Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tristesse posted:

Sure! He's an droolie cantankerous little grump so the namesake fits.

https://imgur.com/a/R1WJN2L

Uncle Baby Daisy should start on Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Note of appreciation for how this show handles showing violence. There's bunch of comedy in it, like the Lisson's deaths at the end of S2, and Jason Schwartzman's whole thing, but this show has taken a note from Fargo and doesn't present the effects of it as funny at all.

quote:

Noah Hawley.: I never want violence to be entertainment. Thinking about Fargo, with the Coen brothers as a model, the violence in their movies is always sudden and always gruesome. My approach in Fargo has been that violence onscreen is a useful way to help the viewer examine what they wanted to happen. You thought you wanted violence because we're trained to want violence, but what if the violence is ugly and awful? It's not so easy, I hope, to root for one person to kill another person.

With the Lisson's them trying to imitate a movie scene of jumping out of a closet thrown off a second story is comedic, but then she gets blown apart and man you can't help but feel sorry for her. There's a brutality to a lot of it that it's appreciated, I guess is what I'm saying.

End of this episode hit in that way, where there was no goofs to it. No dynamic camera angles, just a guy committing a petty crime that went too far.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 10, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's always interesting the way that McBride etc can turn your sympathies around. Peter ultimately just wanted a little bit of something to make sure that his kids didn't have to live in poverty and was taken advantage of by the same people who then wanted to make it right. There's an interesting parallel with Eli and Peter with May May saying that Eli was always greedy when chances are he just didn't want to live in poverty either.

As noted, they even add shades to Amy-Lee who was complicit in the Y2K scam even though it's clear that they never acknowledged to eachother that's what it was. I don't think she wants to live in poverty either, but I think she was being earnest when she talked about wanting a simpler time for their kids.

And the way this show works I really was expecting that kid that Jesse humiliated to come back in some fashion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I thought it was really interesting how giving the money back was never an option for Eli. He and Aimee only go forward, never back.

Agreed that the younger gemstones are the best young versions of any character in TV history. I think it’s easier when Judy and Jesse are so specific with their voices, dialogue and mannerisms, but Young Jessie’s voice is so identical it’s downright spooky.

Also, the interview did its job, there are no questions about the opening scene of the season. We know exactly why Eli’s sister did what she tried to do. I guess the question is who drove the car, but my outside guess is Judy.

Edit: re-watching intermission one, they’ve been using the “praise the Lord” intro song for at least 35 years.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 10, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DrVenkman posted:

It's always interesting the way that McBride etc can turn your sympathies around. Peter ultimately just wanted a little bit of something to make sure that his kids didn't have to live in poverty and was taken advantage of by the same people who then wanted to make it right. There's an interesting parallel with Eli and Peter with May May saying that Eli was always greedy when chances are he just didn't want to live in poverty either.

As noted, they even add shades to Amy-Lee who was complicit in the Y2K scam even though it's clear that they never acknowledged to eachother that's what it was. I don't think she wants to live in poverty either, but I think she was being earnest when she talked about wanting a simpler time for their kids.

And the way this show works I really was expecting that kid that Jesse humiliated to come back in some fashion.

The way I thought about it was that she would be happy to live a simpler life, but only if everyone else had to as well. So if Y2K did destroy the world, she'd be fine living off the bucket rations and not having fancy things. But she would never give up her fancy lifestyle while there were other people still living in such a way.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Aimee-Leigh joining Eli at the end and getting them to stop protesting feels like a Rubicon crossing for her, who refused to take the dirty money in the last flashback in 1993. Is the flashback at the top of the season the only time we've seen her smoking? I'm very curious to see what she's like in subsequent interludes after this moment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s cool that the most Serious character on this season of an absurd comedy is played by Ivana Humpalot.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
3rd rock from the sun is still sneaky good

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

3rd rock from the sun is still sneaky good

Holy poo poo that's where I recognise her from. Have spent every episode she's in going "this feels familiar but why...."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Golden Bee posted:

I thought it was really interesting how giving the money back was never an option for Eli. He and Aimee only go forward, never back.

Yeah I kept waiting for him to say they were going to give everyone their money back, which would've been an easy win for Eli but would've been extra cruel to Peter because everyone would've got their money back except him.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Fuckin hell yeah of course Jesse would wear fubu

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Fuckin hell yeah of course Jesse would wear fubu

Also lol at young Judy wearing one of those bandana tops.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s cool that the most Serious character on this season of an absurd comedy is played by Ivana Humpalot.

I knew the actress since her introduction at the start of the season but it didn’t dawn on me until now that actors who played Fred and Wilma Flintstone are now playing siblings.

Yes, I know it was different movies, put the well actually away.

Also, Gideon probably got conceived a year to two after this episode. He’s supposed to be like what, twenty years old?

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 11, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I bet that kid is the band dude Judy hooked up with. Same sense of style, musically talented, has a vendetta against Judy, clearly a dick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, I understand desperation, but to get it in your head that you can't go against your wife so instead you stage a very poorly planned armed robbery of a bank that results in a murder seems like a reach at the time for that character. I agree with comments earlier that apparently May-May is the true villain here.

All of the child actors absolutely nailed the performances of the older actors, good lord

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This is a show about poor impulse control. We don’t know everything about that character, but there is a gemstone distortion field which makes people act extremely eratically.

It’s super funny that uncle Baby Billy has been pitching the family on business ventures for more than 30 years.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is Eric Roberts coming back to help his old friend deal with all this crap

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look, I understand desperation, but to get it in your head that you can't go against your wife so instead you stage a very poorly planned armed robbery of a bank that results in a murder seems like a reach at the time for that character. I agree with comments earlier that apparently May-May is the true villain here.

All of the child actors absolutely nailed the performances of the older actors, good lord

Would YOU go against May-May when her first introduction to us was chasing down Aimee-Leigh?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mirotic posted:

Would YOU go against May-May when her first introduction to us was chasing down Aimee-Leigh?
We still need to find out what that was about

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We still need to find out what that was about

May May says the same thing she says in the premiere to Aimee-Leigh in this episode, that she sees right through her. She views - rightly! - that Aimee-Leigh enables Eli's outright greed by putting a more honest and believable veneer on it. The protesters weren't buying what Eli was saying at the end until Aimee-Leigh came out. The only difference is that by the premiere, Peter is now in prison after the failed robbery and killing the dude - which May May likely blames on the Gemstones.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Wait, yeah, did Peter serve out a prison sentence, or has he been on the run this whole time? Did the militia members ever say what exactly they were being raided for/about? I assumed illegal guns, but maybe they were looking for Peter?

Apologies if I missed something!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Wait, yeah, did Peter serve out a prison sentence, or has he been on the run this whole time? Did the militia members ever say what exactly they were being raided for/about? I assumed illegal guns, but maybe they were looking for Peter?

Apologies if I missed something!

He had just recently gotten out of prison at the start of the season. I doubt most of the guns at that compound were legally held. Peter certainly wouldn’t be allowed to be around those firearms as a condition of his sentence.

It’s also clear they were planning a terrorist act.

I would assume that he didn’t get life because he was being shot at by the guard while running away, and he shot the guard to save his own life. We are taking a 30+ year sentence. He could also be an informant or something.

He’s been shown to be a spineless coward now with the flashback. And it wouldn’t surprise me if may may is running the show here with all this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Gotcha, I forgot they specifically mentioned that he just got out of prison! :hai: And now we know what he did to get a prison sentence.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

And it wouldn’t surprise me if may may is running the show here with all this.

I already suspected this, but yeah, this flashback episode totally confirmed it for me.

He could also be an informant or something.

Peter was an informant against his own militia compound. :tinfoil:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i hope the megachurch gets blowed up and they have to go back to worshiping God the old way

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

moist turtleneck posted:

i hope the megachurch gets blowed up and they have to go back to worshiping God the old way

I'd love a shot of the characters looking forlorn in silence surrounded by ash and rubble. All is lost, the parishioners have abandoned them, SEC and FTC or whoever take the church down for everything they have. Then quietly BJ just breaks into, "Praise the Lord, his righteousness at hand" as the rest join in.

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also, Gideon probably got conceived a year to two after this episode. He’s supposed to be like what, twenty years old?

McBride would have been 24 in 2000 vs the 16ish young Jesse, so the retrofit seems a little clumsy. Guessing they just wanted to do the y2k thing but also continue using the same young-version actors. Those kids are all great, so can't fault them there.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I took it as Jesse at age 18 or so, around freshman year of college

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yeah Jesse is off at college, that’s presumably where he met Amber and Judy mentions feeling lonely since he left

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He had just recently gotten out of prison at the start of the season. I doubt most of the guns at that compound were legally held. Peter certainly wouldn’t be allowed to be around those firearms as a condition of his sentence.

It’s also clear they were planning a terrorist act.

I would assume that he didn’t get life because he was being shot at by the guard while running away, and he shot the guard to save his own life. We are taking a 30+ year sentence. He could also be an informant or something.

He’s been shown to be a spineless coward now with the flashback. And it wouldn’t surprise me if may may is running the show here with all this.
You don't get to claim self-defense when you are in the active commission of a crime like armed robbery

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The math that really cracks me up is how old is Kelvin supposed to be. He looks the same at 4 years old and 11 years old.

That said I completely forgive them since no other actor could've said "Don't tell momma and daddeh" exactly as Kelvin correct as that kid does.

Edit: Duurrr Kelvin wasn't born yet in the first interlude I shouldn't try to think when I'm not awake.

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 12, 2023

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

ChesterJT posted:

Let's compromise: Jesse says feeeeeexins one time in an episode this season and it never comes up again.

Saying "crucifeeeeeexins" would be a lot more organic.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it really does feel to me like they're building toward May May and Peter still being in cahoots. I don't see them coming out of that scenario with Peter hating May May and May May fearful of him. And it'd definitely be a lot easier to build that commune from outside prison than in it.

I'm guessing May May used all the leftover Y2K poo poo to build up a survivalist commune. Maybe Peter did build up a militia following in prison, but it'd be funnier if they swerve that since they kinda just did that on Barry. I assume they're working together to do Big Terror and ensure the Gemstones downfall, with May May still actually still calling the shots.

The only real point against this is that it would be weird for them to play act with their two sons and cut one of their dudes ears off etc. rather than just say "go to the Gemstones compound as part of our plan" but I can see that being them wanting to make it convincing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That DICK! posted:

it really does feel to me like they're building toward May May and Peter still being in cahoots. I don't see them coming out of that scenario with Peter hating May May and May May fearful of him. And it'd definitely be a lot easier to build that commune from outside prison than in it.

I'm guessing May May used all the leftover Y2K poo poo to build up a survivalist commune. Maybe Peter did build up a militia following in prison, but it'd be funnier if they swerve that since they kinda just did that on Barry. I assume they're working together to do Big Terror and ensure the Gemstones downfall, with May May still actually still calling the shots.

The only real point against this is that it would be weird for them to play act with their two sons and cut one of their dudes ears off etc. rather than just say "go to the Gemstones compound as part of our plan" but I can see that being them wanting to make it convincing.

The sons are too stunted and dumb to not let it slip, IMO.

May may beat ami-Leigh with a wrench.

Peter shot and killed an innocent guard at a bank robbery.

I very much doubt they’re above cutting off a piece of their own sons ear.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

That DICK! posted:

My theory is that Chuck is in cahoots but Karl is just along for the ride. Karl has consistently been shown as more sympathetic towards the Gemstones, even as a kid.

There's also a bit of foreshadowing when they first meet Chuck at the compound and he tells them that God has a plan for each of them: "I know my role. Do you know yours?" At the time it just seems like generic cult militia propaganda stuff, but it might not be.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/TeW7iTZ.gifv

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/MsDUeSM.gifv

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I wanna see how Jesse assembled his sycophant team of Matthew/Levi/Gregory/Chad, how Kelvin originally saved Keefe's soul from Satan, and what made Judy fixate on BJ in Interlude 4.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

I wanna see how Jesse assembled his sycophant team of Matthew/Levi/Gregory/Chad, how Kelvin originally saved Keefe's soul from Satan, and what made Judy fixate on BJ in Interlude 4.

You and me both.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Thank you for this, truly blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This shot had my wife literally choking with laughter lol