Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ErrEff posted:

It's one of those ecommerce engagement features meant to "enhance your shopping experience" and "provide additional value", triggering after checkout in the hopes of funneling shoppers toward other stores that pay for ad placement (see here).

From one of Rokt's press releases:

I wonder what they’re basing their data off, because I’d argue that “just after I finished buying something” is the least likely time that I’m going to hop to another site and buy something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just wish GOG didn't trigger a credit card fraud alert so easily.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Prime Gaming's got a few decent free offerings right now:

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Steamworld Dig 2
Roguebook

Prey, which has been mentioned, is available for another 11 days for GOG through Prime, and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced is a GOG claim through Prime for 6 days

They've also got Autonauts, which has really positive reviews and I guess is a solid management crafting sim game for kids?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Franchescanado posted:

Prime Gaming's got a few decent free offerings right now:

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Steamworld Dig 2
Roguebook

Prey, which has been mentioned, is available for another 11 days for GOG through Prime, and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced is a GOG claim through Prime for 6 days

They've also got Autonauts, which has really positive reviews and I guess is a solid management crafting sim game for kids?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Train Valley 2 on EGS.
Has DLC but none are free.

Next week Murder by Numbers
A Picross like game.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

OgNar posted:

Next week Murder by Numbers
A Picross like game.

I played Murder by Numbers a while back, it's a cute little detective VN/picross game. A little heavy handed, but good. Starts really easy, but there's some tough picrosses by the end. Worth your time if you like either of those things.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

It also has a LOT of flashing lights in the VN scenes, which is why I returned it on Steam even though I love Picross games.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
https://www.gog.com/redeem/SRC842E73FDD1AEC81
Prey @GOG

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I wonder what they’re basing their data off, because I’d argue that “just after I finished buying something” is the least likely time that I’m going to hop to another site and buy something.

This stuff is so dumb. I remember buying some jeans off Lucky's website once, and then almost all the ads I saw were for Luck jeans.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

At least you get it for the stuff you wanted, all my ads are always for the crap I passed over.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

This stuff is so dumb. I remember buying some jeans off Lucky's website once, and then almost all the ads I saw were for Luck jeans.

the cunning marketing strategy would be to feed customers who bought a product ads for the product at inflated prices, so the perceived value is higher, resulting in more satisfaction and lower return rate

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Epic also apparently briefly posted that Elder Scrolls Online would be free next week too, but it's disappeared for now.

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1679590736247783425?t=kOzBSax_x6pI1PE8Vxnfcg&s=19

I've not played it, but as I understand it, it's got a reasonable amount of content without DLCs but if you really get into the game the monthly pass thing is a virtual requirement. Also it's got an expensive cash shop that gets all the good looking gear.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wouldn't say mandatory but ESO+ gives you all the DLC packs (note these are different than expansions), a stipend of crowns and the material bag. If you're not crafting you don't need the latter and even then you can get by without it, it's just that your bank will be filled with moonsugar (you can also just pay once every blue moon and dump stuff in there, you can pull things out without being subbed).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How's the combat?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

More MMO than RPG but not fully cooldown bar based. I ultimately didn't wind up falling in love with ESO but I tend not to like MMOs and this one was okay. It has dungeons and raiding like you would expect but I had a lot of fun just noodling around in the cities and robbing stuff, and you can play the game like that even if you are missing out on stuff. Plus it was fun, there were actually players and enough NPCs in cities. I never looked up ~optimal builds~ online but it's the sort of game where you can do just fine without that if you have a good understanding of how to build characters in games.

There's also pvp and it's okay. It has a really strong meta component but it turns out it's really easy to surprise people if you don't play meta and that was kinda fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tunicate posted:

the cunning marketing strategy would be to feed customers who bought a product ads for the product at inflated prices, so the perceived value is higher, resulting in more satisfaction and lower return rate

I just bought jeans, I tend to wear my jeans until they are in pieces, I'm not going to need new jeans for months or years, depending on how many I currently own. You are showing me ads for a product I have no intention of buying again for a very long time.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

chird posted:

Epic also apparently briefly posted that Elder Scrolls Online would be free next week too, but it's disappeared for now.

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1679590736247783425?t=kOzBSax_x6pI1PE8Vxnfcg&s=19

I've not played it, but as I understand it, it's got a reasonable amount of content without DLCs but if you really get into the game the monthly pass thing is a virtual requirement. Also it's got an expensive cash shop that gets all the good looking gear.

yeah, a few of the base game zones are good, and if the Morrowind expansion is included it is pretty great, but the vast majority of the content youll want to play and cool side systems are behind the paywall. you will not get very far if you want to play Fashion Scrolls and theres all sorts of MTX snares and pitfalls that the truly frugal gamer will find distasteful. itll probably be F2P soon enough too and this is just a test run HOWEVER if you dont act now youll miss out on $19.99 worth of free games you shouldnt play!!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Another GOG freebie out of nowhere: The Whisperer

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How does the amazon prime gaming thing work? It keeps saying to download their gaming app/program

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

How does the amazon prime gaming thing work? It keeps saying to download their gaming app/program

You download their launcher, enter amazon creds, start downloading the game, ignore the launcher ever existed once it finished installing the game.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Elder Scrolls Online has tons of side quests I love and they're fully voice acted. Full controller support too. Great game to just fool around with for the enjoyable little stories.

The draw of subscription is the crafting material bag of infinite holding and access to all expansions. If you don't craft heavily it makes no sense to sub IMO, just buy all the expansions for $60 instead if you want to play them.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No punchmans class in ESO? No sale.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

ilmucche posted:

SlowBloke posted:

You download their launcher, enter amazon creds, start downloading the game, ignore the launcher ever existed once it finished installing the game.

In addition to the app, there are certain games where you get a code from another company like GoG.
Just go to their page and click on Weekly Game.
New stuff comes out on Thursdays.
https://gaming.amazon.com/home

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Unless ESO has significantly changed then the base game gives you a pretty huge amount of content before the expansions kick in. It was pretty decent content too, although I'm one of the rare people that didn't like the "One Tamriel" shift.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
ESO is alright with the caveat that it's still an MMO and a theme park-y one at that. Like a 5 or 6 out of 10 experience that gets a bonus point or two for being so thoroughly Elder Scrolls-y.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eso was how i figured out that i was permanently done with mmo's. thanks, eso!

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
eso would be pretty great if it weren't for the lovely inventory space if you don't pay per month

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I never had a problem with inventory space.

Although I only ever grinded dungeons, because it was more efficient and I like being a tank.

In first person.

I guess that's why I stopped when I hit the level cap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1681317324924801026?s=20

Technically a free game

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The gently caress is a level 3 Alienware member is this scientology?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a fuckin' app they got or something.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The gently caress is a level 3 Alienware member is this scientology?

A daily grind of "engagement" via their website. Yes, it's just as thrilling and worthwhile as it sounds.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Waffleman_ posted:

Technically a free game

Not even close waffle man

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Now if you could still win the contest in the game, then they’d have something going for it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Invalid Validation posted:

Now if you could still win the contest in the game, then they’d have something going for it.
LOL talking about free games, I bought Advent Rising at launch and when they cancelled the contest, I managed to redeem their consolation prizes of a couple free XBox games.
Wouldn't have won the million anyway, so not a bad deal.

EDIT: ah, found a news story about that:

quote:

For those who did try the contest and want something for their efforts, Majesco is offering a choice of 2 free games for those who send in their game's UPC and a copy of the user's Xbox Live Gamertag. The games you can choose from are BloodRayne 2, Guilty Gear X2 Reload, Psychonauts, Raze's Hell, and Phantom Dust.
I think I chose Phantom Dust and Psychonauts.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

JazzFlight posted:

RIP

Guilty Gear X2 Reload was awesome. HEAVEN OR HELL… LET’S ROCK

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

LOL talking about free games, I bought Advent Rising at launch and when they cancelled the contest, I managed to redeem their consolation prizes of a couple free XBox games.
Wouldn't have won the million anyway, so not a bad deal.

EDIT: ah, found a news story about that:

I will always have Advent Rising to thank for introducing me to Guilty Gear, a game series I would have dismissed otherwise. I think Phantom Dust was also my other game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a fuckin' app they got or something.

you start out at level 1 and have to grind some stupid daily missions to level up in order to be able to collect this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you start out at level 1 and have to grind some stupid daily missions to level up in order to be able to collect this

That's dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Next you're going to tell me they want my email too.