Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ok i just checked akron on redfin an over 70% of available houses are listed for under $150,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

when I was a kid, while riding with my friends in a mini-van we would poke fun at each other while passing lovely looking houses:

"there's Kevin's house! haha"

now those houses are out of reach for my adult self.

owned

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

in all seriousness I imagine if you want an affordable house to raise kids you could do worse than Akron. people I know say it has "gotten better" whatever that means. they could be delusional.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

there's always

*checks notes*

Akron Ohio

LeBron Jamestown ftw

Troutful
May 31, 2011

home ec classroom (private school)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm not a house expert but maybe this is a better deal than buying a horrid depressing modified office building in San Rafael, CA for a half a mil

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ok i just checked akron on redfin an over 70% of available houses are listed for under $150,000

This one looks deece

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2280-Eastwood-Ave_Akron_OH_44305_M47480-45615?from=srp-list-card

Pretty much anything anywhere that's desirable is going for a shitload more than that market would deem reasonable. When people talk about areas with cheap housing, they're talking about the bottom of the market.

Looks pretty reasonable to us but this is an insanely depressed area and that's about six times median household income there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

check this access bridge

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4137-Lesters-Fork-Rd-Grundy-VA-24614/306617250_zpid/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

and you may find yourself
living in a shotgun shack church

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

Use your imagination to create a unique living space out of this structure,

Even the realtor can't polish that turd

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Even the realtor can't polish that turd

Lol was just about to post that. I love realtors

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i can smell the mothball grandma cigarette wood through the monitor

and the semi trucks driving 20 ft from your window and the gas station that surely is across the street

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

in five years zoomers will be fighting over this in gladiatorial combat

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

lmao it's so god drat cheaply done. I'm so happy for our future of churning the overpriced, debt-saddled commercial real estate into overpriced, poorly-executed residential space.

Is that a manufactured home turned into a non-denominational church? Grundy, a T4 law school town in the heart of Appalachia, , , , , ,

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have family from Mt. Carmel

They dont live there anymore hahaha.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I have family from Mt. Carmel

They dont live there anymore hahaha.

I grew up right down Rt 61 from there. My brother deliberately moved to Mt Carmel for some reason and won't leave

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

when I was a kid, while riding with my friends in a mini-van we would poke fun at each other while passing lovely looking houses:

"there's Kevin's house! haha"

now those houses are out of reach for my adult self.

owned

yeah I remember being really depressed by my grandmas dinky old house in sydney, thinking about how sad and lovely it was. Dark old claustrophobic rooms and a scrubby old sunbleached lawn. It's "worth" like 3.4 million now.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Instead of working from home you can home from work!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

$655 monthly HOA fee

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im going to look at a house on saturday. 920 sqft. wish me luck lol

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The neighbor (landlord type) is selling the house right next to me. It's a complete shithole that got absolutely torn up as it became, essentially a "trap house" where people were randomly coming in throughout the day. Pretty sure I heard gun shots at one point as well. The windows were open at one point and literally each wall I could see was spray painted with the most random of things. I guess the person hired a cleaning lady who randomly looked at me while I was walking into my house, sighed and said "there is so much dog poo poo everywhere in this house."

Gonna lmbo so hard when they can sell that place for more than what I paid 2 years ago for a house that had been kept up exceptionally well.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I just sold a house my ex-wife and I bought in 2020. Bought for 300k, sold for 375k. (I promise I'm not a flipper. The ex began an affair with our neighbor in the rental before we moved into the new house. I lived in the new house for about 6 months thinking we were going to raise our 2 children there, then another 2 years as we worked through the divorce.)

Anyway, turns out there were serious foundation issues and the contractor I hired did gently caress all to actually fix it. Without foundation issues, it could have sold for 450k, and if I could have poured another 20k into it would have been worth 500k. C'est la vie.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

open house begins as soon as the torsos are cleared from the premises

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1 bathroom ???

no thanks.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

RadiRoot posted:

Good luck, RadiRoot. I hope that if you love it, can afford it, and plan to put in an offer, that your offer is approved and the inspection turns out a clean bill of health to proceed.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

sale agreed :shepface:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm not a house expert but maybe this is a better deal than buying a horrid depressing modified office building in San Rafael, CA for a half a mil

Ew, flyover country. I might have to talk to a chud.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

open house begins as soon as the torsos are cleared from the premises

Sometimes I look at Vermont farm houses on Zillow. Some of them look nice and some of them I think "a murder has definitely been committed in that room" "yep that empty bedroom is where they will kill me if I buy this house".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dmitri-9 posted:

Sometimes I look at Vermont farm houses on Zillow. Some of them look nice and some of them I think "a murder has definitely been committed in that room" "yep that empty bedroom is where they will kill me if I buy this house".

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/320-Pond-Brook-Rd-Errol-NH-03579/2067190591_zpid/

this is where the zombies finally get me in 2027

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

RadiRoot posted:

just hope it sucks just the right amount that you want it but nobody else does

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

cool av posted:

That's the dream.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

cool av posted:

that’s how I landed my place this month. turns out not many people wanted a middle of group townhome from 1984 with two beds, no basement, no yard, worn ugly carpets, and a small concrete slab for a back patio. it’s plain and humble but it’s my own little slice of heaven. my realtor and all my co-workers think I’m crazy, but I’m getting a place with very little maintenance that cost me $230k in an area where the average home price is more like $400k. I am redoing the floors though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nice . I’m glad you got the place.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
congrats

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Justus posted:

that’s how I landed my place this month. turns out not many people wanted a middle of group townhome from 1984 with two beds, no basement, no yard, worn ugly carpets, and a small concrete slab for a back patio. it’s plain and humble but it’s my own little slice of heaven. my realtor and all my co-workers think I’m crazy, but I’m getting a place with very little maintenance that cost me $230k in an area where the average home price is more like $400k. I am redoing the floors though.

Nice, how much are you gonna charge for rent?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Woodsy Owl posted:

Nice, how much are you gonna charge for rent?

Are you surveying for that stupid owner equivalent rent stat or something?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Let's see... $230k, divided by 360 monthly mortgage payments, we're at about $639 per month of rent. Wait, that seems way too expensive, I never paid anything near that when I attended the public university system in the late 70's. I'd say it would rent for about $300/mo, that sounds good for a student. I don't know what insurance or property tax is but I don't see how it matters for a starter home.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

palindrome posted:

Let's see... $230k, divided by 360 monthly mortgage payments, we're at about $639 per month of rent. Wait, that seems way too expensive, I never paid anything near that when I attended the public university system in the late 70's. I'd say it would rent for about $300/mo, that sounds good for a student. I don't know what insurance or property tax is but I don't see how it matters for a starter home.

Nah man you forgot interest. Mortgage payment is closer to $1700. Gotta charge $2500 to make it worth the headache.

Loan amount $223,100
Total interest paid $321,311
Total cost of loan $544,411
Payoff date Jul 2053

Principal & interest $1,511
Property tax +151
Homeowner's insurance +66
PMI +0
HOA fees +0
Total monthly payment =$1,728

Add a few hundred for PMI since I put a down payment of 3% into the calculator.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 10:58 on Jul 15, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they was making a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

euphronius posted:

they was making a joke

So is the housing market...