Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

"I will do anything to support the family I will never actually see or get to know."
JFC.

My old man got addicted to pain killers and stopped being functional and I had to help take care of my younger brothers and pay bills when I was in my 20s. We eventually got evicted from our home and almost ended up homeless if I didn't help pay for a rental. So I get that kind of trauma. I live deeply under my means and save up a lot for fear of it might happen again. But that is extreme, the only people who will remember you worked late 20 years from now will be your kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My mom burned through enough between being an owner-breeder and a couple syndicates that the IRS was skeptical of the business vs hobby determination and did a full audit. Their accountant’s office is like wall to wall horse stuff and I’m pretty sure that helps at least somewhat with the domain knowledge needed to make the “not a hobby” argument.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Then again equine legal and financial stuff in central Kentucky is probably fundamentally different from most areas, maybe it’s simple contract stuff most of the time?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mappo posted:

My old man got addicted to pain killers and stopped being functional and I had to help take care of my younger brothers and pay bills when I was in my 20s. We eventually got evicted from our home and almost ended up homeless if I didn't help pay for a rental. So I get that kind of trauma. I live deeply under my means and save up a lot for fear of it might happen again. But that is extreme, the only people who will remember you worked late 20 years from now will be your kids.

I guess I don't get that level of trauma. Back in 2019, I mobilized to Djibouti because I had an unexpected kid on the way and I wanted a big chunk of cash to pay off the house and start the unexpected second college fund. But that was about 10 months and then never again. I met two National Guard majors there who were on their third consecutive tour because if they kept renewing their orders, they'd hit retirement while on orders and start collecting the pension immediately instead of at 59 like normal guard and reserve. I felt bad enough missing the first year of my youngest daughter's life but felt it was worth it for her future but I could not imagine missing 3+ consecutive years of my kids' lives when I could work a normal job and still provide for them. No international vacations or private college tuition but still a comfortable middle class life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jonny Quest posted:

I know a guy that was a new grad working family law, a partner in another firm wanted to retire and handover her Rolodex of clients and for some reason, thought this guy would be perfect. But he wasn't interested in her niche and turned it down and is still doing grunt work years later.

That niche? Equine law.

His reason? "I don't like horses."

Bitch, you don't need to like horses. Do you know who needs lawyers for horse-trading? Royals, sheiks, super rich crazy-horse-girls' dads.

That's when I knew he was an idiot, even went to the same Tier 4 law school as Michael Cohen.

It's a lot less honorable than bird law though

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
THINGS ARENT GREAT

https://twitter.com/GoodPoliticGuy/status/1679131839481487364?t=JJeYTXONa4MQIWX1cDmnCA&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
here's the article, since it's not linked in that tweet (but in a reply to it later)

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

quote:

EXCLUSIVE, updated with AMPTP statement: Regardless of whether SAG-AFTRA goes on strike this week, the studios have no intention of sitting down with the Writers Guild for several more months.

“I think we’re in for a long strike, and they’re going to let it bleed out,” said one industry veteran intimate with the POV of studio CEOs.

With the scribes’ strike now finishing its 71st day and the actors’ union just 30 hours from a possible labor action of its own, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are planning to dig in hard this fall before even entertaining the idea of more talks with the WGA, I’ve learned. “Not Halloween precisely, but late October, for sure, is the intention,” says a top-tier producer close to the Carol Lombardini-run AMPTP.

While some dismiss this as just “cynical strike talk,” studio and streamer sources around town confirm the strategy. They also confirm that the plan to grind down the guild has long been in the works for a labor cycle that all sides agree is a game-changer one way or another for Hollywood.

“It’s been agreed to for months, even before the WGA went out,” one executive said. “Nobody wanted a strike, but everybody knew this was make or break.”

Receiving positive feedback from Wall Street since the WGA went on strike May 2, Warner Bros Discovery, Apple, Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Paramount and others have become determined to “break the WGA,” as one studio exec blatantly put it.

To do so, the studios and the AMPTP believe that by October most writers will be running out of money after five months on the picket lines and no work.

“The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil.”

The studios and streamers’ next think financially strapped writers would go to WGA leadership and demand they restart talks before what could be a very cold Christmas. In that context, the studios and streamers feel they would be in a position to dictate most of the terms of any possible deal.

The severe method comes out of the guild’s successful battle with the agencies in 2021 over dismantling the lucrative practice of packaging. The WGA picked off one agency after another until final holdout WME backed down, a tactic seen as a warning sign by many in the studio and streamer C-suites.

Convinced that “giving in,” as another insider put it, to the writers will result in every contract cycle from the WGA, IATSE, the Teamsters and more ending in a strike, the AMPTP is aiming for the bottom line.

Publicly, the AMPTP are refuting the so-called October surprise.

“These anonymous people are not speaking on behalf of the AMPTP or member companies, who are committed to reaching a deal and getting our industry back to work,” a spokesperson for the organization says.

Still, since the WGA called its first strike in 15 years in early May, there have been no discussions between the AMPTP and the guild despite persistent public guild offers to meet. Sources close to the AMPTP insist there has been no direct offer from the WGA leadership to resume talks.

Still, as pickets went up and productions shut down in the strike’s early weeks, studio bosses almost uniformly offered banal praise to the writers but no public proposals to get the them back to work. In the meantime, as network schedules shift to unscripted shows and streamers buy up foreign content, the studios and streamers have been saving money on shuttered productions and cost-cutting.

On a parallel track and reinforcing the AMPTP’s divide-and-conquer approach, negotiations with the Director’s Guild in late May proved a success, with ratification coming last month. Even if the 160,000-member SAG-AFTRA joins the WGA on the picket lines, the studios hope to get the actors back to the negotiating table in a few weeks.

A new SAG-AFTRA deal would not see production restart, but it could allow actors to promote projects already set for release. A move that studios hope would further the WGA going into the latter part of the year.

The WGA did not respond to request for comment today from Deadline. If or when they do we will update this post.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The article has gotten a shitton of pushback and solidarity enough so that apparently the people in charge of releasing the article were split on whether or not to and started screaming at each other after the reactions came in.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Is that part of the reason Netflix seems to be going all in on marketing Korean shows? Guessing if those get more popular would weaken union’s position as they’d have no influence over their production.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is that part of the reason Netflix seems to be going all in on marketing Korean shows? Guessing if those get more popular would weaken union’s position as they’d have no influence over their production.

It might be, as far as I know, they are the only big streaming service that has had Korean and now Chinese dramas. Their original content hasn't been hitting like it used to, so I think they are just trying to find the next Squid Games.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Netflix threw the stupid-money at them even before the massive success of Squid Game. They went absolutely hog wild with it afterwards, but the push came well before the strike, and it's still part of the current iteration/surge of Hallyu or Korean Wave.
Producing and marketing Korean shows is particularly "lucrative" (quotation marks because let's not pretend Netflix isn't still burning cash like there's no tomorrow) because the Korean government and ministry of culture didn't just open the money-faucet, they straight up broke it the gently caress off.

/edit:
I've been hoovering up Netflix' Korean content for like three years now and there are some amazing shows on there in every genre, from straight-up good to silly-entertaining.
Some stand-outs have been The Silent Sea (sci-fi), but the uncut Heroin of Korean shows is revenge-dramas, and no-one goes as hard in that genre as Koreans do.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 13, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

but the uncut Heroin of Korean shows is revenge-dramas, and no-one goes as hard in that genre as Koreans do.

DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies.gif

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
lol gently caress that if I'm paying for a vacation you bet your rear end I'm going on it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Stultus Maximus posted:

I guess I don't get that level of trauma. Back in 2019, I mobilized to Djibouti because I had an unexpected kid on the way and I wanted a big chunk of cash to pay off the house and start the unexpected second college fund. But that was about 10 months and then never again. I met two National Guard majors there who were on their third consecutive tour because if they kept renewing their orders, they'd hit retirement while on orders and start collecting the pension immediately instead of at 59 like normal guard and reserve. I felt bad enough missing the first year of my youngest daughter's life but felt it was worth it for her future but I could not imagine missing 3+ consecutive years of my kids' lives when I could work a normal job and still provide for them. No international vacations or private college tuition but still a comfortable middle class life.

Yeah it's a different kind of poor. homelessness in particular but also anything meaningfully close to homelessness or real hunger usually impacts people for most of the rest of their lives. there's both a life and death element of it and also an awareness that even if you later have what you need, you're still one catastrophe or string of bad luck away from everything imploding and things being life and death again. at some point it stops being rational, but idk it's also fairly true that things always could fall apart. like yeah you can lose a job, but you can also just get hit by a car and end up paralyzed and unable to provide for yourself and your family and so on. So while it eventually becomes an anxiety, that is to say not a healthy rational response, by the time you're economically stable enough that it is merely an anxiety as opposed to a reality, kids are half grown up or w/e.

If yall remember your depression era grandparents or great grandparents having a bunch of weird habits of stockpiling or hoarding certain things it's probably from the above. that stuff sticks with people for so long.

People who are very well off who still spend so little time around family I really do not get and will never get. I mentioned above that I used to know some nyc lawyers who were around so little that their kids spoke their nanny's language before they learned english and those were people with Ivy league educations who worked at prominent manhattan firms. idk poo poo is insane to me, but also NYC does some really wild things to what people believe to be 'enough' and it seemed particularly common for people there to be objectively well off, but they'd be around enough very rich people that they never self-identified as being well off. idk I'm very much not a nyc person so I'm speaking very much as an outsider, it just left a helluva impression on me as someone who grew up in a house where for several years my parents couldn't afford furniture.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 13, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Arrath posted:

Civilization was a mistake

You're reminding me of one of my favorite X-Files episodes, with the "reverse werewolf".

A cryptid humanoid forest creature who lives a carefree and peaceful existence gets bitten by a human. Thereafter he periodically becomes human at times, and while in human form he wants human things. And in the process he's slowly losing himself as he deals with the few benefits and many horrors of human existence. He wears clothes, gets a job, rents an apartment, buys "stuff", etc and meanwhile oscillates through these self-loathing phases where he just wants to tear off his clothes and run back into the forest and never turn human again. Ultimately he seeks death as deliverance from his curse.

It's a kind of out-there concept episode and I have no idea how popular it was as a result but it's a loving masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
rhys darby and kumail nanjiani playing their respective roles in that one made a great story into an all time great episode. everyone should go watch it. it's probably my favorite episode they ever did.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Netflix threw the stupid-money at them even before the massive success of Squid Game. They went absolutely hog wild with it afterwards, but the push came well before the strike, and it's still part of the current iteration/surge of Hallyu or Korean Wave.
Producing and marketing Korean shows is particularly "lucrative" (quotation marks because let's not pretend Netflix isn't still burning cash like there's no tomorrow) because the Korean government and ministry of culture didn't just open the money-faucet, they straight up broke it the gently caress off.

/edit:
I've been hoovering up Netflix' Korean content for like three years now and there are some amazing shows on there in every genre, from straight-up good to silly-entertaining.
Some stand-outs have been The Silent Sea (sci-fi), but the uncut Heroin of Korean shows is revenge-dramas, and no-one goes as hard in that genre as Koreans do.

Korean shows are great. I could trawl through my netflix history if anybody is interested in a big honkin list of recommendations from some random guy on the internet. A bunch of good period dramas and detective/prosecutor/police shows.

Arrath posted:

The Glory, My Name, and Hyena are the ones that I can think of that were specifically revenge dramas.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ZombieApostate posted:

Korean shows are great. I could trawl through my netflix history if anybody is interested in a big honkin list of recommendations from some random guy on the internet. A bunch of good period dramas and detective/prosecutor/police shows.
[quote]

Netflix has a history? :stare:

If so, fire away, would love to compare your list to mine.

[quote]
The Glory, My Name, and Hyena are the ones that I can think of that were specifically revenge dramas.

Can absolutely recommend My Name and The Glory.
The latter gets loving dark.

Arrath posted:

I can't really get into details without spoiling, but Korean writers will come up with poo poo to compensate for a lack of visual gore/violence that is on an entirely different level than what most folks are used to from western shows.
Some of the plotlines have me wanting to call up the screenwriters to ask if they're okay.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

train to busan loving owned too

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
And the vengeance trilogy

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Eyes Have It posted:

You're reminding me of one of my favorite X-Files episodes, with the "reverse werewolf".

A cryptid humanoid forest creature who lives a carefree and peaceful existence gets bitten by a human. Thereafter he periodically becomes human at times, and while in human form he wants human things. And in the process he's slowly losing himself as he deals with the few benefits and many horrors of human existence. He wears clothes, gets a job, rents an apartment, buys "stuff", etc and meanwhile oscillates through these self-loathing phases where he just wants to tear off his clothes and run back into the forest and never turn human again. Ultimately he seeks death as deliverance from his curse.

It's a kind of out-there concept episode and I have no idea how popular it was as a result but it's a loving masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

I don't remember that one at all but it sounds fantastic. Happen to have an episode name? Maybe I can find it on YouTube or surf the pirate-y seas or something.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Arrath posted:

They're old by now, but maybe twenty years ago people pointed me to Old Boy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Mrs. Vengeance.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

here's the article, since it's not linked in that tweet (but in a reply to it later)

https://deadline.com/2023/07/writers-strike-hollywood-studios-deal-fight-wga-actors-1235434335/

Yeah, the Screen Actors Guild authorized a strike vote for this morning, which probably passes. Actors were already everywhere supporting striking writers, now it's going to get even more noisy. Still no idea when the executives will finally have enough.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't remember that one at all but it sounds fantastic. Happen to have an episode name? Maybe I can find it on YouTube or surf the pirate-y seas or something.

I didn’t remember it either. Looks like it’s part of the new series I never saw

https://thatshelf.com/the-x-files-mulder-scully-meet-the-were-monster-review/amp/

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Arrath posted:

Taxi Driver is a pretty fun introductory series to the revenge drama.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

https://thatshelf.com/the-x-files-mulder-scully-meet-the-were-monster-review/amp/

If you don't want to commit to a full (re)watch of the X-files, the pro-tip is to watch all episodes written by Darin Morgan.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Hyena is generally much less serious and more "I'm gonna get revenge with the LAW", now that I think about it. So maybe it doesn't quite fit the mold. Still a good watch, though.

edit: oh you said you wanted a list, lemme get on that.

Stranger, Bad Guys, Money Heist: Korea, The Good Detective, Under the Queen's Umbrella, Lawless Lawyer, The King's Affection, All of Us Are Dead, Kingdom, Live, Hellbound, Beyond Evil, Tunnel, Signal, Space Sweepers, The Glory, My Name, Hyena, Vincenzo, Chief of Staff, Day and Night, Designated Survivor: 60 Days, The King: Eternal Monarch, My Country, Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung, Mr. Sunshine.

That's the last couple years worth that I've watched and liked. All sorts of nonsense in there.

Also, you can find your netflix history in your account settings, under the profile and parental controls section if you expand your user.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 13, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Taxi Driver is a pretty fun introductory series to the revenge drama.

Lol a buddy is friends with one of Paul Schrader‘s kids and was notified that Schrader was annoyed at Joker ripping off Taxi Driver & winning big at the Oscars while he’s never won any. Bummer First Reformed was barely nominated that was excellent.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ooh looks like it’s on Hulu, will watch today.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CD has a Korean movie thread, although its been kind of dead it has some good recs / discussion. Bit old now but "New World" is an excellent film, lot of influence from the Chinese inspiration for "The Departed" and has what were at the time up and coming but now pretty famous Korean actors in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rln9Hx_wPFw

Great gangster flick imo.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
If you have any Korean detective/police show recommendations I'd be interested.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It’s rare that you gotta hand it to the Oscars but Parasite winning best picture counts. Although bummer they didn’t get any acting nominations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Mappo posted:

Stranger, Beyond Evil, Live, The Good Detective, Bad Guys, Day and Night, Signal, and Tunnel are the police/prosecutor/detective shows from the list I edited in earlier. Roughly in order from best to also best, but I liked all of them a lot.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Somewhat unrelated but good, sympathy for lady vengeance, old boy, and sympathy for mr vengeance

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Oh man I had totally forgotten about that episode, but it was wonderful. One of the best of the revival, no doubt.

quote:

Everyone's recommendations

Solid, thanks everyone. I have some stuff to browse once I get a tv again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mappo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_Job

gently caress up cops go undercover running a fried chicken restaurant across from a place they are staking out. Restaurant ends up being a hit which makes most of the cops consider just running the restaurant instead. It's a funny comedy but just know that Korean stuff goes in a little harder on campiness in humor than US stuff. It's not too over the top though, legit decent comedy movie in the end.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Signal is mentioned in other dramas, ie "What do you think this is, an episode of Signal?" Etc.

I especially like that Korean tv & movies embrace science fiction and go full hog on everything.

Need to get back at the evil corporation in league with corrupt politicians? Here, you might need cybernetics and bio-tech to stick it to them properly. Play by the rules though, or we'll switch things off to get you to behave. Until we can't. Uh oh.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

train to busan loving owned too

Also the good the bad and the weird.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
SAG is officially striking.

The first AI generated movie will release next week.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

McNally posted:

SAG is officially striking.

The first AI generated movie will release next week.

But Ready Player One came out like 3 years ago