Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve seen Chalamet in like 3 movies and I’m already done with him, I feel like I’ve seen the full range of what he can do and I’m not that impressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AceOfFlames posted:

It's incredible how every single DC movie this year seems to be actively competing to be the biggest bomb.

Jamie doesn't deserve this :(

Blue Beetle doesn't look great but it is not in competition for that title.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

At the very least it's extremely clear Wonka will be this year's Cats in that everybody will collectively come together to dunk on it. That's true holiday warmth.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I think it’s more likely nobody will care and it will come and go quietly. Doesn’t look weird enough to be a Cats.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Also, Cats was good actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is his best work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWefB4NGGI

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think it’s more likely nobody will care and it will come and go quietly. Doesn’t look weird enough to be a Cats.

Yeah this more has the feeling of a Netflix original Christmas movie for kids.

Parkingtigers posted:

This is a fridge too far, for me.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

thrawn527 posted:

This is a fridge too far, for me.

That's not very Jellicle of you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Release the Oompa Loompa butthole cut

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Parkingtigers posted:

That's not very Jellicle of you.

I still don't know what that means.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

Listen, I think Kung Pow is high cinema so maybe ignore me but Cats is only good in a holy poo poo this is terrible way. I mean I saw the rough cut with the regular hands three times in the theater though so maybe it was working as intended

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mantis42 posted:

Starring Lily Rose Depp as Wonka

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

thrawn527 posted:

I still don't know what that means.

It's not hard. Jellicles can and Jellicles do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’ve seen Chalamet in like 3 movies and I’m already done with him, I feel like I’ve seen the full range of what he can do and I’m not that impressed

:lol:

To each their own but ok - dude can act circles around anything. Even his bits on SNL was loving great. Wonka just seems like a bad match with the Paddington crew.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think Timmy C is fine, he's a bimbo for sure but def has some chops and is by no means bad. I think he was well cast in Dune, dunno about every movie he's done tho. He's no Ryan Gosling, but people used to talk mad poo poo about that guy, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's a lot of very poor decisions to be dazzled by in Cats, but one that's always gotten to me is that Hooper seemed to completely miss the joke that's underlying the entire premise of the play, which is that... they're cats. None of them are lying, but... they're cats. They are puffed up with self-importance and think the entire world revolves around them, because they are cats. The housecat isn't lazy, it's training the roaches and mice (which wouldn't be there at all if it was doing its job) to be productive members of society. At night, when you're asleep! That's why you don't notice. The magic cat is magic because every time you go looking for it, you can't find it. It disappeared with its marvelous magic! The railway cat isn't napping in the sun next to the window, it is counting all the trains that go by; a valuable service, one that without it would cripple the railyard. The crime cat pushes a glass off a table and walks away, a Moriarty in its own mind. That's the loving joke. The really, really obvious joke.

And Hooper was like "hmmm no I'm pretty sure they're telling the literal truth, let's play everything deadly straight".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

There's a lot of very poor decisions to be dazzled by in Cats, but one that's always gotten to me is that Hooper seemed to completely miss the joke that's underlying the entire premise of the play, which is that... they're cats. None of them are lying, but... they're cats. They are puffed up with self-importance and think the entire world revolves around them, because they are cats. The housecat isn't lazy, it's training the roaches and mice (which wouldn't be there at all if it was doing its job) to be productive members of society. At night, when you're asleep! That's why you don't notice. The magic cat is magic because every time you go looking for it, you can't find it. It disappeared with its marvelous magic! The railway cat isn't napping in the sun next to the window, it is counting all the trains that go by; a valuable service, one that without it would cripple the railyard. The crime cat pushes a glass off a table and walks away, a Moriarty in its own mind. That's the loving joke. The really, really obvious joke.

And Hooper was like "hmmm no I'm pretty sure they're telling the literal truth, let's play everything deadly straight".

I have never understood the fascination with the original musical, which I've never seen, before this post.

I'm rethinking everything

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's silly and families like it, as far as I can tell

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

I have never understood the fascination with the original musical, which I've never seen, before this post.

you best be gettin on some skimbleshanks motherfucker

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think Timmy C is fine, he's a bimbo for sure but def has some chops and is by no means bad. I think he was well cast in Dune, dunno about every movie he's done tho. He's no Ryan Gosling, but people used to talk mad poo poo about that guy, too.

I mean yeah, I guess what I didn’t articulate in my post is that he’s Fine. He’s not the next great American actor or anything, he’s not bad, but he’s in everything and presented to us like we should be paying special attention to him even though he’s got a pretty narrow range.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

kiimo posted:

There's no plot whatsoever. Sum total of the story is that the Jellicle tribe of cats (never explained) are getting together to decide who goes to the Heaviside Layer (never explained, seems to be something they want), so everyone who wants to go takes a turn getting up and singing a song about how awesome they are. At the end, the sad cat is chosen. That's it. Apart from crime cat kidnapping the boss cat (which in the play he does for no apparent reason other than to be a dick and, mostly, as setup so the magic cat can bring him back as his big magic trick), all the plot in the movie is stuff Hooper grafted on because, again, there is no plot in the musical. Because there's no plot and no story, you don't need to follow anything, there's no chance you're going to be offended or confused, you can just sit back and watch an unending parade of musical numbers. It's pure spectacle. Whole families can enjoy it together. gently caress, even if you don't speak English, you're not actually gonna miss all that much.

The cats interact with the audience somewhat. They're aware that they're being watched, they address the crowd, sometimes they move out into it. This was groundbreaking stuff in the 80s.

But mostly it's that the songs are catchy and the coreography is great, and there's a massive difference between watching a CGI puppet and an actual human body in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GopStZ8_Xo

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 12, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I mean yeah, I guess what I didn’t articulate in my post is that he’s Fine. He’s not the next great American actor or anything, he’s not bad, but he’s in everything and presented to us like we should be paying special attention to him even though he’s got a pretty narrow range.

Yeah, it's just the way The Deciders work, the perverts who elevate careers in that Lynchian 'this is the girl' kind of way, and Chalamet's on that train for the moment. The culture industry just destroys people, but some folks come out the other side looking even better, like Keanu or Pattinson.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CapnAndy posted:

Holy poo poo...do I understand the musical Cats now? Or, at least some of it?

And hate the movie even more?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Chalamet was extremely funny in Bones and All but I'm not sure how much was intentional

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cats also definitely had a very sexual undertone with the costumes, which was simultaneously camouflaged and amplified, in a sort of proto-furry/cat-girl way, by the cat thing.

It's also a very cat owner thing to talk to them and imagine silly little stories and personalities for them, so even though the whole thing is pretty vapid and mystifying today, the show did work on multiple levels, and you could point to Memories and maybe a couple of the other songs to say it was a legit musical as you watched 20yo braless dancers jump around in white leotards and cat ears.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cats the movie is queer as hell

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Taylor Swift achieved her dream of playing a cat.

I wish we got the animated version Spielberg was going to produce in the 90s, where the cats are portrayed as actual cats.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Xc4qq-5Ww

I'm here for this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he looks like my dad...wtf

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think they spent the entire budget for that movie on the trailer sound effects.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Oh boy RED 3

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This looks extremely predictable, yet very very watchable for Cage, Hudson and Perlman.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New A24 movie called Medusa Deluxe

It's murder mystery whodunit about hairstylists that all takes place in a single shot (really it's several very long shots cleverly edited together, but you know what I mean).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImiVecy6sQ

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOsIKu2VAkM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wonder if they beat the soviets.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if they beat the soviets.
I must admit that the trailers, at least, attempting to wring some suspense from "will they light the entire atmosphere on fire and kill all living beings on Earth" amuses the poo poo out of me. (Yes, I know it was something they genuinely worried about.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no thank you, im just going to watch miracle mile again

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CapnAndy posted:

I must admit that the trailers, at least, attempting to wring some suspense from "will they light the entire atmosphere on fire and kill all living beings on Earth" amuses the poo poo out of me. (Yes, I know it was something they genuinely worried about.)

instant five star rating from me if that actually happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
especially if Nolan does it with practical effects