Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

PantsBandit posted:

Any functionality tied to clicking a stick immediately gets mapped to a back button for me.

Back a page, but I'm trying to do this with Kena:Bridge of Spirits but it doesn't register them when I try to remap (remapping to other buttons works fine). Anyone run into anything like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sloppy posted:

Back a page, but I'm trying to do this with Kena:Bridge of Spirits but it doesn't register them when I try to remap (remapping to other buttons works fine). Anyone run into anything like this?

Did you enable the back paddles in the controller config?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Subjunctive posted:

Did you enable the back paddles in the controller config?

Derp, there it is. Thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tango alpha delta posted:

Manually optimizing games for the deck is actually a fun little mini game and I’m learning a bit about low powered hardware at the same time.

A good starting point in my experience is start at low and crank the textures up. Though it's always fun to see how badly a modern game will run cranked up to ultra, I think Bob Wulff tried running Apex at 4K through the dock and got sub-1fps.

Humble have a cyberpunk bundle up right now which I grabbed, all of the games in it are verified or playable on Deck.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Thanks for the posts about Dolphin's controls.

I've been on a huge Alien kick (thanks Dark Descent) and I just a saw Colonial Marines was $5 and runs on Deck so I finally get to try thatZ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Beastie posted:

I've been on a huge Alien kick (thanks Dark Descent) and I just a saw Colonial Marines was $5 and runs on Deck so I finally get to try thatZ

Be sure to fix the typo to make the game actually run how it was intended to.

quote:

Late last year James Dickinson revealed that changing an apparent spelling mistake in an INI file from "Teather" to "Tether" creates a huge change in how the alien Xenomorphs track and attack the player throughout the game. If you fix it to look like the above and then play the game, the difference is pretty crazy!

Fixing the problem is as simple as removing the extra 'a' that appears in that line of PecanEngine. ini, which by default you can find in the My Documents\My Games\Aliens Colonial Marines\PecanGame\Config folder

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Be sure to fix the typo to make the game actually run how it was intended to.

Ha! Mine was in a slightly different spot but that took two seconds of searching and editing. Cheers.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I had to RMA my Deck due to an intermittent APU crash and the process was relatively painless and quick. Got my new Deck today and I swear it runs smoother and with better battery life than the previous one. Bonus: the vent smell is back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Colonial marines is an absolute pile of poo poo game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tayter Swift posted:

Temtem was Tem-pting (heh) but it's a bit pricy and comments suggest they're loving around with microtransactions.

Temtem is in July's Humble Choice which might be a way to get it cheaper. After a long stretch of skipping it every month Choice has actually had a decent run of good games (for me at least)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Colonial marines is an absolute pile of poo poo game

It's a fun drunk co-op romp

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tayter Swift posted:

Temtem was Tem-pting (heh) but it's a bit pricy and comments suggest they're loving around with microtransactions.

As mentioned above, it's in the July bundle which I have, but I don't care for TemTem. Don't have PMs, but if you can post a throwable email address or steam ID, I can send you the key.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Detective No. 27 posted:

Linus would have been exactly the same type of person who would have hyped up the Game Gear over Game Boy back in 1991 because the Game Gear had color and was more powerful.

Yeah he's also the one guy on the internet still making GBS threads on Apple hardware like it's 2003, he just doesn't really seem to really value things like user experience, convenience or stuff being built nice. I think his stance is perfectly valid even if I don't agree with it, it just gets kind of annoying when there's hordes of people for whom he's their end all be all source on all things tech who then act like anyone who doesn't agree with their 'objective' correct opinion is an idiot making their decisions out of ignorance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beastie posted:

I'm going to assume that you've played Alien: Isolation.

You have played that, right?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snackula posted:

Yeah he's also the one guy on the internet still making GBS threads on Apple hardware like it's 2003, he just doesn't really seem to really value things like user experience, convenience or stuff being built nice. I think his stance is perfectly valid even if I don't agree with it, it just gets kind of annoying when there's hordes of people for whom he's their end all be all source on all things tech who then act like anyone who doesn't agree with their 'objective' correct opinion is an idiot making their decisions out of ignorance.

I dunno, I've tried various Macs/MacOS versions over the years, and I've never found the UX to be any better than Windows. In fact, given the dominance of Windows in the market, it's it's somewhat worse because there are features/quirks that don't translate between the two.

And nothing about Apple products is "high quality" enough to justify the prices they charge. It's a blatant cash grab to charge as much as they do for the products they offer.

For 90% of casual users, an Apple product is a status symbol, not a "superior" value.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Talorat posted:

Bonus: the vent smell is back.

can I RMA my deck becuase my vent smell is gone?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'd buy this despite not owning a car

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tater_salad posted:

can I RMA my deck becuase my vent smell is gone?

Yes but you have to email gabe directly

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yes but you have to email gabe directly

I already wrote him one

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Annath posted:

I dunno, I've tried various Macs/MacOS versions over the years, and I've never found the UX to be any better than Windows. In fact, given the dominance of Windows in the market, it's it's somewhat worse because there are features/quirks that don't translate between the two.

And nothing about Apple products is "high quality" enough to justify the prices they charge. It's a blatant cash grab to charge as much as they do for the products they offer.

For 90% of casual users, an Apple product is a status symbol, not a "superior" value.

LMAO

iPads are the only tablet device worth the money because they have absolutely superb apps for composing music, 3d sculpting and 2D drawing. Android devices simply don’t have the same software selection.

The Steamdeck is also an amazing product and an incredible value for what it offers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re an artsy fartsy type of any stripe you’re already almost guaranteed to be in the Apple ecosystem because that’s who they’ve been targeting forever so of course you’ll like the iPad

If you just want a rectangle to poke at the internet on there are plenty of perfectly cromulent other tablets, you just have to not buy the cheapest and shittiest thing possible just like in most every other ‘what should I buy?’ scenario.

My tablets exist solely as e-readers for pdfs and comic books and even from a storage perspective alone lol gently caress off with your pricing model and lack of expansion Apple.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re an artsy fartsy type of any stripe you’re already almost guaranteed to be in the Apple ecosystem because that’s who they’ve been targeting forever so of course you’ll like the iPad

If you just want a rectangle to poke at the internet on there are plenty of perfectly cromulent other tablets, you just have to not buy the cheapest and shittiest thing possible just like in most every other ‘what should I buy?’ scenario.

My tablets exist solely as e-readers for pdfs and comic books and even from a storage perspective alone lol gently caress off with your pricing model and lack of expansion Apple.

I’m an artist and worked in IT for twenty years, so appreciate both sides. For getting poo poo done Linux and Windows dominate, but Apple poo poo just lets me doodle whenever the mood strikes. I also am really enjoying tweaking my Steamdeck so that I can play Mass Effect for 4 hours at 60 fps. The Deck is amazing at low power.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 13, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

I don’t want this to end up in a Windows/Mac derail, but I converted to Apple for my phone and computing needs last year and I just can’t go back to Android/Windows*. Say what you want about the price and how people treat them as status symbols, they understand the user experience. I messed around with a friend’s Windows phone in the early smart phone era and good lord was it a nightmare to use.

*Ironically I ended up building a gaming PC just last weekend. Video games are Apple’s gigantic blind spot.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Cromulent tablets

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Every OS or ~ECOSYSTEM~ is poo poo in their own fun and unique ways.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

3ds has games and wicked awesome themes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This game gonna run so well on the Deck if the floor for 720p is a 7-8 year old GPU.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 13, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Interesting that SSD isn’t in the minimum spec, rift apart was the game they made the biggest song and dance about needing their special solid state drive loading magic to play on PS5 so if it also works on mechanical drives that’s lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m really interested in the DF review of that game. I remember Sony’s marketing for the PS5 version focused on how the speed of the SSD made the game impossible to run on PS4. I’m curious to see how the PC version acts when it’s played off a HDD, unless it’s one of the games like Starfield or the upcoming Cyberpunk update that doesn’t allow HDDs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Dreamcast theme for the 3DS is unbelievably good

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
RAM! Faster than SSD! Only on PS6

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Interesting that SSD isn’t in the minimum spec, rift apart was the game they made the biggest song and dance about needing their special solid state drive loading magic to play on PS5 so if it also works on mechanical drives that’s lol
You mean they lied to us? OUTRAGEOUS! I demand to see Sony's manager!

I also watched that video and while I'm sure it helps with the PS5 (probably a bandwidth thing), porting to PC gives a lot more oomph to work with. You have to remember that these consoles are like several year old PCs whittled down to do only one thing.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tango alpha delta posted:

LMAO

iPads are the only tablet device worth the money because they have absolutely superb apps for composing music, 3d sculpting and 2D drawing. Android devices simply don’t have the same software selection.

This is 100% true and also really unfortunate, because Samsung makes some incredibly nice tablet hardware. I have a Tab S8 Ultra that I was given as a gift by a client and the writing experience on it absolutely blows my iPad Pro out of the water.

...but I use the iPad for basically everything because Android's tablet software is mostly garbage and that experience falls apart as soon as you move away from Samsung's first party apps. But holy poo poo it's depressing how nice that tablet is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m really interested in the DF review of that game. I remember Sony’s marketing for the PS5 version focused on how the speed of the SSD made the game impossible to run on PS4. I’m curious to see how the PC version acts when it’s played off a HDD, unless it’s one of the games like Starfield or the upcoming Cyberpunk update that doesn’t allow HDDs.

DF tested slower than spec SSDs with it and found that while performance was about equal, they did have more texture pop-in and some noticable loading stutters. So I expect HDDs might be like that, possibly even with full bore loading screens added between areas. It's also telling that HDDs are only listed for absolute minimum specs, presumably where textures and models are small enough that they can be streamed in from an HDD fast enough.

Still, probably going to be able to manage a solid 60fps at low settings on Deck and almost certainly 40fps at medium, maybe even high.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's a fun drunk co-op romp

Throwing rocks at each other is more entertaining when you're drunk too

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

RAM! Faster than SSD! Only on PS6

smh if you're not installing games to a 128 GB RAM Drive for fastest I/O physically possible.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

This is 100% true and also really unfortunate, because Samsung makes some incredibly nice tablet hardware. I have a Tab S8 Ultra that I was given as a gift by a client and the writing experience on it absolutely blows my iPad Pro out of the water.

...but I use the iPad for basically everything because Android's tablet software is mostly garbage and that experience falls apart as soon as you move away from Samsung's first party apps. But holy poo poo it's depressing how nice that tablet is.

the android tablet ecosystem is trash, and has been since it's inception. Issue is no one wants to develop for 90000 different use cases. iPad is one to 5 devices.. not 100s of lovely amazon tablets.

Guys what are the brotato strats here.. I bought it on goon recommendation but like.. the arena's so small and i dont know what I"m doing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

brotato is like a flash game it's fine but theres gotta be half a dozen better VS knockoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Guys what are the brotato strats here.. I bought it on goon recommendation but like.. the arena's so small and i dont know what I"m doing.

If you go back a few pages there’s lots of brótano talk here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

It’s pretty much the general thread for these types of games at this point.

Yeah I didn’t care for the game much. It’s not bad I just didn’t click with it.