Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

danbanana posted:

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about these issues moving into Fall. I hated the First Strike issues and the two recent ones are both well-written but also... a bunch of talking heads? Solid revelations in both Apocalypse and Sinisters, but also both were framed around two people retelling their past. Very much the same structures, even to the final "reveals." Also, the publishing timing of these seems out of order with issues from the last few weeks. Maybe it's intentional that they had Selene show up in Immortal before they explain how she got there and maybe it's intentional that the last issue of Red seemed to be missing a lot of info on what was going on in Amenth that only now makes sense. Or maybe not.

I did very much like the further exploration into Apocalypse and Genesis. Ewing did a great job of tying up a lot of big questions about that whole thing. Good twist on why Genesis went over to Amenth. Good characterization of Apocalypse-as-Dad that fits into his whole thing. I didn't love the attempt to explain why Genesis was going to Earth/Arrako to gently caress poo poo up, though. I'm not sure why the witch's revelations would convince her to do that.

X-Men 24 had some fun stuff with Kid Cable because I very much like Orchis as villains and seeing the big guns together is nice. The Jean-Scott thing is apparently upsetting folks and maybe for good reason. Scott's issue with Arrako doesn't really pass muster if you think about it too hard in light of what's been done with Krakoa. It's literally the same thing just further away?

Genesis makes sense to me. She's lead her people for thousands of years under the assumption that strength and conquest equals survival, only to then learn that those people took a devastating loss almost immediately after she stopped leading them. Of course she thinks she needs to return and course correct.

While I don't know if I fully agree with Cyclops, I do think there is an important distinction between Krakoa and Arrako. Namely, Krakoa was set up not only as haven for mutants, but also a competitive super power on a global stage which, by definition, necessitates interaction with the rest of the world. While they did something similar at an intergalactic level for Arrako, it's been largely segregated from Earth.

That said, I'm also a bit ambivalent about Fall of X so far as an event, which sucks because as you said, two of the three stories so far are very well written. I think I'd like them a lot better if they where presented as their own narrative, even if they still end up tying together down the road. Because beyond Orchis being a notable threat in all of them, they all seem rather disparate.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So what's the timeline with Amenth here? I guess I'm confused whether the Akkaba witch tells Genesis about what's going on with Arrako before or after she kills the White Sword and Ironfire escapes to warn everyone.

Because I initially interpreted the Arrako revelation to be the thing that triggers her to kill the White Sword.

But I think the intent is that Genesis fucks up the White Sword and Jon escapes. And after that Genesis learns about Arrako/Mars, and convinces Apocalypse to open the gateway.

If it's the former, I think there's missing information on why they needed to do that at all.

If it's the latter, then Genesis killing the White Sword is completely independent of her reasons for coming to Earth/Arrako. So why did Jon need to warn anyone that she was coming?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Genesis learns about the state of Arrako after they defeat the last summoners. She then goes after White Sword, and afterword convinces Apocalypse to open the gateway. Seems like she had always planned to eventually take on White Sword, but it became prioritized after she started consolidating power for invading Arrako. She wanted the sword and army.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My boy Apocalypse is gonna end up being one of the X-Men's saviors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

danbanana posted:

Maybe it's intentional that they had Selene show up in Immortal before they explain how she got there

I don't think Selene needs any justification. She has super powerful magic and is basically the oldest living mutant. She has comeback without explanation before a few times (She states she can reform herself from ash at one point)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
With cases like that, I don't get why they never just scoop up the remains, hop onto a space ship, head to the literal other side of the galaxy and dump them in the nearest black hole to that point. Shoulda done it with Creed too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sentinel Red posted:

With cases like that, I don't get why they never just scoop up the remains, hop onto a space ship, head to the literal other side of the galaxy and dump them in the nearest black hole to that point. Shoulda done it with Creed too.

Somebody'll just time travel back, swap the corpse with a LMD, and revive the body using chaos magick. They've all been through this before, splitting the body into eight pieces and burying them at intersections of ley lines only buys you an extra six months or so.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Some art was mistakenly shared and it might’ve revealed who won the X-Men vote.

Juggernaut

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am happy to have a non mutant in the crew.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Codependent Poster posted:

My boy Apocalypse is gonna end up being one of the X-Men's saviors.

this presumes his wife doesn't beat him up again

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Immortal X-Men continues to be really loving good. Feels like it's fulfilling some of Hickman's original plans for how the Krakoa era would end, even though I have no idea how much that's actually the case (and I continue to be bummed out by Hickman abandoning his plan for Moira in favor of just making her a villain, tbh).

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Really good issue. My new head-cannon is that Fall of X is actually Autumn of Xavier. Things will get worked out, and then Xavier will take a little break to enjoy the changing leaves and a Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I think it's leading to Krakoa still being around, but as a place for mutants who need protection and don't want to fight.

We've seen how Cyclops and Xavier have said they want integration between mutants and humans and I think we'll see that with the X-Men and a return to having a school or something where they're based out of.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Yeah, the Krakoa status quo has probably been too successful for Marvel not to at least keep significant elements of it in place. I doubt they'll go back fully to being based out of Westchester or Central Park or what have you.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't want Krakoa as it is to end :(

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Cartridgeblowers posted:

It's so different from what we had before and it's led to more good stories than bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cartridgeblowers posted:

“But the movies,” said a shareholder

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Krakoa is gonna have Apocalypse as its protector to guarantee the survival of mutants. His changed perspective shows him now as valuing community and working together as strength rather than power.

Xavier will reopen a school and maybe a community around it to integrate humans and mutants. Hey what a coincidence that Kamala has a supporting cast of school age characters that can join her there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
While I think most of the events are actually good (currently really enjoying AXE) the interruptions make it feel to me like we haven't even close to explored what life is like on krakoa enough. And then when they do micro level stuff, I really liked the first year wave or so but it's been kind of inconsistent since that point, a lot of conflicting portrayals of characters. But i want those to keep going and for those things to be ironed out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The writing on both Immortal and Red have been standard-setting as they've always been, but I also can't help but feel that the substance of FoX over the past couple months has mostly just been the Council (and others) repeatedly hitting themselves in the dick over and over again and then afterwards saying "How could we have failed? Truly our hubris has overcome us"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That's what hubris is.

Anyway, on his Cerebrocast, Hickman made a comment that instead of Moira, the big Krakoa Era bad was going to be a big surprise and piss people off or something.

I'm convinced it was going to be Doug. And Immortal today is making me wonder if that's not where this is still going. That dude is up to something...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

danbanana posted:

That's what hubris is.

Anyway, on his Cerebrocast, Hickman made a comment that instead of Moira, the big Krakoa Era bad was going to be a big surprise and piss people off or something.

I'm convinced it was going to be Doug. And Immortal today is making me wonder if that's not where this is still going. That dude is up to something...

I think a good guess is Doug and/or Warlock. Warlock would definitely fit in with the Phalanx and everything that was set up in House and Powers of X, and he snuck in scenes of them acting kinda suspicious.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I think a good guess is Doug and/or Warlock. Warlock would definitely fit in with the Phalanx and everything that was set up in House and Powers of X, and he snuck in scenes of them acting kinda suspicious.

There's a line in Inferno from Omega Sentinel when they got Days of Future Past'd about a machine betrayer that definitely seemed to refer to Warlock (or Douglock). Maybe the intent was a double switch or something.

Also it just hit me that Hickman's original idea might be OS's timeline......

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's becoming kind of tough to read some of the comics lately for me because I have a hard time with books (or any media) where you just see good situations crumbling around good characters and they can't see the whole picture. Like every time Colossus is around I keep thinking "okay now's when they have to notice he's being controlled!" *wait another month* ".... okay now is when they have to notice!" But it's not entertaining like Sinister scheming because at least Sinister cracked jokes. The tragedy of Colossus (well, I guess Mikhail, really) dragging Krakoa down is sad.

I just want a little joy in these poor bastards' lives. What I'm saying is gently caress the Hellfire Gala, give me a softball game you cowards.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Don't think you can really get rid of Krakoa without also finishing off with Orchis or at least Moira and I doubt that's happening with FoX.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Warlock's dead but at least Doug's safe. :3

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, now doug has an even larger husband.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bel vs Krakoa

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Last issue of Rogue and Gambit came out. This was the strongest issue by far, especially during the mind control fight, but my original complaints remain largely unchanged. I think Manifold was wasted as the plot McGuffin, which had no payoff and seemed to only to exist to set up future plots. It also cast Rogue in a really bad light, given she uses the mind control tech to force Eden into Destiny's plan. Anyway, I hope he gets more agency when whatever story they are saving him for actually lands.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well they keep saying that Manifold must live and he's one of the primary targets for Orchis so I'm sure he'll come back in a big way.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's lame that Manifold is off the table for now because he was great in Red

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

La Louve Rouge posted:

I think it's lame that Manifold is off the table for now because he was great in Red

Agreed. Half the reason I gave this mini-series a chance is because of how much I loved the character in Red. It's obvious they have something big planned for him down the road, I just hope that story is worth it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I don't like the Lethal Legion team and I just want an ongoing book with my classic New Mutants.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Beerdeer posted:

I don't like the Lethal Legion team and I just want an ongoing book with my classic New Mutants.

I miss Vita Ayala writing NM.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vita was so good on New Mutants that I'm kind of ashamed at myself for not checking out their Nebula series. May have to pull that up on Marvel Unlimited.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

Vita was so good on New Mutants that I'm kind of ashamed at myself for not checking out their Nebula series. May have to pull that up on Marvel Unlimited.

I'm pretty sure that only the first or maybe first and second issue got published and then no news came out what happened to the series

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm pretty sure that only the first or maybe first and second issue got published and then no news came out what happened to the series

That is very disappointing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. People thought maybe the pandemic did something to it but that's been three years and no word.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was putting together a list of books for a potential reread and stumbled when I got to Children of the Atom. I hadn't realized that they had written that series, which I liked more than most people but still thought was pretty mediocre. Certainly a far cry from New Mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

For some reason I thought Children of the Atom was by Tini Howard, but no that was Vita as well. Heard it picked up towards the end, but but apparently never really found it's audience.