Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pretty much any UPS store will have a notary. My 18 yr old kid is an Oregon notary due to working at a UPS store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lifehack: Become a notary

I looked into that as my wife’s a lawyer & notary in NY: you can’t perform a notarial act if you have an interest in the transaction…

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pretty much any UPS store will have a notary. My 18 yr old kid is an Oregon notary due to working at a UPS store.

Sure, it’s not insurmountable. But coordinating renting a trailer (because lol if you think OH allows you to drive a purchased vehicle back home legally), the notary and a potential lien on a Saturday, while relying on the seller to have their poo poo together, and being a couple of hours ways from home is still a giant pain in the rear end that has to be worth the effort.

morothar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 9, 2023

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

morothar posted:

But coordinating renting a trailer (because lol if you think OH allows you to drive a purchased vehicle back home legally), the notary and a potential lien on a Saturday, while relying on the seller to have their poo poo together, and being a couple of hours ways from home is still a giant pain in the rear end that has to be worth the effort.

I've ridden 3 bikes home from out of state w/ their original plates; another 2, I threw in a van and drove home. the title notarization and out-of-state title inspection processes are indeed a pain in the dick, and it's even worse if there's no county auditor's office to do the title inspection next to a bmv location near you. extra fun, if you don't have a title in your name, you can't even get a temp tag from the BMV

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This may be personal preference, make sure someone has their endorsement and/or insurance BEFORE riding the bike.

I was over at my friends house rebuilding the suspension on his dirtbike when this guy came to look at his road bike.

1. My friend didn't ask about his riding experience, or if he had his endorsement.
2. He didn't check/ask first to see the cash prior to riding the bike. Honestly most times Ive bought a bike, its surprising how trusting people are as nobody has ever asked me for cash up front or collateral as Ive usually driven my car to their home.

The guy gets on the bike (ninja of some sort I wasn't familiar with) and it was 100% clear this guy was not comfortable riding a bike. He struggled shifting and his steering seemed very wobbly. I kept my mouth shut but I thought he was going to end up skidding across the street or end up taking out a mailbox. He then cranked the throttle and whiskeyed up the street a bit. Thankfully it was empty but he didn't hold a straight line. When he went to turn around, you could tell he was nervous as he initiated a turn but backed out several times until he got to an intersection and just used the entire intersection. He also didn't wear a helmet the entire time.

When he came back he had some weird excuses for his riding, its been a while, my bike is very different, etc. He ended up buying the bike but not after some asinine attempts to pay far less than asking. He also had to leave, run to the bank to get the cash, and then come back. If the guy was honest and just said "hey, I'm new to riding" maybe it would initiate my friend to go over the controls or help him out but guys are always trying to be macho.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Update on the Trident: the shifter detent arm return spring had popped out.
The shop claims they haven’t seen that before; the internet is awash with an issue 10 years ago where springs were deemed too weak. Not so much recently.
If you know what you’re doing, seems like a few hours or so of labor, plus a new gasket and some washers.

They’re waiting for the parts to come in, so I should have the bike back either this or next Saturday.

morothar fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 12, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If they fail to do that fix in an hour or less they are either incompetent or criminals

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

If they fail to do that fix in an hour or less they are either incompetent or criminals

It’s under warranty, so it’s their problem.

Agree though, there’s a video of somebody doing that job on a Tiger, and it takes him ~an hour. I’ve seen reports of 3-4 hours post-warranty, which would really piss me off.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Captain McAllister posted:

Bar ends get the mirrors out far enough that I can see behind me. I ran cheapies for years, but got a good deal on used CRG Arrow quick flips, and they're game changing. The mirrors are big enough, the materials are heavy enough, and the mounting system is designed properly so that everything isn't just a blurry mess in them - compared to an Amazon set, where one fell off on the first ride.
After reading this post I actually ordered this brand (hindsight ls though) and they are pretty awesome. There is no vibration and the picture is better (although smaller) than the stock ones for my XSR. They are also the lane splitting ones so they fold in. Also nice to not have those stock ones in my view when I am riding.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Had a fuel leak on my Hornet so I've got the carburetors off it and I'm replacing all the seals. Not my first rodeo at all, but I've found that these carbs apparently use a single-d screwhead/driver for the pilot mix screw, which is fine, I'll go source the correct driver for it, but also how on earth do you adjust this screw with the carbs on the bike?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

RadioPassive posted:

Had a fuel leak on my Hornet so I've got the carburetors off it and I'm replacing all the seals. Not my first rodeo at all, but I've found that these carbs apparently use a single-d screwhead/driver for the pilot mix screw, which is fine, I'll go source the correct driver for it, but also how on earth do you adjust this screw with the carbs on the bike?

I'm sure I saw in a Honda carb-related video a guy using a D bit on the end of a flexible/spring head.

Edit: found it, this video at 8:45 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKjZ_jCw3cM&t=525s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Very carefully

While you can do what the video above does, I have always just replaced them with regular slot head ones cause I don't want to deal with that bullshit

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Rusty posted:

After reading this post I actually ordered this brand (hindsight ls though) and they are pretty awesome. There is no vibration and the picture is better (although smaller) than the stock ones for my XSR. They are also the lane splitting ones so they fold in. Also nice to not have those stock ones in my view when I am riding.

:hellyeah:

I have the arrows on my 701 SM and with the way the bars are on that, I basically have a clean, unobstructed view with them on.

The arrows are slightly convex, and you can spin/ flip them on the mounts so the end of the mirror is flush with the end of the bar, or so that they hang over a bit and the slight fisheye effect helps out a bit.

Those look clean and cafe-racer ish on your bike, though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
CRG build quality is top-notch with one exception, and it's something they may have fixed since the last time I bought any of their stuff: the anodizing will fade really badly with UV exposure

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sato says the same thing about their parts, so I assume that is something that just happens with anodizing.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I bought an integrated taillight/turn signal unit for my FZ6 since I got cases that hide the rear signals from most angles, and I have a question about the wiring. The taillight itself is pretty self evident, 3 wires to 3 wires, but it’s only got one wire for each signal where the originals have 2. Do I need to do anything with those now superfluous grounds?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You don't, they literally just go straight to earth already

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

That’s what I thought but it’s been a long time since I did any electrical theory and wanted to be sure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is it you're supposed to spray at your carb boots to check for cracks/leaks? Was it ether or starter fluid?

Mine look ok at first blush but I feel like it's been getting poppier on decel over the last year or so, figured it'd be an easy thing to check. (Haven't had the plugs out for a while so I can't speak as to the state of them.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

What is it you're supposed to spray at your carb boots to check for cracks/leaks? Was it ether or starter fluid?

Mine look ok at first blush but I feel like it's been getting poppier on decel over the last year or so, figured it'd be an easy thing to check. (Haven't had the plugs out for a while so I can't speak as to the state of them.)

They're the same thing

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
So the S1000 has an 'anti-hopping' (slipper?) clutch...Do they always feel pretty numb at the lever? I've never ridden a bike with one before and I'm finding it to be a bit of a guessing game finding the friction zone by feel, making low speed stuff a litte tricky.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that's not a slipper clutch thing, it's a BMW thing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They're the same thing

Idle didn't budge, so that's good news. Still kinda feel like I should grab a full rack of carb boots for the next time I have to pull them. No guarantee they'll be around in another 2-5 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you're getting decel popping you didn't get before, and there's definitely no vacuum leak, there are a few possibilities arranged roughly most to least likely

Pilot circuits dirty/carbs out of sync
Fuel quality/contamination
Muffler rotting out
Air filter disintegrating
PAIR system fault
Valve clearances tight

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Feels like it's been poppier since at least last year.

There's some things on that list that could be the case, a couple that it almost or certainly can't be (air filter's an oiled k&n (and the bike was rejetted appropriately), a PO deleted the PAIR system), and I'm due or even overdue for a valve check

But also I started making a conscious effort last year to downshift while braking, rather than clutching in in anticipation, so it's possible I'm experiencing what the bike would have been doing anyway if I didn't suck

How do I check the muffler packing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is it the original muffler? Congrats it's hosed

If it's aftermarket you have to drill out the rivets/remove the screws and take it apart

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is it the original muffler? Congrats it's hosed

If it's aftermarket you have to drill out the rivets/remove the screws and take it apart

Nah it's aftermarket. Guessing regular-rear end pop rivets are fine to put it back together?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah just drill them out and put new ones in, there are loads of tutorials on how to do this stuff out there, it's pretty straightforward

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Ah, fair enough. The clutch lever is a really light pull too which probably doesn't help either. I'm just having to deal with a few jerks when pulling away at slow speeds because I cant tell when its engaging.

I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
at least you aren't stalling it in traffic

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
at least not anymore...the first few days were...fun!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you had to re-wire a bike harness, what weatherproof connectors would you use?

My boyfriend has a bike he uses for work and the loom could be charitably described as dogshit: it's mostly a rats nest of these stuffed into the back of the headlamp where they can get nice and wet: https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-50-connectors/c-117-multi-connectors/p-615-mini-connectors-2-8mm. We've already replaced all the cables along the swingarm because the originals chafed through, and I'm resigned to the fact it's all going to poo poo itself one day so I have a project in mind to build a replacement loom ahead of time.

I'm not scared of wiring, but this is my first foray into vehicle connectors and I'm overwhelmed by the range of choice. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whatever connector you choose, please buy the right crimp tool for it, preferably from the same vendor.

Anecdotal stuff: back when I was riding/working on standup jetskis a lot, I was very fond of water proof Japanese bullet connectors. I think these were even available with pre-filled solder cups so you would just use a heat gun to solder and heat shrink it in one step. Yamaha uses them as OEM parts.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whatever connector you choose, please buy the right crimp tool for it, preferably from the same vendor.

Anecdotal stuff: back when I was riding/working on standup jetskis a lot, I was very fond of water proof Japanese bullet connectors. I think these were even available with pre-filled solder cups so you would just use a heat gun to solder and heat shrink it in one step. Yamaha uses them as OEM parts.

No worries there, I can't stand using poo poo tools and I only want to do this once so I'm buying a good crimper if I actually go through with this.

Those waterproof bullets look interesting; is there any concern about vibration shaking them apart or does the heatshrink take care of that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The metal pieces interlock and the insulation covers also overlap, making for a pretty secure connection.
I probably wouldn't use these to redo a motorcycle wiring harness as they are not very space efficient and it might suck to have to plug/unplug individual wires when you could be using a multi pole connector.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cheap but good option: weather pack connectors. Often found on lower end race bikes and Italian bikes, they're waterproof and light.

Expensive but very good option: deutsch connectors, often found on Harleys, they're waterproof and last forever.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I went to AMP superseal for car stuff, there are slightly smaller options for motorcycle stuff tho I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whatever connectors and then just blob a poo poo ton of dielectric grease in them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Whatever connectors and then just blob a poo poo ton of dielectric grease in them

Also an option, this is the factory method on a lot of scooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Does this sound like brake pad contamination?

The previous owner of my FJR had a fork seal leak and a leaking banjo fitting. He had them fixed, all is dry now, but i can clearly see dried residue from both on the calipers.

The front brake is really weak. Almost dangerously so. The lever is nice and firm, so I don't suspect air (I'll be bleeding the system regardless), but there's just nowhere near the stopping power there should be.

Assuming that's the case, is trying to clean them a fool's errand?