Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I mean... that is likely the reason I didnt flinch when I picked it up and read the properties. The manashield effect looks cool but what good is it if it just drains your resource hm?

But its good for more damage on a HotA barbarian, because HotA does more damage per point of fury you have when casting it. Its not based on % of fury like the edgemasters aspect, but takes actual fury points into account

Lets make a super unique which only works for 1 single spec of the Barbarian class
Almost every single Barb build uses Unbridled Rage (your abilities cost double Fury), Aspect of Numbing Wrath (every point of Fury above max gives your Fortify points) and Aspect of Limitless Rage (every point of Fury above max gives you extra damage).

Instead of making you survive more, the mana shield portion of the amulet will outright kill you as soon as you step into a poison puddle and lose 100 Fury in 1s, since you will lose Fortify (because you are no longer overcapping Fury) and once your enemies stop insta dying cause you can't cast your double cost, extra damage skills.

EDIT: what I am saying is that this doesn't work for HotA either :v:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Almost every single Barb build uses Unbridled Rage (your abilities cost double Fury), Aspect of Numbing Wrath (every point of Fury above max gives your Fortify points) and Aspect of Limitless Rage (every point of Fury above max gives you extra damage).

Instead of making you survive more, the mana shield portion of the amulet will outright kill you as soon as you step into a poison poodle and lose 100 Fury in 1s, since you will lose Fortify (because you are no longer overcapping Fury) and once your enemies stop insta dying cause you can't cast your double cost, extra damage skills.

EDIT: what I am saying is that this doesn't work for HotA either :v:

Oh right, right. This would be very much not the case though, if resistances worked. I simply do not understand why resistances do not work and why it is so hard to fix this.

drat I wish I had picked barbarian. Game is giving me all the barbarian stuff which ofc it will not drop on the season 1 barb I plan to make

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

as a master of tactics i would simply walk out of the poison puddle

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hell Yeah posted:

as a master of tactics i would simply walk out of the poison puddle

Depending on the amulet roll (3-8), I suppose high sigil dungeon puddles will drain your fury almost instantly if you are rocking a 8 roll amulet

8 fury drain per 1% health loss is just too much

Surely with a few basic skill spam clicks you can bring it back up, but I kinda believe basic skills loving suck and I tend to prefer builds which manage to omit using them altogether in the endgame. So what if a puddle spawns under you when all your shouts and leap are all on CD.. >.<

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 13, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

One week left until season one :toot:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MMAgCh posted:

Many uniques seem pretty poorly thought out. I just found a pair of the unique sorc boots, for instance, and while I could perhaps be bothered to build around their particular aspect, their immutable affixes simply don't make the cut. One of them is shrine buff duration, for god's sake. :psyduck:

The problem with uniques, besides losing an aspect slot you might not be able to afford, is that you can't force the good damage bucket rolls and the bonus aspect has to be better than the sim loss of those. More uniques would be viable if they changed that, or given more options on gear for defensive affixes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Vic posted:

It... hmm...

Don't worry, everyone will understand when the final reward for the paid track in S1 is the Legatus Amulet.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm a bit surprised by the season 1 timing. Feels like its a bit to close to game launch. People are either not done yet with what they were doing or have stopped playing not too long ago, making the 'break' period a bit too short to get fully hyped about a new season.

Also timing it a week before PoE's big thing is weird

I played about 80 hours of D4, but atm don't feel hyped up enough to log back in for S1

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mikojan posted:

I'm a bit surprised by the season 1 timing. Feels like its a bit to close to game launch. People are either not done yet with what they were doing or have stopped playing not too long ago, making the 'break' period a bit too short to get fully hyped about a new season.

I played about 80 hours of D4, but atm don't feel hyped up enough to log back in for S1

That's just t-7 talk, we'll talk again in a week :p

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The real wildcard is how big of a patch they're releasing beforehand.

It's hard to get excited when the entire game balance could or could not change just beforehand

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

satanic splash-back posted:

The real wildcard is how big of a patch they're releasing beforehand.

It's hard to get excited when the entire game balance could or could not change just beforehand

really wish they had copied poe and posted the patch notes immediately after the live stream ended

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asking for $60+ like one month after launch is pretty depraved

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Season 1 almost feels like a trial run for Blizz to figure out a bunch of stuff. It simultaneously feels a little smaller than I hoped, but they're also doing a lot of post-launch stuff for the first time. They're implementing the battlepass, smoldering ashes, a new questline, new items, new dungeons, a new boss, a seasonal mechanic that introduces major changes to balance, presumably a large patch with other balance tweaks...

You'd assume they know how to do all that stuff, but look at what happened with the helltide unique patch lol.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

euphronius posted:

?? the battle pass for season 1 is 10 bucks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ehud posted:

?? the battle pass for season 1 is 10 bucks

Oh I didn’t know what the price was

I just assumed

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Can’t wait for my accelerated cosmetics

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

euphronius posted:

Oh I didn’t know what the price was

I just assumed

lol

yeah it's 10 bucks. There is an accelerated one that is 25 bucks, but I have no idea why anyone would ever buy that.

It skips you ahead like 20 levels on the premium battle pass which literally just gets you your cosmetics faster.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Nobody here better be contemplating paying money for a battlepass

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Let's be fair now. $10 a month after release is also depraved.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mikojan posted:

IDK man, these cosmetics are quite good looking

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Joke’s on them I prepaid for the battlepass with my preorder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

, and a Scroll of Amnesia, which provides a free Skill Tree and Paragon Board reset.

:2monocle:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

euphronius posted:

$60 is peanuts when you've got a good job a good family life and play 100 hours a week

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

$60 is peanuts when you've got a good job a good family life and play 100 hours a week

its good to be among humanity's 5 million finest

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Mikojan posted:

You posted this on the pay to post website

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Mikojan posted:

A week before Exilecon is a good time to release. PoE players get to play the league at launch when the hype is the most, then a week later things have quieted down and the luster is gone, and you can pay attention to Exilecon.

If Blizzard and GGG can keep their leagues a month apart like the way they are spaced out now would be great. Both games will get more players each league if they continue this. The thing Blizzard couldn't account for with league timing is BG3 moving their release date up a month to avoid Starfield.

I would have liked more time until season 1 of D4, but the summer is stacked and they needed launch when the gaming calendar was clear.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mikojan posted:

seriously

everyone should have purchased digital deluxe or ultimate edition which included the battle pass

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Battle? Pass!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I don't think I've ever bought a battle pass in a non-F2P game so I will probably abstain.

:hmmyes:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SettingSun posted:

Joke’s on them I prepaid for the battlepass with my preorder.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anybody who preorders a non-physical videogame or pays for a premium edition or pays for a battle pass is a chump and a fool.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Guilty as charged. However I usually 'preorder' about half a day before the game releases so I can preload it and play it that night.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Uniques/leggos in D3 also sucked at launch fwiw. Too rare so to get one with an appropriate ilvl was a task. Yellow gear was usually better.

They did fix it pretty quick and then every class able to hold a 2H axe used skorn.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
they have the right idea wrt uniques

they're highly dependent on your build and even then the builds that utilize them will only need 1-2 uniques

it would be extremely dumb if uniques also had the best affixes on gear. itemization would then become a game of checking off whatever unique is BiS for every single slot

need tuning on sorc, rogue and barb uniques. sorc uniques are specially bad

druid and necro uniques are in a pretty good spot

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

If Blizzard and GGG can keep their leagues a month apart like the way they are spaced out now would be great. Both games will get more players each league if they continue this. The thing Blizzard couldn't account for with league timing is BG3 moving their release date up a month to avoid Starfield.

I really hope they do. But GGG's demographic is very small compared to D4 (~200K concurrent players on launch vs like 10M+ (?))

In the end I think GGG will probbaly bend the knee and adjust their schedule. They've done so in the past for completely unrelated things like cyberpunk launching.

Perfect world will have D4, Last Epoch and PoE leagues all be spaced out by 1 month

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’ve paid for battlepasses in Valorant before because it’s f2p, but after this first one that I got free with the preorder, I doubt I’ll ever buy a D4 battlepass again.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
My favourite part of season 1's hype machine so far has been the reveal that one of the uniques they're adding is an uber unique. So effectively just -1 new unique. Pretty cool. I wonder if they realize how stupid those are as a concept and that nobody cares because it will never ever drop for anyone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah so the 7th unique is a chase unique. So each class really does have just one unique to play around with in the season.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Much like Blizzard and WoW, D4 has a lot of good momentum and potential after launch but if anyone could kill that it'd be Blizzard themselves.

I dunno, I just think you should never see a rare item drop and go "oh no, this sucks." At least "ah, another class can use this! Time to level an alt!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Ah so the 7th unique is a chase unique. So each class really does have just one unique to play around with in the season.

Class specific uniques are probably the most exciting items in the game because they are so build enabling

Tbh I'd love to see all aspects just become talent points on the skill tree, and a lot more uniques to be added instead