Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

idgi

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
At one point in 2018, the only publicity Shannon Noll got was getting clocked at a gig by a punter throwing poo poo and ranting on stage.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

😍Hello sexy😍

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
literally my Tinder pic

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

webmeister posted:

literally my Tinder pic

Post your profile

If there's not a bunch of kangaroo puns you're dead to me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some more Australiana I made
This was for a large scale fabrication job which didn't go ahead so I finished it off myself cos I think they're a pretty bird :bird:
Carnaby's Black Cockatoo (Zanda latirostris) native to south western WA

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

EoinCannon posted:

This was for a large scale fabrication job which didn't go ahead so I finished it off myself cos I think they're a pretty bird :bird:

That's some top-tier work.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

This is incredible. How do you do this?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Blow posted:

First he pours latex over the bird to get an inverse mould

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

First he pours latex over the bird to get an inverse mould

I'm assuming you need to freeze the bird first?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
No wonder Carnaby's are going extinct.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blow posted:

It's a 3D model sculpted with zbrush, rendered in Redshift for 3dsMax
It was going to be 3d printed in parts to form a 7M statue for some installation, but the job didn't go ahead

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Blow posted:

I'm assuming you need to freeze the bird first?

The rigor mortis usually works but freezing does help

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The rigor mortis usually works but freezing does help

It's not dead, it's just restin'

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/pully8/status/1678608477093236736

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its WA, they don't have much else to do

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

It was going to be 3d printed in parts to form a 7M statue for some installation, but the job didn't go ahead

Shame. A 7M statue would have been awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EoinCannon posted:

Release it in whole, or parts, on Sketchfab. Let people 3D print it and make it at small scale!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Outrail posted:

Post your profile

If there's not a bunch of kangaroo puns you're dead to me

Sport: tie me down
Nickname: Skip
Hobbies: saving children from wells
Looking for: a roo t
Personality: bouncy
Movies: Kangaroo Jack
Favourite song: Jump Around - House of Pain

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Kill the dill with the pill, fark those were the days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've been there, not THAT surprising, though depressing. It's a lovely part of the world.

Also, 12 hours? Either there's some Great Outdoor Fight poo poo, or more likely it's the cops taking every opportunity to stop poo poo from actually settling down naturally.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah 100%, Kununurra is a very depressing town in a beautiful area. Purnululu is a genuine highlight of Australia and I wish more people could see it. Though it blows my mind that it was only “discovered” by white people in the 80s.

Agreed that a 12 hour brawl is some crazy poo poo, I wonder if they had lunch and tea breaks like in the cricket

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

webmeister posted:

Yeah 100%, Kununurra is a very depressing town in a beautiful area. Purnululu is a genuine highlight of Australia and I wish more people could see it. Though it blows my mind that it was only “discovered” by white people in the 80s.

Agreed that a 12 hour brawl is some crazy poo poo, I wonder if they had lunch and tea breaks like in the cricket

A 12 hour fight would require sending in different lines as other lines rotated out for a break/rest.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
like the christmas day truce of ww1, they had a smoko truce

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

webmeister posted:

Holy poo poo.

:stare:

Unique depositional processes and weathering have given these towers their spectacular black and orange banded appearance, formed by biological processes of cyanobacteria (single cell photosynthetic organisms) which serve to stabilise and protect the ancient sandstone formations. These outstanding examples of cone karst that have eroded over a period of 20 million years are of great beauty and exceptional geological interest.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bill Bryson's book described that as being to microbiologists like finding a grazing herd of live stegosaurus.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Microbiologists are always using that type of language. The only thing that's like finding live dinosaurs is finding live dinosaurs imho.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bill Bryson's book described that as being to microbiologists like finding a grazing herd of live stegosaurus.

Wasn’t that comment about the living stromatolite colonies in Shark Bay?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

webmeister posted:

Or possibly that, yeah.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Me and my microbiodork mate upon seeing an algae apartment building.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

webmeister posted:

Yeah. I think it's all about the geology.

Wikipedia posted:

The Bungle Bungle Range is one of the most extensive and impressive occurrences of sandstone tower (or cone) karst terrain in the world. The Bungle Bungles were a plateau of Devonian sandstone, carved into a mass of beehive-shaped towers with regularly alternating, dark gray bands of cyanobacterial crust (single cell photosynthetic organisms). The plateau is dissected by 100–200-metre (330–660 ft) deep, sheer-sided gorges and slot canyons. The cone-towers are steep-sided, with an abrupt break of slope at the base and have domed summits.

How they were formed is not yet completely understood.

Their surface is fragile but stabilized by crusts of iron oxide and bacteria. They provide an outstanding example of land formation by dissolutional weathering of sandstone, with removal of sand grains by wind, rain and sheet wash on slopes.

It's a fair distance.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah it’s insanely remote tbh. The main highway between WA and the Territory runs “nearby”, and it’s still a couple of hours drive from there in what’s already a lonely stretch between Hall’s Creek and Kununurra. Some insanely beautiful country up that way though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I visited Uluru in 2008 and the drive there from Alice Springs was surreal. A very scary "LAST SERVICES" sign, then many miles of desert and dingoes and dead camels and nothing. There was nothing on the FM radio dial, just static.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They put those signs up because tourists legit die out there from wildly underestimating the distances between everything.

Was the right idea to bring a whole buncha CDs for the road trip out there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It's kinda funny how Alice and Uluru go together in the popular imagination, like they're just near each other or something. Kinda blows people's minds when they find out it's nearly 500km drive!

I know it's a whole cliched "thing" about the distances and the emptiness and so on, but it's crazily true. We did an entire campervan lap of the country during Covid (roughly Sydney -> Geelong -> Adelaide -> Perth -> Broome -> Darwin -> Cooktown -> Sydney), and ended up covering over 25,000 kilometres. That's the distance from Berlin to Beijing. And back.

Despite the reputation, I didn't think the Nullarbor felt that remote, to be honest. Yeah it's a loving long drive, but there's a roadhouse every hour or so and there's always a steady stream of vehicles. Not a lot, but if you broke down you wouldn't have to wait long to wave for help. I actually think the most desolate stretch we did was probably the Barkley Highway from Tennant Creek across to Townsville. 1500 kilometres of basically nothing except Mt Isa, and then a small handful of towns like Julia Creek and Hughenden. We did that in essentially three days (plus a stop in Mt Isa) and gently caress I was glad when it was over.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

webmeister posted:

(roughly Sydney -> Geelong -> Adelaide -> Perth -> Broome -> Darwin -> Cooktown -> Sydney)

... and gently caress I was glad when it was over.

No-one goes through the bit in the middle :coal:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Blow posted:

I mean, there is really only one sealed road in that middle bit, the Stuart highway, which can occasionally (very rarely) close for a couple of hours when Woomera is doing missile tests overhead and MPs make you sit in your car until it opens.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Blow posted:

My wife had driven the Adelaide to Darwin route twice (once as a kid and once as an adult), and I’d been to Uluṟu just before covid, so we decided not to cut through.

And yeah that’s roughly the route we took, except we went down the Eyre peninsula, then turned south at Norseman to Albany/Esperance etc. We also took the coast road through WA via Shark Bay and Exmouth. And of course the Bruce and Pacific Highways down through QLD.