Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Got the Artgerm Jean Grey in store today, got the base card from the only spotlight cache I opened and it looks like poo poo so I'm absolutely tempted but 1200 gold is a big ask in the current system... Still it IS pretty sweet tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

To save people wondering: the shop is now weighted to new variants, probably to increase FOMO. But they went a bit too far on it, as most people appear to be have six or more of the same options.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think I'm done with this game. I saved everything since the announcement, and that was only enough to barely get one spotlight cache (I got living tribunal). To get the next one, I'd have to either spend or grind way more than I want. There's a ton of cool cards on the horizon, but lol at getting to actually play them.

Luckily, duel force is pretty fun despite low jank the client is.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

SD should have their own game taken away from them, a la Child Protective Services

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
This spotlight update blows rear end. Too bad, because Snap is hella good and the cards and changes have been really interesting lately. I don't think I'll stick around if card acquisition is going to be this slow for series 3 complete players.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Pretty small amount of bonus value my rear end

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah that post is bonkers.

He's 'a little bit grumpy' players are gaming the system in their gacha, P2W, freemium, FOMO exploiting, increasingly blatant cash grab game. gently caress you buddy.

And the 'small amount' of bonus value is ludicrous.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lol. This team is so JV.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTVoCkPlgE&t=459s

lmao this is so loving bad. Start at time stamp. This system could have been decent and they got greedy with it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Devo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTVoCkPlgE&t=459s

lmao this is so loving bad. Start at time stamp. This system could have been decent and they got greedy with it.

Yeah I think I'm just not gonna touch spotlights for a while. Only got the knull variant so far but just the idea that my second roll could go like that is offputting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a badly thought out system. There is zero reason to not hoard spotlight caches. If their intention was to have players hoard their card acquisition for months on end mission accomplished I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Wave posted:

It's a badly thought out system. There is zero reason to not hoard spotlight caches. If their intention was to have players hoard their card acquisition for months on end mission accomplished I guess.
They certainly did a great job of that yes

I had not considered hoarding caches before this whole thing but they are basically telling you to do it

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You just have to. Right now the best target for most players is 07/25 with Darkhawk and High Evo. I haven't opened any yet and I think I'm going to skip this week after seeing Jean in action. I really, really want Jeff but now that the random spotlight isn't even guaranteed to get me a Snowguard I might just spend 6k tokens on him. Personally, I will probably open some caches next week to try to* get Iron Lad and then hold off on opening any for a long while. None of the new cards coming up are particularly exciting and this system seems to work better the less S4/S5 cards you have. I still really like this system for freshly completed or almost completed pool 3 players.

tl;dr: If you're nearly collection complete, hoard like a motherfucker until you really want something.

*editor's note: I don't have to try. I am guaranteed to get the Lad. I do enjoy that about this new system but it does definitely encourage box hoarding.

Devo fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

It's only worth opening them in a week where you both want the new card and have neither of the featured cards. Luckily we have them all mined through to the start of September, so we know when we have to save up by. If we were only learning a month ahead of time it still wouldn't be enough.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are they dropping any cards to series 3 before the end of the season or do we just not get that free card this time?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
As far as I can tell the entire point of the new system is to shove the new cards in your face more so you feel bad and consider spending money to try to get them

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Are they dropping any cards to series 3 before the end of the season or do we just not get that free card this time?
I wonder if any card will drop to series 3 ever again.

cinnamon rollout posted:

As far as I can tell the entire point of the new system is to shove the new cards in your face more so you feel bad and consider spending money to try to get them
It's to a.) stop the entire player base from buying the next high evo at the same time and b.) create situations where refreshing credits gets you something you really want.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 13, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I hope Tucker does deduct 1 gold from me. Every time I log in and see that 9 I'll remember how smart and cool I am.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Marx Headroom posted:

I hope Tucker does deduct 1 gold from me. Every time I log in and see that 9 I'll remember how smart and cool I am.

I'm going to upvote this so quickly

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I can't see myself hoarding anything honestly. I don't have the patience for it.

Also, does anyone else have a black screen for a few seconds during matchmaking after this patch? It always makes me think my phone screen turned off or something. Or sometimes it will hit Matchmaking and I don't even see my opponent, then it goes black for a few seconds before launching into the match.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Yes, I am also getting that black screen during matchmaking.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

It's only worth opening them in a week where you both want the new card and have neither of the featured cards. .

But what if you want the new card but DO have the featured cards? That was me, have Knull and LT... I did at least get the cool Knull variant, but the other Spotlight Cache turned into an Electro variant. No Jean Grey.

I did get Snowguard and Thanos from my regular caches, though, so...I guess there's that?

And looking ahead at the datamined Spotlight Caches, I'm in almost the same boat for every week. I don't have Kang for the week he's in it with Echo, but I do have Iron Lad, and I have both Darkhawk and High Evo for the week after... and Thanos (now) and Master Mold for the week after that...Looks like 8/8 is no new cards, and I have all three of those, so that's at least an easy "hold 'em" week.

Week of 8/15 I once again have the two non-new cards, same with 8/22, and 8/29...and 9/5

So...yeah, do I even have ANY optimal strategy for these?

I guess just don't open them if its a week where I don't have a strong desire for the new card that's released, and hope the week I DO open them all I luck into the new one I want?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I still get so much glee after stomping a Galactus player. gently caress that stupid card!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

New Leaf posted:

Also, does anyone else have a black screen for a few seconds during matchmaking after this patch? It always makes me think my phone screen turned off or something. Or sometimes it will hit Matchmaking and I don't even see my opponent, then it goes black for a few seconds before launching into the match.

Same here. It is very distracting and keeps making me think something went wrong.

Seems this patch may have introduced a fair amount of bugs. The cost reduction bug is particularly annoying. I wasn't able to pull a card with Magneto, which had its cost reduction stick, and fairly certain I would have had a good chance to win the match if I had been able to do that. Had to take a retreat instead. At least I'm glad I was aware of the bug to save some cubes.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

New Leaf posted:

gently caress that stupid card!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

But what if you want the new card but DO have the featured cards? That was me, have Knull and LT... I did at least get the cool Knull variant, but the other Spotlight Cache turned into an Electro variant. No Jean Grey.

I did get Snowguard and Thanos from my regular caches, though, so...I guess there's that?

And looking ahead at the datamined Spotlight Caches, I'm in almost the same boat for every week. I don't have Kang for the week he's in it with Echo, but I do have Iron Lad, and I have both Darkhawk and High Evo for the week after... and Thanos (now) and Master Mold for the week after that...Looks like 8/8 is no new cards, and I have all three of those, so that's at least an easy "hold 'em" week.

Week of 8/15 I once again have the two non-new cards, same with 8/22, and 8/29...and 9/5

So...yeah, do I even have ANY optimal strategy for these?

I guess just don't open them if its a week where I don't have a strong desire for the new card that's released, and hope the week I DO open them all I luck into the new one I want?
optimal strategy is to have four Spotlight caches ready for the weeks where there's something you want and hoard otherwise

if there was dupe protection on the mystery cards it'd probably be a little different but since there's not, gotta have four

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

You don't HAVE to do the optimal thing, but games like this are actively working against you if you don't in order to get into your wallet, so keep that in mind

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know, I didn't hoard and I don't feel like not having Jean is holding me back

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i'm just saying if there's something you really want you better have four caches, otherwise the RNG gods could slap you and that feels bad

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

cinnamon rollout posted:

You don't HAVE to do the optimal thing, but games like this are actively working against you if you don't in order to get into your wallet, so keep that in mind

While this is true, so far all of the new cards since High Evo and Zabu have not been meta-defining, and they’ve done a good job balancing the problem cards quickly. You don’t have to pay to win so much as you have to play long enough to be mostly pool 3 complete.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read

Devo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 13, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
it's kinda dumb jean and phoenix force can't really interact

MY LORE

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

While this is true, so far all of the new cards since High Evo and Zabu have not been meta-defining, and they’ve done a good job balancing the problem cards quickly. You don’t have to pay to win so much as you have to play long enough to be mostly pool 3 complete.

You don't have to pay and you definitely don't need all the cards, but you should be cognizant of how to best use spotlight caches, is all im saying, to keep an edge on the ever growing list of cards

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Whatever the specifics, they have to find a system that makes it feel fun/rewarding to open caches, while tantalizing us with juuuust few enough rewards that people feel like they could have more fun by spending money and whales by spewing money. It's an easy balance to gently caress up, because the other option it to just stop playing. There's plenty of other things to do.

The new system is boring. You get boring amounts of credits, a few—mostly disappointing—variants, and a bunch of caches where the optimal strategy is to not open them most of the time. And when you do open them, you know exactly what you are getting, so it feels like where you are often forced to buy stuff you don't want.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's just wild to me how many problems they've caused for themselves by not having caches auto-open. Like maybe its by design and lets hardcore players optimize but the gulf between hoarding and not is just too impactful now to ignore.

Despite everything I do think more random cards and fewer tokens is a good direction, but I also think they need to give more tokens than the current version and make the spotlights less of a waiting/optimization game. Having them auto claim and give 1k tokens+variant for a dupe would probably be a better system overall while actually being worse for me personally, but it would also make whales less exploitable so it wont happen.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

See that barely visible sparkly circle by their Lockjaw? That's a Spider-Ham, apparently. How many loving graphical errors are in this game? It can't be that hard to fix after this long..

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

New Leaf posted:

See that barely visible sparkly circle by their Lockjaw? That's a Spider-Ham, apparently. How many loving graphical errors are in this game? It can't be that hard to fix after this long..

Yeah, I've been using lockjaw a ton over the past few weeks and I have this kind of thing happen constantly. Also common has been (making up an example) dropping Cable on Lockjaw and Cable still showing as present instead of the new card that came out.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Lockjaw graphics errors was one of the things that was supposed to be fixed this patch but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Like I do with Lockjaw at an unfortunate rate, maybe they dropped Lockjaw's patch in the same lane as him without paying attention so it switched out.