Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is the Kremlin worth getting ITYOOL 2023? I had the Sovetsky Soyuz half-grinded for a long time, and got the rest of it done in Asymmetric Battles with the +200% XP buff they gave it for a limited time for some reason, and I'm not sure if I should buy the Kremlin or not.

I understand it loses AA mounts if you look at it funny and is therefore extremely vulnerable to CVs, and also to HE spam, both of which are extremely frequent these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This game has some pretty wild bugs. People have already talked about ghost shells for a while, and they are definitely a thing. You'll sink an enemy ship, and then their secondaries, AA or even main battery will still be able to fire for a while afterwards. And it's not a question of the shells just having a long travel time: in Asymmetric Battles I yolo rushed an Amagi, torped it from ~4km out, it blew up and sank, and then a good half second afterwards some shells just appeared and blapped me.

Similarly, in Asymmetric Battles, I was torped by a Hawke twice from the same side. The Hawke notably has one launcher on each side. And again, this was not a case of the Hawke torping, turning and torping again. It was that one map where the caps are kinda enclosed from the sides. I was going head to head with the Hawke in my Sovetsky Soyuz. He torped as I was about two kilometers off his starboard bow, then torped again from the same side ~10 seconds later.

There's also been numerous cases where a Nebraska's planes dropped full loads on me despite there only being one plane actually making the attack run because the others were shot down before they even started diving.

And unsurprisingly the CV-dropped minefields look like absolute rear end to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNy17oaFvvo

In earlier videos we saw ship-mounted ASW deleting dozens of mines per depth charge run, and blowing up 100 mines from a minefield destroys the entire mine field so it didn't seem TOO BAD. Well with plane-based ASW you're only removing single digit mines per drop so you're turbo hosed.

Also due to the way the game engine handles rendering (ie. "poorly") the mines aren't actually physical objects in the game world. The engine couldn't handle ~350 new objects per mine field, so instead when a ship sails into the radius, the game starts rendering mines ONLY for that ship. And if multiple ships are in the radius, they all see their own local versions of the mine field, and mine placements aren't the same for them etc. So your allies can't actually use their air strikes to clear lanes for you, their hydro won't show the mines etc.

Just an amazing addition to the game.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 11, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jäger trip report:

With adrenaline rush and Jerzy Swirski's unique skill, I was down to a ~35 second reload on 12 torpedoes that go 97 knots by the end of the game.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Oh yeah I forgot about that commander. Couldn’t use it during testing. That would be pretty funny.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 11, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's astonishing how bad Asymmetric Battles have gotten. 4/5 friendly ships dead within two minutes, leaving me 8-on-1 with the rest of the bots. Somehow I survived. I guess the Bourgogne is pretty tanky when you can sit nose in and protect your flank with an island.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Lol it took 440k damage to get 1.3m credits now.

Honestly I feel like more than ever it's a complete coinflip in randoms unless you crush everything (or not even then considering I had a six kill loss).

Anyone else been getting that feeling? Or maybe it's that I was playing British subs and Pan American cruisers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Lol it took 440k damage to get 1.3m credits now.

Honestly I feel like more than ever it's a complete coinflip in randoms unless you crush everything (or not even then considering I had a six kill loss).

Anyone else been getting that feeling? Or maybe it's that I was playing British subs and Pan American cruisers.

Asym mode has reduced credit gains for battleships.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

CitizenKain posted:

Oh I know. I just didn't realize how much.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The last few days have seen the absolute worst mouth breathers in Brawls and Asym.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

It's just such loving classic WG bullshit.

- Make a game mode where you need to play a battleship to have a decent time
- People only play battleships in new mode
- Nerf new mode gains to the ground for battleships

The difference in experience between a BB and even something like a Napoli is just immense, and good loving luck trying to play a Hindenburg or -- god forbid -- a light cruiser. You'll just get crossfired to poo poo the second you get spotted as literally every boat on the bot team ignores the BBs 2km out from them to snipe you to death.

Even destroyers are frustrating, because bots 100% dodge torpedoes they shouldn't be able to detect, they have incredible aim and will focus you down the second you get spotted. So unless you're something like a Kitakaze that can sit in smoke and set fires, you will never get a god drat thing done.

And of course the experience sucks for everyone else too, because even if you ARE in a battleship or a Napoli or something, you'll literally have to kill 90% of the enemy team yourself to win after the Kleber, Minotaur and Worcester all died in 30 seconds sitting broadside to the entire enemy team.

Stanley Pain posted:

The last few days have seen the absolute worst mouth breathers in Brawls and Asym.

Yeah I have no idea what the hell happened, but this is definitely my experience too. Asym was worse than in the beginning until this week, and now it's just been the world's most braindead motherfuckers doing the dumbest unbelievable poo poo you've ever seen.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 14, 2023

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’d imagine the players who were intrigued by the novelty of asymmetric have bailed out after the battleship nerf, or gotten bored, so you have more of the typical coop/bad players.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

IYeah I have no idea what the hell happened, but this is definitely my experience too. Asym was worse than in the beginning until this week, and now it's just been the world's most braindead motherfuckers doing the dumbest unbelievable poo poo you've ever seen.

I'm also really tired of people bringing tin cans cruisers into Brawl thinking they can hide behind islands or something...:argh:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Thought I would do the current French missions in asym, had a 440k damage game in my Republic, made over a million credits, was only player left alive at the end of the game and I lost 3 karma, obviously for being a tryhard.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I also bought a Gato with exactly 2 sub games to my name. All coop. I now have 4 sub games to my name. All coop. I am so clever me. :stare:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Even destroyers are frustrating, because bots 100% dodge torpedoes they shouldn't be able to detect, they have incredible aim and will focus you down the second you get spotted. So unless you're something like a Kitakaze that can sit in smoke and set fires, you will never get a god drat thing done.

The bots in this feel like inverse from the co-op on torp dodging. Co-op ones will happily sail directly into torps until about 7km, when they activate Eurobeats and can skate through them. Asym ones will immediately turn 90 degrees the second you fire at long range.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CitizenKain posted:

The bots in this feel like inverse from the co-op on torp dodging. Co-op ones will happily sail directly into torps until about 7km, when they activate Eurobeats and can skate through them. Asym ones will immediately turn 90 degrees the second you fire at long range.

Yep. They literally do. I spent a game testing it out in my Jäger. Doesn't matter if you're 13 km or 6 km away, literally the second you shoot torps at a boat, it starts turning away and maneuvering, when it has absolutely no way of detecting your torpedoes. It's so loving stupid and lazy.

Burt posted:

I also bought a Gato with exactly 2 sub games to my name. All coop. I now have 4 sub games to my name. All coop. I am so clever me. :stare:

It feels like subs would be absolutely miserable in co-op considering half the games are over in two minutes flat. If you ever want to try it out in a div one of these days, I've been playing a bunch most days (I assume you're xBurtx, the only other guy aside from me who appears on the Naval Battle participant lists).

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It feels like subs would be absolutely miserable in co-op considering half the games are over in two minutes flat. If you ever want to try it out in a div one of these days, I've been playing a bunch most days (I assume you're xBurtx, the only other guy aside from me who appears on the Naval Battle participant lists).

Yeah that's me. I would NEVER play subs with another person, I set up a training room yesterday with 2 Montana bots against me in my Gato, played 6 games and they beat me 4-2. :dogstare:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean I don't have any subs, so it'd be me playing something decent and humane and you in a sub.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean I don't have any subs, so it'd be me playing something decent and humane and you in a sub.

Well if people are actually around and wanting to group up, maybe I should play again some. What times are you on?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

wdarkk posted:

Well if people are actually around and wanting to group up, maybe I should play again some. What times are you on?

Between Beltane and Lughnasa normally.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wdarkk posted:

Usually around 18-20 GMT+2, but now that I'm on my summer vacation, when ever the mood strikes me.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

God help me but I reinstalled this game. Played mostly IJN BBs before, and while I did OK in midtiers, my winrate at 8/9/10 was garbage.

Going to grind up the USN BB line I think, and won't leave a tier until I feel I've mastered it. (Offer not valid for the jump to the fast battleship part of the line)

Is there still an active goon clan on EU?

Philonius fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 18, 2023

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Philonius posted:

Is there still an active goon clan on EU?

There's a goon clan called Goon Squid [GOON] that has about 6 people who play still, mainly never at the same time. If you want clan shenanigans you'd be better looking elsewhere to be honest but if you are happy playing solo ask for an invite, we have good clan discounts.

Also they are removing Asymmetric Battles and replacing them with airborne smoke screens and air dropped minefields. I am not even going to try that, thank you. Hopefully no one else will and that idea gets taken out back and hit with a shovel.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I play in EU from time to time

Still trying to grind all the RN boats which means I'm in the Undine a lot now. Sub are really hot and cold for me. For every good game there are 2 blowouts where you die instantly or can't catch anyone.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Do you no longer get signal flags for achievements in game now? I was sure you used to get signals for Dreadnought, Fireproof etc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aramoro posted:

Do you no longer get signal flags for achievements in game now? I was sure you used to get signals for Dreadnought, Fireproof etc.

Yeah they took that out, it was fun and made players happy so it had to go.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The old system was open to abuse at low tiers. Every day for my first match I would play Mikasa and typically rack up 100 signals from it. But ofc instead of limiting the acheivements to T5+ (like missions), they took the sledgehammer and made an aspect of the game worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've had the Marseille unlocked for a while now but never got around to buying it because people said it was bad. Well after falling in love with the Bourgogne I bought it anyway, and holy poo poo this thing's kinda cracked. I love having that 240 second +20% speed boost (with the speed boost duration mod) and that insane French shell velocity and penetration. Just casually citadeling cruisers from drat near maximum gun range, and insta-deleting a CV from 13 KM away after smacking him with 7 citadels in one salvo.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Who said the Marseille was bad? It's a drat good cruiser.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stanley Pain posted:

Who said the Marseille was bad? It's a drat good cruiser.

Potato Quality, some other YouTubers and the official forums (RIP).

Oh in case anyone missed it, WG deleted the official forums last week, so from now on they want everyone to go to their Discord.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Potato Quality, some other YouTubers and the official forums (RIP).

Oh in case anyone missed it, WG deleted the official forums last week, so from now on they want everyone to go to their Discord.

Surprised PQ didn't like it. Also most of the WOWs tubers/streams are toxic + whiny children these days (Flamu, Flambas, etc).

Didn't even know about their forums lol, but nothing of value was lost ;).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah 100% agreed on most WoWS streamers. Potato Quality, ChaosMachine and Notser are basically the only ones I watch, because they aren't constantly just foaming at the mouth yelling about everything and everyone. I'm not looking for toxic positivity or unpaid cheerleaders, but listening to someone like Flamu and his terrible audience is just so loving draining, even if he is very skilled at the game. You can be realistic about the game's state while still producing content that's entertaining, interesting and fun to watch.

IIRC PQ's problem with Marseille was that it basically combines the bad parts of playing limited cruisers with the bad parts of BBs. You don't have incredible survivability, and you don't have radar, while at the same time having guns that feel like BB guns, ie. they can just suddenly decide to place 8 out of 9 shells in the water around your target. And I mean, he's not 100% wrong about that. The Marseille doesn't have as much utility as Soviet cruisers or something, but the guns have been working fine for me so far, and it's a lot of fun to play, so I'm happy with my purchase.

And as for the forums, kind of agreed but it wasn't all whiny manchildren having constant slapfights. Some people did effort post a lot of useful stuff that directly led to problems in the game being discovered and sometimes fixed. Aside from the obvious stuff like LWM's ship reviews (which have been archived), some people did a lot of hard work and I guess most of that is now just gone.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Discord is an ephemeral medium, a constant stream of consciousness that makes it very hard to track old conversations or look up what was said before.

So it's perfect for a company that doesn't want pesky things like 'valid criticism' or 'things they said in the past' to get any traction.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Free supercontainer and 2 tactical containers today: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/25-years-of-wargaming/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

After resetting the Harugumo line a couple times I have the Ohio. This thing is kinda rad!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Surprised it hasn't been removed yet. I've had it for at least 2 years, back then it was kinda rare but it feels like there is one in every ranked match now.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Haru is a tt ship, it isn’t going anywhere. Also really not overpowered, it’s big, un agile, and vulnerable to radar. It’s also one of the few, if not the only, Japanese ships to see routine competitive play, but due to the smoke, as much as the firepower.

I never play mine because it needs spotting and team play to be effective in ranked, and I would rather just assume there won’t be a team and focus on killing the enemy dds.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think kaesarsosei was talking about the Ohio tbh :v:

I've also played a total of two games in the Harugumo. It just doesn't feel fun or relevant in the meta of 2023.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Oh right. They aren’t in a hurry to remove RB ships because it’s the big credit/free xp sink. I don’t have half the rp ships, and I have every non sub/cv steel boat and every non poo poo coal ship (and numerous poo poo ones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Velius posted:

Oh right. They aren’t in a hurry to remove RB ships because it’s the big credit/free xp sink. I don’t have half the rp ships, and I have every non sub/cv steel boat and every non poo poo coal ship (and numerous poo poo ones).

Yeah, that's a good point. It feels like they are also moving away from coal ships because I can't even remember when we last got a new one of those. Possibly the Malta? It's a bummer if they start to limit them behind steel and RB because those are so god drat slow to get for people who don't play clan battles.