Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1679402855537704962

We have now officially entered the find out phase of the gently caress around find out plan from Executives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The little supervillain monologue from AMPTP probably helped this along.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SAG-AFTRA strike will be announced at 12pm PDT today.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
is the nanny (fran drescher) going to be the one to announce that actors are going on strike? should be a fun moment in hollywood history

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm in the (sadly, not unionized) VFX industry, mainly television work. Writing is at the start of the process, we're in the middle/end.

The TV VFX industry has been absolutely decimated by the writer's strike. Smaller to mid-sized VFX companies have been laying off a ton of their staff as work dries up, and there are no hiring positions out there - feels like the first months of lockdown and Covid as things shutdown and there are no protocols in place.

The unfortunate thing I'm seeing, especially on LinkedIn, is a growing resentment towards the writers being on strike for "so long". There's a small contingent of "just put up with it, you see us in VFX putting up with garbage, you take the garbage too, you're being selfish". It's a tiny, tiny movement, but it sucks that it's only been something like 2-3 months and VFX people are already feeling confident enough to post it.

I get where the resentment is coming from - I was laid off about two weeks into the strike - but it's also short-sighted resentment. The AI stuff to replace writers will only go into VFX down the line (and is in the baby stages already, with the Secret Invasion credits sequence as an example). Everyone knows folks like Marvel and DC would love the VFX process to be quicker, cheaper, easier, and have less human foibles to keep pumping out 5 movies and shows a year. If the WGA can stop that AI blood-letting, VFX and other departments will end up in a better place in the long run.

Rant over. The WGA rules, I think the SAG strike will show us all who the real scabs are (isn't it super lucky you suddenly got improv-heavy-and-daily-script-doctored Deadpool 3 to film in London far away from American writers, Ryan Reynolds?), and it's a very interesting time to be in the industry.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Same here (TV/feature VFX for me).

I have lots of thoughts on our industry, but the thing that stands out the most is how VFX has tried to position itself as an independent piece of the pipeline.

The industry wanted to have complete control over everything, and spouted all sorts of nonsense about how we were better for not having a union.
Decades of that has led to the viewpoint being internalized and oof, we’re in such a bad way. It’s been a massacre at VFX studios this year, and even if writers and actors get everything they want, VFX will be worse off and the narrative will be “writers and actors are spoiled and don’t care about artists”.

A part of me hopes this collapses VFX, so we can start over with a union. It’s gonna fail eventually, I just hope it happens in a way that doesn’t entrench the anti-union attitudes more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

From Twitter: "TIL that when SAG went on strike in 1960, the writers had already been on strike for five weeks and the studios brought in a federal mediator to find resolution.

Their main issue was residuals and a lack of transparency on the 12-year-old "new medium" of broadcasting."

Hmmm. You know? Hmmm.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I desperately want VFX to unionize :sigh: you guys get kicked around so bad it's depressing. You guys are so talented and deserve so much better for carrying the industry on you backs for the past 15+ years

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

From Twitter: "TIL that when SAG went on strike in 1960, the writers had already been on strike for five weeks and the studios brought in a federal mediator to find resolution.

Their main issue was residuals and a lack of transparency on the 12-year-old "new medium" of broadcasting."

Hmmm. You know? Hmmm.

From the NYT on March 8, 1960:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
[clutches pearls, rushes to fainting couch] oh no, goodness me, the filthy writers and actors are being most uncouth and disruptive! remind me how much money you made last year, Bob

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1679476662994436098

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Barry Convex posted:

[clutches pearls, rushes to fainting couch] oh no, goodness me, the filthy writers and actors are being most uncouth and disruptive! remind me how much money you made last year, Bob

Remember when everyone was praising this guy's return to Disney like he was some great savior? Or did that not extend outside of Florida?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

Why, over 45 million! I'm glad he's here to tell people how much they should make.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

thrawn527 posted:

Remember when everyone was praising this guy's return to Disney like he was some great savior? Or did that not extend outside of Florida?

Idk if I'd say praising was the prevailing attitude but more "oh cool, this guy is an rear end in a top hat but he's going after an even bigger rear end in a top hat (DeSantis)" kind of vibe.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Handsome Ralph posted:

Idk if I'd say praising was the prevailing attitude but more "oh cool, this guy is an rear end in a top hat but he's going after an even bigger rear end in a top hat (DeSantis)" kind of vibe.

And that he was slightly better about paying employees fairly than Chapek

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Handsome Ralph posted:

That came a little later. When he came back, I remember people saying he was going to fix the movies, and fix the parks, as if several of the things people were complaining about weren't put in place by Iger in the first place before he left.

Again, this praise may not have extended outside of Florida. It may have had more to do with the parks (like the new FastPass system, or whatever they're calling it. Genie+, I think?). And it was always dumb anyway.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 13, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Again, this praise may not have extended outside of Florida. It may have had more to do with the parks (like the new FastPass system, or whatever they're calling it. Genie+, I think?). And it was always dumb anyway.

If I remember right it was the Park People who were really thankful he was back, yeah.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's also easy to look decent next to ike perlmutter and bob chapek tbf

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The unfortunate thing I'm seeing, especially on LinkedIn, is a growing resentment towards the writers being on strike for "so long". There's a small contingent of "just put up with it, you see us in VFX putting up with garbage, you take the garbage too, you're being selfish". It's a tiny, tiny movement, but it sucks that it's only been something like 2-3 months and VFX people are already feeling confident enough to post it.

I'd also totally believe this is being seeded, and isn't showing up organically. Especially on linkedin.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You don't need a psyop to explain "Americans not showing class solidarity".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Iirc Ronald Reagan was the last SAG person to lead a strike simultaneously with the WGA.

Of course he was also trying to blacklist actors on a communist witchunt in Hollywood back then too.

He turned out just fine and loved unions in his later career, didn't he?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

If I remember right it was the Park People who were really thankful he was back, yeah.

Yeah if you watch Tasting History with Max Miller he has a whole video about why he worked 20 years in Disneyland kitchens but he's not going back after Chapek

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the last guy hiked prices twice last year. Once was the expected general hike during the preseason.

The second was hiking the annual pass during a time of heavy demand destruction during the summer when inflation and gas prices were killing trip spend. Their reasoning was that annual pass purchasers are typically local and they'd be staying more local if it cost too much to drive anywhere.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress Bob iger

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

Bob Iger gave himself less restrictions on his future bonuses, along with a payrise and a new two year contract, he did this yesterday.
https://twitter.com/lisa_curry/status/1679534312939479060?t=-7RVy1is35xB84Npj9N4uQ&s=19

And a writer for She Hulk had this to say about streaming residuals for a hit show. His episode earned him $396 in residuals
https://twitter.com/yayforzig/status/1679502095244996609?t=adsFzaihQmLWceKaMTvcjQ&s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's the insane thing in these. The CEOs could take like a 70% pay cut, fund literally all the financial demands for this and probably the next 3 negotiations, and STILL be making an inhuman amount of money that no one person could spend in a lifetime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s old hat at this point but the ruling class doesn’t view money in that way. their wealth is a given no matter what, but if the number goes down it represents a reduction in their power and maintaining that power is the main and probably only thing that drives them through life

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/live/TsI9kPTtM8A?feature=share

Live stream of the announcement if sag is going to strike (they are)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE&t=48s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cast of Oppenheimer was at the London premiere and they all walked out to join the strike.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm in the (sadly, not unionized) VFX industry, mainly television work. Writing is at the start of the process, we're in the middle/end.

The TV VFX industry has been absolutely decimated by the writer's strike. Smaller to mid-sized VFX companies have been laying off a ton of their staff as work dries up, and there are no hiring positions out there - feels like the first months of lockdown and Covid as things shutdown and there are no protocols in place.

I really don't understand why IATSE don't just fold in vfx artists. They're set builders, makeup artists, and countless other things that are already in the union. Doing that poo poo digitally shouldn't exempt you, and they'd get a huge influx of dues-paying members and would be huge fuckin' heroes.

thrawn527 posted:

Jason is the babyface in the Jason vs. Freddy fight, but that didn't make him a good dude.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, strike is on.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Didn't expect Fran Dresher to be a part of the revolution but here we are

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Confusedslight posted:

Uh, well, about that

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah was she dragged kicking and screaming into supporting the strike or what?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Confusedslight posted:

In 1960 SAG went on Strike for six weeks led by Ronald Reagan who was the president of the union.

He later became president of the United States.

Past trends mean Fran Drescher will soon become president of the United States.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

drunkill posted:

Past trends mean Fran Drescher will soon become president of the United States.

We've done worse

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1679533243299684365

Like I get that the entire Hollywood press corp has been doing poo poo like this since the WGA strike started, but this is so loving scummy.

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
I'm reflexively defending The Nanny, so I might be wrong, but she's been president for a couple years and seems to have been on the right side of the strike planning. Here's an article from a couple weeks ago where she signed support for the strike:
https://deadline.com/2023/06/sag-aftra-prepared-to-strike-letter-1000-signatures-fran-drescher-1235426575/

She took some heat from members a couple of days ago for doing some promo work in Italy in the days leading up to the strike, but I can't find anything but Twitter flames about actual disappointment in her

Edit: oof, eating my words already .. here she is kind of saying the actors would negotiate better than the writers, not very solidarity like:
https://www.avclub.com/fran-drescher-clarifies-disappointing-picket-line-comme-1850426360

Also, apparently she's spent some political capital fighting against COVID shot mandates on sets and defending the anti-vaxxers

Sigh

Tragicomic fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 13, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1679533243299684365

Like I get that the entire Hollywood press corp has been doing poo poo like this since the WGA strike started, but this is so loving scummy.

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1679541297122533402?s=20

Yeah, that's some bullshit from Hollywood Press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't understand why IATSE don't just fold in vfx artists. They're set builders, makeup artists, and countless other things that are already in the union. Doing that poo poo digitally shouldn't exempt you, and they'd get a huge influx of dues-paying members and would be huge fuckin' heroes.

IATSE is already fairly unwieldy and has trouble representing all of its members well. It's really awkward to write a deal that covers writer's room assistants and script supervisors, but also grips and lighting technicians. You like... need to have make up artists willing to strike over assistants not getting writing credits they might deserve, or editors being willing to strike over on-set hours, and that's just very hard to do! You can't just say "solidarity" is great as a concept, you need the people bargaining to have similar interests in order to really hold together during negos.

Adding VFX artists under the same agreement would make it even harder to represent members well, because everybody's specific concerns would get further diluted. VFX artists have a lot to gain from unionisation, but just jumping into the IATSE fold seems like the wrong approach to me.