Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MuddyFunster posted:

It's interesting seeing Patrick Stewart looking quite awkward and uncomfortable in a couple of the episodes, delivering some very mechanical line readings at times. I'm assuming he had trouble finding his feet to begin with?

They intended Picard to be quite stern and distant at the start, but they began to soften him up pretty soon in when they realised that worked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw a snatch of some random season 5 episode last night, and Picard was so warm to Bev, it’s easy to forget they did a really good job of humanising him.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

They intended Picard to be quite stern and distant at the start, but they began to soften him up pretty soon in when they realised that worked better.

Riker was also supposed to be a hardass who is never pleased with anyone's performance and "would get a seaman flogged for serving his coffee too cold".

Surprisingly that characterization didn't stick around either after the Great Quaalude of the Galaxy went senile and later kicked it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like many ideas rejected for TNG, it was then used in Voyager

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Riker was also supposed to be a hardass who is never pleased with anyone's performance and "would get a seaman flogged for serving his coffee too cold".

Surprisingly that characterization didn't stick around either after the Great Quaalude of the Galaxy went senile and later kicked it.

It didn’t stick around ten episodes

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

It didn’t stick around ten episodes

Yes, they improvised a bit from the start as their casting was as chaotic as the writing for the first few seasons.

Gene first used veto on having a klingon crew member but then OK'd it so they had to switch things around; they also cut out all of the "civilian life onboard the ship"-storylines that were supposed to be the comic relief away from the serious starfleet official business at the relatively last minute.

Beverly was supposed to be the rector or head mistress of the school onboard USS Enterprise, and her son just another student. Her role was just rewritten as they didn't have doctor at the time yet, nor an idea what sort of doctor to get, and she was already there. Also Tasha Yar was a role that written for a character that wasn't really needed now that they had Worf, and Troi was demoted from intelligence officer to ship councilor so she would do at least something else than security-related stuff.

And they still managed to launch the show without a Chief of Engineering.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Does anyone have that picture from when the TNG cast was announced and there was an article that had a photo of makeup test Geordi with "The new Spock?" written under it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Like many ideas rejected for TNG, it was then used in Voyager

For who? Neither Janeway nor Chakotay is that cold.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

MuddyFunster posted:

I'm doing my first full watch on TNG (only really ever been a strict TOS/first six movies Trekkie) and I'm doing the thing multiple people always told me not to do; starting from season 1. Uh, kind of loving it so far?
Yeah, anyone who is steeped on TOS is going to have no problem getting started with TNG. The first season even has episodes based on Phase 2 scripts/concepts (ie the show that was scrapped in favor of TMP).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

Instead, he became someone who flogs his seaman into anyone's coffee.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

For who? Neither Janeway nor Chakotay is that cold.

Janeway would straight up murder a crewmember who screwed up her coffee

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Janeway would straight up murder a crewmember who screwed up her coffee

She didn't do it to Neelix, we have explicit proof you can get away with it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
As it so happens, I just finished a first-time watch of TNG season 1 - I'd say that while the first half of the season is really rough, the back half of the season does have some decent episodes that show the potential of what the show would eventually become. In particular, I thought the stretch of episodes from "Coming of Age" through "Symbiosis" were a step up from the rest of the season.

Character-wise, I feel like Picard and Riker are the strongest and most fully-formed characters right out of the gate; Data's got some weird personality tics that eventually get smoothed out over the course of the season, and Worf becomes a decent character once he gets his focus episode in "Heart of Glory".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

It got projected onto Tuvix, hence the murder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The one with the Bynars frickin rules you reprobates

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Is that the one where Picard and Riker spend half the episode trying to gently caress the hologram

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

The Bynars were a decent concept, and I liked the ship evacuation scenes, but the overall plot of the episode was awfully thin. And the dialogue between Riker and Minuet was... not terribly convincing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

koolkal posted:

Is that the one where Picard and Riker spend half the episode trying to gently caress the hologram

Minuet....

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arivia posted:

Janeway never killed Neelix because she appreciated his skill at tormenting the rest of her crew

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FuturePastNow posted:

Janeway never killed Neelix because she appreciated his skill at tormenting the rest of her crew

I always read her as finding him genuinely amusing, there were moments where she'd smirk whenever he said or did something goofy (like when he brings snacks to the bridge in a really stressful situation, Janeway seemed genuinely appreciative and seemed to enjoy the snack until she had to go business mode). Also he's something the crew needs - he has no ties on earth, so while the rest of the crew are stressing out about getting home, his only concern is the happiness of the crew so he's reasonably content.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Janeway was like by far the nicest and most nurturing captain out of the main 5

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

The Bynars were a decent concept, and I liked the ship evacuation scenes, but the overall plot of the episode was awfully thin. And the dialogue between Riker and Minuet was... not terribly convincing.

It's too bad the order of episodes got changed around, because I think the reason why Picard gets so excited about the first time he plays Dixon Hill was supposed to be because the Bynars made the Holodeck way better.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

McSpanky posted:

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQidVzdneE

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Pascallion posted:

Yeah, anyone who is steeped on TOS is going to have no problem getting started with TNG. The first season even has episodes based on Phase 2 scripts/concepts (ie the show that was scrapped in favor of TMP).

The feeling I'm getting off it is very similar to how (sorry, brit nerd here) Doctor Who went on hiatus for 16 years and came back sort of where it left off. A lot of earth based stories, council estates, a "street kid" companion, etc. Only now it had a relatively big budget gloss and a lot of pace to it.

TNG meanwhile, feels like it picks up off of TOS season 3's downturn, which suits me fine because a lot of those episodes give me a giggle. It's a short step from the giant "oof, they did not think this one through" of Turnabout Intruder to something like Code of Honor. But like with Doctor Who, it's all a bit glossier looking, a bit faster moving. And the sets! Oh, the lovely, lovely ship sets. I never really appreciated them before, usually seeing them awkwardly re-appropriated for movies V and VI, where they looked a bit cramped and grey. I'd assume the cramped-ness would be down to aspect ratio or something.

McSpanky posted:

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy that one, I should stress! It was very amusing watching Riker getting all hot for hologram lady, since I just assumed that was Geordie or Barclay's sort of thing. The Bynars themselves were absolutely ludicrous.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

:emptyquote:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0lZytCblEE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:c00l:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
so with 11:59 someone mixed up one of those hallmark xmas films with the actual script, right?

the gently caress did I just watch

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Today’s episode for me was Inquisition.

There are a lot of things that are great and also gross about this.

Bashir, I assume, was looked on by the fandom a little more favorably than he was early on during the run of DS9. I didn’t watch this show as it aired, but instead watched parts of it in syndication later.

I understand Bashir wasn’t liked so much, early on? But anyway this one was near the end of the show’s run and the poo poo he goes through in this with holodeck-mindfucking was distressing.

From what I understand, this was the first Trek episode that introduced Section 31, which is a gross idea.

Everything about S31 is disturbing to me. I understand there are a couple of later episodes that pick up what this one laid down, but the idea of S31 going around behind the scenes doing whatever they want to do with no oversight whatsoever is very anti-Roddenberry.

It blows my mind that they are, or were, planning a movie about S31 starring Michelle Yeoh.

I don’t know where that’s at with the writers and now actors guild going on strike, but I’d have to imagine it would have been played as an S31 member becoming disillusioned with what they were doing and fighting from within to change it.

I can’t think of another way to make it play, because S31 to me sounds a lot like the Phoenix Project the US ran in Vietnam, which consisted of people running around and interrogating and killing people who were thought to be VC and VC sympathizers. Often the intelligence given to members of this organization came from Vietnamese who wanted to settle grudges, and used them to eliminate enemies/opposition.

Anyway, Starfleet and life in the 24th century is portrayed as kind of like a paradise, in ways.

The first mention of S31 implies a dark underbelly (or do these people even work for Starfleet at all?!?) that had never been hinted at before.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I don't really mind Section 31 as presented in DS9, and if you keep watching you'll see why. It's the later series portrayals that are just bad, with the possible exception of Enterprise maybe.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I don't really mind Section 31 as presented in DS9, and if you keep watching you'll see why.

Alright. I will keep going and see how it’s portrayed going forward in DS9.

I haven’t watched any of the later series, except for SNW, which I love.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 14, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

so with 11:59 someone mixed up one of those hallmark xmas films with the actual script, right?

the gently caress did I just watch

a Very Good Episode.

also darkling being Doctor & Mister Hyde is funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8r8kcwLOnE

And the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHK3zEc1PHs

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 14, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I don't really mind Section 31 as presented in DS9, and if you keep watching you'll see why. It's the later series portrayals that are just bad, with the possible exception of Enterprise maybe.

The idea that the Federation realized that when you're out in the jungle, sometimes you got to fight dirty makes sense. I mean, we all celebrate Sisko doing his secret cool guy living with it mission. Kinda makes sense that you'd have a team doing that sort of job on the regular.

But the whole "they're all over the place X-Files nonsense?" Naw.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

a Very Good Episode.

FOR ME TO POOP ON

I'm of two minds about Section 31. On the one hand, the enemies-of-decency-and-transparency take is a good one and in a vacuum it's okay to have an internal force of semi-institutional corruption to fight against, to prove that the "evolved sensibilities" can stand up to scrutiny and pressure and come out on top.

On the other, it planted a seed in the minds of writers that bore bitter fruit in our blighted post-9/11 world -- that there must be a force of HARD MEN making HARD CHOICES to protect ARE FREEDUMS, answerable to no one and beholden to no ethical or moral restraints, even in the optimistic utopian future, and gently caress that poo poo forever. Can we have just one future setting that doesn't involve this goddamned cynical nihilistic actually-better-things-aren't-possible poisonous bullshit, just ONE?!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I see Section 31 as a stand-in for all the shady stuff the US government has ever done. You learn about this stuff and you have to decide whether you're going to throw up your hands and say "oh well, I guess that's just how things get done and we can't argue with the results" or you can say "no matter what it achieved, it's still wrong and we aren't going to do it anymore".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pascallion posted:

No, it doesn't. TNG used precisely two Phase II scripts: The Child (season 2), and Devil's Due (season 4).

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Timby posted:

No, it doesn't. TNG used precisely two Phase II scripts: The Child (season 2), and Devil's Due (season 4).
Wonder how many other weird Trek lies are rattling around in my head.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is some P2 DNA still in TNG, most obviously Riker and Troi being pretty transparently Decker and Ilia. (Speaking of the latter, yet another of Gene's attempts to have 'sex powers' be a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

With all the convention and director credit money you'd think he'd be able to get his back just a tiny bit less hosed up. He's not capable of standing up!