Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/JayCuda/status/1679265254524452866?s=20

:mets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The only way to stop the Atlanta Baseball Braves from hitting homeruns is to not schedule the Atlanta Baseball Braves for a baseball game

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

They actually reduced the patch size on the Mets jersey and switch it to use their colours.

Well that's good because :lmao: it was such a bad patch.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

that'd require he hit what, .420 in the second half?

hell yeah brother :rznv:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I decided to try out Effectively Wild and it seems like a really good podcast. They’re awkward baseball nerds and it owns. I like that they’re not too whiny and whatever, seems like they genuinely love the game. I remember hearing they’re a little business side/politics heavy but I’m not getting that impression. I don’t know what my point is here I just felt like mentioning it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol I hate this so fuckin much

Chris Sale was a prophet and didn't fully understand his visions.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I decided to try out Effectively Wild and it seems like a really good podcast. They’re awkward baseball nerds and it owns. I like that they’re not too whiny and whatever, seems like they genuinely love the game. I remember hearing they’re a little business side/politics heavy but I’m not getting that impression. I don’t know what my point is here I just felt like mentioning it.
listen to episode 762

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

The Jays have the same record as the Stros, this is some next level managing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I like Effectively Wild, they aren't insufferable and seem earnest in what they do. I may be biased as Me Growly is a Mariners fan and was head of Lookout Landing.

bawfuls posted:

listen to episode 762

Is that the one about the A's player's "hinders" as Me Growly said?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Orioles are probably the saddest entry on the list since they famously do not participate in international signings, meaning their player development pipeline has been complete poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tadashi posted:

The Orioles are probably the saddest entry on the list since they famously do not participate in international signings, meaning their player development pipeline has been complete poo poo.

Isn't the story of the Os recent success about just having prospect after prospect come up and perform?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, they have a political leaning (vaguely Bernie-esque left/left center) but it doesn't much come up.

The leftist baseball podcast is Tipping Pitches, the nerd one is EW, and the gay one is Batting Around.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tadashi posted:

Elias changed this and they now do it

zoux posted:

Isn't the story of the Os recent success about just having prospect after prospect come up and perform?

Yes basically they were a sub-.500 team until adley was brought up. they also have some good luck with reclamation projects and even rule 5 success with santander.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tadashi posted:

Didn’t Dan Duquette get the team banned from like South Korea at one point

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's pretty funny that the Yankee number is so high but they are all like number 4 starters or RP's.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t Dan Duquette get the team banned from like South Korea at one point

lol yeah after they signed a 17 year old.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm honestly surprised the Rangers are that high on this list. If you were to change it to aggregate WAR by draft picks, its probably negative.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty funny that the Yankee number is so high but they are all like number 4 starters or RP's.

Yeah the endless assembly line of huge white dudes that look like they eat hay, throw 98 with movement and get injured within a year makes that number seem a lot more meaningful than it is.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yeah the endless assembly line of huge white dudes that look like they eat hay, throw 98 with movement and get injured within a year makes that number seem a lot more meaningful than it is.

Wait is this not the Rays?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You still need #4 starters and relief pitchers. Anyone who makes the big leagues is in the top fractional percent of baseball talent in the world. Or a guy who can play first AND third.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The yankees are probably the best organization in baseball at producing RP's TBH.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Should the Mets sell or buy at the deadline

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Should the Mets sell or buy at the deadline

Buy. They have no one to sell that anyone wants and unlimited money.

https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1679483384236593156
If you put Ohtani on the yankees, they still are a borderline wild card team.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 13, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is zero chance they pay what it would cost to get him, on top of the fact that LA wouldn't deal him

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ohtani is going to the Cubs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

that'd require he hit what, .420 in the second half?

I can guarantee that Cody Bellinger will hit 420 in the second half

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1679506950952812544

eugh

At least Gallo is only on a one year deal but I keep feeling this dread that they're going to pick up Kepler's option because Falvey seems infatuated by the guy for some reason.

Meanwhile, Matt Wallner this year had a short stint in the majors, completely mashed, then got sent back down because :confused: and has continued to mash in AAA

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 13, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

^^^ do this for the Yankees now and it will make the Twins look great.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Somewhere, Mark Prior is seething

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

^^^ do this for the Yankees now and it will make the Twins look great.

it's unfair for the yankees because half their payroll is a guy who hasn't played for two months and might not play for the rest of the year

the real answer though is 6.1 bWAR (e: for the four highest paid players, which is half the yankees payroll)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 13, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

it's unfair for the yankees because half their payroll is a guy who hasn't played for two months and might not play for the rest of the year

the real answer though is 6.1 bWAR (e: for the four highest paid players, which is half the yankees payroll)

Well you can't really do the same thing with the Yankees because Rodon hasn't pitched and Cole has been good. I'm talking about their 6 highest paid hitters which gets you to 5.5WAR so far which includes Judge's 2.8 through 49 games. Without him it's 3 WAR total from 5 players making ~100 million this year.

LOL @ Anthony Volpe having the second highest WAR of the Yankees' position players with 1.4...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Well you can't really do the same thing with the Yankees because Rodon hasn't pitched and Cole has been good. I'm talking about their 6 highest paid hitters which gets you to 5.5WAR so far which includes Judge's 2.8 through 49 games. Without him it's 3 WAR total from 5 players making ~100 million this year.

LOL @ Anthony Volpe having the second highest WAR of the Yankees' position players with 1.4...

that's fair, I should have done it that way. Although the article does mention pace so that Yankees number is really almost ten compared to the six from the Twins players.

Also ~100 million is less than 40% of the Yankees payroll instead of over half like with the Twins :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 13, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

At least Gallo is only on a one year deal but I keep feeling this dread that they're going to pick up Kepler's option because Falvey seems infatuated by the guy for some reason.

It's because he's cute as heck, op.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1679537120673685511

Attn cubs posters

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mostly unrelated, but I unironically love this movie. Dude is one of the best villains of the '80s. Just an absolute beast of a bad guy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Astros I hate today feel so much different from the Astros I hated before they switched leagues

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

I'm honestly shocked the Royals are in the middle of the pack given how poo poo their scouting and player development has been for the past ~8 years. A list of their cumulative WAR would be a lot uglier for them.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Graduating a bunch of garbage will do that for those numbers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Its Rinaldo posted:

Graduating a bunch of garbage will do that for those numbers

yeah when you slash payroll as low as possible you gotta fill those roster spots from somewhere and it's not gonna be free agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dang Cubs 2024 season is going right into the trashcan early.