episode, meaning in the end he achieves his goal of ridding his homestead of the Muslims who he grew up with, worked alongside, and loved as family... and is left with nothing but himself and his ideology, having lost one brother to the war and the other to his own actions. This is just one of many horror stories of the Partition, wholesale slaughter and misery and pain that did not need to happen.

Standing alone, the scenes of the Doctor and Yaz "celebrating" with Umbreen and her mother while Graham and Ryan do the same with Prem and Manish are good ones. Yaz, still fighting her instincts that this is all wrong, gets to hear Umbreen talk lovingly about Prem and realize he was not just "some other man" or in some way a betrayal of her grandfather who Umbreen has not even met yet. We get one of the few direct references to the Doctor's changed gender as she delights to getting a Henna Tattoo (Umbreen criticizes her mother's work, and amusingly in the future Nani Umbreen unknowingly repeats the criticism), and the Doctor provides a solution of sorts to Umbreen's dilemma by agreeing to make the marriage "respectable" by overseeing it in place of the murdered Holy Man, again quietly admitting to Yaz that she is the one who has ended up interfering despite her own warnings. "Only a teensy bit!" she assures Yaz though.

Things are rougher for the men, where Manish gets a bit more open about his opposition to the marriage, now that - unknown to Prem and the others of course - his hopes that the declaration of the borders and the death of the Holy Man would convince them to call it off. Again, all good stuff, but these scenes can't stand alone because they exist within the context of the episode, and all of the above has happened despite the appearance of what appears to be literal demons murdering people and vanishing and reappearing at will, a fact largely seemingly dismissed by characters who should be having their entire worldview obliterated (on top of having it obliterated by the declaration of the borders in the first place). Graham, Ryan and Yaz of course have an excuse not to be thrown off by the appearance of aliens, but regular people in the late 1940s? But an honest effort is made to tie these things together, as the Thijarians break through the lock the Doctor put up and spirit her away in a fantastic bit of framing/editing.

In another scene that by itself is very strong, the Doctor discovers the truth about the Thijarians and a reminder that things aren't what they seem (which does fit with the general theme of the episode). They WERE assassins, but when their homeworld was destroyed unexpectedly, the enormity of all that loss of life drove them to a new mission: to be there for those who die alone. It's a lovely sentiment, the people whose purpose was to kill changing that purpose to ensure nobody is ever truly forgotten/dies alone. They didn't kill the Holy Man, they simply bore witness to his death. Millions more are about to die during the Partition, and they will be there to observe those who die alone, to use their "dust" to collect the tiniest fragment of their DNA and add them to a repository remembering all those who passed. That this is a repition of what Testimony does in Twice Upon a Time is irrelevant meta-knowledge for a viewer of the show, for the Thijarians this is a calling and a purpose.

This leads to an interesting reaction from the Doctor, which ties back in part to her earlier warnings to Yaz about interference and our own memories of Rose's disastrous emotion-led action in Father's Day. She is willing to accept she was wrong, to take onboard new information and change her mind, to accept that she was was making assumptions about a race based on hearsay and assumptions (to be fair,"We will stand over your corpses" isn't the best way to put things!) which is entirely keeping with the ideas expressed re: the Partition. But when they show her that they've remained to witness Prem's death, something she and Yaz must have been aware on some level HAD to be the end result of all this, her immediate reaction is to ask them to give him more time. It's a silly thing to say, and the Thijarians tells as much, pointing out that they're not Gods, they haven't decided he's going to die, they're here because he does. But this wasn't bad writing ignoring that the Doctor of course would know that too, because the Doctor immediately admits she knows that. But her reaction wasn't a logical one, nor should it have been. Her reaction was that same emotional impetus that made Rose leap in to push her father out of the way of that car. This is part of why she warned Yaz how dangerous it was to go back in your own timeline, because knowing that you shouldn't do something is very different to your natural instinct to save or help people.

Last episode I spoke highly of the Doctor's status as somebody comfortable in all times and spaces as evidenced by her awareness of cultural norms and traditions outside the perspective of a 21st Century companion. This episode features one of my favorite ever moments of Whittaker's Doctor in that it shows her reaction to a cultural tradition she is NOT aware of. The Thijarians, who only moments earlier she thought were despicable assassins, make a gesture of remembrance for the forgotten dead. She has never met the Thijarians before, she does not know their traditions, she is receiving all of this as new information. But she immediately joins in and does the gesture herself, because one thing this Doctor is (was, her run over at the time of this writing) is open-minded. She takes in new ideas, she embraces different ways, she respects traditions and tries to be a part of them. Her delight over the Henna Tattoo could have been played for laughs around her line about not having as much fun when she was a man. Instead, coupled with scenes like this, it reminds us that she has an enthusiasm and a willingness to explore new ideas without allowing bias, prejudice or preconcieved notions to color her perception. In an episode about the Partition, that is a particular strong trait to present as aspirational.

https://i.imgur.com/tZD6kh8.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/9OkXVQQ.mp4

Basically from this point the Thijarians disappear until right towards the end of the episode, when they show up to bear witness to Prem's death as promised. What follows is both beautiful and heartbreaking, as Prem and Umbreen marry in a ceremony where each borrows a tradition from the other's culture: Umbreen ties their hands together with a rope in a nod to Prem's Hindu traditions, and Prem gifts Umbreen a watch as a mahr. When it falls and shatters, Umbreen's mother again cites it as evidence of a curse, but Yaz has her answer at last to why the watch she was gifted is broken, and Umbreen chooses the positive perspective by noting it has now frozen this perfect moment in time forever for them. That's a charming and lovely way to resolve the future that Yaz knows, which makes a later scene stand out all the more clumsily when we discover why Umbreen ended up traveling to Sheffield.

The happiness is as shortlived as they must have all known it would be, as Manish finally reveals his true colors and the Doctor admits that she discovered from the Thijarians that he was the one who murdered the Holy Man (justified in his mind by the Holy Man's agreement to join a Hindu and Muslim in marriage). The Doctor's reaction to Manish pulling a rifle on her is exceptional, she isn't intimidated or concerned in the slightest despite knowing he has murdered before, openly confronting him and showing her disdain for the cowardice inherit in his actions and his beliefs. When she learns though that he has summoned others to come to the homestead, she knows things have gotten too far out of hand for any words to change anything. This is something she already knew, as she's said all episode, they can't change Yaz's past and risk Yaz herself ceasing to be, but again the emotional reaction overrides the logical one sometimes, and it isn't until she hears the rifle being fired as she and the others escape that she has to face up to the fact that fate has finally caught up with Prem as she always knew it must.

Prem dies with dignity and, thanks to the Thijarians, not unwitnessed. He could have run with Umbreen, but one of the many tragedies of the Partition was that even if they had both escaped their marriage was likely doomed by the prejudices of others on either side of the border. He wanted a place where all could live together, and his dismay is evident when Manish declares that instead this madness is what Prem and Kunal fought for is palpable. He didn't fight in the war to kick Muslims out of India, he fought for a home where the people he loved could live together. Manish "wins" and loses everything, while Umbreen and her mother escape with their lives but lose their home and Umbreen's husband. He doesn't die at the hands of strangers, or the British, but his own countrymen, people knows, people he grew up with, one man he identifies as serving in the army with him. All of that history, all of that companionship, meaningless because of the great "crime" of loving a woman who has a different religious background to him. It's just one of millions of stories of loss and horror from a shameful period of British history, and any episode of television that shines a spotlight on it should be commended (as an aside, while the season kind of falls apart in the ending episodes, the Ms. Marvel TV series doing its own episode on The Partition gives a great insight into the madness and fear of the mass migration). There are few television depictions of The Partition, and while this one isn't perfect, just the fact that it covered it at all is a welcome step into hopefully making more people who don't have a family history irrevocably shaped by it aware of it.

https://i.imgur.com/IvHP3aQ.mp4

For an episode primarily about Yaz and her family, she plays a largely background role in what happens. Bradley Walsh actually oddly gets more highlighted moments in scenes where he offers support and advice to first Yaz and later Prem about living your life - Ryan is almost entirely a background character, but he got a lot of shine in the previous episode. But she gets to be the focus of the final scene, in a touching moment where she visits with her Nani again this time having far more context but wisely choosing not to use it. Instead she asks for assurances that this Umbreen - the one she has known all her life - lived a good and happy life as the Umbreen she met back in the past. Does she have regrets about Lahore and Sheffield? Did she really love the Grandfather that Yaz knew? Of course she did, Nani Umbreen admits that while of course there were problems, she is happy with how things turned out, even if Sheffield wasn't quite as exotic as she dreamed it would be! She offers to tell Yaz the story of the watch and Yaz wisely tells her no, she can tell her another time. Instead she focuses on what is important, telling her Nani that she loves her. Nobody should die alone and forgotten, but the most unexpected things can and will happen... so take the time to treasure the ones you love and don't be afraid to tell them that you love them. That's what Yaz does here, laying her head on her Nani and telling her she loves her, this Umbreen insulated somewhat by the decades from the pain still fresh in Yaz's mind.

Sometimes an episode is simply more than the sum of its parts. So to for Demons of the Punjab. It is an episode full of little problems you could pick away at forever, but they largely don't matter in how well the entire thing just ends up coming across. It's a wonderful episode full of heart, and that earnestness is endearing rather than off-putting. In these respects, it is arguably the pure opposite of the episode to follow, and boy howdy do I have some things to say about that... but this is about Demons of the Punjab, a great episode of Doctor Who even with all the obvious flaws highlighted and examined. It's just a really good episode!

Index of Doctor Who Write-ups for Television Episodes/Big Finish Audio Stories.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 12, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the checks on the gifs - bizarre about the Pertwee warning, I guess imgur took Ncuti Gatwa's description of Pertwee dressing like a slut to heart! :3:

Imgur doing some really weird things lately, for some reason in the write-up above it won't put the mp4s on the same line anymore and makes them stack. Oh well, hopefully we eventually get a SA solution to image hosting, imgur fixes their poo poo (unlikely now that the Venture Capitalists have got their hooks in) or a new reliable host shows up for a few years of good service before Venture Capitalists descend on it like locusts.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 12, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqdzrMiz5Y

:allears:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 11, Episode 6: Demons of the Punjab
Written by Vinay Patel, Directed by Jamie Childs

I wouldn't be surprised if "Demons" gets second place among Whittaker's stories in DWM's 60th Anniversary poll (with It Takes You Away coming first, obviously).

Then again, I also gave Eve of the Daleks the same rating as Demons, so what do I know? :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really liked Eve of the Daleks too! Though yes unfortunately the fact the comedy love interest subplot involved a dude who appeared to be a straight-up stalker :sigh:

It had me in such high hopes for the last two specials.... then we got Legend of the Sea Devils to follow it :cripes:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm just a sucker for a good time-loop story. :allears:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for the checks on the gifs - bizarre about the Pertwee warning, I guess imgur took Ncuti Gatwa's description of Pertwee dressing like a slut to heart! :3:

Imgur doing some really weird things lately, for some reason in the write-up above it won't put the mp4s on the same line anymore and makes them stack. Oh well, hopefully we eventually get a SA solution to image hosting, imgur fixes their poo poo (unlikely now that the Venture Capitalists have got their hooks in) or a new reliable host shows up for a few years of good service before Venture Capitalists descend on it like locusts.

There's a good chance that a lot of your images have been backed up in the great SA imgur backup that started when imgur announced it was gonna delete a bunch. Not the ones where you only linked the album, but since they scraped the entire forums for imgur image embeds, every gif you ever put in a post directly should be backed up in there.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The spider on Sarah’s back was 100% naked! Also, whatever tool they use may be registering the Cesar Romero Joker as a boob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's a good chance that a lot of your images have been backed up in the great SA imgur backup that started when imgur announced it was gonna delete a bunch. Not the ones where you only linked the album, but since they scraped the entire forums for imgur image embeds, every gif you ever put in a post directly should be backed up in there.

I was aware of the back-up project but it hadn't actually occurred to me that because I posted clickable jpg links that lead to the gifs/mp4s to avoid people having to scroll past a dozen or more animated images, they probably missed those files. Shouldn't be an issue (outside the weird 404 and Erotic Imagery warnings) since all the files are tied to my imgur account and I've got them all backed up anyway, but I'd kind of just blindly assumed SA had them all backed up now too.

Narsham posted:

The spider on Sarah’s back was 100% naked! Also, whatever tool they use may be registering the Cesar Romero Joker as a boob.

Found the lewd Tom Baker gifs! Very saucy!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I got the few 404s, but never triggered any erotic image warnings (just went and checked; I did not have 'show mature' turned on)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The blu-ray set we all knew was coming is finally announced!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1679490879634169864?s=46

And another promotional trailer

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1679491927862030337?s=46

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zaroff posted:

Gutted that they got stuck using that awful Chibnall era logo so all the boxsets have to match.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I like the Chibnall era logo :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I liked it just fine until the stink of wasting Jodie's run got all over it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I like the Chibnall era logo :colbert:

Someone had to.

I think the Chiball era logo might be my least favorite logo design the series has ever had other than the "Eh, just use whatever font we have laying around" season one logo. It's simultaneously chaotic and sloppy with the extensions of the characters while being rigid and harsh because of the design. There's no cohesive concept behind it and I think it just looks ugly.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I mean, look, at least it's not times new roman

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The logo from the Davies' first run looked like something I modeled in 3D Studio Max when I was fifteen to put in games I made in Click and Create.

It has freakin' stair-stepping on the edges and the lens flares don't move when it does. I'm far from a graphic artist, but it's embarrassing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the Whittaker logo is fine. It’s quirky, but fits with the show no problem. I think the logos on the Blu-ray sets should have been the relevant era, but this is also fine.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I think the logos on the Blu-ray sets should have been the relevant era
I super do too. Maybe it's a weird trademark thing. That wouldn't be a problem here, but I don't know how it works across the pond.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaroff posted:

I was gonna get it anyway of course but oh my God the roadtrip with Peter, Janet and Sarah looks amazing :lol:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Adric's rear end is NOT invited

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
£55 now for the blurays? Oof.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

£55 now for the blurays? Oof.

They're on sale constantly at US Amazon. I don't think I've ever paid more than 55% off regular price for any of them. I just picked up Colin Baker 1 the other day because it was 80% off.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Just a silly question that popped into my mind while reading another thread where the discussion of SCP-173, and then "Blink" came up (and I guess some monster in a video game that operates in the same way).

What happens if a blind/visually impaired person stumbles on an Angel? Are they just properly screwed the second an Angel detects them?

I've got issues with one of my eyes right now that would make the "blink one eye at a time" not very practical, so it got me thinking.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Didn't Amy go blind at one point in that two parter and had to pretend that she could see, and the angels slowly realised that she couldn't actually see and started moving a bit? Kinda messed up the ending of Blink, if their becoming stone was more of a choice when they think they're being seen rather than an automatic thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The blind/impaired would be killed instantly.
There's some sort of mental detection by them, knowing 'oh poo poo they can see me', going on.
Otherwise you could keep them locked with any painting, or a dead person with their eyes pried open.

Now theres a good idea, how about a person trying to fight them off wearing armor covered in human eyeballs.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

if Chibnall had any balls he'd have Tzim-Sha take eyeballs instead of teeth for this specific purpose

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

i have just learned that the Stenza currently have one (1) appearance in spinoff media and it's an offhand mention of how they got owned by the loving Raxicoricofallapatorians

quote:

The wider Stenza race, however, remained active conquerors. On 4 April 2304, they conquered Tivoli, wrestling control of it from the Voord. They were initially viewed by the Tivolians as heroes. They later lost the planet to the Raxacoricofallapatorian on 19 May 2311.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

armpit_enjoyer posted:

i have just learned that the Stenza currently have one (1) appearance in spinoff media and it's an offhand mention of how they got owned by the loving Raxicoricofallapatorians

Good. The Stenza were whole orders of magnitude a shitter creation than the farting aliens.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I literally had no idea what a Stemza was, or that Tzim-Sha was one.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Appreciate the replies folks, thanks! Yeah I forgot about that episode with Amy (I need to rewatch some of those, I've been sticking with classic lately).

If it's working human eyes that makes them halt, you could have one hella creepy Angel vs Cybermen story. Or maybe the androids on the Pompadour ("we need parts"), going full on body horror.

... heck, more I think about it, does it have to be human eyes? Since the reboot, Daleks have organic eyes now. If you got a Dalek to stare at them (they don't blink!), could you have an "uneasy truce" episode?

I'll take my paycheck in USD, Mr Davies, tia

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Well the ending of Blink, with those four angels supposedly trapped forever because they're all looking at each other would imply that an angel looking at another angel is enough, so its probably anything that views them. I think even a camera counted.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If it's working human eyes that makes them halt, you could have one hella creepy Angel vs Cybermen story.

I've always imagined a scene where The Doctor comes across a battlefield, and it's just thousands of Weeping Angel statues, and before each one stands a Cyberman, forever unmoving.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've got issues with one of my eyes right now that would make the "blink one eye at a time" not very practical, so it got me thinking.

Blinking one eye at a time does not work, as the Sixth Doctor discovered in "Wink".

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Davros1 posted:

I've always imagined a scene where The Doctor comes across a battlefield, and it's just thousands of Weeping Angel statues, and before each one stands a Cyberman, forever unmoving.

That would require writers to engage with the core concept of the Cybermen and thus far nobody but Steven Moffat seemed willing to do it (and even then he got bored with it halfway through The Doctor Falls)

I watched Earthshock the other night and it struck me just how... badly the Cybermen get handled even in what's considered their best TV stories. They're just Guys in Suits in their later appearances. Their whole concept works only when you acknowledge and explore the fact that despite what has been done to them, they're still people, not just interchangeable drones.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I literally had no idea what a Stemza was, or that Tzim-Sha was one.

It doesn’t help when the episode he was in sounds like someone trying and failing to name Bella Swan’s vampire baby.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

happyhippy posted:

The blind/impaired would be killed instantly.
There's some sort of mental detection by them, knowing 'oh poo poo they can see me', going on.
Otherwise you could keep them locked with any painting, or a dead person with their eyes pried open.

Now theres a good idea, how about a person trying to fight them off wearing armor covered in human eyeballs.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d0fe50b1ddcc12ab4cc26ffcd26b44d5/4eee30ca2d6844bb-93/s2048x3072/2cb387044f275e7948a3959331c24164eb6efbcc.pnj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Among the many stupid things about The Timeless Child was the notion that apart from that muddied bullshit from The Brain of Morbius, all those times the Doctor had their mind probed and we saw all versions of their past incarnations they always started at Hartnell.... but the loving teeth-monsters were so advanced that they were able to make some loving ribbons that could do a better job than Dalek or even Atraxi technology?

Davros1 posted:

This would be fantastic because a stalemate would be a total victory for the Cybermen, since so long as they are surviving* then they have won.

* They muzt survive. THEY MUZZZZT!