Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm going to assume that you've played Alien: Isolation.

You have played that, right?

Oh for sure my friend, it rules. And yes I know Colonial Marines is probably poo poo and I know the story behind it. Never got to play it, huge fan of the Alien universe, and it was $5 for a coop game.

I'm enjoying it so far and cheers to the goon who reminded me to edit the Xenos.

Edit: Some poor soul on Reddit got his Deck run over and the number one comment is "Have you tried Proton Experimental?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well, has he?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Alright so there's less than an hour left here to 'save big' or 50$ in this case.

I'm not exactly a prolific steam gamer these days, but having a backup pc of sorts that I can do word processing on and watch downloaded videos as well as technically being a very able pc seems like a decent deal.

I'd likely be getting the 64gb version and then getting a 256 gb sd card, I'm wondering if the weird issues I keep reading about are true? Where you kind of don't want to be playing stuff off of the sd card? I wouldn't be using it much for big first party games, I still use consoles for that, the most taxing thing I'd be running would be Sandrock, or RE8 I suppose (Yes it's a big first party game but it's the newest and most demanding thing I own on steam).

Has anyone tried using it as a backup PC for work applications and the like? I was told that unix's handling of docx is fairly flawed so I guess going through margin edits from an editor might not function.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Playing off the SD is perfectly fine.

Minor issues would be slightly increased load times and downloading larger games might take longer.

I don’t even notice if I’m playing something off the SD card anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Blorknorg posted:

Has anyone tried using it as a backup PC for work applications and the like?

One guy but we mocked them to death over it

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

History Comes Inside! posted:

One guy but we mocked them to death over it

Goodness I'd better abandon the notion then, back to considering Raspberry Pis I guess.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't know what weird issues you're talking about, but I would wager that the vast majority of Steam Deck users are playing many (if not most) games off the SD card. I've got a 2TB SSD in mine and I still play a bunch of things off the SD card because I installed them there before I got the SSD and I'm lazy. It works. I even do hot swapping with my emulation SD card.

You're probably going to have to use OpenOffice/LibreOffice and I don't know how well that's going to work if you have a really critical workflow involving docx files, but they're basically fine. It's certainly a far more capable machine than a rpi, but you can probably do better for $400 if your use case is not really gaming.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I got a 1TB SD card and run basically all my games off of it and haven't had any issues, I admittedly play mostly indie stuff but I've played the most recent Yakuza off the SD card and it was completely fine.

Anyone picking up some last minute impulse buys? I'm getting Dave the Diver to see what all the fuss is about, and an assortment of random stuff off my wishlist, though I'm going to end up just going back to Siralim Ultimate because goddamn if that hasn't got its hooks in me deep with ~120 hours of playtime somehow in the last few weeks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blorknorg posted:

Goodness I'd better abandon the notion then, back to considering Raspberry Pis I guess.

It'll do better than. Ras pi for sure

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, Steam Deck vs. Raspberry Pi is a super weird comparison. For the price point I'd be looking at something like a NUC or equivalent, which might be more suitable if you don't really care about playing games or portability.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

And nothing about Apple products is "high quality" enough to justify the prices they charge. It's a blatant cash grab to charge as much as they do for the products they offer.
Apple is a hardware company first and foremost. They may well be profitable within other market segments they operate (iTunes, App Store, iCloud subscriptions, etc.) but their participation in those markets is to bolster hardware sales. Because of that, their margins are higher than most hardware manufactures. They also target their products towards the higher end of the market which is most profitable.

Google is the exact opposite. They're a service company first and foremost, with advertising providing the bulk of their revenue. To the extent they do make hardware, they do so to bolster usage of their services. To the extent they determine that hardware sales don't achieve that goal, they have no problem dropping product lines much to the chagrin of their users. (They do the same to unpopular services, too.) Valve is essentially the same as Google here, but narrower in scope, but also with a bit more freedom because they're privately owned and Gabe can do whatever he wants.

Most other hardware manufacturers are operating on the lower-end of the market and have very thin margins. They sell commodities and are profitable only due to sheer number of sales. They tend to not operate in adjacent markets, mostly because they don't have the resources to enter those markets and participate in them at a loss. Usually there's much less loyalty to a particular vendor here because the ecosystems are controlled by vendors not directly tied to the hardware, and the hardware itself is generally fungible.

Annath posted:

For 90% of casual users, an Apple product is a status symbol, not a "superior" value.
People like Apple products because they're consistent. Yes they cost a premium, but you can pretty consistently guarantee that in another two years you can buy a same-but-better phone and a same-but-better tablet.

I personally like Google's hardware offerings, but investment in their platform hurts because there's no guarantee they'll keep a product-line around long term. For years my 2013 Nexus 7 was one of my favorite devices, but they never followed it up. Until now with the Pixel Tablet, but it's a decade too late so I've leaned much more heavily on an iPad Mini instead. My last phone was a Pixel 2, my current is a Pixel 5A. It seems they're continuing the mid-range Pixel ?A line which is great, but I fully expect them to drop it sometime too. If they do, I might end up moving to an iPhone because at least I know in another few years I can just buy another iPhone.

I also think the Deck is a great product, but we'll have to see exactly what kind of future it has.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Last post re: Apple

I wasn't really referring to phones or tablets. I disagree about the usefulness of iPhones vs Android phones, but sure you can make a case for consistency. Tablet wise, the iPad is the best, no question. I have one myself for comics.

However, there is no practical reason for a consumer to purchase an Apple laptop or desktop. They are purely worse than a comparably priced PC in basically every metric.

I don't buy the argument that Macs are better for creatives - if you're willing to actually check specs, you can put together a PC with a better color space monitor, a better rendering processor, and better RAM than anything Apple offers, at the same or lower price.

People/companies are just lazy and have more money than sense.

Or, like my brother, have less money but way less sense and buy a MacBook Pro because "I need it" and only use it for writing college essays and playing League of Legends.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still have and use my 2013 MacBook Pro and it’s not the fastest thing in the world but it still works really drat well.

Apple hardware is imo the top and they have fantastic service as well. I’ll gladly pay extra for it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

tater_salad posted:

Guys what are the brotato strats here.. I bought it on goon recommendation but like.. the arena's so small and i dont know what I"m doing.

Brotato is absolutely a game you have to look up strategies and walkthroughs for. Nothing is explained, and you have to know how items synergize, how bonuses work, how armor and HP work. I flailed around with it for a while, them looked up help and it was literally a game changer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Annath posted:

I don't buy the argument that Macs are better for creatives - if you're willing to actually check specs, you can put together a PC with a better color space monitor, a better rendering processor, and better RAM than anything Apple offers, at the same or lower price.

Yeah but then you try to make your picture in the windows version of Super Cool Picture Maker and it shits the bed, and you have to tear your hair out trying to work out why because instead of the overpriced box with a very narrow range of possible hardware in it you have a cheaper one filled with one of infinitely possible combinations and there’s no logical reason it shouldn’t work but :shrug:

That’s the main draw for creatives now, it’s part of the overall inertia the brand has.

I’m almost certainly never gonna buy a Mac computer because they cost way too much for too little power for the things I do with computers, but I get why people buy them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Creative types don't necessarily want to put together a PC. They want to be able to go to the Apple Store and buy what they need on the spot. Even the higher absolute cost may be preferred if it means they can do their job faster and with less stress than trying to put together a PC build, walk into a Best Buy, deal with anything Windows, or whatever else may be counterproductive for them.

To your point, sure, the performance/price ratio of a home-built PC will exceed that of an Apple machine. But the total sum of everything the Apple ecosystem has to offer these folks consistently has greater value to them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also like I said if your Apple takes a poo poo you can take it to an Apple Store and most of the time have it resolved as quickly as possible.

I had an HP laptop that had a screen issue and they kept the fuckin thing for 4 weeks trying to fix it.

Nothing I’ve used beats apples service. Nothing really comes close tbh.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Nothing is explained in Brotato? Their UI is kinda glorious for the amount of information it gives you. You can mouse over almost everything to get an explanation of what it does.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Yeah, for what it's worth I've managed to clear up to Danger 3 so far just kinda feeling it out. My general approach:
  1. Does the character suggest a certain playstyle (e.g. high health, no ranged weapons, low speed)? Use that to guide weapon/item picks that build on that.
    • For example, if you have a low-health character and all health upgrades are half as effective, maybe put points into dodge or armor. Can the character only use ranged weapons? Then you can safely take items with melee penalties.
  2. Get weapons in every hand that don't run completely counter to your character's perks, and try getting even numbers (2, 4, etc.) so you can merge them (free upgrade!) when you need space for newer, better weapons.
  3. Generally two level 1 weapons are better than one level 2 (so don't merge too early), but a few good high level weapons can be better than a full set of low level, especially in later waves.
  4. Be careful about taking risky items (reduced health, more enemies, special enemies) until you're comfortable with your build, it's easy to overplay your hand and get steamrolled.
  5. Maybe ignore all these tips (except #1) if the character is a weirder one (e.g. can only do elemental damage, can equip 12 weapons, can't attack while moving). Treat it like a puzzle.

EDIT: Also if you're having trouble with generalist characters, maybe try something specialized, like Ranger or Engineer. Since they can only use specific types of weapons/effects (which are buffed to compensate) you have less stuff to pick from, and it's easier to find synergies.

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 13, 2023

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

MarcusSA posted:

Also like I said if your Apple takes a poo poo you can take it to an Apple Store and most of the time have it resolved as quickly as possible.

I had an HP laptop that had a screen issue and they kept the fuckin thing for 4 weeks trying to fix it.

Nothing I’ve used beats apples service. Nothing really comes close tbh.

if you have like a real repair it'll disappear into the back for a while or even get set into the depot, its not magic. their service is dog poo poo for enterprise/business customers too. heck its pretty easy to get a dell warranty where they'll come to your house, but if you spend $5 million a year with apple you still have to go to the loving store like a sucker. nearest one to me is 25 minutes away, and you can't get an appointment within 48 hours usually because it's so busy.

I get weird when people pretend apple is doing some magic, they're not. but then again anyone saying the m1/m2 are comparable to any intel chip these days are also being weird, that was a total game changer and nothing comes close on the PC side. I've never found MacOS any easier or more intuitive to use than windows, but Ive also now been using windows for almost 30 years so maybe its just me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My iPad is the most reliable, quality piece of hardware I've ever owned. It does everything I need it to and does it quickly.

I don't buy any other apple products but the iPad is quality.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

PantsBandit posted:

My iPad is the most reliable, quality piece of hardware I've ever owned. It does everything I need it to and does it quickly.

I don't buy any other apple products but the iPad is quality.

I gave my brother my 2006 Macbook in 2010 as I had an iPad that was covering all my needs and he really really needed a laptop, we were at the same university.

He used that thing all the way until 2016. 10 year old laptop that ran perfectly well.

That 2010 iPad still runs FTL and a few other games just fine. Hell I prefer FTL on that versus PC/Deck

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Brotato is sort of about knowledge of items/stats. You'll discover items as you go, and hovering over stats (there's a secondary stats panel too) will tell you exactly what they do (like, armour will tell you exactly what % damage you're ignoring, regen will tell you how many HP/s you're getting...). After that it's a case of deciding what stats/items you want to focus on for your character. Some stats won't play ball with each other, and for example you generally want to focus on one damage type (melee/ranged/elemental) which will allow you to use the other two as dump stats. Same for survivability: while dodge/armour are always good bets, after that you have the choice to focus on life steal (synergises well with attack speed and generally fast weapons), regeneration (slow, so generally depends on decent armour investment) or food drops (luck will increase the drops and some items increases the healing from food).

Weapons will also have their own stats/items that work better with them (for example precise weapons and crit chance). Apart from specific characters, it is often a good idea to focus on exactly one weapon. Each weapon you have increases the chance of that weapon appearing in shops, so if you only buy Lightning Shivs (a fantastic weapon for an elemental damage build), you'll get plenty more in the shops for additional upgrades. First buy some basic ones to fill up your 6 weapon slots (more small attacks > one big attack), then as more appear, use them to merge them into higher tiers.

Shopping is a big thing. You want to buy all that works for your stats and pump up numbers while dunking on your dump stats. Apart from specific characters/builds (saver, farmer...) you want to spend all your money every round. And if you can't afford something, note that you can lock items and they'll be there on shop reroll or next level shop, so there's no risk to miss out on a cool item because your 3 gold short. Beating the game with each character will also unlock new items in stores, diluting the pool, but adding some great options, so it's a net win overall.

And of course, there's also the basic movement patterns that you get used to. Same with monsters, what some particularly annoying ones do (the brains, the big ones which release the tiny shooters...) and how you prioritise/tackle them before things get out of control.

To try and get your first win, I'd say prioritise Luck early on, as well as Dodge/Armour. That means items too. Items which give big Luck buffs often have small negative downsides that you can easily compensate. Luck increases food drops, gives you more chances to get higher tier levelups/items, and some really good items scale their damage on luck (Cyberball, Baby Elephant...). Buy all items that increases healing from consumables. Try to buy items with big speed buffs too, speed will help a lot when kiting like mad in some waves, as well as against the boss on wave 20. For numbers, 5-10 armour will help a lot, and you want to cap dodge at 60. Choose a single non-precise weapon and only invest in that damage type (Lightning Shiv + Elemental is really good if your character has it as an option), ignore life steal/regen/crit/harvesting. Harvesting is insanely good and snowballs even harder than Luck, but it's not a great beginner build imho, since it costs you a lot of picks that would otherwise go to damage/survival. Farmer completely breaks the game with his harvesting buff, it's kinda hilarious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Annath posted:

I dunno how it was back in the Intel days, but the M series chips have been efficient as hell. From what I’ve heard from video editors, there’s a night and day difference between rendering a video on an M1 compared to a similarly spec’d PC. It’s not entirely a matter of raw power = better.

Again, I’m not here to evangelize. I fully understand that Apple is not for most people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Annath posted:

I dunno, I've tried various Macs/MacOS versions over the years, and I've never found the UX to be any better than Windows. In fact, given the dominance of Windows in the market, it's it's somewhat worse because there are features/quirks that don't translate between the two.

And nothing about Apple products is "high quality" enough to justify the prices they charge. It's a blatant cash grab to charge as much as they do for the products they offer.

For 90% of casual users, an Apple product is a status symbol, not a "superior" value.

lmfao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you are genuinely out of your loving mind if you think windows is better than any other OS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yes all OSes suck in their own way, but Windows is the worst for "death by a thousand cuts" stuff. Just the little irritating things that drive you up the loving wall over time.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One place where the iPad absolutely wipes the floor with everything else is pinball, unless you literally build a virtual table. Pity that Farsight lost the good table licenses, Zen isn't nearly as good at supporting it.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you are genuinely out of your loving mind if you think windows is better than any other OS

My games are on Windows, what does Mac have?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RFC posted:

My games are on Windows, what does Mac have?

A file explorer that isn't complete dog poo poo, and spotlight search built in which is better than any start menu

Windows literally just has games and even then only a few holdouts that I don't really give a poo poo about because they're live service garbage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol Mac stands

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Man Sky and RE8 are on Mac now checkmate

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Defending how windows does literally anything is pretty drat cringe

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Macs are rear end to use and I hate having to know how they work just because my mum bought one and fucks it up on a regular basis just using it to look at Facebook and email other old people.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Macs are rear end to use and I hate having to know how they work just because my mum bought one and fucks it up on a regular basis just using it to look at Facebook and email other old people.

Skill issue.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Snackula posted:

KDE feels like a cursed artifact from the nightmare dimension where Windows Vista never died.

The cool thing about KDE is it has a fuckin space capsules worth of toggles and menus that means you can reconfigure it to something totally different and modern if it messes with you that much.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I've been a Linux user for ages and I buy Thinkpads and they suit my needs which include creative interests.

If I really had to work with a Mac I'd buy an M1, because while I'm not a fan of the OS (How the utter gently caress do you break copy and paste. How. I just Do Not even,) for many reasons, you cannot deny that the M1 is superior to pretty much any Windows-vendored device on the market.

I'd still use Linux on it though, because as a platform I can open up the hood and check it for problems if I really need to, rather than the windows bottom line of "Oh I have to spend a day reinstalling the OS / buy a new USB" and the Mac OS "I'll just buy a new one". I've never been rich enough in funds for either of those. What Linux gives me is almost infinite repairability and de-fuckability, for the price of spending my teens learning about computers. Anything else just frustrates me and leaves me (and often the person whose computer I'm diagnosing) feeling powerless.

Aside from that though, I have had my fair share of 10yro laptops that ive worked on primarily and things were fine. The Thinkpads from '10 were quality built and super upgradable. My 2008 X200 has 8 gigs of RAM in it lol

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 13, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I loving hate MacOS

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Are there any easy guides on how to go about torrenting :filez: for a new steam deck user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does steam have any sort of queue system? Between the steam summer sale and the recent Humble cyberpunk bundle, I've got a grip of games I want to play through. It would be nice to be able to make a "Play Next" queue to keep track of things and sort of help plan that to play.