Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Any tips for getting through a 50 mile, 2500 ft gravel race in 11 days that I'm not prepared for? My training was going great, I was getting consistent 20-30 milers in and plenty of trainer time, but I had a sinus and chest infection that wrecked me. My training fell off immediately and I never broke 40 miles. Between now and then I have a 6-day raft trip for work, lots of exposure, hard physical work, and sleeping on the ground. I'm planning on being very serious about my hydration and cutting way back on the amount of beer I usually drink on that trip, plus getting a good 8+ hrs of sleep.

I think I'm going to be ok, but it's going to take everything I've got in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Feeling pretty clever today after fixing a slow leak in our wheelbarrow tyre. I unscrewed the valve and squirted a couple of syringes full of tubeless sealant into it. THose tyres are a pain to get off the rim so doing it this way was much easier.
I also used a tube patch to repair a hole in my gumboot.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Any tips for getting through a 50 mile, 2500 ft gravel race in 11 days that I'm not prepared for? My training was going great, I was getting consistent 20-30 milers in and plenty of trainer time, but I had a sinus and chest infection that wrecked me. My training fell off immediately and I never broke 40 miles. Between now and then I have a 6-day raft trip for work, lots of exposure, hard physical work, and sleeping on the ground. I'm planning on being very serious about my hydration and cutting way back on the amount of beer I usually drink on that trip, plus getting a good 8+ hrs of sleep.

How serious are you about hauling maximum rear end on the gravel ride? I did a big gravel ride a couple years ago that was getting miserable because I was trying to keep up with a group riding faster than I was comfortable with. Then I just realized I could take an extra bit of time and ride at my own pace and suddenly it was so much better, even if it was still hard. Go with your sensations but I hate when people are like "it was such a sufferfest" like bro if it feels like poo poo maybe dial it back or change your state of mind. I've hated the term ever since I heard it, I'm out there doing this by my own volition AND not getting paid to do it, you should not be striving for it to be a sufferfest.

But yeah, not being hungover and well rested will go a long way. So will smart fueling.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 13, 2023

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

How serious are you about hauling maximum rear end on the gravel ride? I did a big gravel ride a couple years ago that was getting miserable because I was trying to keep up with a group riding faster than I was comfortable with. Then I just realized I could take an extra bit of time and ride at my own pace and suddenly it was so much better, even if it was still hard. Go with your sensations but I hate when people are like "it was such a sufferfest" like bro if it feels like poo poo maybe dial it back or change your state of mind. I've hated the term ever since I heard it, I'm out there doing this by my own volition AND not getting paid to do it, you should not be striving for it to be a sufferfest.

But yeah, not being hungover and well rested will go a long way. So will smart fueling.

Hell yes to all of this

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No aspersions of placing or hanging with a group. My original goal was to average 15 mph and have a good time with my buddy who's riding it with me. But now I'm dialed back to finishing and still be having fun at the finish line and want to do it again. I don't want to hold my friend back, he just went crazy with training over the last couple weeks, like rode the course a couple times and is trying to be breaking 60 miles on training rides. It's not so important to me that we do it together, because I think the challenge of it has become personal to him and I'm happy to tell him "go get it bro, see you in the beer line." If he wants to ride together, cool, it'll help to have support.

I dunno, I put a lot of emotional energy over the past few months into this goal and its not going the way I wanted.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got a digital air gauge - glad I stopped at the LBS because I had left only 3.2 PSI in my tire lol. I didn't realize to go down 20 you only needed to let out a pretty small amount.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

actionjackson posted:

the silca tire pressure calculator says my tires should both be in the low 40s for PSI? the PSI range for those tires is only 40-70.

this is what i put in, though i wasn't sure which tire type I had (I have a teravail cannonball, it has a tube but is tubeless ready)

I'm only catching up to this now, but the Teravail Cannonball with its 60tpi casing would not be considered a "high performance" tire. It is unlikely to make a significant difference with a large volume gravel tire though where most of the suspension is in the air volume rather than the casing tension itself.

actionjackson posted:

I got a digital air gauge - glad I stopped at the LBS because I had left only 3.2 PSI in my tire lol. I didn't realize to go down 20 you only needed to let out a pretty small amount.

3.2psi in a 700C x 42mm tire should be obviously unrideable at 250lb system weight. Are you sure it was actually that low?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Sure it wasn't 3.2bar?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Focus on finishing rather racing. Take it slow. Lots of hydration and sugar on event day and night before. Try to sleep well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'm only catching up to this now, but the Teravail Cannonball with its 60tpi casing would not be considered a "high performance" tire. It is unlikely to make a significant difference with a large volume gravel tire though where most of the suspension is in the air volume rather than the casing tension itself.

3.2psi in a 700C x 42mm tire should be obviously unrideable at 250lb system weight. Are you sure it was actually that low?

Is 3bar enough for a like 120-130kg total weight with tubes and 40mm tyre? Thought about doing some forestry roads etc gravel, but unsure what pressures to try.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure
Or Google for your own.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

That suggests 3.2 front 3.5 rear. Hmm I’ve always used same pressures in front and rear..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who has the most phallic grips?

Here is my nomination.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Shorts vs bibs is a personal preference thing. Bibs stay up, shorts are a ton easier when nature calls on long rides.
If you got a pickle, most bibs are designed and cut low enough you can just whip it over the top hem. Don't practice in public.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

evil_bunnY posted:

If you got a pickle, most bibs are designed and cut low enough you can just whip it over the top hem. Don't practice in public.

Or, if you can, roll up one of the legs, personally find that more comfortable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Angryhead posted:

What the hell

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Angryhead posted:

Yeah this is easier for me too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Angryhead posted:

I do this with gun «Edit:» gym shorts, actually, but I have meaty thighs, and rolling up the shorts is basically like applying a tourniquet.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 14, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Doesn’t everyone have a 14” bengis?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Second. How loose are your bibs?!?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

... man, I was thiiiiiiis close to making a comment about how I have to go up and over the top of the shorts/bibs because the urinals here are too cold and shallow to make taking a more direct route through the shorts' leg comfortable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

kimbo305 posted:

It could be 34" but unless it's the thickness of some grass it's not fitting in between my thighs and the shorts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Why not

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

amenenema posted:

Second. How loose are your bibs?!?
:shrug: my bibs are well fitting, I think.
Maybe it helps to be a grower, not a shower, but stretching and pulling up the inner part of the shorts on one leg works for me. Not like, super comfortable, but moreso than the pressure when pulling it up and over the top hem for me.

Apr 7, 2003

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Was ist das?

Apr 7, 2003

Always good to secure your equipment

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Managed to average 19mph on a 2hr ride yesterday with about 1600ft of climbing mixed in. :bisonyes:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

only 3.2 PSI in my tire lol.

in between measuring PSI, you can certainly tell by squeezing the tire if it's over or underinflated. Within 10psi, say. More than accurate enough to know if it's almost flat.
I think somewhere on Sheldon's site is the concept of 15% droop when the tire sits on the ground with your weight. If it's a tire that's 32mm tall, then it should squash down around 5mm. Enough to see the sidewalls bulge out a bit, but not near where you're in danger of it folding over in turns.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I played on a dirt jumper at a pump track last night. No grip, only a back brake, tiny bike. What a great way to feel like a kid again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Vando posted:

Sure it wasn't 3.2bar?

they asked that but checked and got the same. they inflated it to around 45 and it just has a bit of "squeeze" now.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

actionjackson posted:

Thank you for keeping your LBS open.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone used this? looks to be a good option to go on my handlebars

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink-micro.html#ProductTabs_tab1&v=soundlink_micro_midnight_blue

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

no but I can recommend the shokz open run bone conduction headphones https://shokz.com/products/openrun

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A MIRACLE posted:

no but I can recommend the shokz open run bone conduction headphones https://shokz.com/products/openrun

Do those work okay with glasses? I tried some cheaper bone conduction headphones, and it was hit or miss if my glasses interfered with the bone conduction transducer.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

A MIRACLE posted:

Shokz are awesome and my pair of Open Runs just arrived this morning. drat cat ate my Open Moves and hey why not upgrade for a replacement.

Safety Dance posted:

Do those work okay with glasses? I tried some cheaper bone conduction headphones, and it was hit or miss if my glasses interfered with the bone conduction transducer.
I was able to wear my Moves with sunglasses with no problems. I haven't tried yet with the new pair. Specifically, I could wear a helmet, headphones, sunglasses, and even an over the ears cycling cap all at once. Adding in the hat wasn't perfect, but everything still meshed well enough to get the job done on a chilly fall morning.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 13, 2023

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No concussion no cracked hip the numbness in my toes will go down when the swelling and deep tissue bruising subside and overall I'm in really good health for someone that had peak fun at a music festival then immediately crashed his bike on his first day back cosplaying as a normal person with a regular white collar job.

They didn't put a lead cover on my balls when they took an x-ray of my hip hope that doesn't turn into a thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

No concussion no cracked hip the numbness in my toes will go down when the swelling and deep tissue bruising subside and overall I'm in really good health for someone that had peak fun at a music festival then immediately crashed his bike on his first day back cosplaying as a normal person with a regular white collar job.

They didn't put a lead cover on my balls when they took an x-ray of my hip hope that doesn't turn into a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdtkTqsYRI&t=71s

(Glad to hear you're OK-ish!)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Platystemon posted:

Who has the most phallic grips?

Here is my nomination.

It's been this chain cleaner for like 20 years

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Crumps Brother posted:

I was able to wear my Moves with sunglasses with no problems. I haven't tried yet with the new pair. Specifically, I could wear a helmet, headphones, sunglasses, and even an over the ears cycling cap all at once. Adding in the hat wasn't perfect, but everything still meshed well enough to get the job done on a chilly fall morning.

I do get a little pinching on my right ear with all this stuff on my head, still working it out. starts happening about 20 mi into a ride