Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Kaddish posted:

Just started playing through this and concentrating on getting all the characters. It seems like the game strongly encourages specific parties to cover all paths but I've read that I'll need to level up all characters.

Can I just have my A team and occasionally rotate in/switch to the B team? Or do I really need to focus on level parity? Seems like a pain.

Anything I should focus on first, aside from getting everyone through their chapter 1?

You can certainly pick one team to focus on and then the next after doing their last chapters.

There's nothing to prioritize; I don't believe anything can be missed in a full playthrough. You can't do the end-game without all your characters' stories done so you'll likely have everyone around the same level by the end.

One thing to keep in mind is that equipment give much more of a boost to your stats than levels; if you want your story bosses to be more of a challenge you can scale down in that way, it's very easy to miss out on boss gimmicks and such late-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FireWorksWell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOAfSxHYx3M

Came across this today, it's a nice compilation of every character's themes. It's really tempting me to start another playthrough soon.

The other neat part of that video which I wouldn't have noticed in a normal playthrough is the script/language Octopath uses for its letters in the bottom right of the character selection screen. Osvald, Agnea and Temenos use the same font, Castti, Partitio and Throné use a different one, and then Hikari and Ochette have their own unique fonts.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I need to finish this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaddish posted:

Just started playing through this and concentrating on getting all the characters. It seems like the game strongly encourages specific parties to cover all paths but I've read that I'll need to level up all characters.

Can I just have my A team and occasionally rotate in/switch to the B team? Or do I really need to focus on level parity? Seems like a pain.

Anything I should focus on first, aside from getting everyone through their chapter 1?

You'll need to finish everyone's story and use everyone to beat the final boss, but otherwise there's nothing in particular you really need to do, so just do what feels fun. What I did was focus on recruiting all the characters first and then just wandered around doing what I felt like, switching my party around whenever I wanted to switch it up, and everything turned out fine.

There aren't any missables and late-game leveling is really fast so you can't really mess anything up.

One thing to note is that you'll eventually unlock the ability to give your characters secondary jobs, which really frees up your party composition, so you don't need to worry too much about specific combinations of characters for combat or anything like that.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Cool, thanks for the info everyone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played through the opening chapter of OT2 and so far my observations are that Throne is cool.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I've played through the opening chapter of OT2 and so far my observations are that Throne is cool.

Yes she is as well as others

I flipped a coin 3 times to choose a first character because I figured I really couldn’t go wrong, and after playing though all 1st chapters I feel like I was right. Really happy with the game so far in the chapter 2s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The cool thing about OT2 is that every character is cool 😎 :cool: 😎

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

If I had to choose a favorite at the moment (again only in chapter 2s) it would have to be Castti because of the difference between her mostly flat affect and the poo poo she says sometimes in travel banter, the understated and almost casual brutality of that one poison axe move, and ofc No Mercy Only Pain

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

:hmmyes:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

exquisite tea posted:

As a boob guy, I’m a big Throné fan

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Holds up

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Question: are most of the regular sub jobs located in or around the tier 2 cities? I’ve found 2 and also ex skill statues near them this way and was thinking about just grabbing the rest before continuing because I gotta spend all this JP you know?

E: spoiler insurance

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 12, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Question: are most of the regular sub jobs located in or around the tier 2 cities? I’ve found 2 and also ex skill statues near them this way and was thinking about just grabbing the rest before continuing because I gotta spend all this JP you know?

E: spoiler insurance

IIRC that's correct. Usually the guild where you get secondary job licenses are in or around the towns nearest where you find the EX skill statues.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

IIRC that's correct. Usually the guild where you get secondary job licenses are in or around the towns nearest where you find the EX skill statues.

Cool thanks! Going to get my man Hikari rest and sidestep post haste 🙏

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sleng Teng posted:

Cool thanks! Going to get my man Hikari rest and sidestep post haste 🙏

Merchant Hikari is really solid too for dueling purposes, and fixes any SP issues he might have for his expensive skills. I usually switch him to Hunter for boss fights though since he then has four weapon types to hit weaknesses with and he can always Leghold Trap if needed.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I've finished all the individual stories, and have been cleaning up a bunch of loose ends before moving on to the crossed paths. This includes tracking down all the sidequests that unlock after the end of each story, and I absolutely had to come in here to say that (Agnea spoilers) drat, Dolcinaea and Veronica are gay as gently caress. I'm glad we could help this clueless butch come up with a gift for her equally clueless femme.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I've finished all the individual stories, and have been cleaning up a bunch of loose ends before moving on to the crossed paths. This includes tracking down all the sidequests that unlock after the end of each story, and I absolutely had to come in here to say that (Agnea spoilers) drat, Dolcinaea and Veronica are gay as gently caress. I'm glad we could help this clueless butch come up with a gift for her equally clueless femme.

Somehow still less blatantly gay than Agnea's sister.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Agnea's story is about this clueless girl being constantly surrounded by lesbians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Just finished Ochette's story, 7 more final chapters to do. A bit worried about my levels, since that boss was intense, and I am not at 45 (except for miss axe amputator).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Just finished Ochette's story, 7 more final chapters to do. A bit worried about my levels, since that boss was intense, and I am not at 45 (except for miss axe amputator).

The game is generally pretty drat good about keeping you at a good level. Unless you throw someone in your party just before a boss or avoid all fights you'll catch up pretty quick. The first final chapter is usually going to be the roughest if just because you're at the lowest level for that point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It was very heartwarming to play through Partitio's tale of building up his town through grit and determination and then immediately rob them all blind with Throne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It was very heartwarming to play through Partitio's tale of building up his town through grit and determination and then immediately rob them all blind with Throne.

Just wait until you get Osvald, who possesses the wondrous power of being able to mug people for all their belongings in full view of everyone and never face a single consequence.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
no one will talk to you if Agnea strikes out five times while asking people to go out with her, but no one minds getting their poo poo kicked in by a scary night nerd trying to take their precious heirlooms or juicy gossip by force, regardless of whether you succeed

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Got myself wrecked by the boss on Agnea's final chapter.

First fight took two tries --- needed to put some status resist gear to unconscious on Castti. Then lost on second fight for less obvious reasons, and it was too late to continue. Probably could do more with her new skill though, especially since Osvald was around, though usually she is the one doing much of the buffing for me. Having a second warrior would probably help, but I am not sure where to put it.

One dumb mistake I had was that Osvald was secondary-jobbing in pharma, but somehow I forgot to teach him rehabilitate. Also evading in Agnea didn't seem very effective, maybe I should swap for some passives and equipment for defense or HP..

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The righteous and honorable Hikari, challenging 80-year old grandmas to duels so that he can learn needlepoint.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The righteous and honorable Hikari, challenging 80-year old grandmas to duels so that he can learn needlepoint.

The best part is how the grandmas are like "A duel? Cool, let's throw down"

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Speaking of, are there any 'must have' abilities I should get? There are so many and limited slots. It sort of sucks for experimentation.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Everyone seems to be a secret badass - and that rocks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaddish posted:

Speaking of, are there any 'must have' abilities I should get? There are so many and limited slots. It sort of sucks for experimentation.

Most of the "must have" abilities are late-game abilities so I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet. What I'd suggest in the earlier parts of the game is to find abilities for weapon types that Hikari doesn't have naturally so you have more ways to hit weaknesses.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In addition to what Harrow said I’ve been prioritizing multi hits as well because Hikari has enough strong single hits built into his kit already and they help with shield breaks. I also imagine lategame they are better once you start hitting damage caps also

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yep, one of the late-game important abilities is a multi-hit sword attack that can do like 40k+ per hit with the passive that lets you break the damage cap. Hikari's a beast

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sleng Teng posted:

Everyone seems to be a secret badass - and that rocks

Nothing secret about Osvald.

Sleng Teng posted:

In addition to what Harrow said I’ve been prioritizing multi hits as well because Hikari has enough strong single hits built into his kit already and they help with shield breaks. I also imagine lategame they are better once you start hitting damage caps also

The 4th Warrior passive lets you go up to 99,999 for the damage cap and it's pretty hard to hit that cap, so strong single hits can still have a place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

The best part is how the grandmas are like "A duel? Cool, let's throw down"

"You have much to learn" as I knee a dude who looks like my local teamsters' union rep in the balls. One day, I will rule these lands with a righteous hand.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nothing secret about Osvald.

The 4th Warrior passive lets you go up to 99,999 for the damage cap and it's pretty hard to hit that cap, so strong single hits can still have a place.

You know I was talking about the townspeople you goof!

Anyway, I don't doubt single hits still have a place but it's easy for me to imagine multi hits getting more damage in total even if each hit doesn't get to cap, as Harrow seems to suggest, and you only get so many slots. Though I can also imagine some weapon types not getting a good multi hit either. I'm also wondering how the SP efficiency compares. Guess I'll find out!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sleng Teng posted:

You know I was talking about the townspeople you goof!

Anyway, I don't doubt single hits still have a place but it's easy for me to imagine multi hits getting more damage in total even if each hit doesn't get to cap, as Harrow seems to suggest, and you only get so many slots. Though I can also imagine some weapon types not getting a good multi hit either. I'm also wondering how the SP efficiency compares. Guess I'll find out!

Not that many weapon types get a good multi-hit move actually, not counting Hikari (and even then he's limited to really Sword/Polearm for reliability on those). Sword, Axe and Dagger have strong single hits, Bow doesn't really get anything that strong (it has multi hits but they're not extremely powerful). I think Polearm is in the same boat as Bow.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fun note, OT1 came out five years ago today.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not so fun fact: apparently the 2 OST still can’t be easily legally bought/streamed.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regalingualius posted:

Not so fun fact: apparently the 2 OST still can’t be easily legally bought/streamed.

This has managed to stay up on youtube for longer than usual so far.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9GGFFS3CIHl3i0RyPJHEAOazNmw6oae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Regalingualius posted:

It took something like four months for the OST to be available for purchase in the states on digital platforms for OT 1. It’s been 5 now for 2. What’s the deal?

I’ve, uh, acquired a copy of the Japanese version of the soundtrack, which has done the job.