Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Time posted:

Oh, I did for sure lol.

Then I guess the advice isn’t your level +3 it’s whatever you can kill fast

yeah my TLDR was for self-leveling, sorry. And there's a bit more nuance so it can get pretty un-TLDR fast

If you want to receive a powerlevel fast, you want to do the highest level content where your power leveler can still go real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So what was the source of the "No XP benefit for killing enemies more than +3 levels above player level" rumor?? Was that BS?

I definitely thought that (within the same world tier) you got the same amount of XP from killing a +3 level enemy as killing a +4, +10, +25 etc!

EDIT - as always, maxroll has a great explanation. There is an additional XP bonus of up to 25% if enemies are up to 3 levels higher than you. But the actual base amount of XP per kill is based on how much HP the enemy has, and an enemy's HP goes up every level. Neat!

+3 is the end of the xp multiplier, but the base xp continues to grow as levels do

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Isn't the 13 pages of balance patch notes the same thing as the July 18th patch?

That was June 27

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

flashman posted:

That was June 27

Interesting. Then the actual patch with balance & sandbox changes on the 18th is gonna be like... 400 pages? They using a 1st gen iphone to paginate their notes?

The June patch was like bug fixes and poo poo

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The June patch had a bunch of skill changes and what was supposed to be the balancing patch touted in that fireside chat, but it was all like 2 percent base damage on basic skills and poo poo.

I hope they go ham for the season start next week and make some drastic changes to alot of skills

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

whenever they say "x pages" in the future, just assume those pages are meant to be looked through the device they tried to paypig people on with immortal

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

If you try to boot without being connected to XBL or any kind of internet, you get a popup saying "Oi rear end in a top hat, you gotta be online to do play this." and you don't even get to boot the game.
If there's a (simple) way to circumvent this, I'd love to hear it.

No idea how PSN handles it, but I'd assume the same thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

If you try to boot without being connected to XBL or any kind of internet, you get a popup saying "Oi rear end in a top hat, you gotta be online to do play this." and you don't even get to boot the game.
If there's a (simple) way to circumvent this, I'd love to hear it.

No idea how PSN handles it, but I'd assume the same thing.

You sure? One of the Devs has said you don't need XBL to play and the FAQ says you don't either.

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1649433665984757761

quote:

No, you do not need PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold to play the majority of Diablo 4. You can experience the solo campaign, endgame content, and couch co-op mode without PS+ or Xbox Live.

However, you need PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold to engage with multiplayer content, including PVP, chats, and partying up with other players online.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You sure? One of the Devs has said you don't need XBL to play and the FAQ says you don't either.

Then I guess XBL/PSN isn't the gate, it's just straight up an internet connection required at all times.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
fists of fate is a cool unique

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

give me the monk back if you're gonna name items like that

i want to drop bells on bad guys

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Tokubetsu posted:

too bad lucky hit comes mostly from gloves and they are too dumb to make uniques have the stuff that makes the slot worth wearing (+ to skills for instance)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Verviticus posted:

too bad lucky hit comes mostly from gloves and they are too dumb to make uniques have the stuff that makes the slot worth wearing (+ to skills for instance)

Overkill would actually make Deathblow builds so much better if it didn't have the most garbage stats built into it.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait so folks without Xbox live or ps+ can just level uncontested in the pvp zone? Pay to lose confirmed

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Overkill would actually make Deathblow builds so much better if it didn't have the most garbage stats built into it.

gohrs, the whirlwind gloves, have loving attack speed on them

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

the hardest part about equipping Overkill is throwing away a 200% aspect

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Jaytan posted:

Wait so folks without Xbox live or ps+ can just level uncontested in the pvp zone? Pay to lose confirmed

No, the shards don't or cinders or whatever don't drop in those zones. They're effectively dead zones.

You can still kill things and do events and get loot, but you don't get the pvp stuff. I had to switch to PC for that stuff to generate. You can't even interact with the cleansing fountains or whatever they're called.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tonetta posted:

the hardest part about equipping Overkill is throwing away a 200% aspect

this is a problem with all uniques and a massive problem with weapon uniques and a massive massive problem with 2h weapon uniques

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Many uniques seem pretty poorly thought out. I just found a pair of the unique sorc boots, for instance, and while I could perhaps be bothered to build around their particular aspect, their immutable affixes simply don't make the cut. One of them is shrine buff duration, for god's sake. :psyduck:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Had about 26k PVP cinders waiting for extract when I got randomly dropped and now it says my account is otherwise busy :(

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The trash affixes makes me pass on uniques more then anything

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

I had one drop with decent rolls. Tried it out on the bone spear necro it dropped for and my damage output became irritatingly erratic and undependable. Went back to my previous ancestral gloves and things got better. I suspect those gloves work a lot better for builds with higher attack speeds as opposed to high resource expense heavy shots.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

MMAgCh posted:

Many uniques seem pretty poorly thought out. I just found a pair of the unique sorc boots, for instance, and while I could perhaps be bothered to build around their particular aspect, their immutable affixes simply don't make the cut. One of them is shrine buff duration, for god's sake. :psyduck:

raiment and esu boots arent too bad if you're playing arc lash but yeah =/

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
My favourite unique is the sorc fireball gloves that turn it into a bouncing ball... and reduce its damage by 60-70%.

The actual effect is pretty cool, and the sort of thing that makes for a neat build (ignoring for the moment that fireball is the worst spender in the game)... but also it makes the spell completely worthless. Great design. Just brilliant.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Tokubetsu posted:

raiment and esu boots arent too bad if you're playing arc lash but yeah =/
I am (badly) playing a lightning sorc, so the temptation is there. Ultimately I don't think I can get over the mediocrity of those affixes, though.

bio347 posted:

My favourite unique is the sorc fireball gloves that turn it into a bouncing ball... and reduce its damage by 60-70%.

The actual effect is pretty cool, and the sort of thing that makes for a neat build (ignoring for the moment that fireball is the worst spender in the game)... but also it makes the spell completely worthless. Great design. Just brilliant.
The staff that makes Charged Bolts pierce targets also does this. Even the aspect that grants an additional Hydra reduces the skill's duration! There are times when the class's item design seems to fall just short of being actively malicious, especially when you look at just about any of the other classes (but perhaps the druid in particular).

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 13, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Best unique is Razorplate. Just does 1 thing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

In my 80s, my druid has yet to find a unique worth equipping :geno:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
American McGay do you use the Earthen Might passive + aspect that makes it apply to your Storm skills

just found that one and it seems pretty awesome for caster druid idk

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

MMAgCh posted:

I am (badly) playing a lightning sorc, so the temptation is there. Ultimately I don't think I can get over the mediocrity of those affixes, though.

The staff that makes Charged Bolts pierce targets also does this. Even the aspect that grants an additional Hydra reduces the skill's duration! There are times when the class's item design seems to fall just short of being actively malicious, especially when you look at just about any of the other classes (but perhaps the druid in particular).

Craziest thing about this stuff is Druid is like the total opposite of this and a lot of classes where the loot makes sense? They actually encourge experimenting and aid builds. All the sorc gear is like "Yo this is such a cool mod to your skill, but let's completely kneecap the damage."

The one that makes ball lightning orbit you is great, especially if you're playing arc lash but you're losing 10x damage off it with the best roll. Why Blizzard? Why are you like this?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It is my humble opinion that uniques, some of the rarest loot in the game, should be sidegrades with fully optimized alternative gear at the absolute worst. Having a unique reduce a skill’s damage by 70% is stupid lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The ice shard one that makes it pierce 9x but deal 10% less damage per pierce is really good though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Monkey posted:

give me the monk back if you're gonna name items like that

i want to drop bells on bad guys

Monk was my favorite in D3 by far miss my hundred hand strike but I’m finding rogue plays a bit similar.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

The trash affixes makes me pass on uniques more then anything

most uniques are trash in true diablo fashion (with very few exceptions)

they really *really* went with D2 classic as the template for the release version of D4.

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Monk was my favorite in D3 by far miss my hundred hand strike but I’m finding rogue plays a bit similar.

Me too, I get to zip around with Rogue which is the gameplay I want

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mr. Pickles posted:

they really *really* went with D2 classic as the template for the release version of D4.

The way your character lacks abilities and items at level 1, so too Diablo 4 on release lacks features and items. You gotta understand how game development works. We paid so that developers at BE can spend their time creating and perfecting the arpg genre and we get to be there for the ride. Diablo 4 is already miles ahead of any contemporary arpg. Blizzard created a living breathing world of sanctuary. You won't just kill some monsters, you will be able to live there, between heaven and hell. Just be patient and eventually we'll see Chris Metzen's vision realized.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mr. Pickles posted:

I mean, true, although even in classic there were tens of uniques that started at required level like 5 so you were able to use a lot of the trash ones while leveling. Getting a Nokozan Relic at low level is quite different than getting a 100k Steps at level 75.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Vic posted:

The way your character lacks abilities and items at level 1, so too Diablo 4 on release lacks features and items. You gotta understand how game development works. We paid so that developers at BE can spend their time creating and perfecting the arpg genre and we get to be there for the ride. Diablo 4 is already miles ahead of any contemporary arpg. Blizzard created a living breathing world of sanctuary. You won't just kill some monsters, you will be able to live there, between heaven and hell. Just be patient and eventually we'll see Chris Metzen's vision realized.

Yehhh I too love the game and its pretty darn awesome already imo, if you consider its competition. I could do with resistances not being broken but owell, its in the pipeline.

In other news, I never realized the molten heart of Selig is a super unique. I guess I have a super unique, too bad I do not have a barbarian

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 13, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It... hmm...

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yehhh I too love the game and its pretty darn awesome already imo, if you consider its competition. I could do with resistances not being broken but owell, its in the pipeline.

In other news, I never realized the molten heart of Selig is a super unique. I guess I have a super unique, too bad I do not have a barbarian

I like how most Barbs survival and a lot of its damage is based on always having capped Fury and the Superunique item for the class revolves around bringing your Resource to 0 as soon as you step into a poison poodle. But wait, you also get the benefit of having a non-cdr, non-movement, non-vuln, non-crit amulet equipped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

I like how most Barbs survival and a lot of its damage is based on always having capped Fury and the Superunique item for the class revolves around bringing your Resource to 0 as soon as you step into a poison poodle. But wait, you also get the benefit of having a non-cdr, non-movement, non-vuln, non-crit amulet equipped!

I mean... that is likely the reason I didnt flinch when I picked it up and read the properties. The manashield effect looks cool but what good is it if it just drains your resource hm?

But its good for more damage on a HotA barbarian, because HotA does more damage per point of fury you have when casting it. Its not based on % of fury like the edgemasters aspect, but takes actual fury points into account

Lets make a super unique which only works for 1 single spec of the Barbarian class

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 13, 2023