Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Highest grossing since 2019 is kind of a weak comparison though - the only Pixar film in that span that got a full theatrical run was Lightyear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Highest grossing since 2019 is kind of a weak comparison though - the only Pixar film in that span that got a full theatrical run was Lightyear

It's all Disney animation, not just Pixar, so as the tweet points out it includes Encanto, but also Raya, Strange World.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Eh, Encanto went to streaming 30 days after release and Raya was in March 2021 which is before I got my first vaccine shot. Those both feel like asterisks.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

For some reason my brain classed Encanto as a Pixar film, whoops

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Honestly a big relief. I was expecting it to feel generic but elemental actually had a really strong message imo. Racism and its entrenched institutions from a very different angle to Zootopia (also a better angle).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's still a flop, but I do think it should hit $300M WW by the end of the summer. wouldn't make back its money in theaters, but could make it back all the way with streaming

so that'd be nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Koramei posted:

Honestly a big relief. I was expecting it to feel generic but elemental actually had a really strong message imo. Racism and its entrenched institutions from a very different angle to Zootopia (also a better angle).
Yeah I honestly think it's weird how everyone gushed about zootopia for what is imo an incredibly weak/generic message about fantasy racism and then randomly got mad at Elemental for how it handled racism in a fairly realistic way

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Zootopia came out pre-Trump/the great political awakening if it came out in 2023 I guarantee the internet would erupt in discourse about carnivore racism and bunny cops.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
pretty sure people were still saying acab about judy even back then

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mystes posted:

Yeah I honestly think it's weird how everyone gushed about zootopia for what is imo an incredibly weak/generic message about fantasy racism and then randomly got mad at Elemental for how it handled racism in a fairly realistic way

I think a lot of that is people who were just going by the trailer and not the actual movie. The trailers REALLY wanted to hammer home the FIRE AND WATER DON'T MIX and the racism stuff isn't really a cut and dry as that

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I was gonna say. I heard plenty of people saying Zootopia was copaganda. And I really don't think they were explicit trying to do that, they just wanted a fantasy setting where cops are mostly good but real life cops kind of ruin that. I wouldn't be surprised if Zootopia 2 goes a much more corrupt cops route (though ultimately will try do a one rotten apple spoils the bunch thing with it).

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 13, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Invictus posted:

Not as many as post-Floyd

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
There's something about animals vs elements that I just find less annoying when they're being used as monocultural stereotypes. Nostalgia for movies like Robin Hood? The nod to fables? Something. But it's visceral.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Slyphic posted:

There's something about animals vs elements that I just find less annoying when they're being used as monocultural stereotypes. Nostalgia for movies like Robin Hood? The nod to fables? Something. But it's visceral.
I don't think the species of animals necessarily represented different ethnic groups in Robin Hood

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The metaphor in Elemental is a lot weaker. I haven't seen the movies, so I can't say which is better. As a premise, though, it feels more restrictive. Less capable of being subtle or indirect.

I do not disagree that Zootopia is copaganda to a fair degree. It's just also a movie that says, "the police are a tool wielded by the political establishment to enforce racial hierarchies." I think it's cool to have that message in a kids movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alhazred posted:

Halloween Ends
Spends waay too much runtime on weird relationship drama. Honestly more of a rom-com than a horro movie.

This is for the Movie You Just Watched thread probably but I chose to believe it's animated

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

This is for the Movie You Just Watched thread probably but I chose to believe it's animated

God, I wish. That would be so cool.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only thing I'd change about Zootopia is have them both be private eyes at the end. Regardless, the abortion comic with the surprisingly good artwork would still be valid.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mystes posted:

Strictly going by the state of the conversation before Elemental actually came out, so this has nothing to do with how the movie actually handles it:

Firstly, there was plenty of criticism of Zootopia for the racism metaphor having unfortunate implications if you really thought it through. Secondly, it's much easier to rationalize that by imagining that the animals just like, evolved different or whatever (they also talk and build cities, after all). Like they figured out that they actually didn't need to be predators or something. That's a harder leap to make with something as basic as fire & water.

Again, I haven't seen it (like most people) so I don't know the actual answer to how they addressed this. I'm just talking about why people have been reluctant to see it. Which also makes sense because it just hasn't been out very long. It's not really "random".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Wittgen posted:

The metaphor in Elemental is a lot weaker. I haven't seen the movies, so I can't say which is better. As a premise, though, it feels more restrictive. Less capable of being subtle or indirect.

I guess it is more restrictive, but I don’t know that that’s innately a bad thing, especially since despite perhaps its greater capability for nuance/subtlety, Zootopia falls a bit flat on the deeper implications of its message . Whereas in Elemental, yeah okay it’s a bit simpler but the visual presentation of systematic racism is visceral and imo really effective; seeing the constant discomforts and dangers the fire elementals have to navigate just to exist in the city, let alone immerse themselves into a water dominated space.

I mean, writing it out, not gonna say it isn’t on the nose; but what’s wrong with that?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Captain Invictus posted:

This is such media illiterate horseshit. It's a significant plot point that only ONE COP'S A BUNNY.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It’s not as scathing as some would like but yeah I didn’t really come out of Zootopia thinking it portrayed cops in a good light

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Papercut posted:

Good, Elemental was good
i'm happy to see an immigrant story getting any positive reception even if it's bland, sadly every little bit counts in this day and age

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The elemental people seen in the trailers seemed quasai immortal. Do the fire people really die if they are completely inundated with water? An air person gets hit by a bus and is completely fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Panfilo posted:

The elemental people seen in the trailers seemed quasai immortal. Do the fire people really die if they are completely inundated with water? An air person gets hit by a bus and is completely fine.
good question op

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I'm not sure how air elementals would die, but the elementals certainly *believe* they can die as presented in the movie and also I don't think the realism of the world presented is important for the story at all

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Panfilo posted:

Do the fire people really die if they are completely inundated with water? An air person gets hit by a bus and is completely fine.
the world of Elemental was not created to stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny and viewers should be directed to follow the MST3K Mantra when possible

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Personally, I don't like it.

Anyway, here's a minute and a half clip from the new TMNT for people like me who like to ruin their cinema experience:
https://youtu.be/MvWE4EkzVJs

Looks really good. I think I'll have to find a way to go see it in cinemas without having shrieking toddlers around.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God that looks so good. I love all their interactions. "You sound like you have bronchitis" :lol:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I could watch a whole movie of that, no enemies needed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I feel like this and other recent projects have a tendency to make Donatello extra lame, and as he is my favorite, they should stop.

Like, they gave him the little kid voice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This Donatello is not lame. :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hope the rumor of a new TMNT series getting spun out of this movie ends up being true as I really like the cast so far

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

This Donatello is not lame. :colbert:

Someone voiced by Gumball can't be lame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Someone voiced by Gumball can't be lame.

He is? Which Gumball?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

He is? Which Gumball?

Uh...looking around I got the turtles and voices mixed up.

Leo is the one voiced by the current(I think?) Gumball VA(Nicolas) and Don is voiced by someone completely new to the scene, but he sounds a lot like how I remember Gumball sounding.

Also didn't realize Gumball had 3 VA changes like knew about the first one, but didn't know about the second one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Leo is the one voiced by the current(I think?) Gumball VA(Nicolas) and Don is voiced by someone completely new to the scene, but he sounds a lot like how I remember Gumball sounding.

Also didn't realize Gumball had 3 VA changes like knew about the first one, but didn't know about the second one.
shameful

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s a problem you run into when you have a long running show where the characters are voiced by kids but don’t age as the series goes on (Hey Arnold had the same issue)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mystes posted:

shameful

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Larryb posted:

That’s a problem you run into when you have a long running show where the characters are voiced by kids but don’t age as the series goes on (Hey Arnold had the same issue)

Another problem is that sometimes kids who play secondary characters for a few years turn into right wing nut jobs and then you’re stuck dealing with Steven Crowder