Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I quite enjoyed the Bullet Hell Monday series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I enjoyed the two Sky Force games.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah sky force infinite is a lot of fun, only downside is progression can get slow, but it's always there

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Anyone have a recommendation for an xcom-like rpg? Ive played through all of xcom2 and enemy unknown many times, but anything like those I'll give a try. The setting doesn't matter as long as it's like a squad based rpg. Premium preferred but I'll try whatever.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Templar Battleforce. You can try it for free but it’s eventually 10 bux. I can’t remember if the Trese Brothers ever put stuff on sale, but they are great developers so you don’t have to feel bad about supporting them.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Templar Battleforce. You can try it for free but it’s eventually 10 bux. I can’t remember if the Trese Brothers ever put stuff on sale, but they are great developers so you don’t have to feel bad about supporting them.

Yep, this is perfect. Tried the demo, bought the full game after a few levels. Scratches the XCOM itch better than any other tactics rpg I've tried on mobile. Thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the Templar Battleforce rec, game's great so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I discovered Pocket Cities and it's really good for a baby SimCity and just wanting to plop down buildings.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I discovered Pocket Cities and it's really good for a baby SimCity and just wanting to plop down buildings.

It's pretty fun, yeah. I haven't tried out 2 yet, but I hope it's just as good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

It's pretty fun, yeah. I haven't tried out 2 yet, but I hope it's just as good.

I tried out 2 and gently caress that game.
I accidentally spent the whole night playing it and now I didn't get any sleep.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I tried out 2 and gently caress that game.
I accidentally spent the whole night playing it and now I didn't get any sleep.

I recently got it for the commute and haven't stopped thinking about it for like 2 days lol strangely addictive

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:argh: Pocket City 2 isn't compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S8! gently caress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's a very well made game but I got kinda bored with Pocket City 1/2 because there's almost no friction at all and I was always making insane amounts of money so it felt less like sim city and more like an antfarm, just plopping down whatever I could as soon as I unlocked it. There is a harder difficulty but it doesn't really feel like it's meant to be played that way. Fun game to poke at for a couple hours but I moved on from it pretty quickly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of, I'd buy and play the gently caress out of SimAnt on mobile, if such a thing existed.

I gotta hand it to good edutainment software; that poo poo really does stick with you for years. I learned a gently caress ton about ants (and gained a ton of respect for them) as a kid from that game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, I'd buy and play the gently caress out of SimAnt on mobile, if such a thing existed.

I gotta hand it to good edutainment software; that poo poo really does stick with you for years. I learned a gently caress ton about ants (and gained a ton of respect for them) as a kid from that game.
That sounds like an awesome idea.

The last legit version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego I played was on BlackBerry of all platforms.

edit: searching, this is cool!! https://earth.google.com/web/@17.90...cGxhc2hzY3JlZW4

edit2: blah, great concept but it's an overly simple version of the classic game. No need to identify the henchman, just follow the clues to the trail

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 11, 2023

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
While searching for more squad based RPGs I found a game called SFD: Rogue TRPG. It was on sale for $1, and is worth it so far. It's a mix of roguelike and tactical rpg in case the name didn't give it away. You can hire squad members through out the dungeon, change their jobs and all that fun stuff, or there's a single character mode. No ads or money shop. If it's still on sale it might be worth checking out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

It's a very well made game but I got kinda bored with Pocket City 1/2 because there's almost no friction at all and I was always making insane amounts of money so it felt less like sim city and more like an antfarm, just plopping down whatever I could as soon as I unlocked it. There is a harder difficulty but it doesn't really feel like it's meant to be played that way. Fun game to poke at for a couple hours but I moved on from it pretty quickly.

Pocket Cities 2 was great and I put probably 40+ hours into it.

That said - even with the hardest setting it was pretty easy to make money hand over fist. The only thing I never finished was all of the regional achievements because it didn't really add any challenge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried Dawncaster.

On my second run I broke the game right over my knee and practically no enemy during the second half of the game got the chance to attack me, including the last boss.
It's really weird how they are okay with making a deckbuilder that so easily allows you to just strip your deck to 4 cards and never have to do any decision making for the rest of the run.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I tried Dawncaster.

On my second run I broke the game right over my knee and practically no enemy during the second half of the game got the chance to attack me, including the last boss.
It's really weird how they are okay with making a deckbuilder that so easily allows you to just strip your deck to 4 cards and never have to do any decision making for the rest of the run.

Wait how did you not run into the reshuffle limit?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

Wait how did you not run into the reshuffle limit?

Reshuffle limit?
I didn't actually have an infinite deck. I had a rogue deck based on 2 very upgraded basic attack cards that would hit for 50+ damage each and then I'd conjure some more copies for a bunch of damage.
Rogue's basic weapon allows me to automatically stun every enemy, giving me two free turns to kill them, which I didn't even need most of the time.

I only shuffle the deck once or twice per encounter. What's the limit?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Reshuffle limit?
I didn't actually have an infinite deck. I had a rogue deck based on 2 very upgraded basic attack cards that would hit for 50+ damage each and then I'd conjure some more copies for a bunch of damage.
Rogue's basic weapon allows me to automatically stun every enemy, giving me two free turns to kill them, which I didn't even need most of the time.

I only shuffle the deck once or twice per encounter. What's the limit?

Ah, yeah. Most of the degenerate decks involve cycling a bunch. I forget how many shuffles it is, but after that you start taking progressively more damage per shuffle, as I recall. It's not actually all that easy to get to that point on basic attacks, so congrats. There's one more that I know of that works on that basic principle, on the warrior, iirc.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've gotten the anyform claw along with the trait that upgrades all copies of a card when you get dupes and had some versions that drop 100+ damage. There are definitely combos that just destroy the game.

I like the fact that it seems as if the cards you get tend towards synergy with your other cards, they appear to have a good recommendation algorithm behind the scenes. Only a few cases have I gotten cards that are just completely useless.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I tried a few games of Dawncaster and either I had a completely insane deck that one shotted everything, or I died instantly because it's impossible to defend against what the later enemies are doing.

Every game I basically made a single overpowered card and copied it multiple times. I had no idea there was a shuffle limit because it never came up.

I wasn't really impressed with the game and don't get what all the hype is about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I tried a few games of Dawncaster and either I had a completely insane deck that one shotted everything, or I died instantly because it's impossible to defend against what the later enemies are doing.

Every game I basically made a single overpowered card and copied it multiple times. I had no idea there was a shuffle limit because it never came up.

I wasn't really impressed with the game and don't get what all the hype is about.

That's also my experience and it's the least fun kind of deckbuilder game.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Dawncaster is definitely in the "extremely controllable" camp of deckbuilders, or, calling back to earlier discussion, almost 100% strategy, with most of the variance coming from what cards you are offered to build your silly engine of destruction with. It also expects the player to embrace this, with late-game enemies being nasty enough that they're very hard to beat with generic good stuff. It's a game that's breakable by design. Unfortunately, as is often the case, many of the methods of breaking it make the tactics very dull.

Out of the other games recommended together with Dawncaster, Breach Wizards is more on the opposite end of the spectrum, since there's no "start with this in your hand" manipulation, a soft draw limiter (after every X cards drawn, newly-drawn cards cost more to play), and crucially, although there are card deletion offered, there is no "skip card" option after a fight.

Indie's Lies is a bit in between, but it's so ludicrously easy at default difficulty while offering so little between-run variance that I didn't play that much of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a bit of an aside but I've always been extremely extremely annoyed at the thoughtless design of the reward screen in all of the modern deckbuilders.

The card "rewards" are big, shiny, fancy graphics, right in the middle of the screen, big buttons tempting you to press them and make number go up....and they're a huge loving trap, tricking you into playing the game wrong.
95% of the time the actual correct option is to press the small, nondescript button in the corner that makes you forfeit your so called "reward" for no satisfying gain other than an actual stronger deck.

Every loving deckbuilder does that, on every platform, and I'm seriously wondering if it's stupidity, of just copying the same thoughtless design everyone else is doing, or malice, of trying to nudge people into losing more often so that they spend more time trying to unlock metaprogression, on the developer's part.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

Breach Wizards is more on the opposite end of the spectrum, since there's no "start with this in your hand" manipulation, a soft draw limiter (after every X cards drawn, newly-drawn cards cost more to play), and crucially, although there are card deletion offered, there is no "skip card" option after a fight.

I can't find that game. No matter how I form the search terms the only results I'm getting are the unreleased Tactical Breach Wizards.

Is it Breach Wanderers you're talking about?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

thoughtless design of the reward screen

Is it really a problem if the obvious strategy is not the best? As long as it's fun to add loads of cards to your deck.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Every loving deckbuilder does that, on every platform, and I'm seriously wondering if it's stupidity, of just copying the same thoughtless design everyone else is doing, or malice, of trying to nudge people into losing more often so that they spend more time trying to unlock metaprogression, on the developer's part.

Not everyone wants to try to hit tiny buttons.

It would be bad UI to make the add buttons tiny, and spread them all along the edge of the screen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Guess I'm a big ol dummy but I find the runaway power creep in Dawnbuilder to be part of the fun. And it's not always as simple as skip card draw, win the game. Last I played, some of the classes were definitely more capable of becoming monstrously powerful but I thought the different classes and weapon choices provide some unique challenges and more fun ways to get extremely OP.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tann posted:

Is it really a problem if the obvious strategy is not the best? As long as it's fun to add loads of cards to your deck.

The problem is that the screen is actively misleading the player into making the bad choices, while the actual optimal choice is almost always the same no matter the game.
So the people that have learned to play one of these deckbuilders, know what to do with all of them, but the players that don't know will never learn without outside resources or if they're a particularly smart cookie.

From my perspective, you get a poor experience out of that with both groups.

Although now that I'm thinking about it some more, maybe it's a way to not have to design a good deckbuilder. If most people won't learn how to properly play a deckbuilder then your deckbuilder doesn't have to work well when played properly.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I can't find that game. No matter how I form the search terms the only results I'm getting are the unreleased Tactical Breach Wizards.

Is it Breach Wanderers you're talking about?

Sorry, yes. Tom Francis on the brain.

explosivo posted:

Guess I'm a big ol dummy but I find the runaway power creep in Dawnbuilder to be part of the fun. And it's not always as simple as skip card draw, win the game. Last I played, some of the classes were definitely more capable of becoming monstrously powerful but I thought the different classes and weapon choices provide some unique challenges and more fun ways to get extremely OP.

If I ever find a Ring of Djinni Summoning IRL I am sorely tempted to use it to make people stop treating their personal preferences as value judgements on whole games and/or subgenres, it's so annoying. Enjoy what you enjoy, and more power to you.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 13, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

Sorry, yes. Tom Francis on the brain.

I can relate. I'm still replaying Heat Signature every now and then, hoping that more content will materialize itself.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Jack Trades posted:

It's a bit of an aside but I've always been extremely extremely annoyed at the thoughtless design of the reward screen in all of the modern deckbuilders.

The card "rewards" are big, shiny, fancy graphics, right in the middle of the screen, big buttons tempting you to press them and make number go up....and they're a huge loving trap, tricking you into playing the game wrong.
95% of the time the actual correct option is to press the small, nondescript button in the corner that makes you forfeit your so called "reward" for no satisfying gain other than an actual stronger deck.

Knowing when to take a card reward or not is explicitly part of the gameplay of a deck builder? I am curious as to what you think the alternative is? A big X in the middle of the screen saying "sorry, I know you just killed a baddie but we don't have anything for you"?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

thehoodie posted:

Knowing when to take a card reward or not is explicitly part of the gameplay of a deck builder? I am curious as to what you think the alternative is? A big X in the middle of the screen saying "sorry, I know you just killed a baddie but we don't have anything for you"?

Making the "don't take a card" option be roughly the same size and also be placed in the middle to signify it being at least as important as taking a card would be a good start.
You could also stop fooling people into thinking that taking a card is a "reward" when it isn't, to give them a proper context for figuring out how to optimally play the game.

I'm not a UI designer, so this is just amateurish theorizing, but a more thoughtful way of designing that screen would be something like...give you a big, shiny, convenient to press button for taking some generic number-go-up reward, maybe money in this game's case, and then have a buttons with the cards roughly the same size placed in a way that makes you move your finger slightly farther to get to pick a card to add.

That way you'd present the choices as they really are. The not-taking-the-card being the default one, that you should do most of the time, and then options to take a card being rarer, more deliberate.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'd love to see the concept behind Mystic Vale be worked into a slay the spire type deckbuilder. As in you have a deck of finite cards with multiple slots and you are actually adding effects to those slots so you never end up with more cards they just improve over the course of the game. I mean it's not bad design to have to make interesting choices and one of those choices be "don't take a card at all" but yeah it always feels like you're taking cards 10% of the time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Making the "don't take a card" option be roughly the same size and also be placed in the middle to signify it being at least as important as taking a card would be a good start.

It's in the same spot your class ability is. That location has great importance already. Also it is a lot bigger than the add buttons.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I must get all the cards, efficiency be damned!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Any minimal bullshit puzzle (prefer match 3) game? Everything these days just has so much poo poo stapled on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm afraid to look up when Merge Mayor was talked about here because I STILL play it near daily and it's one of the only minimal bullshit games I've latched onto.