Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's the Space Elevator. It mines ore, pumps fluid, and does microgravity assembling, depending on the modules you employ.

For example, the mining module sends out drones to mine asteroids somewhere in the solar system, then brings back goodies.

Do you actually see an animation of this happening like Create mod? Or is it "magic"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Do you actually see an animation of this happening like Create mod? Or is it "magic"?

Not really. The cable for the SE goes up into the skybox, and the actual elevator part goes up and down, but it's just an animation and not keyed to the progress of the modules. The asteroids aren't physically present.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's pretty cool

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

I would definitely recommend Nomifactory. It's a little more focused and modern than GTNH, and NomiCEU is intentionally harder and more contrived in some places. Nomifactory feels user friendly (by comparison) while still having a sea of content to dive into and it will take a long time to get through, with new machines and systems constantly being unlocked. Good way to lose a lot of time.

Funny, the NomiCEU description page paints it as the opposite.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black Pants posted:

Funny, the NomiCEU description page paints it as the opposite.
I'm just going off what people have said about it in this thread, especially that it makes certain resources considerably harder to get sustainable loops for.

e: Actually it's stuff like:

Lordshmee posted:

I definitely meant that the CEu version is more grindy than regular Nomifactory. I’m still figuring out whether I’m going to keep at it or not. It’s GT Lite, but not as lite as the vanilla Nomifactory implementation. Most of the “oh thank god” conveniences are not present. Like, I need oxygen now, and at this point the only way I can really start is to wait 80 seconds to centrifuge air for 1 bucket. It uh… really sucks actually, lol.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Create Astral is neat because someone actually took the time to make custom music for that modpack, and I really appreciate that :3:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I'm just going off what people have said about it in this thread, especially that it makes certain resources considerably harder to get sustainable loops for.

e: Actually it's stuff like:

Electrolyzing silicon dioxide, which you can get from sand right at LV, is a way better way to get oxygen and scales well too

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SiO2 definitely the way to get consistent oxygen, yeah, with a sideline in ore electrolysis to top up.

oxygen is only a vaguely useful byproduct from air compression/centrifuging. the point of that imo is to get nitrogen for your pyro ovens in Gregtech, and i'm uncertain whether Nomifactory has the same need for pyrolysis if your early game power is nuministic dynamos

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

SiO2 definitely the way to get consistent oxygen, yeah, with a sideline in ore electrolysis to top up.

oxygen is only a vaguely useful byproduct from air compression/centrifuging. the point of that imo is to get nitrogen for your pyro ovens in Gregtech, and i'm uncertain whether Nomifactory has the same need for pyrolysis if your early game power is nuministic dynamos
I don't remember needing Nitrogen for pyro ovens in Nomi, so that sounds like a change for CEU edition.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is the trans dimensional receiver as good as an ender chest? I got a pair and was thinking of using it for my off world mining chest for when I setup a multi block miner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Is the trans dimensional receiver as good as an ender chest? I got a pair and was thinking of using it for my off world mining chest for when I setup a multi block miner.

It's finicky. Ender chests and tanks are more bulletproof, but the TDRs are easier to craft.

* TDRs require RF power to operate on one end.
* GT pipes don't play well with them. TDRs, if they run out of power or don't sync properly, will disable their status as an inventory or fluid tank until those issue(s) are resolved. When this happens, the GT pipe code goes, "hey, this isn't a valid inventory or fluid tank. I'm going to disconnect myself from it."
* Config can be confusing, because you need to define specific directions and frequencies for items or fluid to travel and have to deal with whitelist/blacklist shenanigans.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i found TDRs to be a nice stopgap for before you have enough ender tanks, with the caveats GP mentioned. i recommend only connecting ender fluid conduits to them for fluids, and use a capacitor bank to buffer RF from EU, rather than hooking the TDR up to GT cables directly. I *think* using a bank prevents the full GT amp request issues that normally crop up when trying to power ender stuff with EU.

what i found nice about them was that i could hook one up to CBD on one face and drilling fluid on another, instead of needing two separate blocks to pull fluids from on the drill side. If you don't mind the power requirements, i bet they could be pretty nifty for fluid distribution in a sprawling base (i just use ender fluid conduits all on the same color distributed on a bunch of fluid p2ps all on the same channel)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I actually got 2 ender tanks out of a bag today along with those TDR's and I'm still a bit off of being able to make chests/bags which is why I was looking at this.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Create Astral is neat because someone actually took the time to make custom music for that modpack, and I really appreciate that :3:

I really enjoyed create astral, got through most of the mars stuff a few months ago but stopped because suddenly all the quests had no more text or tips about how things worked and I've never used most of these mods before and got a bit stuck.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Wrapping up a Blightfall server me and a friend are playing and looking for something new.

I was looking at either enigmatica 2 expert or enigmatica 2 expert skyblock since I've heard really good things about them but Create Astral and GT New Horizons both look interesting as well.
Is Enigmatica 2 Expert as good as I've heard any worth playing next or would people here recommend one of the others?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my interest in new horizons has dropped off now that threefold isn't playing it anymore :(

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: Hello everyone, there is new Minecraft drama afoot. :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/14xybvk/neo_forged/

Essentially: Forge is dead, long live NeoForged. LexManos is no longer a dead weight preventing good things from being developed, or a crusty old nerd telling people they are idiots when someone asks for mod development help. Every Forge dev has moved from Forge to NeoForge except for LexManos. Nothing will change on the user/mod dev's side in 1.20, but 1.21 will start seeing changes.

Kin33 posted:

Wrapping up a Blightfall server me and a friend are playing and looking for something new.

I was looking at either enigmatica 2 expert or enigmatica 2 expert skyblock since I've heard really good things about them but Create Astral and GT New Horizons both look interesting as well.
Is Enigmatica 2 Expert as good as I've heard any worth playing next or would people here recommend one of the others?

Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock is excellent and very well made, though depending on your preferences it might put you/your friends off due to the fact that there isn't exactly a linear progression presented in the quests; you need to perform certain tasks to unlock each chapter, but the chapters are more of a 'guide a newbie to figuring out how to use the mod, so they can figure out how to progress' rather than directly pointing you where to go.

Sky Resources 2, which E2ES uses for producing resources, might also be confusing as hell at first but I far, far prefer it to Ex Nihilo. Look up how to make a mob drop tower, that will make it a lot easier.

GregTech New Horizons is... entirely different from any of your other possible choices. Look through the thread at what people have said about it before picking it up. Might be exactly your thing though, I won't discourage you from playing it, but it's a beast.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 13, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Black Pants posted:

:siren: Hello everyone, there is new Minecraft drama afoot. :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/14xybvk/neo_forged/

Essentially: Forge is dead, long live NeoForged. LexManos is no longer a dead weight preventing good things from being developed, or a crusty old nerd telling people they are idiots when someone asks for mod development help. Every Forge dev has moved from Forge to NeoForge except for LexManos. Nothing will change on the user/mod dev's side in 1.20, but 1.21 will start seeing changes

Good riddance to him and hopefully Forgecraft with him

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How do I auto craft different wafers with the different lenses with my Laser engraver that is sitting in a PA?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

How do I auto craft different wafers with the different lenses with my Laser engraver that is sitting in a PA?

Enable input bus separation on the PA. Then, add a bunch of different input buses and put a lens in each. Give each input bus an ME interface and put relevant patterns inside it. Use an AE2 quartz knife to rename the ME Interface with an appropriate name (e.g. "PLE (Red Lens)") so it's easy to tell apart on your Interface Terminal.

You might need more than one PA to fit all the lenses, I forget how many option blocks you get on those.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Enable input bus separation on the PA. Then, add a bunch of different input buses and put a lens in each. Give each input bus an ME interface and put relevant patterns inside it. Use an AE2 quartz knife to rename the ME Interface with an appropriate name (e.g. "PLE (Red Lens)") so it's easy to tell apart on your Interface Terminal.

You might need more than one PA to fit all the lenses, I forget how many option blocks you get on those.

Based on what you said I think at my current stage for the laser engraver I'll just do it manually? Is that the same for circuits as well on a circuit assembler in a PA?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tried out DawnCraft since it was high in the popularity list and i rarely see a pack get up there without something to recommend it

it's a pack focused around getting quests from villagers with no way to see what quests you have and nearly all its mod commands were piled onto the = key by default

i have deleted DawnCraft

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Based on what you said I think at my current stage for the laser engraver I'll just do it manually? Is that the same for circuits as well on a circuit assembler in a PA?

Circuits in a circuit assembler PA, you can just dump into the same input bus. There are a few config circuit variants for the circuit assembler (mostly used for things like computercraft parts,) and you can do them the same way as the lenses -- configure each input bus with a specific control circuit.

Ends up looking something like this. This is two GT++ extruders, but the same concept applies (not-consumed configuration item for recipes.)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kin33 posted:

It's always sad to see someone finishing Blightfall. It's all downhill from here, unfortunately.

I haven't played E2:E but if you're looking for something both quick and different, I can recommend Ultimate Alchemy. Your frame story is that you're trapped in a pocket void dimension for your alchemy finals and all you have to do is produce clay. The really unique bit is you have no hunger, creative flight, and the ability to craft barrels of infinite logs, cobble, and smoothstone. From those you can get whatever resources you want or need. Be warned: Just about every recipe has been changed in one way or another so you're going to be spending a lot of time in JEI looking up recipies, but that's part of the fun.
There's no official server for UA, but it's not that hard to delete the client-side mods and throw a Forge server jar in to make it run nice.

StealthArcher posted:

Good riddance to him and hopefully Forgecraft with him

Hopefully most of the Forgecraft people set up a new server, I still use Direwolf20 videos to help when I can't sleep and his multiplayer videos are the most fun.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Circuits in a circuit assembler PA, you can just dump into the same input bus. There are a few config circuit variants for the circuit assembler (mostly used for things like computercraft parts,) and you can do them the same way as the lenses -- configure each input bus with a specific control circuit.

Ends up looking something like this. This is two GT++ extruders, but the same concept applies (not-consumed configuration item for recipes.)

Are those p2p me's on the input busses or what is the significance/reason of the different color cable?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

tried out DawnCraft since it was high in the popularity list and i rarely see a pack get up there without something to recommend it

it's a pack focused around getting quests from villagers with no way to see what quests you have and nearly all its mod commands were piled onto the = key by default

i have deleted DawnCraft
I saw a video on it and it was largely "wait what were my quests?" and the player inventory overflowing with random junk every time a chest got opened. Just no way to manage the tens of thousands of new items the kitchen sink pack throws in and no way of knowing which ones are actually worth keeping and which are just there to craft some weapon you'll outrank on day one because that random goblin just dropped an enchanted +4 Netherite Sword.

Like a massive kitchen sink RPG with no actual design philosophy or coordination of any kind.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Holyshoot posted:

Are those p2p me's on the input busses or what is the significance/reason of the different color cable?

Different cable colors force them not to connect, and each of those cables has too many devices to fit on one 8 channel cable if all of them were connected together. You can do the same thing with cable anchors between them.

The devices are all interfaces connected to their own input bus that can have a unique circuit number or mold/extruder shape. That's 18 interfaces total, too many to fit on one regular cable, but enough to fit on one dense cable/controller face's worth of channels. So you get the 4 cables to separate them in a tidy way.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

Different cable colors force them not to connect, and each of those cables has too many devices to fit on one 8 channel cable if all of them were connected together. You can do the same thing with cable anchors between them.

The devices are all interfaces connected to their own input bus that can have a unique circuit number or mold/extruder shape. That's 18 interfaces total, too many to fit on one regular cable, but enough to fit on one dense cable/controller face's worth of channels. So you get the 4 cables to separate them in a tidy way.

Got ya and it looks like the dense cable is connected to a P2P which is supplying up to 32 channels for that dense cable to be utilized all condensed into one channel that goes back to the p2p attached to the controller.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

bbcisdabomb posted:

I haven't played E2:E but if you're looking for something both quick and different, I can recommend Ultimate Alchemy. Your frame story is that you're trapped in a pocket void dimension for your alchemy finals and all you have to do is produce clay. The really unique bit is you have no hunger, creative flight, and the ability to craft barrels of infinite logs, cobble, and smoothstone. From those you can get whatever resources you want or need. Be warned: Just about every recipe has been changed in one way or another so you're going to be spending a lot of time in JEI looking up recipies, but that's part of the fun.
There's no official server for UA, but it's not that hard to delete the client-side mods and throw a Forge server jar in to make it run nice.

Sounds interesting. Might play this to bridge between big packs.

I notice its version 0.1 and hasn't been updated in 5 years. Is it playable from start to finish?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hopefully most of the Forgecraft people set up a new server, I still use Direwolf20 videos to help when I can't sleep and his multiplayer videos are the most fun.

I stopped watching direwolf when he started playing with mods that required netherstar blocks for everything.

Also, More Minecraft modding drama? and something good came of it? Amazing. Although I don't know how long minecraft has left considering the direction and intensity of development.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone could say. Morrowind has had a solid modding scene up until the current day, and is only experiencing a resurgence.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I forgot about doing GTNH progress posts, so I guess I'll do another one. They were getting kinda spammy anyways so a slower pace is probably better.

I'm in HV now. Here's some major accomplishments in the interval between beginning MV and me in mid/late HV now.

My oil spout ran dry, so I set up a multiblock pump on the best oil spout within a "modest" range from my base.

Very modest. Getting the oil back home is the work of Long Distance Fluid Pipelines, which can teleport fluid across arbitrarily long distances without loading the chunks in between. I built two parallel LDFPs, one to get oil home and one to send refined fuel out.

With more oil coming in, I automated diesel fuel. The design follows this gtnh-flow flowchart: https://i.imgur.com/VSBKMNu.png. Using oilsands ore for the heavy fuel is quite a bit more efficient than distilling it from the same regular oil, at the cost of being less automated. That being said, one oilsands ore vein was three times more than I needed for the entire lifetime of the diesel build, so I was okay with that. In addition, I automated polyethylene production. As of 2.3.0, refinery gas was changed to become the clear winner for ethylene production, so if you're using single block distilleries consider that.

The build ended up being very Windows Pipe Screensaver-y, but it worked great. After that, I got some Si(sg) plates, I was able to move to HV.

blah blah blah cleanroom

blah blah blah don't talk to me or my son ever again

blah blah blah The Magnetite

There's a lot to do in HV. Well, The End isn't required, but I was almost out of ender pearls.

The latest completed project in HV was a cetane-boosted diesel refinery, to replace the old diesel refinery.

I went with (mostly) Ender Fluid Conduits this time, so it looks a lot cleaner. Went hard on the water electrolysis for this. Technically I only need 13 of these electrolyzers, but H + O are good to have so I made a bunch more. gnth-flow diagram used for this build: https://i.imgur.com/FOG8YEJ.png. Notable about this build is that I crammed desulfurization of all four primary oil fractions plus diesel mixing into one LCR. Doing this requires some redstone circuitry shenanigans to keep it from mixing diesel forever when it's not needed, so it's not very practical. It was fun to build, though, and that counts for a lot. Cetane-boosted diesel is not only a great thing for my base to use for power, but it also doubles as the T1/T2 rocket fuel.

Technically speaking, the only thing left I HAVE to do to finish HV right now is make the T1 rocket, but I'm taking a hard left turn into some basic Thaumcraft. Why? The Skullfire Sword is really good at making wither skeleton skulls. You can attack regular, overworld skeletons and get three wither skeleton skulls per kill, guaranteed. Is this materially better than a TiCon cleaver with beheading upgrades? No. However, I see it like this. What else does making each option get you?

* Cleaver: A crappy, slow weapon that you'll essentially never use because 1.7.10 TiCon crossbows are far superior.
* Skullfire Sword: An infusion matrix, a thaumotorium, a basic wand. Lets you make redcrystal, the thaumic restorer, nano boots of the traveler, and allows you to produce Shadowmetal Ore, which is a ludicrously good tool material. I'll be making a Prospector's Scanner out of this pretty soon and it should last me to LuV.

I think the Thaumcraft route is a better long-term solution, so I went with it. Guess this will be what I look at for a while.

Better than running around draining nodes for vis, anyways.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 14, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

* Cleaver: A crappy, slow weapon that you'll essentially never use because 1.7.10 TiCon crossbows are far superior.

Have you considered the 'secret' cleaver you get from finding the Lamp of Cinders? lv1, 20 open mod slots and no pre-applied modifiers lets you make a monster weapon very quickly if you have the quartz. Good for murdering the wither at least during its immune to ranged phase.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rynoto posted:

Have you considered the 'secret' cleaver you get from finding the Lamp of Cinders? lv1, 20 open mod slots and no pre-applied modifiers lets you make a monster weapon very quickly if you have the quartz. Good for murdering the wither at least during its immune to ranged phase.

I hadn't, actually. That is probably the least work of all the options, really. Making a cleaver yourself requires you to level it up. With that one, you can slap 7 reinforcements on it no problem, then a bunch of beheading. Still, I think I will do the Thaumcraft route just for the side benefits. Good for if you absolutely cannot stomach Thaumcraft, though, good catch.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kin33 posted:

Sounds interesting. Might play this to bridge between big packs.

I notice its version 0.1 and hasn't been updated in 5 years. Is it playable from start to finish?
The pack is complete and the version number doesn't mean anything, it was released basically fully formed with only one or two patches.
If you do start, keep in mind that there's a recipe to make a Thaumcraft tome of knowledge to give you all the research you'll need for the pack. Don't be like me and try to do the research normally, Thaumcraft research sucks.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

I still haven't progressed past primal shrooms for wand recharging. Once you get a solid wand and vis discounts, the pressure to do better mostly disappears, especially for the short term gains I was mostly in Thaum for.

I did finally set up a Rainbow Cactus farm for dyes. Might do Lazullia soon.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

I still haven't progressed past primal shrooms for wand recharging. Once you get a solid wand and vis discounts, the pressure to do better mostly disappears, especially for the short term gains I was mostly in Thaum for.

Yeah, this will likely be my approach as well. Primal shrooms until T7 rocket, at which point the questbook will give you a reward for beating all the galacticraft dungeon bosses. One of the rewards you can choose is a 1000 Instrumentum node, which transduces down into a roughly 31 centivis node. The maximum charge rate for an arcane crafting table charge thingie is something like 5 cvis, so it's way overkill for just charging your wand.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, this will likely be my approach as well. Primal shrooms until T7 rocket, at which point the questbook will give you a reward for beating all the galacticraft dungeon bosses. One of the rewards you can choose is a 1000 Instrumentum node, which transduces down into a roughly 31 centivis node. The maximum charge rate for an arcane crafting table charge thingie is something like 5 cvis, so it's way overkill for just charging your wand.

Yeah you can just find 5cvis all-aspect nodes in the wild pretty easily. The 31 cvis node is for the advanced thaumcraft machines that can require lots of vis.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

blah blah blah don't talk to me or my son ever again

Is that a larger EBF? What does elthe extra layer of coils do?

E: wait I'm dumb, they normally have 2 layers, ignore me

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Umbreon posted:

Is that a larger EBF? What does the extra layer of coils do?

It's two EBFs. I'm wallsharing them so I can A) make fewer coils, and more importantly 2] share the input and output hatch/buses between them. The little boy is a multismelter.