Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Just hit 2200 rating on my puzzles! I'm back below 2000 again, but I got there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sataere posted:

Nice! Now its time to go on a losing streak back down to 1800 and bitterly think about how so many of the 2100 puzzles are easier than the 1800 puzzles. Well, anyway that was my experience.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Salt Fish posted:

Nice! Now its time to go on a losing streak back down to 1800 and bitterly think about how so many of the 2100 puzzles are easier than the 1800 puzzles. Well, anyway that was my experience.

I always find it hilarious how the extra hard puzzles so often are just one move to mate.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not a particularly remarkable game, but it does feel good to finally pull this off in an actual game. and off a queen sac no less!

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Sataere posted:

Same - i hit 2250 on chess.com. I was at 1900 on Lichess but now i'm down to 1600 lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I've been going through some "life" stuff the past couple of days. Chess puzzles are the only thing I can really concentrate on right now.

e: I only play against other people when I'm drinking can you tell lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Was happy for the computer to validate what I played here as the best line, though black is winning anyway

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My dotcom puzzle rating seems to go up when my Lichess rating goes down. They were both around 1700 a few weeks ago, now dotcom is 1900 and Lichess is 1500. I tend to play games on dotcom when I'm up and alert at the computer and play on Lichess on my phone when I should already be asleep, I guess that habit has bled over into puzzles.

Speaking of, I bought a couple of physical books this week (Yusupov 1 and "Winning Chess", the Chernev puzzle book, because I really enjoy his writing in Logical Chess), and both recommend doing the books over a physical board. So I'm poking around looking for a smaller magnetic board I can move around easily. When you start looking for stuff like this, it's amusing to find that every website from the pricey places to Amazon sell the exact same magnetic folding boards, just in different boxes. Makes you wonder about the pricey places' pricey boards.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 12, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Hand Knit posted:

Was happy for the computer to validate what I played here as the best line, though black is winning anyway

I get as far as 1. …Ne4 2. Be1 Bf4+ before I lose the plan. My goal is to break the pin on the pawn and play bxa3 and then bring my Rooks onto the open file. But once I realized that Be1 isn’t forced, the plan goes to poo poo.

I did see one line that proceeds with 3. Kd1 bxa3! 4. Bxa5?? a2

Aggro fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

half mill phil

e: entirely wrong thread lol

lmfao

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aggro posted:

I get as far as 1. …Ne4 2. Be1 Bf4+ before I lose the plan. My goal is to break the pin on the pawn and play bxa3 and then bring my Rooks onto the open file. But once I realized that Be1 isn’t forced, the plan goes to poo poo.

I did see one line that proceeds with 3. Kd1 bxa3! 4. Bxa5?? a2

You're thinking in the right area. Reflect on what you've found.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Hand Knit posted:

bxa3 2. BxQa5 a2 was what I saw right away. It looks good to me, haven't fully calculated yet though.

Takes a lot of confidence to play that in a game though rather than a puzzle. Not sure I would have.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Tense staring contest at the women's championship:
https://imgur.com/pc7WUG5

e: Also who wants to challenge a chess record?

"wikipedia posted:

The absolute worst result in a simultaneous exhibition was two wins and 18 losses (10%) by Joe Hayden, aged 17, in August 1977. Hayden wanted to set an American record by playing 180 people simultaneously at a shopping center in Cardiff, New Jersey, but only 20 showed up to play. Hayden lost 18 of the games (including one to a seven-year-old). His two wins were scored against his mother and a player who tired of waiting and left in mid-game, thus forfeiting the game.[132]

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 13, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Chess24.com has been broken for days. Or rather, it is for me. Am I missing something?

e: for clarity, the site loads but there are no events on the front page

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah the app's been down for me too. I could find a way around to see the women's title match games but the main ways are busted.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I watched a performance of Chess the musical at the theater this week. It's not really about chess at all, but rather about how the Soviet grandmaster deals with the immense personal and political pressures brought on by the cold war. Anyway afterward it inspired me to load up chess.com and I went 3-1 in the first couple matches I played. :cool:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I adore that musical, I played in the pit. The music is just perfectly cheesy and ridiculous.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The group behind my partner and I spent all intermission taking shots at how many ballads there were which we found obnoxious, but otherwise we loved the show. I really enjoyed their rendition of One Night in Bangkok.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My favorite song in it is Nobody's Side.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Milestone!

My goal was to reach 2k by the end of the summer, and I actually just kind of blazed through it.

But also, I was one short of it taking me 911 puzzles to reach 2001.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Huxley posted:

Milestone!

My goal was to reach 2k by the end of the summer, and I actually just kind of blazed through it.

But also, I was one short of it taking me 911 puzzles to reach 2001.

How does your number always go up, never down?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

bxa3 2. BxQa5 a2 was what I saw right away. It looks good to me, haven't fully calculated yet though.

Takes a lot of confidence to play that in a game though rather than a puzzle. Not sure I would have.

Yeah, that's it. I realized it's a bit more sophisticated than I initially thought since instead of being entirely concrete you have to make the verdict of "between the b- and c-files now being open and black having the option of Bf4+ to close the d2 square, white's completely hosed."

Game here.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The best song in Chess the musical is the part where the chorus just sings the names of all the world champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cpwpMppDPc&t=127s

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

How does your number always go up, never down?

It only pegs your rating once per day. I started last night after my wife fell asleep at 1905, tanked 100 points within 15 minutes, then spent the next 2 hours and 125 puzzles clawing back to 1920. Line graph says +15! A true graph would show a man who really should have just gone to bed.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
a position from one of my blitz games -- white to play and win (i was in time pressure and i didnt find it)

hints:
the white queen and rook are forked
the white queen has to move
the black knight and queen are undefended
the black knight and queen are lined up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Helianthus Annuus posted:

a position from one of my blitz games -- white to play and win (i was in time pressure and i didnt find it)

hints:

Lol. Judo throw. Using his momentum against him.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Women's chess championship is now after the half way point.

And chess.com added Judit Polgar to the twitch commentary team, so now there is a stream worth watching.
Also now that Ju is behind, she started playing more unusual openings. Caro-kan yesterday, leading into a tense endgame. Zuckertort right now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oh no, I've left my knight hanging! Surely my opponent will capture it now.

I'll never be a Grandmaster, but I love it when I bamboozle my opponent into making a mistake. My rapid rating is now at an all-time high of 1229.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know a good chess-puzzle app that works offline? Looking for one for android and one for windows.
I used to use Magnus Trainer on android, but it is increasingly limiting its free and offline offerings.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you might be better off buying an ebook of lazlo polgar's chess book

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lichess app stores 50 puzzles for offline mode, but has no other real features. Nice for an airplane trip though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know a good chess-puzzle app that works offline? Looking for one for android and one for windows.
I used to use Magnus Trainer on android, but it is increasingly limiting its free and offline offerings.

Chess Tactics Pro on Android

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

VictualSquid posted:

ChessKing apps have uhh...CT-ART. Seconding the Polgar book reco.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing the free chesscom puzzles on and off and have a good rating in them (hoping to cross 3000 one day) but I feel it hasn't really improved my pattern recognition. If you ask me for what I remember I can only say there are back rank mates and everything else is raw calculation. Maybe some sort of thematic practice or an actual book would help more.

I do want to credit the current women's championship for helping me find the best move in a game yesterday, since a similar idea was played in Game 3.

On move 13 in WWCC Game 3, black temporarily sacrificed a knight to create a pin. Here the move I found was Nb5 with a threat to fork the queen and rook, while pressuring the d6 pawn. If black moves the queen to protect d6 then Nxd6 anyway, followed by Qc3 with a pin on the e5 knight with f4 coming. The game continued: Nb5 Qb8 Nxd6 Qxd6 Qc3 Re8 f4 Kf6 fxe5 Rxe5. Material count remains the same but white now has another passed pawn and black's pieces are really struggling to move.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Promethium posted:

I do want to credit the current women's championship for helping me find the best move in a game yesterday, since a similar idea was played in Game 3.

Nice. I got stuck on the second-best move f4 to kick the knight, then bring up the e rook to e7.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hints:

Qd3?

The knight is also forking the pawn so Qd3 to protect the both the rook and pawn. Black Queen can also take that pawn. Only thing else I see is f4 for the trade.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Qd3?

The knight is also forking the pawn so Qd3 to protect the both the rook and pawn. Black Queen can also take that pawn. Only thing else I see is f4 for the trade.

it's not Qd3 because it doesn't stop black from winning the exchange. also, the queen doesn't want to be on the d file, because black's rook on d8 is also ready to push it around after dxc5. and it's not f4 because after the queens come off the board, the black knight is taking the rook on e1.

one reason the winning move is hard to see is because it's a retreating move.

the winning move is Qc1, which gets the queen out of danger and saves the rook by pinning the black knight to the queen. and in a few moves, white is gonna win that knight for free because it cant be defended

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Promethium posted:

I've been playing the free chesscom puzzles on and off and have a good rating in them (hoping to cross 3000 one day) but I feel it hasn't really improved my pattern recognition. If you ask me for what I remember I can only say there are back rank mates and everything else is raw calculation. Maybe some sort of thematic practice or an actual book would help more.

i wanna sac the exchange and push the d pawn, which isn't a great plan to begin with, but i didn't notice that the pawn is pinned.

incidentally, needlessly sacrificing the exchange is how i lost that position from my blitz game i posted the other day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finally sinking in that swapping from d4 to e4 because the Scotch looks like fun actually means I have to spend just as much time learning a Sicilian. Not happy about it.

e; I want to get better and watch number go up as much as anyone, but as I start building an actual opening rep, I can definitely see the appeal of never getting so good you need to learn more then 5 moves deep in prep.

I need to learn a Sicilian now, so I think "I know the Alapin is good enough and supposedly theory-light, but all I know is e4 c5 c3 and try to play d4, I should watch a video on it."

Then it turns out that at my level the only two good responses to c3 get played <5% and the move the video dismisses as "instantly losing" is the response I've already managed to lose to twice. And you think, well I guess e4 c5 c3 is actually all I need to know for now, and may already be more than I can handle.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Huxley posted:

Finally sinking in that swapping from d4 to e4 because the Scotch looks like fun actually means I have to spend just as much time learning a Sicilian. Not happy about it.

e; I want to get better and watch number go up as much as anyone, but as I start building an actual opening rep, I can definitely see the appeal of never getting so good you need to learn more then 5 moves deep in prep.

I need to learn a Sicilian now, so I think "I know the Alapin is good enough and supposedly theory-light, but all I know is e4 c5 c3 and try to play d4, I should watch a video on it."

Then it turns out that at my level the only two good responses to c3 get played <5% and the move the video dismisses as "instantly losing" is the response I've already managed to lose to twice. And you think, well I guess e4 c5 c3 is actually all I need to know for now, and may already be more than I can handle.

How about playing Sicilian yourself against 1.e4 ? That is a quick way to see which variants I find most annoying.
I do play Nf6 against the alapin and the smith morra, to reduce the amount of theory I need to learn.